Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2018, 08:28   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek3001 View Post
Hello,
Has anybody received a call from their dealership regarding the global recall ( https://auto.ndtv.com/news/bmw-to-re...hazard-1936253 ) concerning BMW diesel engines?

My uncle, who owns a 2017 X1 diesel, recieved a call regarding a free checkup of the egr system and the battery terminals. Has anyone else received a similar call? Is the part of the global recall?

Thanks
No call specifically as yet. But I suspect that they would have checked it during the first service, which was carried out in October.

I have read about the faulty EGR cooling system. But what is it about the Battery terminals? What is the issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Hi Chethan,
How do you find the noise levels inside the cabin particularly tire noise? Recently test drove a X1 and was surprised by the poor levels of noise insulation inside the cabin particularly above 80-90 km/hr. The SA mentioned it is due to the RFTs, is it true?
Hi Sid,

NVH inside the cabin is much better then Jetta. But RFTs are very noisy. Makes weird noises depending on the road condition.
Old 11th December 2018, 16:14   #92
Senior - BHPian

Has any X1 owner checked if there is any possibility of keyless entry (Comfort Access)? It would be good to add this

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Hi Chethan,
How do you find the noise levels inside the cabin particularly tire noise? Recently test drove a X1 and was surprised by the poor levels of noise insulation inside the cabin particularly above 80-90 km/hr. The SA mentioned it is due to the RFTs, is it true?
I found it noisy initially but post 5k kms either I have gotten used to it or it has come down. After the first few kms when you start the day there isnt much noise inside
bottle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2018, 12:01   #93

Chethan, thanks for your detailed report. It was very helpful in making up my mind on upgrading my E90 320d - With a PETROL X1. To further the cause, I just posted my E90 in TeamBHP classifieds. May I ask your opinion [and that of other BMW die-hards] on my plan. I searched far and wide for professional Indian reviews specific to the petrol engine X1, but did not find any! Do let me know your thoughts on this pick, based on my situation described below.

1. I am a city dweller and will possibly do 90% or higher of monthly mileage within Bangalore city.
2. My personal car commute is mostly home-office-home, as I prefer taxis for other trips. In other words, low miles per month overall.
3. I travel a lot, and therefore the car will be sitting in the basement for many days each month.
4. I don't mind spending a bit more each month on fuel cost compared to diesel.
5. I hope to keep this one for 6-8 years, or longer!
6. I assume diesel cars will increasingly become unsustainable due to tightening of regulations. Of course only over a 5-10 year horizon.

While I am sure the petrol version will be more engaging to drive anytime, I am a bit worried that I hardly see any petrol X1 selling. The BMW sales folks told me only 5% of X1 buyers go petrol.

I would be grateful for your opinions on my off-beat plan!
Old 9th January 2019, 14:20   #94
Senior - BHPian

Chetan or anyone, can you please help me identify if it is possible to use a scissor jack with the X1 ? Looking at the underbody I couldnt identify any central mounting point for a scissor jack and i also believe BMW use a custom mount for the jack that comes with the car

@virgo, any updates on your decision ? At times I feel that I should have waited for the petrol as well
Old 12th January 2019, 11:27   #95

@bottle, still waiting for the petrol x1. Apparently not many are asking for it, so no new production runs. I have not booked yet because the dealer asked me for booking deposit even though it will be on company lease. Will wait till it's available in stock and open for test drives.
Old 21st January 2019, 11:55   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Has any X1 owner checked if there is any possibility of keyless entry (Comfort Access)? It would be good to add this
+1 to the above keyless entry and if it is possible to add front parking sensors, cruise control and headsup display (default for M Sport xDrive but for other variants)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo129 View Post
@bottle, still waiting for the petrol x1. Apparently not many are asking for it, so no new production runs. I have not booked yet because the dealer asked me for booking deposit even though it will be on company lease. Will wait till it's available in stock and open for test drives.
The closest experience would be to TD a Mini as it is based on the same platform so FWD and must be FTD too? Let me know how this goes?
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 14:08   #97

Quote:
Chethan, thanks for your detailed report. It was very helpful in making up my mind on upgrading my E90 320d - With a PETROL X1. To further the cause, I just posted my E90 in TeamBHP classifieds. May I ask your opinion [and that of other BMW die-hards] on my plan. I searched far and wide for professional Indian reviews specific to the petrol engine X1, but did not find any! Do let me know your thoughts on this pick, based on my situation described below.

1. I am a city dweller and will possibly do 90% or higher of monthly mileage within Bangalore city.
2. My personal car commute is mostly home-office-home, as I prefer taxis for other trips. In other words, low miles per month overall.
3. I travel a lot, and therefore the car will be sitting in the basement for many days each month.
4. I don't mind spending a bit more each month on fuel cost compared to diesel.
5. I hope to keep this one for 6-8 years, or longer!
6. I assume diesel cars will increasingly become unsustainable due to tightening of regulations. Of course only over a 5-10 year horizon.

While I am sure the petrol version will be more engaging to drive anytime, I am a bit worried that I hardly see any petrol X1 selling. The BMW sales folks told me only 5% of X1 buyers go petrol.

The new Petrol X1 Engine is BS6 Compliant and a new engine in 2019, Come April 2020 and no non compliant car can be registered as per SC laws. I am personally a big Petrol engine fan, And am eyeing the Petrol X1 as well but Germans are famous for their Diesels, and May be BMW has stock of BS4 or BS5 Diesel engines and hence they release petrol cars less often - But yes their diesel has much better torque than the petrol.
maddylaw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2019, 13:31   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hi Virgo, Sorry for the delay in my response. Petrol X1 is fantastic to drive. Go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
+1 to the above keyless entry and if it is possible to add front parking sensors, cruise control and headsup display (default for M Sport xDrive but for other variants)?
Upgrades on a BMW is a lot tricky and complicated. I personally would not suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
The closest experience would be to TD a Mini as it is based on the same platform so FWD and must be FTD too? Let me know how this goes?
Yes. The closest experience would be to TD a Mini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddylaw View Post
The new Petrol X1 Engine is BS6 Compliant and a new engine in 2019, Come April 2020 and no non compliant car can be registered as per SC laws. I am personally a big Petrol engine fan, And am eyeing the Petrol X1 as well but Germans are famous for their Diesels, and May be BMW has stock of BS4 or BS5 Diesel engines and hence they release petrol cars less often - But yes their diesel has much better torque than the petrol.
In my opinion, experiences cannot be compared; both are enjoyable. Diesel for it's Torque and Petrol for it's spirited drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post

It's good to see that you are getting good service from Navnit Motors. Hope that continues for long and hope they keep their word on Apple CarPlay.
At last Apple CarPlay has been updated in my Car.

From my understanding, Basic Navigation head unit was not compatible for Apple CarPlay and therefore BMW took time. NBT Neo HU was the nearest compatible one. I had read in Auto Forums that BMW was working on the software to make Basic Navigation HU compatible. There was no hardware change required. Surprisingly, the HU on my Car even had the WiFi Antenna!

I am glad that Navnit Motors / BMW held on to their Sale commitment. That helps build trust. I thank Navnit Motors for their services.

RFT: One of the RFT's had a puncture, which was plugged by the usual means at my regular Tyre shop. When I discussed this with the Service adviser, he had recommended it to be replaced. But I was not sure as I had not faced any problems. Following this, one of the other Tyre's side wall got damaged due to a steel rod protruding out of a man-hole cover in the center of the street!

After this incident, I got both the tyres replaced under BMW Secure. I had to spend 20k including Insurance excess. Now two of the tyres are brand new and the other two have about 5.5 - 6 mm thread depth left.

@ 14k Kms on the ODO, the second service is due in about 3k Kms as per the iDrive. It has been extremely satisfying to drive this car!
Chethan B G is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 20:39   #99
BHPian

Dear sir,
I am getting an offer of 32L for 14k run 2017 BMW X1 M sport AWD and 30L for 10k run 2018 BMW X1 s drive 20d. Both these quotes are from BMW premium used car section in the dealership. Do you recommend the BMW premium certified used cars? What is the average maintenance cost for a year? How much is the insurance premium? Can BMW secure be subscribed on used BMW deals.? I am currently waiting for Seltos after booking one. BMW X1 was a wild card entry. 30 L is slightly more that what I can afford, but I can stretch a bit and BMW is offering finace at 10.5% which is fairly ok. Your comments please and What should I look out for when I see the cars.
Old 22nd July 2019, 23:02   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
I am getting an offer of 32L for 14k run 2017 BMW X1 M sport AWD and 30L for 10k run 2018 BMW X1 s drive 20d. Both these quotes are from BMW premium used car section in the dealership. Do you recommend the BMW premium certified used cars?
Hi Sandygorden,

Price is always negotiable and you having seen the car in flesh and blood, would be the best to decide. You can check with the open used-car market for reference.

Technically, both deals look good to me. AWD or FWD depends on your usage and requirements. If you plan to keep the car for a long time, would recommend an AWD.

BMW certified used car definitely give a sense of confidence. But look at other options too, at-least for negotiations.

Quote:
What is the average maintenance cost for a year?
About 25k on an average every 10k Kms / 1 year.

Quote:
How much is the insurance premium?
I have taken BMW Secure (BMW_Secure.pdf) which costed me about 32k.

Along with BMW Secure, I have taken Motor insurance from United India (No cashless facility), for about 36k (50% NCB), covering the following;

1) IDV - Rs. 30 lacs
2) Zero depreciation - Covering B2B
3) Engine / gear box protection against Hydro-static lock.
4) Third party & own damage cover

I have not had any insurance claims from the past 12 years. Only risk I see is with the Tyre / Alloys damage in this car. BMW secure covers that and does not effect my NCB.

Therefore, opted for this combination. I obviously ignored Consumable coverage and Cashless feature.

Insurance for these premium cars is practically like "Shop until you drop!"

Quote:
Can BMW secure be subscribed on used BMW deals.?
Yes. Also, please take the maximum extended warranty available.

Quote:
Your comments please and What should I look out for when I see the cars.
Look for service history from the authorized dealership. If it has not gone through anything other than regular maintenance, it should be OK. Also, check for under body / suspension damages and unusual sound.

Unusual wear of Brake pads / Tyres are the other things you can keep an eye on.

All the best!
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 23:45   #101
BHPian

Hi Chethan, How is your once year of M sport ownership experience ?
yamdoot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 17:39   #102
BHPian

Hi, Chetan. I am a new member. Coming from a Jetta highline DSG, I purchased the x1 xline sdrive. I find the ride unsettled with an excessive body roll. Driven the car for 2 months and 7500 kms. It seemed to get better after tyres changed to Conti CPC2 tubeless. Ride is a bit sorted now. Did you face any of these issues initially with the new car? Will upgrading the suspension to Bilstein B6 help?
Old 20th October 2019, 20:29   #103
BHPian

Hello members,

I wanted to know if it is possible to change the run flat tires with normal tubeless ones at the time of purchase? I am factoring in the cost factor of replacement of run flats after running the car with a puncture.

Has someone done that? Is it fine to do this?
Old 20th October 2019, 22:30   #104
BHPian

I have changed my tyres from runflats to tubeless and it is wonderful. The dance is gone. But still not a jetta. Maybe mine is a sdrive on 17 inch wheels and the msport on 18 inchers and the sport suspension would be the factor.
Arunsedanlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 15:49   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-riedAway View Post
I wanted to know if it is possible to change the run flat tires with normal tubeless ones at the time of purchase? I am factoring in the cost factor of replacement of run flats after running the car with a puncture.
For the 1st year, X1 comes covered under BMW Secure program wherein you get replacement for 4 tyres in a year.

You would be required to pay depreciation cost with respect to tread left.

225 55 R17
Michelin P3ST Tubeless: Rs. 11,000
Michelin P3ZP RFT: Rs. 15,000

RFT is worth the additional cost.

Plus BMW will void suspension warranty upon changing tyres to tubeless if in case any claims related to suspension comes up.

During touring, 2 situations I got a flat tyre; I had to drive X1 for some distance before halting. Had it been tubeless I be having changing tyre at an unsafe location.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks