Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2019, 12:36   #16
BHPian

Re: The legend of Shani the Mini - My Mini Cooper S JCW

Finally we get to see your thread, and what a detailed one at that!! I can vouch for the exhausts sounding fabulous, have heard it at a few of the NCR meets and the sound combined with the braap at the up-shift is brilliant.

Really surprised about the brakes bit, both rotors and pads being eaten up at that rate is not going to be cheap, and being caught out on the highway with worn out pads, like what happened to you is quite unfortunate. I hope you manage to fix this aspect.

The car looks fabulous, and you clearly are taking very good care of her(wouldn't expect anything else from you). The size, ground clearance and reliability mean you can take her to the hills, something most cars offering this level of performance cannot do. Wishing you many more miles of fun-filled drives.

Last edited by bhuvan_prasad : 27th May 2019 at 12:37.
bhuvan_prasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 12:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

Lovely detailed review with good pictures quickdraw.

I thoroughly enjoyed the car's go-kart-like handling and the exhaust note when I drove the Cooper S a few years back. The JCW upgrade should have made this much more thrilling and entertaining to drive. This alone should keep you happy in spite of all the niggles and dislikes you have mentioned in the thread, including the audio system.

Hope Mini can solve the issue with your brakes quickly. Nice to read the Mini regularly organise meet-ups and track days. It adds to the overall ownership experience and makes it feels special.

Unique choice of colour as well. I usually see a lot of red / orange / green Coopers. Wishing you many more happy miles with your car.
ChiragM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 14:26   #18
BHPian

Thanks for the review! Would be interested in knowing your reasons for not going the pre-owned route this time around.

Surprising to hear that the TQ is not tuned well by BMW. Which gearbox does your car use, if not the ZF8? I saw that the options list had the Sports Automatic Transmission - did you tick that one or get it coded in?

Also, keeping all the ownership issues aside, how'd you compare your 328i or the Mini Cooper S on their respective best days? Do you miss the RWD or does the go-kart feel of the Mini more than make up for it?
d3mon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 00:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
One question though, does the electric blue shade on Shaani not pick up a lot of dust? I can see varying terrains in your pictures, but in none of them is the car dirty or dusty. Of course, it's possible that you've cleaned the car before every photo, but I doubt that's the case here.

You have a heart of steel for not renewing your warranty. Most German cars that I know of were pretty reliable in the first 2-3 years, and post that they throw tantrums. For these cars, even fixing minor issues sometimes cost six figures! Of course, I'm sure you must have taken a calculated decision.

Also dude, you drove 5000kms without a spare tire or a puncture repair kit?! I'm glad it turned out to be alright in the end, but I shudder thinking about what could've happened! I for one don't even leave the spare wheel behind even if I'm just on an airport run.

All said and done, thanks for the brilliant review. Like I said, lovely pictures, and I hope to see more of them. Wish you and Shaani a long and happy relationship!
The car has not been cleaned in any of the pictures, blue is fantastic that way. Coupled with OptiCoat Ceramic PPF that pushes away dust and dirt I'm a happy puppy. If you notice the black cladding at bottom you can see it dirty in many pictures. I love keeping my car clean but only do the interiors sometimes. Better let trained professionals handle the cleaning bit

Like I mentioned in the thread, the Mini is rough and tough and I have solid confidence on its reliability, I presumed the warranty cost for current year and kept that aside for anything to fail, so far no issues plus not much there to fall apart. It's a simple machine in many ways. The 5000 was a breeze, I'm sold on Pilot Sport for life now. The real test was 1100km in a day sans issues. Thank you so much for your kudos, makes it worthwhile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by $tar_boy View Post
Awesome write-up and photography. I liked your bimmer thread too and I am sure you are having Mega fun with your Mini. Can you post an audio clip of the exhaust note post the JCW tune ?. Rated Five stars .
Thank you, this is all I could find right now. Will try and record something with a proper mic and share, the real life sound is much more bassier with boom. Phone mic's are not able to pick up that detail for some reason. Also, I look really stupid with my mouth open, please ignore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Thank you for the detailed review. Mini is a brand which is always close to my heart, and one I wish I could own sometime down the lane.

I am pushing one of my friends to go for the Mini instead of BMW\MB and this thread will help immensely to portray what can he expect from a Mini.
I never thought that I would either, but it happened. Mini is growing in India and has fantastic leadership who get their target audience very well. Even with the pricing I've heard they end up losing a few k euro per car right now (thanks to our amazing tax structure). More and more Mini showrooms are opening up and I'm hoping that will open up avenues for more people to own one. Also, you're a good friend. I've personally managed to get 2 of my friends to buy Minis and they are damn happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Thanks for the review! Would be interested in knowing your reasons for not going the pre-owned route this time around.

Surprising to hear that the TQ is not tuned well by BMW. Which gearbox does your car use, if not the ZF8? I saw that the options list had the Sports Automatic Transmission - did you tick that one or get it coded in?

Also, keeping all the ownership issues aside, how'd you compare your 328i or the Mini Cooper S on their respective best days? Do you miss the RWD or does the go-kart feel of the Mini more than make up for it?
Oh this car was technically pre-owned, it had 60km on the ODO and I ended up taking a 130km 'test drive' when I first saw it. The pricing was absolutely delicious for a brand new car which was 1 year old at the time of purchase. I booked it on the spot.

The TQ in D mode is stupid at times and shifts up when it shouldn't, other than that its fine. It's way more fun to drive it in manual and you get used to it. The only problem is that it isn't as slick as the ZF or DCT. But it makes the car sound so much better. Worthy tradeoff in my book. For the F56 the sports gearbox can only be coded at the factory.

The 328i on it's best day was surprisingly a calm and comfortable highway cruiser with my wife, brother and his wife asleep in the car and I was driving back on a wintery night from a Murthal Paratha run. The ability to chew up miles and seat 4 people in comfort was sublime.

I don't miss the RWD because the F30 was way too bouncy at the rear, and to make it drift you needed to be going way too fast, it didn't lose traction at low speeds like a 911 or AMG GTR. I think to really have fun in a RWD car you gotta be packing at-least 400horses (2 litre engines making 300+ don't have the same effect). The 328 was quick but the Mini is way more fun on day to day, predictable understeer is way more fun than oversteer for our conditions. I've drifted and slid this thing way more than I ever could in the F30.

Brakes Issue

For the brake issue I think there is something wrong with my Calliper or one of the lines, BMW will support even out of warranty since this issue exists before it lapsed so I'm not too worried about it. There are a few conclusions I've arrived upon after lots of trial and error though.
  • Rear Discs are Solid
  • They don't have any vent ducts like front
  • Rears are used even when I'm not braking by the stability system
  • Rear overheats very easily because of small disc which is not vented

I have a few things in mind which I want to try out and am confident that this issue can be resolved.

Last edited by quickdraw : 28th May 2019 at 01:00.
quickdraw is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 07:48   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Coupled with OptiCoat Ceramic PPF that pushes away dust and dirt I'm a happy puppy.
Congratulations. A very descriptive and informative thread

Please tell more about this PPF, from where did you got this done and how is this different from say 3M PPF? Will this work on the mat paints as well?
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 15:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car, no matter how belated. I loved going through your experiences with it, and the pictorial walk down memory lane was perfect. The photos make for a very compelling tale, and feeds into that part of every petrolhead that wants to bring a Mini home (yours truly included).

I enjoyed your 328 thread greatly, and look forward to this one developing over time too. Have fun, and keep driving the wheels off that pocket rocket!
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 19:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Congratulations. A very descriptive and informative thread

Please tell more about this PPF, from where did you got this done and how is this different from say 3M PPF? Will this work on the mat paints as well?
Yes, they have a matte version as-well. I've seen it in the flesh and it looks like there is no PPF on the car. I've shared contact details with you. I got it done at The Detailing Mafia in Malvya Nagar, Delhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Congrats on the car, no matter how belated. I loved going through your experiences with it, and the pictorial walk down memory lane was perfect. The photos make for a very compelling tale, and feeds into that part of every petrolhead that wants to bring a Mini home (yours truly included).

I enjoyed your 328 thread greatly, and look forward to this one developing over time too. Have fun, and keep driving the wheels off that pocket rocket!
Thank you for your kind words, it makes all the effort I've put in worth it. Will keep updating the thread as and when there are things to add.
quickdraw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 22:57   #23
BHPian

Belated congrats on the car! It is absolutely bonkers! Had seen the update in your 3 series thread so was eagerly waiting

Have a question for you, will you suggest this over the 1-series (120d)? Am in Germany and soon will have to decide Mini or The one series. Thanks in advance!
Old 24th August 2019, 11:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

2 Year Update

The legend of Shani the Mini - My Mini Cooper S JCW-mvimg_20190503_174446.jpg
Shani Enjoying some greenery

Shani recently completed 2 years with us. It's been a beautiful journey with some up-s and downs but I'm very happy with the Mini and don't feel any reason to change it, or see anything else taking it's place. I did toy with an idea of getting a S60 Polestar (was available for Rs 25 lakhs) or maybe an XC40 (There is a Volvo showroom in my building, and I'm dying to own one). But i think I will have plenty of time to own a XC or a V90 in the future.

The legend of Shani the Mini - My Mini Cooper S JCW-img_20190606_215150.jpg
The HUD (seen on top) is a must have option for the MINI

The car was sent to the dealership to sort of the brake issues for the N'th time. So far I'm at wit's end and have tried a wide variety of pads and all to see if they are the problem. I have the following thoughts on the subject. The dealership claims to have bled the entire system using the computer and used BMW diagnostic equipment on the entire brake system and saying its behaving normally. I've driven other Minis with stock brake systems and I disagree.

The legend of Shani the Mini - My Mini Cooper S JCW-img_20190330_112133.jpg
Hot hatches taking over BIC
  • OEM Rear Brakes not at all suited for track use, fronts are fine.
  • The rear brake pads literally shatter under heavy loads
  • The rear brake system has no ventilation leading to rear brakes overheating a lot
  • Even though I consciously don't use the brakes a lot I'm still noticing heavy wear on the brakes because of the stability control.
  • I've been advised to drive on DCT mode more which should reduce the stress on the rear brakes
  • There is immense fade during spirited usage
  • The big brake kit will not help with rear brake issues since rear callipers remain unchanged
  • Brake pedal feel is not at all upto the mark, the behaviour is still strange its spongy most of the time and snaps sometimes at 60kph while cruising.

Video of Pads condition after the trackday above, these are the only pads that didn't shatter but had uneven wear and tear. The shiny silver stuff is the rotor had kind of melted and come onto the pads.

The legend of Shani the Mini - My Mini Cooper S JCW-img_20190503_181408.jpg
Shani visiting Unchagaon

Other than this the only other problem I've had is with the Rally lights vibrating and going up and down in some circumstances. It's been a hassle since the start and now wondering if I should have gone aftermarket instead of paying so much moolah to Mini. The lights themselves are great, I think its the competence of dealers service department thats the issue in my case.

Some other points to note
  • The rear parking sensors are crap and useless, they go red only after I've hit an obstacle and it's now happened to me twice that I've reversed into potted plant and a parked car
  • There is noticeable power drop on using lower octane fuel but no bad knocking or issues
  • The Pilot Sport 4 tires are holding up very well and not showing much wear. Very happy with them.
  • BMW Service quality leaves a lot to be desired, they do not treat your baby the way you want it to be treated. Especially considering the interiors and exteriors. My car always comes back in worse condition than it went.
  • The car is solid and there are no squeaks or rattles from any of the trim pieces inside.
  • The normal service intervals of 10,000km do not apply. I have been servicing it at 5-6000km intervals at average cost of Rs 20-30k per service.

The legend of Shani the Mini - My Mini Cooper S JCW-img_20190324_012413.jpg
Inviting

Signing off the thread just before I'm going to leave for a little Jaipur driving trip soon. Happy that I've got the Mini. It's not exactly the best highway cruiser (wheelbase makes it hoppy and tramline) but I would rather not be in anything else, because I know for sure I'd just be watching out for potholes and my rims rather then driving. Planning to maybe replace the paddles next, more soon.
quickdraw is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 18:07   #25
BHPian

Superb thread. The travel pictures and the way you have used the car to do these cross country runs is indeed inspiring. Had been glued to your Modneo thread earlier and am planning on doing the same with this one.

Quite surprinsing to read about the premature brake wear. Did anyone observe you dirve and had anything to say about it? Maybe one fails to notice it but another pair of eyes may observe something that you are missing. This is definitely not to say you are doing something wrong.
Old 9th December 2019, 12:37   #26
BHPian

Super review! I have been looking around for India specific ownership reviews on the F56 and there are so few of them. It's great to know an owner's perspective on how the mini is to live with on a day by day basis.

This is one of my favorite cars and unless some other game-changer comes to the market in the next year or two I will definitely be pulling the trigger on the mini cooper s. Now that I know it's a reliable little car based on your review the decision is so much easier to make.

Thanks.
motorotor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 11:21   #27
BHPian

When I first read the title, I thought the name was pronounced "Shaani", as in "Dedh-shaani" That nickname would suit a Mini too.
Old 20th August 2020, 16:31   #28
OmV
BHPian

Came across an article about a very unique Mini:

https://www.motor1.com/news/439935/m...-ninja-engine/

Sorry to encroach on space Shani!
OmV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 22:07   #29
BHPian

What a lovely ownership review ! It is indeed a stand out car from the crowd. The pictures are lovely too ! However, there are no photographs of the boot space?
Old 19th January 2021, 22:36   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorotor View Post
Super review! I have been looking around for India specific ownership reviews on the F56 and there are so few of them. It's great to know an owner's perspective on how the mini is to live with on a day by day basis.

This is one of my favorite cars and unless some other game-changer comes to the market in the next year or two I will definitely be pulling the trigger on the mini cooper s. Now that I know it's a reliable little car based on your review the decision is so much easier to make.

Thanks.
I made the above comment on your review about a year ago and I finally pulled the trigger on a 2020' Mini Cooper JCW last month. I would like to thank you for your review @quickdraw, since it really was (and still is) the only real-world review of the JCW hatch in India! All the other so-called reviews are of driving the car on a track. After driving my car for the last couple of months I can definitely say that the JCW is a true everyday sports car that puts a grin on my face every time I spot a corner!
Attached Thumbnails
The legend of Shani the Mini - My Mini Cooper S JCW-whatsapp-image-20210108-5.46.23-pm.jpeg  

The legend of Shani the Mini - My Mini Cooper S JCW-whatsapp-image-20210112-9.46.52-pm-2.jpeg  

Last edited by motorotor : 19th January 2021 at 22:40.
motorotor is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks