Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2022, 20:10   #46

Re: Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 50,000 km completed!

Thought of buying second hand. But, Roth fiat aftersales and service and my current challenges with Punto diesel 90hp dropped that option and looking for latest in the market today.
Varun7774 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 19:40   #47
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 50,000 km completed!

Good to see the updates on this pocket rocket.I seriously followed this thread and was pretty close to buy a pre owned white Abarth, which was probably the first one delivered in kochi, kerala.But my car enthusiasts friends were strictly against it citing the service issues on a car brand which left India.However now im a happy owner of a preworshipped Ford Ecosport ecoboost, loving the turbo rush with every mile.
My family is still scratching their heads at my decision though.🤣🤣
arunedwin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 13:29   #48
BHPian

Hi Cogwheel. I have a 2017 Abarth which is approaching 30K now. Service schedule booklet apart, what are the checks that you recommend. No issues with the car. She continues to be a joy and is sparingly used as I generally prefer the my Compass 4x4 in such areas and roads but I do feel a loss of overall "smoothness" which tells me a detailed service and inspection is due.

What is your experience of upgrading the IC in terms of response and drivability ? I have the same Garett core one lying around with me since the last one year. Binoy of Stellar Tc had told me it is Bolt On. Is it absolutely so as I had seen a video on youtube for a project Abarth in India that shows brackets being installed in the front frame.

I have not got it installed as presently I am at a remote place in the NE. I am moving to Hyderabad in Dec. Any recommendations regarding a good Fiat service and mod establishment in Hyderabad ?
Old 2nd November 2022, 20:36   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cav View Post
Hi Cogwheel. I have a 2017 Abarth which is approaching 30K now. Service schedule booklet apart, what are the checks that you recommend....

What is your experience of upgrading the IC in terms of response and drivability ?

Any recommendations regarding a good Fiat service and mod establishment in Hyderabad ?
Sticking to the checks and recommended actions in the service booklet is best. This would be the 5th year service. If the fourth year service has been done as recommended, then engine oil, oil filter, fuel filter and AC, pollen filter replacement would suffice with topping up of other fluids if required. However if not done in fourth year, then replace all other fluids i.e coolant, brake fluid, and gearbox oil.
If you have the Stella intercooler, I would recommend installing it. If done correctly, it does not require any cuts / welds / extra brackets. It's a neat, safe bolt on replacement. It does help, especially in summer. It prevents the drop in power on repeated pulls.
Since I do not live anywhere close to Hyderabad, I have no idea about service centers there. Others may chip in.

Happy miles! Cheers!
Old 3rd November 2022, 22:45   #50
BHPian

Thanks a ton for your inputs. Will surely keep them in mind.
Old 20th December 2022, 23:47   #51
BHPian

I've been following this thread for quite some time, and was longing to own an Abarth Punto for many years now. When I was in the market for a new car back in 2018, the Ecosport (now at 62,000 km) made better sense as a primary family car, so the Abarth didn't happen back then.

I've recently come across a used car deal of a 2018 Abarth that has run 70,000 km. I feel tempted to go for it, though they're quoting a high sum of 6.5L. There is also no real use for a second car for me right now. Do you feel I should take the plunge? Head vs Heart!
Old 29th June 2023, 15:33   #52
BHPian

The car completed five years in the last week of May 2023.
The ODO crossed 58,000 Kms last week. So, an average running of 11,400 kms / year or 950 kms / month.

It has the following minimal functional mods:
1. Larger intercooler (18” x 6” x 3”) with a Garret core - by Stellar Turbochargers.
2. Wolf switchable remap
3. Upsized tyres - Conti UC6 205/55/R16

On the cosmetic front, I have removed all the decals except for the go-fast stripes on the sides. I have a new set of replacement stickers purchased from FASS, but have put them in storage for now.

Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 50,000 km completed!-abarth_feb23_2.jpg

Have had one issue to report since the last update at 55K kms - a blown coolant hose.
I was driving with my wife from Mangaluru towards Chikmagaluru, via Charmadi – Belur, on a Saturday afternoon. At around 5:00PM, about six kilometres before Belur, I noticed the engine temperature rising and also received a MID warning. On opening the boot, saw that the coolant tank was empty and coolant sputtered around it. A closer look revealed that a 3-way connector near the base of the coolant return hose was completely broken. So the coolant must have drained away within minutes.

Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 50,000 km completed!-enginebay1m.jpg
The broken connector circled in blue

Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 50,000 km completed!-hoseconnectorbreak1.jpg

Fortunately, there was a FNG, called V2 Autocare, just about hundred metres from where he had stopped and I took the car care. As expected, it wasn’t possible to find a suitable 3-way connector. I called a SA FASS at KHT Pride, Mahadevpura in Bangalore whose number I had. He put me through to Mr. Gowda, the store manager who told me that the part which comes along with the three connecting hoses (one to engine block, second to radiator and third to coolant) was available. He promised that though the next day was a Sunday, he would arrange for issue of the part if someone could pick it up from the centre. The responsiveness of Mr. Gowda and his team at FASS, Mahadevapura, on a Sunday is much appreciated.

In the meanwhile, the resourceful guys at V2 Autocare lead by their supervisor Praveen, used QuickFix superglue and baking soda to provide a temporary fix. We filled up with distilled water and drove the 7 kms to KSTDC’s Hotel Maurya Yagachi and stayed there overnight.

Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 50,000 km completed!-inkedhoseconnectorbreakseal_1m.jpg
Connector "jugadified" with superglue and baking soda

I was trying to find ways of getting the part from Bangalore to Mangalore and had put a message here on the forum in the Mangalore-Bangalore road thread. TBHPian Samurai who was driving from Bengaluru to Mangaluru offered to help. However my brother and his wife who are in Bengaluru decided to make a day trip out of it, drove to Belur in their Kia on Sunday and dropped the part (and 4 liters of coolant) at the hotel.

On Sunday morning, leaving the car behind at the hotel (which has large parking space) my wife and I proceeded by bus to the resort at Chikmagalur where we had a reservation. We returned to Belur on Monday by noon and took the car back to V2 Autocare on the Belur-Mudigere road. Praveen’s team there replaced the hoses and the connector, drained the coolant system and filled up with the new FASS recommended ParaFlu pre-mixed coolant. We were able to return to Mangaluru with no further trouble. Praveen at V2 Autocare was very professional and helpful.

Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 50,000 km completed!-hoseconnectorreplacemnt.jpg
Replacement part sent by FASS

Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 50,000 km completed!-hosereplacemnt1.jpg
Part number: 51789114; Country of origin; Turkey; Price: Rs. 2867 (inclusive of GST)

Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 50,000 km completed!-paraflucoolant1.jpg
FASS recommended pre-mixed coolant. Required 4 liters.

On the next day I had the car inspected again at my regular FNG in Mangaluru (WagenTunen), replaced the hose clip which was not tight enough and had the engine bay cleaned.

Other than this, the car has been running flawlessly. It has aged well. Interiors are looking clean and neat for a five-year-old car. No rattles. Smile still guaranteed, when pushed!

Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 50,000 km completed!-abarth_feb23m.jpg

Owning a Fiat Abarth Punto - A car with character. EDIT : 50,000 km completed!-withjetta1m.jpg
With stable mate. Incidentally, both pack 145 horses! The oil burner has one-and-half times the torque though.
cogWheel is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 18:23   #53
BHPian

Congrats on completing 5 years.
I had Abarth Urban Cross and drove it for 5 years. Thanks to the 2nd hand car of the week thread that mentioned Hexa. Upgraded to Hexa XTA last year and drove it 25k kms in 1 less than a year.

I handed over mine to a cousin with a 'first right to reject' clause whenever he decides to let go of it. Drove mine for about 45,000 kms in 5 years and except for the regular maintenance, spent 0 on it. Urban crosses are rare, and even rarer is the one with 1.4Tjet.

I got a chance to drive this last week and woah! I certainly miss it.
Abarth made me love the thrill of speed and quick highway runs.
Hexa xta made me enjoy sedate driving across the country.

Considering the new car prices now, having a performance hot hatch at that price we owned one now looks like a steal.
jagan88 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2023, 09:10   #54
KPR
BANNED

There are cars in 2023 calling themselves as turbo petrols. A decade back Fiat gave us this 4 cylinder in tjet. I feel that most Indian car buyers never had the flair in recognizing good cars. Instead the pur hase decision went with masses. I own a 90hp sports with same all black interiors. This car is still as good as new. Nothing to complain. That's Fiat engineering.
KPR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 20:11   #55

Using Punto diesel 90 from past 12 years. Whenever I see ABARTH I still regret why I didnt extended my budget and bought one.
Varun7774 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks