Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2022, 22:30   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!

Update:

Installed a wireless mobile charger under the driver's armrest. This has been a very satisfying upgrade!

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-img2394.jpg
Purchased this from Amazon for $20. Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GZZX37F?ref=vse_pfo_vdp

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-img2402.jpg
The space under the driver's armrest tapers outwards and sideways too. Since the dimensions of the wireless charger is larger than the space at the bottom, I had to position it at a height of about 5 cm.

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-img2403.jpg
A simple DIY box to support the charger made out of 5 mm thick plastic sheet.

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-img2405.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-img2406.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-img2407.jpg

Wireless charger looks neet and works like a charm!
Chethan B G is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 01:14   #197

Tribute to prev gen BMW x1

My new car is an X1 (F48), Nov 2022 born. I didn't think I would post this here. But after seeing the responses (read flak) that the 2023 X1 got from Indian car enthusiasts, I changed my mind. I think F48 deserves a tribute, for one last time, via an ownership review and a new thread.

Like I posted before, I have been using a e90 sedan for 12 years and never felt the need to upgrade. But as people kept telling me about expenses that may come up, I thought it would be wise to trade this car for a new one while the e90 still can get some decent value.

I initially booked a xc40 recharge. But after careful consideration I realised this was an impulsive decision. The car drives more exciting than anything else. But I cannot do a Mumbai-Bangalore in one day in this. While I may not embark on such a journey at all, ruling out that option defeats the purpose of owning car which symbolises freedom.

I cancelled the booking of xc40 recharge. And this time, I decided to not go for an impulsive buy. I knew this would mean a little compromise here and there, but I will be able to live with the decision for a long time. I intend to keep the car for at least a decade as I tend to spend a lot to maintain my cars.

For various reasons I set a narrow band. Not lower than an entry level German car because after experiencing one it's difficult to accept the quality of the others. And not higher than an entry level German, as I would never take a loan to purchase a car. So the entry level was all that I could afford without risking my retirement.

But the entry level was not that bad a band. I got to test drive A class, A35 AMG, GLA, 3 series (including the long wheelbase), and mini etc. I didn't get time to check out Q3 and A4, but then the emission scandal was too fresh in my memory, so I didn't bother.

Of all these, if I had to go with my heart, I would go for A35 AMG. It felt like its a cross between a 3 series and a royal Bengal tiger. Nice sounds. Nimble and slippery. Lot of power. Once my retirement is secure, I will get this. But for now I have to think of accommodating two kids in the car and one of them is 6'3".

So it boiled down to GLA and X1.

Once again GLA's pub like nighttime ambience felt awesome. The fact it's a newer model of the two and the missing AWD variant in X1 almost made me favour the GLA 220D 4matic (GLA35 has too much power for the body style I felt). But, this time around, I decided to research a bit more and not just go by my heart.

With so many features in modern cars, it's easy to be lost over your priorities. So I had to write them down. So that I totally not get sold over some stupid fancy gadgetry.

1. Enough space for 4 people including at least one 6 feet plus person

GLA and X1 scored the same here

2. Adequate power - having been previously using a powerful car - at least 180 bhp

GLA and x1 scored same here

3. A trouble free gearbox - reliable and smooth enough for a good driving experience

X1 scored higher thanks to its AISIN gearbox (almost as good as the ZF in 3 series)

4. build quality - tight construction - refined

I felt, no idea why, x1 is better here

5. Reliability

JD Power gave a score of 86 in reliability to x1 and GLA got 80. So X1 scored here.

6. A large sunroof - this is because for other members of the family it was a big happiness feature

x1 scored here though it is only cosmetic.

It was clear that stuff like powered tailgate, fancy LCD screens, 65 million colours ambient lighting etc would have to be kept aside, if the decision has to be rationale.

Thus the scale tilted in favour of x1. While researching this, I realised how much crap is there in YouTube and auto mags in the name of reviews. Some reviews are outright dishonest. And most reviews don't even give basic technical info beyond what is there in the company press release.

So while it was again a BMW for sure, what created a new dilemma was the imminent launch of the new x1. What went against the wait for the new model was the discount that was being offered on the outgoing model. It was also a disappointment that there would not be the torque converter.

I must say, BMW must have reached a level with their DCTs that make it at least as reliable as the TC. Someday it was bound to happen. But a cleverly designed mechanical TC box is like a Swiss automatic watch whereas a DCT is a Japanese quartz. It feels sad that someday advancement in intelligent electronics will push the TCs out of business.

While DCT angle was known, what came as a surprise is BMWs choice of engine/power while bringing the new x1! I expected the 23D to be here. But I felt the 23D nomenclature may come a much higher price with not much more power (20 bhp more than the current 20D model). I thought the mild hybrids would give them an edge over Merc and match the power of the outgoing model. So I am surprised now seeing their launch. I still feel they will launch the mild hybrids at some point which will then justify their action somewhat.

However, my decision to go in favour of F48 could not have been influenced by the engine choice available in the new model. But the other factors like the discounts, the gearbox, the less radical design, and more than anything else - the JD Power reliability rating made me close the deal. In 2022, F48 has won the award for best car in small premium SUV category.

I knew that I will have to live with a few limitations when compared with a 320D.
1. A RWD low slung car is endowed with better physics than a boxy shape. So I cannot turn corners the same way I used to. But this cornering ability is not enjoyed by anyone other than the driver. And this car also have to accommodate them, so it was a small price to pay.
2. Since a new model is about to come, a notional loss of value may be imminent - but the reliability gearbox and the discount took care of this

The overall buying experience from Navnit was smooth. I visited only once. I didn't need to do PDI. I trusted the brand and they did not disappoint. The delivery was within 7 days of making full payment. These days delivery of a car that fast should attract a premium (figuratively speaking). I felt they got a great deal with my trade in car which was in scratches condition. I also felt they could have explained BSI pricing a little better. But overall I am not disappointed.

Initially I wanted a white car as I feel it looks most elegant. But dealer only had the black and storm bay (a shade of bluish grey) in stock. I loved the storm bay colour, which India comes without any premium unlike US and EU. Black looked fantastic but in our dusty conditions it's not wise to go for black. So storm bay it is.

I am driving the car for last three months. Three Lonavala trips and one Goa trip later, I can say confidently that I will keep this car for next 10 years.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-unknown1.jpeg  

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-unknown.jpeg  

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-unknown2.jpeg  

sankarx2 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 08:52   #198
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and purchase experience Shankar. Lovely colour and choice! Congratulations! Drive safe! ����
Old 19th February 2023, 12:14   #199
RJV

Congratulations Shankar on your purchase ! Bet you will enjoy this vehicle for years to come, especially the excellent engine - gearbox combo, the spacious interiors, excellent build quality and its practicality.

Being a fellow X1 F48 owner and having used my vehicle for 75000 kms in the last 5 years, I can vouch for this.

Enjoy the purchase.

Heres a pic of my car currently at around 76XXX kms.

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-img4564.jpg
RJV is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 00:00   #200
FNM
BHPian

My compliments to @Chethan BG and others who have contributed to this most informative and interesting Thread. Would one of you please tell me how many mm lower the M-Sport suspension is compared to the standard X1? Does this lower ride height cause the bottom to scrape over larger speed breakers? Also, I believe the M-Sport suspension Dampers (shock-absorbers) are stiffer.

Does this make the ride appreciably stiffer compared to a standard X1?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd March 2024 at 17:43. Reason: Minor spacing
Old 15th June 2023, 13:18   #201
Senior - BHPian

Hello Chetan,

I have picked up at 2017 X1 sDrive20d Expedition. I had a question about the ATF fluid replacement for the Aisin gearbox. While the ZF gearboxes of the previous get E84 X1 involve replacement of the oil pan with the inbuilt fillter it seems that the Aisin gearbox does not require this, only the oil replacement is part of the process. Could you confirm this?

I checked out the procedure on the ISTA application and that too does not indicate a step for replacement of the oil pan/filter.

Drive on,
Shibu

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd March 2024 at 17:43. Reason: minor spacing
Old 14th August 2023, 12:25   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJV View Post
Being a fellow X1 F48 owner and having used my vehicle for 75000 kms in the last 5 years, I can vouch for this.

Heres a pic of my car currently at around 76XXX kms.
Hi RJV what tyres are you running on your F48 ? Specs ?
Old 14th August 2023, 14:40   #203
RJV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Hi RJV what tyres are you running on your F48 ? Specs ?
Hi,

Its 225 / 55 R18. If I remember correctly had asked you for the tyre specs on another thread somewhere. I believe you have the same tyre specs.

Must say I am really satisfied with these extra sidewall height. The ride over rough broken roads is so much better. It general its more comfortable. How about your experience ?

How is your ownership experience going ?

I am currently at around 83k kms, starting to feel slight play in steering rack over bad roads. Any advice would be helful.
RJV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 19:57   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
[b]7.

I have driven the car for roughly about 3500 Kms after tyres are changed. Difference is phenomenal to say the least.

• Lovely looking tyres designed by Giugiaro of Italy.
• It took almost 500 Kms for the tyres to properly bed-in.
• Steering feel and feedback is FAR better. Controls at high speeds have transformed and I feel more confident.
• Ride quality has improved by leaps and bound.
• Tyres are much gripper and Brake feel has improved.
• Tyres are absolutely silent when compared to RFTs. Need to check after 15k Kms.
• Optimal cold tyre pressure; City 32- Highway 34.

All in all, enjoying the ride!
]
Hey Chethan,

How are the tyres holding up so far? Are you happy with them over the CC5? Do let us know.
Old 2nd October 2023, 16:36   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Hey Chethan,

How are the tyres holding up so far? Are you happy with them over the CC5? Do let us know.
Hi Red liner,

I have driven the car for about 10k Kms after the tyres were changed.

I should say that the tyres are phenomenal in terms of traction, grip and braking. My main concern was with the ride quality and that is now sorted out.

Planning a complete oil change of the transmission / four wheel drive. Will update shortly. 😊

Charmudi ghat drive! 😄
Attached Thumbnails
BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-img_3963.jpeg  

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-img_3962.jpeg  

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-img_3965.jpeg  

Chethan B G is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 17:41   #206
Senior - BHPian

Update: Even though the recommended maintenance schedule does not ask us to change the transmission / drive train fluids, I believe that changing all fluids once in 5 years / 70k Kms does wonders in enhancing the life of the mechanicals in any vehicle. I had done this for the Jetta earlier and now I went ahead with the same exercise for the X1 too.

I wanted to thoroughly check things post service, before updating the thread. Hence the delay!

Details are as follows:

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-20.jpeg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-21.jpeg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-22.jpeg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-23.jpeg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-quot.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-25.jpeg

> Angular-gearbox Fluid Replacement

Old oil was drained and fresh oil was filled. Drained oil was completely burnt / smelly and the volume was hardly 50% of the total capacity, which confirmed that replacing the oil was actually necessary.

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-agbo.jpg

> Rear axle differential fluid replacement

Condition of this oil was the worst. It was very dark and smelly.

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-rado.jpg

> Separate fluid reservoir for the AWD clutch system within the rear axle unit - fluid replacement

Same process was carried out here too. Old oil had almost evaporated!

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-rdco.jpg

> Transmission fluid replacement

A little debris in the old oil helps lock gears and therefore, completely flushing out the transmission fluid is not required. Old oil was just drained through the drain plug and the new oil was filled. This will not drain the oil from the torque converter which is not necessary as it is a common sump.

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-transmission-oil.jpg

> Radiator coolant was replaced during EGR recall. And therefore this was not required. Saved some money!

> AC Compressor fluid replacement

AC compressor fluid was replaced by drawing the oil out through the normal refrigerant filling process.

> Rear light housing on the driver side was replaced as it had a crack.

> Rodent repeller was purchased from Amazon and installed as a precautionary measure. Link: https://amzn.in/d/5CKwWPR

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-3.jpg

> BSI was extended to 10 years / 1,00,000 Kms as from my experience I found it to be of value.

> Oil change service was carried out as it was due. Engine oil, Oil filter, Air filter and AC filter were changed as per schedule under BSI.

> Ceramic coat – Yearly maintenance was carried out at Ultimate Detailerz. Excellent work as usual.

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-1.jpg

Service from KUN Exclusive is been excellent as usual. I could feel a major change in the performance. Car is much smoother now!

Few pictures taken after the work done at Ultimate Detailerz:

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-1b.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-1c.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-1d.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-2.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-4.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-5.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-6.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-7.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-9.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-10.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-11.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-12.jpg

Dear Moderators, kindly move this thread to long term ownership reviews.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 22nd March 2024 at 17:49.
Chethan B G is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 18:21   #207
BHPian

Good Heavens ! Looks like Chetan just drove this X1 from the showroom !

Would say it is better than new in reality cause of all the thoughtful mods.

I must say, I really like the alloy wheel design and the chunky Vredesteins just add to the look.

Any plans for a remap?
Redline6800 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 21:20   #208
BHPian

@Chethan B G thank you for documenting the journey at this level of detail.

I loved reading your Jetta thread as well.

I have a question that is partly(I'll explain the partly bit separately) related to your thread - The Carplay integration.

Did all iDrive 6 units with touchscreen come with Carplay?

Now the part that isn't related - I'm remotely researching a BMW that has iDrive 6 with touchscreen and navigation. How do I confirm if it has wireless Carplay? It has a VIN date of 08/2017 and is MY 2018.

Thank you in advance and wishing you many more miles of a wonderful journey in the //MSport.
cooldip is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 22:14   #209
BHPian

I wanted to add to this thread. I am getting a major thumping noise from the rear when going over some humps.

I feel it has something to do with the rear boot door and turning the small plastic nuts at the rear seems to reduce the noise a fair bit. But its still not completely noise free.

Have any of you experienced this before?

Thanks
mav2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 23:52   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post
Would say it is better than new in reality cause of all the thoughtful mods.

I must say, I really like the alloy wheel design and the chunky Vredesteins just add to the look.
Thanks Atul !

Vredestein tyres are excellent. I have driven around 15k Kms since I changed the RFT to Tubeless. The experience has been wonderful to say the least !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post
Any plans for a remap?
I am thinking of shifting to a Sedan by this year end or next year beginning. Let's see !

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldip View Post
@Chethan B G thank you for documenting the journey at this level of detail.

I loved reading your Jetta thread as well.

Thank you in advance and wishing you many more miles of a wonderful journey in the //MSport.
Thanks Cooldip ! Nice to know that going through my ownership experience has helped you !

Quote:
I have a question that is partly(I'll explain the partly bit separately) related to your thread - The Carplay integration.

Did all iDrive 6 units with touchscreen come with Carplay?
There are two parts that are required to have Carplay. First is the hardware - You require iD6 touch screen display, WiFi antenna and the controller. Second is the software patch along with the licence (VO).

In my case, car came with the hardware. Licence patch was installed at the dealership FOC since it was a pre-sale commitment.

Quote:
Now the part that isn't related - I'm remotely researching a BMW that has iDrive 6 with touchscreen and navigation. How do I confirm if it has wireless Carplay? It has a VIN date of 08/2017 and is MY 2018.
If it has Carplay enabled, it will automatically prompt once BT is connected. You can also check the Menu for the option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
I wanted to add to this thread. I am getting a major thumping noise from the rear when going over some humps.

I feel it has something to do with the rear boot door and turning the small plastic nuts at the rear seems to reduce the noise a fair bit. But its still not completely noise free.

Have any of you experienced this before?

Thanks
Hi Mav2000,

Boot lock in the X1 is designed for a motorized tailgate. But in India, they have not offered motorised tailgate. Because of this the lock sometimes doesn't latch on properly.

Get it aligned. It will be much better.
Chethan B G is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks