Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2021, 09:22   #166
BHPian

Re: BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!

I am not happy with the handling of the car. Mine is a sdrive xline 20d october 2019 model.
Brakes are grabby with a lot of pitch and nose dive and significant body roll. Need a solution for this.Will switching over to Bilstein B6 fronts only help control body roll? Will changing the springs affect warranty? Or should i just move over to a sedan? But i love the engine and appreciate the boot space( the only reason i chose it over the 3 series). Suggestions please.
Old 15th April 2021, 11:12   #167
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

After the 3rd tire burst I've faced with the Pirelli C7 RFTs on a deserted highway and causing significant delays to my trip, I think I'm finally ready to kiss them goodbye for good.

Tire size currently is 225/50/R18. I'm torn between a lot of choices.

Should I go with a good Tubeless or stick to RFTs from companies likes Michelin ZP or Conti?

Is there any need to upsize from 225 to 245?

I need some good recommendations as soon as possible.

Thank You
Old 15th April 2021, 13:51   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namanchaudhary View Post

Should I go with a good Tubeless or stick to RFTs from companies likes Michelin ZP or Conti?

I would recommend you to switch to tubeless for a peace of mind ownership. In addition to the ride quality improving, it will also be light on the pocket. You should stick to stock setup.

You will never regret switching to tubeless. I can bet on that
Old 15th April 2021, 16:07   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namanchaudhary View Post

I need some good recommendations as soon as possible
We changed to 235/50 R18 Yokohama C-drive(tubeless)after our first tyre burst. The max tyre width allowed for the pre facelift X1's stock 7.5J rim is 235 so we decided to go for them eventhough it's just a small upsize.

Ditching the Pirelli RFTs considerably improved ride quality and nvh levels without any perceptible change in grip levels.

I would recommend you to go ahead with tubeless tyres as the only regret we have is the fact that we didn't take this plunge to switch earlier.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th April 2021 at 16:15. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 22nd August 2021, 17:44   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

Is it required to change to Neutral while waiting at the traffic lights? In the D mode, once the brakes (or the hand brake) are applied and the car stops, the transmission automatically shifts to Neutral and the engine feels completely relaxed. There is no need to shift the gear lever to Neutral all the time and I don't do it too.

If we stop on an incline with the leg-brakes applied; once we lift the leg from the brake lever, the car rolls back a little before it starts moving forward as the transmission is in Neutral. It takes a fraction of a second for the AT to realise / shift back to D mode. This does not happen if hand-brakes are applied as it takes that fraction of a second to release and also, there will be accelerator input at that point.
A noob question! When you say in the D mode, when brakes are applied, the transmission automatically shifts to Neutral. Is N displayed on the gear lever as well? I have a 2020 X1 expedition variant. However, I tried not shifting to neutral at signals, but the gear lever displays D only. So I am not sure if it shifts to neutral. Can X1 owners shed some more light on this please?
Old 23rd August 2021, 23:28   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
A noob question! When you say in the D mode, when brakes are applied, the transmission automatically shifts to Neutral. Is N displayed on the gear lever as well? I have a 2020 X1 expedition variant. However, I tried not shifting to neutral at signals, but the gear lever displays D only. So I am not sure if it shifts to neutral. Can X1 owners shed some more light on this please?
No, it doesn't shift to Neutral when the gear selector is in D and brakes are applied. D mode is engaged as the car starts moving again as soon as the brakes are lifted.
Old 24th August 2021, 16:28   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
No, it doesn't shift to Neutral when the gear selector is in D and brakes are applied. D mode is engaged as the car starts moving again as soon as the brakes are lifted.
Thanks for the clarification. I tried reading up on this but could not find anything online. At signals, when the brake is applied in D mode, I get worried that brake pads will wear off soon and hence shift the gear level to N mode. In hindsight I feel that might lead to transmission wear and tear. Do you know of an article that explicitly mentions this feature?
Old 24th August 2021, 16:49   #173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I tried reading up on this but could not find anything online. At signals, when the brake is applied in D mode, I get worried that brake pads will wear off soon and hence shift the gear level to N mode. In hindsight I feel that might lead to transmission wear and tear. Do you know of an article that explicitly mentions this feature?
A couple of clarifications.

1. Once the car is stationery, brake pads will not wear off. Brake pad wears off only till the wheels are in motion and the pads are engaged to the discs. So, please do not worry about brake pad wear off at signals.

2. The transmission in the X1 is a torque converter. In a torque converter, the power is transmitted to the wheels through an oil film. When the car is in D mode and the brakes are pressed, the input shaft just freewheels over this oil film. There is no wear and tear component involved here.

So, there is no need to shift the transmission to N at signals in a torque converter gear box.

PS: The car does not shift automatically to N when brake is depressed. In a torque converter, the gearbox stays in D mode and the input shaft just slips over the transmission oil film. When you lift the foot off the brake pedals, the oil film transfers power from the input shaft to the output shaft and the car starts moving.

Last edited by graaja : 24th August 2021 at 17:01.
graaja is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 17:30   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
A couple of clarifications.

PS: The car does not shift automatically to N when brake is depressed. In a torque converter, the gearbox stays in D mode and the input shaft just slips over the transmission oil film. When you lift the foot off the brake pedals, the oil film transfers power from the input shaft to the output shaft and the car starts moving.
Thank you for such a detailed explanation. This is useful. I drove a Polo DSG a year back and hence was used to shifting to neutral at signals. Old habits die hard. I can now stop continuing my search for an article that explicitly mentions this. Coming from you, means a lot. Thanks once again!
RJ2285 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 15:43   #175
BHPian

Just got a X1 (Diesel). Wondering if I should go ahead with the BSI service packages as they are offering discounts for the first month of ownership. What is the typical service estimate for you guys? My runnings won't be too high (7-8k kms/year). If I do get one, I would probably go with the 3 year/40k or 5 year/60k.

Attaching the most recent price list for the same. Any help is appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BSI+warranty 2022..pdf (131.9 KB, 233 views)
Old 6th May 2022, 16:36   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
My runnings won't be too high (7-8k kms/year). If I do get one, I would probably go with the 3 year/40k or 5 year/60k.
BSI package would make sense only if your running is high (~15k km per year). With 7-8K km running, if you took the 3 year / 40K package, you would have covered about 25K km in 3 years and would have done 3 oil services and maybe one set of brake pads (if driven aggressively). You will not be utilising the 1.28L you pay for the package.

From the information I got from many users, it costs around 20K for an oil service and 20K for a set of brake pads.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 16:40   #177
Senior - BHPian

Dear Bhpians, please accept my sincere apologies for not updating the thread; reason being lack of enthusiasm during the last two years, due to Covid-19 in particular. I sincerely hope, each one of us have overcome the varying degrees of trauma, we all have undergone, during the recent times.

Let me begin with the list of events pending for update:

1. Oil Change Service (ODO: 22,300 Kms) and wiper blades replacement – 06/02/2020
2. Oil change service (ODO: 26,200 Kms) – 06/02/2021
3. Brake fluid change (ODO: 26,500 Kms) – 24/03/2021
4. Purchased Extended Warranty for the 6th year – 27/03/2021
5. Ceramic coat - maintenance service – 15/12/2021
6. Front Brake pad replacement (ODO: 29,800 Kms) – 17/12/2021
7. Tyre replacement - RFT to Tubeless (ODO: 30,000 Kms) - 27/12/2021
8. Full size spare wheel and boot modification - 30/01/2022
9. Oil Change Service (ODO: 30,900 Kms) – 28/02/2022
10. Crankshaft Pulley Vibration Damper assembly and Battery replacement – 05/04/2022
11. Insurance renewal – Tata Aig – 06/06/2022
12. Wiper blades replacement – 12/08/2022

As the list is exhaustive, to avoid posting a lengthy article, I will split the same as required.

Dear Moderators; Back to back posts alert! Please feel free to merge the posts, if deemed appropriate. Also, kindly shift this thread to “Long-Term Ownership Reviews”.

1. Oil Change Service (ODO: 22,300 Kms) and wiper blades replacement – 06/02/2020

These were the times when International news started pouring-in, indicating concerns referred to the weird things happening in China- Wuhan province. Things quoted appeared so weird and fictional that this news itself, in general was heeded as entertainment, as we all know.

As the MID threw an alert indicating that the service is going to be due, I booked an appointment with Navnit Motors, Airport Road. Airport road service centre is less crowded and therefore I prefer to take the car there for service, even though I reside in South Bangalore. Infact, all the past services have been carried out there and the service delivery and experience has been top-notch, every single time. I usually leave the car by around 10am and take delivery the same afternoon between 2pm – 5pm, depending on the work scheduled.

I got the wiper blade changed during this service. Wiper blades are not covered under BSI (BSI+ covers that), which costed me approximately Rs.7, 500/- for a complete set of both front and rear wipers.

I usually have a practice of changing the wiper blades before monsoon, every alternate year. This way, the wipers will cover 2 monsoons, take the beating during the second summer heat and then the replaced wipers help prepare for the upcoming monsoon. Only this year, I was a bit early, since I had planned long trips and also, rainfall had become a bit unpredictable off late.

Engine Oil / Oil filter / Air filter / Fuel filter and Cabin AC filter were changed as per schedule. Oil change services cost anywhere between 20K - 25K, depending on the materials used. Things like Fuel filter for example, will not be changed during every service. All this is covered under BSI.

Service was done and the car was ready as ever, raring to go! And I had planned my travel, completely unaware of what is in store!

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-1.jpg

2. Oil change service (ODO: 26,200 Kms) – 06/02/2021

Running after the previous service was hardly about 4000 Kms. Even this was possible only since we were a part of the front-end support team. This was the first time in my life; I got the Oil change service done as per the elapsed time without completing the allowable mileage. Thanks to our family car Alto K10 AMT which was doing duty within the City limits.

As usual, after taking an appointment, I took the Car for service. Stringent safety protocol was observed right from the entry till the exit. No extra charges were levied in the name of consumables for sanitizing the Car, before or after the service.

Engine Oil / Oil filter / Air filter were changed as per schedule. This is covered under BSI.

3. Brake fluid change (ODO: 26,500 Kms) – 24/03/2021

Brake fluid change is covered under BSI. But the activity can be carried out only when the change becomes due and not even a few days earlier. Therefore I had to wait until the MID threw-up the alert and take the car back to the service centre. This can sometimes become a pain!

Never the less, activity was completed. Going to the service centre and meeting their staff is such a delight in itself, that I consider every visit as an opportunity for a long drive!

4. Purchased Extended Warranty for the 6th year – 27/03/2021

I had plans to purchase the 6th year extended warranty and had inquired about the cost during my visit to the service centre. Later on, I transferred the funds and completed the purchase. This costed me Rs.1, 23, 500 + GST. Now the car is covered under warranty (BRI) until 13th June, 2024.

Considering that BMW warranty is comprehensive with undebated coverage, I have no doubt that this is worth the money spent. Luxury cars with expensive spare parts are best enjoyed with warranty IMHO.

Right now I have BSI package for 5 years (13th June 2023) and have plans to extend it for upto 10 years. This could only be done towards the end of the existing term. Therefore, I will be purchasing the same during May 2023.

From my experience, considering my usage, I feel that the BSI is of value. But not sure about BSI+ though.

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-bmw-x1-warranty.jpg

5. Ceramic protection coat - maintenance service – 15/12/2021

I had purchased Ceramic protection with 4 years warranty. Yearly maintenance was due in the month of June 2020 and June 2021. Due to Covid restrictions and risk, I could not take the car for maintenance during the year 2020 and until December 2021. Therefore, I discussed with Ultimate Detailerz and asked them to provide one maintenance service for which they obliged.

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-ud.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-img0907.jpg

I am very happy with their job. Minor scratches on the RHS Bumper could not be covered / removed though.

6. Front Brake pad replacement (ODO: 29,800 Kms) – 17/12/2021

Received an Alert asking for the Brake pads to be changed within 1800 Kms. Got it replaced as I was planning to travel long distance. This costed me Rs.27, 000/- including Parts / Service / GST.

To be continued...
Chethan B G is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 19:29   #178
Senior - BHPian

7. Tyre replacement - RFT to Tubeless (ODO: 30,000 Kms) - 27/12/2021

RFTs and their associated harsh ride were the only low point of this car. The experience had become so bad that I had stopped enjoying the car at some point of time. Fellow Bhpian Ganesh and Dr.AD had suggested changing the tyres to Continental CSC5 RFTs / Michelin PS3 ZP, which I had thought for some time. But eventually, dropped the idea of continuing with RFTs and settled for Tubeless tyres.

Stock rating of X1 – M Sport is 225/50 R18 95W. Tyre width is not an issue; slight increase in width could help though, coupled with quality rubber. More importantly, I wanted to have a slightly thicker profile this time so as to decrease the harshness. Since the Car is an M-Sport variant, suspensions are lowered by 10mm and are also stiffer compared to the lower variants. Therefore, going with 235 50/R18 would increase the profile and add 10mm to the Ground clearance (making it similar to the other variants). 118mm thickness of the Tyre side wall is good for our roads too.

To begin with, the choice was between Michelin PS4 and Continental Sports contact 5. Later Vredestein Ultrac Vorti got in to the contest and won the race, as PS4 was not available. A discussion with Bhpian Santosh Bhat cleared all my doubts regarding the same.

Ultimately, Vredestein Ultrac Vorti – 235/50 ZR18 101W made the cut. All 4 tyres put together costed Rs.76, 000 including GST. A rating of 101 ensures that the tyres can handle heaver load than the stock RFTs. Also, ZR rating adds protection to the RIM.

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-vuv-tyres.jpg
Courtesy: https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Vre...trac-Vorti.htm

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-1.jpg

I have driven the car for roughly about 3500 Kms after tyres are changed. Difference is phenomenal to say the least.

• Lovely looking tyres designed by Giugiaro of Italy.
• It took almost 500 Kms for the tyres to properly bed-in.
• Steering feel and feedback is FAR better. Controls at high speeds have transformed and I feel more confident.
• Ride quality has improved by leaps and bound.
• Tyres are much gripper and Brake feel has improved.
• Tyres are absolutely silent when compared to RFTs. Need to check after 15k Kms.
• Optimal cold tyre pressure; City 32- Highway 34.

All in all, enjoying the ride!

8. Full size spare wheel and boot modification - 30/01/2022

With the tyres changed to Tubeless, I needed a proper spare tyre. The donut provided was already 5mm smaller in radius compared to the stock tyres. With the new tyres, the difference would be 15mm which is more than half an inch. Also, with limited range it was not a practical solution given my usage.

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-img_0911.jpg

Therefore, I purchased an 18 inch Y spoke - Type 569 Alloy from BMW @ 45k, to be used as a spare wheel. As I wanted to restrict the space occupied by the spare tyre inside the boot, went ahead with stock rating of Vredestein Ultrac Vorti. That is 225/50 ZR18 99Y XL @ Rs.16,000 including GST.

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-spare-rim.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-img_1105.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-img_1104.jpg

I had to lift the boot floor by about an inch. Used wooden pieces all round to achieve the same as shown in the photographs below. Later on, I topped it up with a rubber lining to avoid rattle from within the boot.

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-2.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-3.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-4.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-5.jpg

A big Thanks to Ganesh, Dr.AD and Santosh Bhat !

To be continued...!
Chethan B G is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 18:04   #179
Senior - BHPian

9. Oil Change Service (ODO: 30,900 Kms) – 28/02/2022

This time around, the Oil change service alert appeared after an addition of approximately 4500 Kms. Obviously it is a time bound service schedule which got activated. Routine work such as changing engine oil / oil filter / air filter / cabin filter was carried out; absolutely event-less activity as usual. I am very happy with the services provided by BMW Navnit Motors.

Service was covered under BSI, if not would have costed me about 25k.

10. Crankshaft Pulley Vibration Damper assembly and Battery replacement – 05/04/2022

I had been to Shimoga for a weekend trip. While returning back from Shimoga, after filling up the fuel tank, I thought of getting the tyre air pressure checked. While at it, I noticed that there was a bit of rough noise from the engine bay. Once back to Bangalore, took the car to the service centre and got it checked. The SA after checking informed that the noise is due to a faulty / worn out Vibration Damper. Part was ordered and was replaced under warranty, along with the associated drive belts and fasteners. I was told that this is a regular wear and tear item!

Meanwhile the Battery being almost 4 years old, had become week and was showing symptoms of failure; typically taking a longer time to crank the engine. The same was checked and replaced under warranty.

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-vibration-damper.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-vd-parts.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-vd-labor.jpg

Every thing was covered under warranty. This time around, I had to collect the car after 2 days.

11. Insurance renewal – Tata Aig – 06/06/2022

From the last couple of years, I have been getting the Car insurance from Tata Aig. As a matter of fact, I have not had any Insurance claim from the past 15 years! Insurance premium for the current year was approximately Rs.53, 500/- after 50% NCB.

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-insurance.jpg

12. Wiper blades replacement – 12/08/2022

It was time for wiper blades to be replaced. Called the service centre and made sure that the wipers were in stock. Couple of days later, when I was on that part of the City, got the wipers replaced. This time though, a complete set of front + rear wipers costed me Rs.9, 500/-; a good 2000 bucks (30%) rise in 2 years!

Time for some pictures!

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-dsc2676.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-dsc2680.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-dsc2682.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-dsc2684.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-dsc2687.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-dsc2691.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-dsc2693.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-dsc2695.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-dsc2698.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-dsc2700.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-dsc2701.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-dsc2703.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-dsc2704.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-dsc2706.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-dsc2770.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-dsc2771.jpg

Enjoying the ride to the hilt! Now that the "All Wheel Drive" is no more being offered with the BMW-X1, my car being M-Sport X-Drive 20d becomes quite unique, which adds to the novelty factor!

A long read indeed! Thanks For your patience!!
Chethan B G is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 09:14   #180
BHPian

Excellent Chethan bro. Enjoy the uniqueness of the X Drive X1. I have the same car in Estoril Blue. I have done 5 years with it. I want to replace it with an X3 or X4 but with the prices and taxes going up I am in two minds. The particular model we have seems total value for money right now.
XDriver is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks