Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2022, 09:53   #181
BHPian

Re: BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!

Chethan, good to see your updates after so long. About your spare wheel, which is in a smaller size than the rest of the tyres, are you sure it will be fine with your xdrive?

Typically xdrive vehicles have strict requirements on the difference in rolling circumference allowed, without which you can have problems with the differentials / transfer case, as the system detects and tries to correct for slip when there is none.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1142647
d3mon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 13:49   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDriver View Post
Excellent Chethan bro. Enjoy the uniqueness of the X Drive X1. I have the same car in Estoril Blue. I have done 5 years with it. I want to replace it with an X3 or X4 but with the prices and taxes going up I am in two minds. The particular model we have seems total value for money right now.
Thanks!

Used car prices are sky rocketing. Won't be surprised if you get 35+L for a well maintained five year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Chethan, good to see your updates after so long. About your spare wheel, which is in a smaller size than the rest of the tyres, are you sure it will be fine with your xdrive?

Typically xdrive vehicles have strict requirements on the difference in rolling circumference allowed, without which you can have problems with the differentials / transfer case, as the system detects and tries to correct for slip when there is none.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1142647
Thanks d3mon!

I agree with you on the technical front.

The spare wheel is meant for emergency use. Nothing more. If I wanted to rotate tyres, I would have stuck with the same pattern as the other four and then, gone ahead with a similar 235mm wide tyre.

Donuts are very skinny. Just enough to scrape through an emergency situation IMO. And once used over long distance, it has to be replaced which in itself is a recurring cost. I wanted something better as I travel to remote places frequently. If I have a puncture, I can get it fixed within a maximum range of 25 Kms, anywhere in Karnataka. But in case I have a Tyre damage which requires replacement, it will be tough to source the same Tyre for replacement outside of Bangalore. This spare tyre will be better to drive, say about 500 Kms, with a maximum speed of 80-100 Kms, get back to Bangalore and get a new Tyre of the same brand and specification.

In any case, spare tyres are only for emergency use and are always a compromise. I honestly don't think when used cautiously and sparingly, it will have an ill-effect on the car.

Couple of pictures I had missed:

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-_dsc2769.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-_dsc2773.jpg

Honda Jazz ZX CVT replaced our family City car Maruthi Alto K10 AMT very recently.
Chethan B G is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 15:30   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

Meanwhile the Battery being almost 4 years old, had become week and was showing symptoms of failure; typically taking a longer time to crank the engine. The same was checked and replaced under warranty.
Thanks for sharing the interesting updates and it seems you stay near DLF Westend Heights . I had a specific question around the replacement of battery - does BMW cover battery replacement after a duration of 4 years under warranty as well?
Old 5th September 2022, 15:36   #184

Your X1 with M sport kit looks sweet even after so many years. Does anyone know if the M sport front bumper can be retrofitted into a regular X1(expedition or xline)? the fog light placement and the way front bumper blends into the fender and wheel well look very similar . Our x1 is nearing 5 years now, a small cosmetic upgrade with a stage 1 remap is on the cards. This aesthetic mod might help us keep the car for 2 more years.
Old 5th September 2022, 16:58   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_sanjib View Post
I had a specific question around the replacement of battery - does BMW cover battery replacement after a duration of 4 years under warranty as well?
BMW cars have standard warranty for 2 years, which can be extended for 4 more years. Warranty is comprehensive; Terms and coverage do not differ between standard and extended warranty.

Batteries and even suspensions are covered under warranty. Speaks volumes about their confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitish B Shetty View Post
Your X1 with M sport kit looks sweet even after so many years.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitish B Shetty View Post
Does anyone know if the M sport front bumper can be retrofitted into a regular X1(expedition or xline)? the fog light placement and the way front bumper blends into the fender and wheel well look very similar . Our x1 is nearing 5 years now, a small cosmetic upgrade with a stage 1 remap is on the cards. This aesthetic mod might help us keep the car for 2 more years.
Should be possible to source. Even the ride height is lowered in a M-Sport. Suspension is different. Unless you carryout every change, looks will not be the same. Can get very complex and expensive.

Did you try with the service center?

A remap is much simpler I guess. Maybe you can try changing the alloys to have a new look and feel.
Chethan B G is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 18:40   #186

Quote:

Should be possible to source. Even the ride height is lowered in a M-Sport. Suspension is different. Unless you carryout every change, looks will not be the same. Can get very complex and expensive.

Did you try with the service center?
We are waiting for our 5 year BRI to run out before making such modifications, so haven't asked the service center yet. Our plan is only the front bumper, just to spruce it up from the front. If i suggest suspension and other work on the car, dad will probably sell my car to get the job done on his X1, so that's not an option
Nitish B Shetty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 21:21   #187
BHPian

Wouldn’t 235 profile tyres void warranty and create problems with ABS and other sensors because they are calibrated for 225
Old 5th September 2022, 21:52   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi58 View Post
Wouldn’t 235 profile tyres void warranty and create problems with ABS and other sensors because they are calibrated for 225
Every part, hardware or the software will be designed to work within a set tolerance. It means to state that, any specification is not an absolute value and will stay true to it’s function as long as the system works within the set tolerance.

For the wheels in general, the tolerance in diameter is + 2%. As long as the change is within limits, everything functions as per norms.

In this case, the difference is 1.5% which is well within limits.

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-0490e58beda34b4fbe4e33d20ac5092b.jpeg

https://www.thetyreworld.in/tyre-calculator.php

When the changes happen within acceptable tolerance, it doesn’t effect warranty. Or at the most, the company may refuse warranty for related parts in case of failure, which is very rare.

And also; there is a difference between changing all the tyres to a specific value and randomly changing a few tyres to a different value. The latter can be dangerous.

That is, for example; if I had randomly retained 2 tyres with 225 width and changed the other two to 235, it would have confused the electronics big time and got me in to trouble.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 5th September 2022 at 22:07.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 12:41   #189
BHPian

Quote:

With the tyres changed to Tubeless, I needed a proper spare tyre. The donut provided was already 5mm smaller in radius compared to the stock tyres. With the new tyres, the difference would be 15mm which is more than half an inch. Also, with limited range it was not a practical solution given my usage.

Therefore, I purchased an 18 inch Y spoke - Type 569 Alloy from BMW @ 45k, to be used as a spare wheel. As I wanted to restrict the space occupied by the spare tyre inside the boot, went ahead with stock rating of Vredestein Ultrac Vorti. That is 225/50 ZR18 99Y XL @ Rs.16,000 including GST.
Hello Sir, I have gone through the entire thread of BHPians' woes with the RFTs and Donut on the X1. This is a fantastic decision you made to get a full size spare and a very simple solution to lift up the boot floor.

I was just advising a friend for the full size spare on the X1 and I have recommended that he get a 17 inch alloy from BMW and go with the 225/55R17 size so that both the alloy and tyre put together work out much cheaper than the 18 inchers, there's no difference in ground clearance (diameters are matched) and there is no loss of performance when it is put into use.
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 13:32   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberGuru1113 View Post
I was just advising a friend for the full size spare on the X1...
Wish I could do similarly with my G20 3. But the normal boot space is pathetic and a full size spare will make it worse.

Any idea if I can buy compatible steel wheels? Never seen a 17" steel wheel though
Old 13th September 2022, 15:03   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Any idea if I can buy compatible steel wheels? Never seen a 17" steel wheel though
I tried to source one, but could not get one with 112 pcd. 😊

But the steel rim doesn’t take any less space, as the thickness required for storage is dictated by the tyre width which is anyway wider then a Steel rim or an alloy.
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 15:05   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Oops, ok - I also looked extensively but could not locate a seller in India. There are loads available for the Thar etc. though.

I also don't want to pay BMW India 50K for a OEM alloy either, hence was looking at a significantly cheaper steel rim. There are compatible alloys available on OLX etc. but either asking for too much or selling as a set of 4.

Last edited by itwasntme : 13th September 2022 at 15:15.
Old 13th September 2022, 15:40   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also don't want to pay BMW India 50K for a OEM alloy either, hence was looking at a significantly cheaper steel rim.
Specifications are as below:

Steel RIM - 7.5Jx17 ET50
PCD 112 - 5 lug pattern
66.6mm Bore Diameter
THD 14x1.25
Load rating 110

Quote:
There are compatible alloys available on OLX etc. but either asking for too much or selling as a set of 4.
But they are the used ones.

Try steel rims from the donuts given with X3 or X5. Those steel rims would match.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 15:44   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Wish I could do similarly with my G20 3. But the normal boot space is pathetic and a full size spare will make it worse.

Quote:
I tried to source one, but could not get one with 112 pcd. ��

But the steel rim doesn’t take any less space, as the thickness required for storage is dictated by the tyre width which is anyway wider then a Steel rim or an alloy.
Chethan sir is right, Steel/Alloy doesn't move the needle in terms of space.

Quote:
Oops, ok - I also looked extensively but could not locate a seller in India. There are loads available for the Thar etc. though.

I also don't want to pay BMW India 50K for a OEM alloy either, hence was looking at a significantly cheaper steel rim. There are compatible alloys available on OLX etc. but either asking for too much or selling as a set of 4.
There's a solution similar to what I had explained before - purchase a 16" rim from BMW if they still stock the rims of the older 3/5 series models which came with 225/55R16 size as stock fitment. They should match the diameter of your stock 225/50R17. Calculation attached below:-

Name:  17 to 16.JPG
Views: 831
Size:  38.7 KB

You can fit brands on the lower end of the price spectrum like Apollo or GoodYear in the 225/55R16 size which would cost you ~10k for 1 tyre. Savings from both the tyre and rim costs should be significant!!

Last edited by RubberGuru1113 : 13th September 2022 at 15:46.
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 13:42   #195

My X1 xline 20d recently popped up with a Brake fluid change warning. Booked an appointment at Navnit BLR and got this processed.

Further, I received a call from the service advisor that there is a programming update that is being carried on to the Digital Diesel Electronics (DDE) system that manages all the engine functions in BMW diesel models.

Can someone throw some light on this and elaborate about what has changed here.

Thanks in Advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks