Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2019, 23:55   #1
BHPian

From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed

Status as on 12.09.2019.

No. of Days of ownership: 35
KMs done: 2052
Issues & Niggles: None
1st service at: 5000 kms.

Well I would first like to introduce my Thar 700 to the world before I take you through the journey of how I chose to follow my heart over mind.

From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-cover-photo.jpg

This is my first ownership review on T-BHP hence please bear with the mistakes if any. I will try to be elaborative and provide as much details as possible. The views and opinions mentioned here are my own and are not meant to disrespect or hurt anyone’s opinion/sentiments towards a product.

So it all started way back in 2013 when I bought my first car i.e. Maruti Swift VXI. It stayed with me for a long time and had been a trustworthy companion all through its tenure.I had taken it to almost all the places while travelling in different parts of the country along-with regular city and highway usage. 6 years passed and as we entered in 2019, my Swift achieved the milestone of 1 Lakh kms. It was good to go for another few years but than I had a brief thought to whether to use it for another 2-3 years and then sell it off or rather buy a new one this year and pay off the EMIs in next 3-4 years time so as to have some financial stability after 5 years. The Swift had never disappointed or left me stranded anywhere during the entire ownership but then there were many limitations of a 2WD Hatchback when you are on a cross country drive. With my increasing urge of going on frequent road trips, I thought getting an upgrade would be a suitable decision. So, I listed the car on OLX and got a good deal in few days, though few people were irritative with their irrelevant demand and offers. Got the paper work completed and handed over the keys of my Swift on 10th April, 2019.My trusted companion was with a new owner now.

We are a family of 5 (Parents, Myself, Wife & Younger brother) staying together. My parents own a BRV and a Kwid hence, using any of them for few months for my daily usage was not a problem. I decided to take my own time and not rush into buying a new car. Throughout my childhood I had a liking towards SUVs hence, sedans and beefy hatchbacks were out of picture. Somehow I felt SUVs looked more appealing than any other car segment. Moreover I needed a car which won’t be an hindrance for my road trips as we travel to mountains and all other terrains. A little reliable, rugged and comfortable car was all I needed which will fulfill my daily chores as well as I can spend 15-20 even more number of days travelling in it.

Little working on the financial part and I decided to get a car in Rs. 12 Lakhs + 1 Lakh stretched budget. Even with the stretched budget any of the full grown SUVs were out of my reach though I loved the XUV500, Harrier and Scorpio but piling up on the EMI didn’t seem to be a good decision as we are expecting parents at the moment. Hence, I decided to focus on the compact SUVs that were available in the market.

Our search started and we went out visiting showrooms every weekend. Below are the listed cars that we considered and checked out:

1) MS Vitara Brezza:

Good Points:
- Good Value for money car at 10L.
- Outer looks and driving position do qualify it for a mini SUV.
- Good rear legroom. Comfortable seats.
- FE of 24+ Kmpl.
- Good experience with Maruti’s after sales and service.

Bad Points:
- Smaller boot space.
- Power sluggish at low revs.
- Few things look similar to that of Swift.

2) Ford Ecosport:

It had all the above positives of the Brezza. I will list down the additional points:

Good Points:
- Good boot space.
- Spare wheel mounted on the door gives it a SUV look.
- Interiors have looks to die for.
- Powered better than Brezza with the Diesel engine.
- Top end was available in 12 lakh which was well within my budget.

Bad Points:
- Space felt cramped for my height. (6’1”).
- Felt little claustrophobic in the cabin.
- Drives more like car and less SUVish.
- Tall seating position missing

4) Tata Nexon: I didn’t spend much time in the showroom when we went to check the Nexon. It indeed is a good product but didn’t give the feel of a SUV on the very first look and hence, I moved out immediately.

5) Renault Duster:

Good Points:
- Two engine options available with 85bhp and 110bhp power.
-Ruggedly built. Can take abuse.
-4WD with ESP available in top end trim.
-Excellent boot space.
-Has the presence and feel of a SUV.

Bad Points:
-Getting in and out of the rear seat is problematic for tall passengers.
-Spares are not available anywhere apart from the Dealers and that too little costly than other manufacturers.
-On account of breakdown at a remote place hardly any mechanic would put his hand into it.
-Tall sitting position missing.

After having checked the above cars twice or thrice, none of them clicked, it was time to check the Mahindra stable. I would never mind owning a Mahindra product as we have had owned a Xylo for a brief time. It was trust worthy product, we had taken it for road trips many times even completed the Spiti valley circuit when it was 2.5 Lakh kms old. Hence, we had high regards for Mahindra as a brand and also being origins of SUV manufacturing in the country, I knew something would definitely strike.

Within my budget, I could get two Mahindras i.e. TUV300 and XUV300. Needless to say both of the cars are different breeds and meant for different purposes but then I thought there isn't any issue in checking both of them. So the coming weekend we went to Mahindra showroom to check and take a TD of both the vehicles.

6) XUV300:

Good Points:
- Best in class power and torque of 120 bhp and 300 NM respectively.
- Good Legroom inside cabin.
- Cabin feels very roomy and airy.
- Premium interiors.
- Best in class features.

Bad Points:
- Smaller boot space.
- Driving is less SUVish and more car like.
- Under thigh support poor at rear seats.
- Looks like a beefy hatchback and lacks the shear road presence of a SUV.

7) TUV300:

Good Points:
- A tall and broad SUV.
- Low end torque is superb. No turbo lag.
- Tough and heavy build quality.
- Enough space for 5 tall occupants.
- Rear wheel drive which is always helpful in difficult terrain conditions.
- Looks good and has the road presence of a SUV.

Bad Points:
- Ride quality is bouncy and not as plush as other compact SUVs.
- Power felt sluggish at high speeds. Needs proper planning for overtaking on highways.
- Quick maneuvering on highway would be a distant dream.
- 3 pot engine was a little downer.

During my visit to the showroom a Thar was placed on display at the entrance. It caught my eye and I did spend some time exploring it, it was the same feeling you get when you get to see something that has fascinated you since childhood. Hence, I also took TD of the Thar that day after completing the TD of the UV300 brothers. While I enjoyed the TD thoroughly but then on the back of my mind I felt maybe opting something more practical would be a sensible choice at that moment. Maybe I can buy a pre-owned Thar sometime later which can share the garage with the prospective car I was looking for.

All of the above events took place over the course of 3 months time and we entered into the month of July-2019. After a brief thought, discussion with family members I decided to drop the idea of buying Thar at this time. But then it boiled down to the question, which car to finalize? I was in the market looking for a SUV with Rs. 12 Lakhs budget and none of the full grown SUVs was in my reach. I went through catalogs of all the compact SUVs that we had checked and decided to have a TD again and then finalize. We decided that whichever would feel close to a SUV would be finalized. After the second round of TD, The TUV300 felt the closest contender to the SUV like feel or I would rather say it had all the qualities of a SUV apart from the engine's performance at high speeds & length of the car. Took some days to go through ownership/official review of TUV and I felt maybe I can forgo its slow performance at high speed and adjust with the imperfections. After checking the brochure and features list we decided to book the TUV T10 variant. Next day called up Mahindra executive and informed about my decision to which he gladly replied that the waiting period for the car is 15-20 days. Discussed with wife who said if that is the case then book the car in such a way that we get the delivery on our wedding anniversary i.e. 7th August.

I was totally geared up to book the TUV but while discussing on the color of the car my wife insisted on seeing the short listed colors physically once before booking. We had short listed silver-black dual tone or the complete black shade as they looked more appealing. Accordingly, called up the SE who confirmed they have both shades in stockyard and we can check them whenever it is convenient for us.

Accordingly, the next day we went to the showroom to finalize the color. After much deliberation we finalized the Silver black dual tone shade and informed the SE on this and confirmed we will handover the token for booking in couple of days. I was finally at peace that I have finally selected my next car and it seemed the sensible decision at that moment, an appealing SUV and within my budget of Rs. 12 Lakhs.

The Thar Story

Then came the twist in the story and my peace of mind was short-lived, while entering the showroom I had noticed a brand new Thar signature edition model in Aqua marine colour kept on display. While leaving the showroom, my wife asked to click a photo of hers with the Thar. Till that point she never said about her fascination with Jeeps. After clicking her photo I was drawn towards the Thar, checked it in detail was awe struck by looking at it. After having discarded the Thar from the list for my next car I found myself again in the delima. I had always dreamt of owning a Jeep(Mahindra made) since my childhood days and this felt like the chance to fulfill it. I again went back to the SE (who was little surprised) to enquire about the Thar 700 and asked him to share the brochure and price list.

My mind was torn between picking up Thar or TUV and all throughout the journey from showroom to home I kept on wondering what to do. After reaching home I called the SE that I will take couple of more days to decide and accordingly give the token for booking whichever car I select.

Why and How I ended up buying Thar:

The next two days were restless as I was caught between following my mind or heart. The heart said to fulfill my childhood dream and the mind was caught with the thought of choosing something more practical. Discussed with family again who were ready to support whole heartedly for both the alternatives. In the meantime went through almost all the ownership reviews of Thar by fellow bhpians for some motivation. I made Few PMs to bhpians carrot eater, sjcherian and blackpearl who have been owning Thar for a brief time and their immediate reply cleared a lot of air and served the needed motivation to move ahead with the decision.

On the second day after retiring home from office, I was browsing YouTube and came across a promotional video of Thar 700. The video proudly said the below wordings:
"Thank you relentless adventurer, donor of goosebumps, patron saint of restless souls"
"The mighty Thar in its present Avtar is all set to storm into sunset"
"This is your last chance to own a piece of history".

Saw the above video numerous times that night. The brochure also specified “You know it you always wanted a Thar”. All of these felt like they are speaking up and asking me to follow my dream. Hence by morning I decided no matter what my next car is going to be Thar 700.

I was well aware that unlike other cars Thar scores least in terms of practicality and comfort but then I am not a feature or comfort crazy person, I can adapt to any vehicle no matter how crude it be. Another thing that worked in the favor of Thar is my craziness towards doing road trips. Many a times during a road trip I would have to face deadblock due to the limitations of a 2WD vehicle but having a 4X4 would mean that I can travel to places like never before. Thought on all the aspects and ultimately I felt that I can live with the imperfections of the Thar and enjoy my journey with it.

1) The butch look and tall stance.
2) Head turner on the road.
3) Tall and comfortable driving position.
4) Engine performance.
5) Comfortable to drive. 4WD facility is a boon for roadtrippers.
6) Steering position is good.
7) Go anywhere capability.
8) I haven’t taken it to the hills but my instincts say it is not going to disappoint.
9) Big bottle holders and space to keep essentials.
10) Good all round visibility.
11) Dashboard fit and finish is good.
12) Quality of plastics used is also good.
13) Sturdy and heavy metal body.

Scope for improvement/Dislikes:

1) Quality of Inside door handles, sunvisors, lock is pathetic.
2) The glovebox doesn’t close easily and even after closing it somehow it keeps on fluttering a lot while driving.
3) Doors opening and closing are very stiff and takes a bit of effort to close.
4) IRVM continuously vibrates when in motion.
5) Rattling and Squeaking noises keep on coming.
6) Airbags not available.
7) Adjustable steering wheel not available.
8) Good Lumbar support and height adjustment on the front seats would have been a better addition.
9) No indication for Auto hubs engagement/disengagement. Have to be attentive to hear the cranking noise while hubs disengage.
10) The side glasses are extremely reflective.
11) Difficult to trace the fan speed at night.
12) Absence of AC setting with inside air suction system.
13) Interior gets very dusty in regular use.

The Booking Experience :

I booked my car with Punjab Automobiles in Ahmedabad. The entire staff was very polite and helpful whenever we visited the showroom. We have been there at least 10-15 times in those 3 months of car searching, every time we were greeted with a smile and their cooperation is beyond appreciation. Had a discussion with the SE that I will take up insurance on my own and asked the dealer to give the final quote without Insurance. I made the booking on 7th July with a token of Rs. 10,000. SE told me that the car will arrive in 25-30 days which was very well in our schedule date of delivery i.e. 7th August (Wedding anniversary). Didn’t had to bother much for documentation part as all of these were taken care very well by the dealership team. Once the loan was approved I made the balance down payment amount and we were all set.

Happy to have taken the last chance to own this beauty.
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-9f4b431c056645afb57a25d50def04a8.jpeg

The Delivery experience :

One fine afternoon on 17th July I got a call from SE, the conversation took place as below:

SE: Sir, your car has arrived and is getting unloaded at our stockyard.
Me: Oh, but it is only 10 days since I made the booking. You had earlier said 25 days.
SE: Yes sir. But we received booking for 6 Thars in those 2 days. Since it was complete truckload the delivery was made faster.
Me: Ohk, when can I visit your stockyard to see the car.
SE: After 2 days.
Me: Please ensure I don't end up with a 3-4 months old manufactured car which would have been lying at Factory.
SE: Absolutely not sir. The manufacturing month is June-2019.
Me: If that is the case then I am Ok with it.

All this time I was wondering how am I going to wait for another 20 days for the delivery. I thought of preponing the delivery but since I had committed to my wife for taking delivery on our anniversary date, I decided to bear the painful period. I visited the stockyard after couple of days and saw my Thar standing proudly amongst its sibling. I spend around 1 hour time their just gazing and watching the Thar.

After it arrived in Stockyard.
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-11ca43430fe044848aa967a3abfc63b3.jpeg

Eventually ended up visiting the stockyard thrice in those 20 days time and checking the photos that I clicked at the stockyard almost everyday. Little motivation and humor by our Tbhp GJ brothers on whatsapp group helped a lot.

Any how time passed and finally the D-Day arrived and we were all geared up to take the delivery. We gave a timing of 4pm to the SE who ensured everything was ready when we arrived. They had arranged for a little anniversary cake cutting and again the gesture of dealership team won our hearts. All the documents were handed over, demonstration of the car was given with nitty gritty of everything. Did the customary Pooja and proudly cranked the engine for the first time.

All decked up for the delivery.
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-ec20d6f4bd2e4f8f98d544219366e1eb.jpeg

Parents doing the customary Pooja.
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-e5c2f27bd86d4fb28ec611bd14adb007.jpeg

On the D-Day accepting the keys of the Thar.
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-71bd0596f4c74731afc84afaa502823c.jpeg

Cost and other details:

1) On road price: Rs. 11.5 Lakhs.
2) Loan details: Through Bhagyodaya Cooperative bank @8.75 % ROI.
3) Insurance: Through New India. NCB of my Swift's insurance transferred on this policy.
4) Accessories: Insect mesh on front grill (Price: Rs. 2500). Installed through dealer.
5) Discount: Rs. 4500 corporate discount.
6) Warranty: 1 Year
7) No. of free services: 4 services at every 5000 kms till completion of 1st year.

Modification planned:

1) A touchscreen infotainment system.
2) Central locking and power windows.
3) A semi hardtop or a FRP hardtop. Maybe not sure.
4) Addition of removal type seat at the rear to convert the side facing seats into a bed when required.

Vehicle details:

-Variant: Thar Crde 700 Signature edition 4X4
-Color: Aqua Marine
-Engine Displacement, Power & Torque: 2498cc 105 hp @ 3800 rpm with 247 Nm of Torque @ 1.8-2 K rpm
-Transmission : 5 Speed Manual with BORGWARNER (Manual Shift) with Low Reduction Gear
-Suspension: Independent Front Suspension with Torsion Bar and Stablizer Bar, Rear Semi Elliptical Leaf Spring
-Ground Clearance=200 mm, Approach Angle = 44°,Departure Angle =27°
-Wheels: P 235/70 R16 Alloy wheels with Bridgestone dueler Tubeless Tyres
-Brakes: Front 226 mm Disk & Rear 282 mm Drum
-Overall Length: 3920 mm
-Overall Width: 1726 mm
-Wheelbase: 2430 mm
-Overall Height: 1930 mm
-Safety & related features:
1) ABS.
2) Seat belt reminder.
3) Digital Engine Immobilizer
4) Mechanical Locking Rear Differential.

New Features offered over the existing model:

1) ABS.
2) Alloys on all 5 wheels.
3) Leather seat upholstery.
4) Decals on bonnet and side.
5) Better cushioned seats.
Fuel efficiency: 13-14 kmpl.
Fuel tank capacity: 60 liters.

Driving & Ownership Experience:

Exterior:

Good Points:

1) Mean and butch look ready to take on challenges.
2) Old age design but looks fresh.
3) Looks huge but length and width is smaller than Compact SUVs and Premium hatchbacks.
4) Waterproof Canopy provided as a standard fitment. No leakages observed till now.
5) Heavy sheet metal used for the body.

Bad Points:

1) Lots of water spillage on the mirrors and body when driving in rain.
2) Fuel lid is to be opened manually with Key.
3) Doors make a lot of noise while opening and closing.
4) No provision for wiring of additional lights. Have to drill a hole on the body to reach the dashboard.
5) GI nut-bolts provided for spare wheel which gets rusted.(Planned to replace with SS bolts).

The Aqua marine color had been introduced specifically for the Signature edition.As of now the paint quality looks good and finishing work with Decals have been done neatly by M&M. On the side just next to the Thar Crde badge, a signature edition badge is provided which bears the logo of Thar 700 and is signed by Mr. Anand Mahinra (Chairman- M&M).

As far as lighting is concerned, it gets two big sized Lumax Halogen lights and turn indicators on the front and rear as well as the wheel arches on the front. The throw of the light hasn't been a problem till now on the highways as well as in the city.

Front shot and where the Thar loves to be admist nature.
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-front-shot.jpg

The Signature edition badge along-with the Thar Crde logo.
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-e43521df78fb491483ad3bab0b6b99ab.jpeg

Side view.
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-efbbdd3305624d48b39d3805d01da864.jpeg

Rear View.
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-7fbeb7a86b254eca8bd6a44831c1e745.jpeg

Thar 700 comes with 5 spoke silver alloys with Bridgestone Dueller H/T tyres as a standard which looks similar to those offered on the Scorpio earlier.

From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-5f32668fb1d34eb2a9b30d5b7959c474.jpeg

Interior:

Good Points:

1) Quality of plastics used in the dashboard is satisfactory.
2) Leather seats with good underthigh support.
3) 2 Big sized bottle holders.
4) Love the Thar embossed logo at the center.
5) Smartly finished Silver accents provided at many places.
6) Good legroom for front passengers.
7) Door trims offered with Armrest.

Bad Points:

1) Glove box doesn't close easily. Keeps on fluttering while driving.
2) Knobs not provided for internal adjustment of ORVM.
3) Thick B pillar obstructs the side view.
4) No bottle holders or place to keep anything on the door.
5) Inside door handles and locks are of poor quality.
6) Rear bench seats not advisable for long journeys.
7) Fronts seats lack lumbar support.

Complete view of the dashboard:
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-dashboard.jpg

Door Trims are plain and simple. They do not get any provision for bottle holders or speakers. Rotating lever is provided for manual adjustment of windows:
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-door.jpg

- Driving position & ergonomics: The driving position is quite tall and comfortable. Unlike normal cars one needs to climb into the Thar for getting in. Once seated on the driving seat the bonnet is completely visible which helps in maneuvering in tight spaces. I am 6'1" tall with fairly built body but still my hands and legs don't rub anywhere while driving. Finding the right driving position was not an issue but as the Thar doesn’t get seat adjustment short height drivers may find little issue with the driving position as the bonnet and dashboard will obstruct the visibility.

But it is not necessary that everyone would find the driving position and ergonomics of the Thar satisfactory. It is a big compromise on all the worldly pleasures that you get in a regular car. The absence of dead pedal feels little problematic at times. There is no other way to rest your left feet apart from putting it below the clutch or keep it folded which may not be comfortable with everyone. The B pillar is thick and while seated it becomes an obstruction as you cannot view any coming vehicle from the side. Keeping stuff at the back seats and taking them out takes some efforts as it is not convenient to move your hands back while seating on the front seats. Ultimately for bigger stuff one needs to open the rear door and unzip the canopy.(Daily struggle for me).

Upright seating position but provides adequate front leg room. Observe the obstructing B pillar:
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-front-leg-room.jpg

- Seating arrangement & Quality of Seats: Thar comes with 2+4 seating option. 2 single seats at the front and 2 side facing seats at the rear. Unlike the regular Thar I found the quality of seats in signature edition better.The seats come with leather seat cover with Thar logo embossed on it.

Independent Front Seats
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-front-seats.jpg

Side facing seats at the rear for 4 passengers
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-rear-seats.jpg

Thar embossed leather seat cover.
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-8e8f44e43b8b4ddba39d14937d2a69fa.jpeg

Overall the front seats are quite comfortable with adequate under thigh support for tall people but they lack in lumbar support which could have been taken care off. Rear seats are good for only 2 people as adding 2 more will not be comfortable but this is only limited to shorter runs. Its better to use the rear seats for storing your luggage. On a longer if there are more than 2 people travelling its better to use the Thar for 2 people +Luggage and the other passengers can drive in another car.The fronts seats can be reclined but the lack of height adjusting feature makes life difficult. Even manually adjustable seats could have done the job.

-Controls & MID: Controls are very basic in the Thar but located in normal reach. The following controls are present in the dashboard:

1) AC on/off switch,
2) Fan speed adjustment,
3) Heater and windshield demister switch,
4) Thermostat knob for adjusting the AC cooling effect.
5) Windows and locks are traditional manual old school types.
6) 12V power socket
7) Headlight height adjuster.

3 Pod Instrument Cluster:
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-instrument-cluster.jpg

AC, Heater & windshield demiter controls:
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-ac-controls.jpg

12V Illuminated Power Socket:
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-12v-socket-.jpg

4WD indication when engaged in 4H:
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-4h.jpg

4L indication:
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-4l.jpg

The instrument cluster remains unchanged from the regular Thar. It gets 3 pod instrument cluster with silver border lining on the round dials. The Thar gets digital MID which gets white backlight with black fonts. The MID shows total KMs driven and 2 Trip meter. Once you engage 4WD a green indication light comes up below the fuel indicator. However, after disengaging 4WD one needs to reverse for 1 meter to disengage the auto locking hubs which can be confirmed by a cranking sound when reversed.

However, the Thar lacks a couple of things in this section, to start with average FE is not displayed in the MID.Further, there are no indications to know whether the hubs are engaged or disengaged. Many a times it happens due to high ambient noise you may not be able to hear the cranking noise and for next few minutes the mind keeps running with doubts. Thar's AC functions on cooling the ambient air and then discharging same inside cabin, unlike other cars it doesn't get the option of switching between having ambient air or inside cabin air at suction. Lot of dust gets accumulated inside the cabin due to continuous suction of ambient air.

- Visibility & Size of mirrors:

View from the driving seat
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-view.jpeg

All round visibility from the driving seat is very good as covered in detail earlier in the report and also with thin A pillar you get a bird's eye view around the vehicle. The transparent portion on side and rear of the canopy is very wide, it helps in getting a moderate view. When driving in the rains the rear & side part of the canopy gets dirty and blocks the vision. Same is the case with ORVM. The car spills too much water on the ORVM, driving side windows and rear portion of the canopy while driving in rains which becomes a hindrance.

Visibility:

Front: Good.
Side: Average. Poor diagonally.
Rear: Moderate in normal time. Poor during monsoon.

ORVM Mirrors look similar to the ones on the Bolero and are broad and tall enough.The tall rectangular design covers the horizontal as well as vertical view making it easy to have a view of anything from rear. However, they have to be adjusted manually, even a knob is also not provided to adjust internally. So at times need to bother the Co-driver to adjust the left side mirror and slide down the driving side window to adjust.

ORVM From the Bolero:
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-orvm.jpg

IRVM is very basic but the rear view is very well covered hence visibility is not a problem. It is mounted on the metal body above windscreen with a pair of screws as seen in the photo below. It keeps on vibrating at medium to high speeds which is little irritating & also they don’t come with manual or auto dimming function.

IRVM and its rear visibility:
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-irvm.jpg

- Air conditioner cooling & effectiveness: The AC is standard and cools the cabin quite well. Throw is made through 4 vents of round shape. (2 in the center and 2 on the sides). The range of the throw of vents is good as I have had rear passengers for couple of time but none of them complained on the cooling and effectiveness. (Ahmedabad remains hot throughout the year and very much humid in monsoon).

The fan speed is adjustable with 4 range of speeds and the blow from the individual vents can also be adjusted by rotating the outer ring of the vents. You can adjust the level of cooling based on your requirement by adjusting the round knob beside defogger switch. Overall fit and finish of the vents and AC controls are very good.

Unlike other cars the AC doesn’t get the option of whether to extract ambient air or to circulate the inside air. Due to Soft top canopy, switching off the car in traffic signals makes it very uncomfortable during afternoon. The AC performance is not balanced as at times it feels too powerful for the front passengers while the rear passengers complain on lack of cooling. While driving with 1 or 2 passengers I keep the fan speed at 1 and with more passengers at the rear have to keep it at 2.

- Interior storage & practicality:

Thar gets the below the storage spaces:

1) Two 1L bottle holders located between the front seats,
2) A small storage place between handbrake and gear lever for keeping mobile & wallet exactly next to the 12V power socket.
3) Two cup/small bottle holders which are located next to the 4WD lever.
4) 2 lockable glove box, one in dashboard and other one beneath the co-driver seat.

Bottle holder located between the front seats:
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-bottle-holder.jpg

Storage space for keeping mobile,wallets and other belongings:
Click image for larger version

Name:	12V socket .JPG
Views:	1188
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	1912080

Lockable glove box in dashboard
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-glove-box-main.jpg

The lockable glove box in the dashboard is of standard size but is not illuminated, one needs to push the glove box hard to close it. Metal Glove box is provided below co-driver seat which is lockable and houses the lifting jack with accessories.

Practicality:

Good Points:

1) Places to keep essentials like bottles,wallets, toll tickets etc.
2) Mobile can be placed in the storage place next to 12V socket while charging.
3) Storage pockets in front seatback.
4) Good space for driver and co-driver.

Bad Points:

1) Security is a big concern as anybody can enter by unzipping the canopy.
2) Glovebox not big to house a laptop.
3) Cup holders beneath the dashboard is located at an awkward postion.
4) With rear passengers seated no place to keep luggage neither there is any scope to install roof carrier without any modifications.

- Engine performance,driveability & handling :

The Thar is powered by a 2.5 Litre 4 Cylinder Crde engine which produces 105 Bhp of power at 3800 RPM and about 247 Nm of Torque at 1800-2000 RPM. The turbo kicks in early at about 1400-1500 RPM. It's a pleasure to drive the engine in the cities and on the Highways as there is Zero Turbo lag. The flow of Torque is superb and the Thar moves effortlessly being it with low speed pickup or a quick high speed manuvoure. This engine is a tried and tested product by M&M as it has already powered the older gen Scorpio for many years before the Scorpio shifted to Mhawk engine. The power to weight and torque to weight ratios are 64.07 Bhp/Ton and 147.90 Nm/Ton respectively.

The 2.5 Litre Crde motor.
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-26298b1d7dbe4f9391c0ff879d456a07.jpeg

The noise of the engine is not audible that much inside the cabin and there are hardly any hiccups that the engine faces apart from initial vibration when it is cranked. However, there is one catch which might pose problem when driving on higher altitudes, the radiator fan motor is non-electric like regular cars hence the chances of overheating of the engine is more.

1) City:

Driving the Thar in the city isn't much of an issue. The low end torque is superb and you don't need to down shift very often as power is available from very low RPM at a gentle tap of the accelerator. Thar is compact in terms of Length & Width which makes it easy to park in tight spaces. The engine has slight grunt at lower speeds which subsides later. Driveability and maneuverability can be a little problem as the turning radius and throw of the steering is longer than other cars. To summarize I enjoy driving the Thar in City as other vehicles dont dare to cross your path and in traffic conditions frequent shifting of gears is not needed. The engine idles at 950 RPM without AC and around 1050 RPM with AC.

2) Highway:

Till date haven't take the Thar for long drive barring couple of to and fro travel between Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar. Overall found the Thar to remain planted all the time without much body roll. Potholes are eaten away easily at higher speeds though you will feel little rattling when driven over potholes on low speeds. The RPM meter stays at around 2000 RPM at a speed of 80 Km/hr. The engine remains silent above 60km/hr and hardly any noise transmits into the cabin.Overtaking on highways is a breeze with the Thar, all you need is a tap on the accelerator and the job is done. Once, I take it out for a longer drive I will post more details on this.

Overall I felt the engine is powerful, doesn't have turbo lag and is very much refined. Quick maneuvering by revving the engine in the City or highways is managed very neatly. It doesn't disappoint in its performance. Driving a Thar is not car like and neither it is like crude Jeeps. So I would say its Thar Like.

- Gearshift & clutch:

5 Speed Gear Lever and 4X4 Lever at the back:
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-gear-lever.jpg

Thar comes with a 5 Speed manual gearbox. Driving it in the city and on the highways is not a problem once you get hold of the gear ratio. Gear shifts are smooth but the throw of clutch and gears is very long. You can drive off from standstill in 2nd gear itself from 0 km/hr and once it crosses 20 Km/hr mark it can move in 4th gear also. The Thar can climb flyovers even in 4th or 5th gear without even needing a downshift. If at all anybody hops in your path compelling to slowdown, you can steer away without downshifting.

The 5th gear is good for cruising and its quick also, overtaking and immediate maneuvering on high speeds is easily taken care off. After 1800 Rpm and at around 60 Km/hr you can shift into 5th Gear and then cruise on the highway. At around 80 kmph the RPM meter hovers around 1800-1900 RPM whereas the 100 Km/hr mark is achieved at 2000-2100 RPM when driving in 5th gear. If you use the gear ratio properly then the Thar can cruise effortlessly and even return better fuel economy.

In the cities mostly I drive in 2nd to 4th gear as the average speed is in the range of 40-50 kmph whereas on the highways its around 80-90 kmph and mostly in 5th gear..

ABC Pedal.

From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-abc-pedal.jpg

Clutch type: Thar gets a Hydraulically actuated single plate dry type clutch. The throw of the clutch is long but it is butter smooth.

Drawbacks:

1) Reverse gear doesn't engage easily, needs some effort.(Faced the same issue in Swift).
2) Dead pedal not provided next to the clutch.
3) Gear Lever keeps on vibrating at all times.
4) Long gear throws requiring some physical effort to shift the gears.

- Fuel efficiency: The company claims a FE of 16.55 Kmpl. Overall Thar has returned fuel efficiency of 12-14 Kmpl with a combination of City and Highway run. Driving sedately without unnecessarily accelerating the engine and maintaining revvs between the range of 1600-2000 RPM returns better fuel economy.While driving on highways maintaining a speed of 80-90 Kmph returns better fuel economy. Yet to note the FE On a longer highway run which is still few months away. Will update subsequently.

- Suspension & ride quality:

The Thar comes with IFS with Torsion bar at the front and Semi-elliptical Leaf spring suspension at the rear.The Thar eats up potholes,bumps, bad roads etc. for breakfast at any speeds.The Independent front suspension keeps the ride smooth but with the leaf spring suspension the rear feels little bouncy. The rear particularly feels jolty whenever there are 1 or 2 people in the Thar but it performs better when there are more people at the rear.

Ride quality of the Thar is much better when driven at high speeds, it doesn't feel nervous at all, body roll is also well controlled and it runs while sticking firmly on the road.Even the performance remains same during a quick maneuver on the highway at high speed. I have driven it for 2-3 hours in harsh city traffic but didn't feel any sort of fatigue or tiredness at all.

Things change when Thar is driven at lower speeds as any small undulations on the road is very prominently felt inside the cabin. There is always an upward & side to side lateral movement when driven over bumps and potholes at lower speeds. Older people might not like the ride quality of the Thar while driving in City.

But since, it is a body on frame design and just like every SUV with similar design the ride quality improves with more passenger or load onboard. The overall suspension setup is firm and you wont even bother to slow down on uneven roads. With almost NIL weight at the top, quick turning at high speeds might turn the Thar turtle.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th September 2019 at 08:15. Reason: Grammatical errors
abhikb is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 23:48   #2
BHPian

From Car to Thar. The Story of our Thar 700 (Signature Edition)

- Steering & Braking : The Thar gets the same steering as that of the Bolero and is Rack and Pinion type power steering without any form of adjusting mechanism. It gets soft touch material and thumb contours which makes it nice to hold. The steering wheel is positioned properly and doesn't get jittery when in use. The turning is long and at lower speeds it does feel little heavy as compared to other cars with electronic power steering.Thar gets disc brakes in the front and drum brakes at the rear with ABS. Many existing owners have constantly complained about the poor braking of the Thar but it seems that the woes have ended with the addition of ABS as the braking has become quite effective.

ABS Indication when engine is turned On:
From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | 80,000 Kms completed-abs-indication.jpg

Even in bumper to bumper traffic I never felt any concern over braking. Gone are the days when you had to drive the Thar with mind full of maintaining stopping distance. I tried at few occasions and was compelled at few other for applying short brake and surprisingly it just behaved like a normal car. However, due to extended fenders, wheel arches one needs to take them to account while driving in bumper to bumper traffic.

Drawbacks:

1) M&M Logo on the steering is made of plastic unlike other Mahindras which gets a chrome or silver finished logo.
2) Steering maneuvering is little heavy as compared to other cars.
3) Making short turns is not possible.
4) Somehow steering remains slightly tilted towards left even when the wheels are straight. (Got the wheel balancing done at ASS but still it remains that way).

- Overall NVH Levels: With the Thar, the NVH levels are needed to look at with a different perspective. If compared with regular cars the NVH levels of the Thar is no where to be compared. Hence, my way analyzing the based would be to consider the Thar in isolation without taking basis or references from any other regular cars.

Good Points:

1) Engine sound is audible within limits. At higher speeds the sound level reduces.
2) Very less vibration transmits into the cabin at higher speeds.
3) No wind noises observed at the front passenger section.
4) Feels very planted and smooth while driving. Doesn't drive like old design Jeeps.

Bad Points:

1) The soft top keeps on fluttering at high speeds.
2) Anybody talking over phone standing next to you in traffic can be easily heard.
3) Took me some time to get used to the amplified Honking sound of other vehicles due to the Soft top.
4) Couple of support rods beneath the rear seat vibrates and creates an unpleasant noise when driven over potholes.

Harshness ??? well after all its a Jeep.

My Usage pattern :

Thar has been the primary vehicle for me and my Wife. Although For family outings we use the BRV as it is suitable for a family of 5.

My usage pattern includes following:

1) Driving to work daily in heavy traffic: 25-30 Kms a day.
2) Attending client meeting around the town: 50 kms radius from Ahmedabad.
3) Little roaming around on the weekends.
4) Embarking on road trips 3 to 4 times a year: Each trip lasts for Min. 1000-1500 Kms.
5) Travelling for family matters or functions: Upto 1000 kms one way from Ahmedabad
6) Total average usage per month: 1500 Kms.
7) Total average usage per year: 15,000 Kms per year.

My erstwhile MS Swift completed 1.02 Lakh Kms in 6 years of ownership with the above pattern.

As of now the Thar is doing its duty very responsibly from Point No. 1 to 3.Since we are expecting parents at the moment, the road tripping activity has taken a back seat for few months. As of now I have been driving the Thar daily to work negotiating heavy traffic on the way. Driving and parking the Thar in city isn’t much of an issue. Best part is nobody dares to enter your lane.

So coming to the questions and statements I came across while deciding on the Thar. Below is my perspective towards it:

1) Why Thar? - Why not. You don’t get a good engineered Jeep that is convenient for city and highway usage equipped with a 4X4 system.

2) It’s only good as a show piece- It is a lifestyle vehicle. You don’t see any other car at that price point which turns head like Thar does. Plus the comfort and convenience are enough to use it on daily basis.

3) It’s not value for money- I say good things don’t come easy. There isn’t any 4X4 vehicle available at that price point.

4) You can have better options in that Price- Yes there are far better options available but then none of them offer the feel of satisfaction like Thar.

5) You might enjoy it but your family won’t- My family members loved the Thar as much as I do. I drop my wife to her workplace every day and she enjoys going in the Thar more than any other car. Inspite of being 7 months pregnant she enthusiastically climbs into the Thar. My father who himself is an ex-owner of 76 made 81” CJ series Jeep, loves driving the Thar. My parents use the Thar for commute on Saturdays whereas I use it for the other days in the week. My younger brother also loves flaunting the Thar amongst his circle whenever he takes it for a spin. Having the BRV for going out with family is there as an option gives a little flexibility. As for our soon to born kiddo, I wish he/she gets the same goosebumps that I used to get as a child whenever my father would take me out for a spin in his Jeep.

Conclusion:

To sum it all just like every car Thar also comes with its own set of perfections and imperfections, its just that after few days you adjust and start enjoying it.Also it needs time, attention and patience for enabling you to enjoy it thoroughly.

If I would have bought any other car, whenever a Thar would pass by, my head would turn towards it and my heart would say I want to own one one day. But today when I am driving the Thar I don’t even look at any other car.

I would like to thank my family members for supporting this decision and to all the Team BHP members for their ownership reports on Thar. Lastly a special thanks to our GJ Team-BHP brothers for their enthusiasm and humour all through this journey.

Hope this report has been helpful. Shall try to keep the thread updated on regular basis.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th October 2019 at 08:31. Reason: As requested
abhikb is offline   (91) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 08:07   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | EDIT: 60,000 km update

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!

You got me all green with envy! This is the only car that I've loved so much, but haven't bought as I already own a Jeep + have no need for another car. Let's see, maybe the next generation Thar...

Wish you many years of motoring joy with the Jeep .
GTO is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 08:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

re: From Car to Thar | Story of my Mahindra Thar 700 (Signature Edition) | EDIT: 60,000 km update

Great review. Wishing you a lot of fun with the Thar. Like the ad says there are so many of us, who have always wanted an MM550 or a Thar.

Mahindra marketing hit the bulls eye with that ad. Manufacturers underestimate the potential of such ads in converting the fence sitters to customers. Mahindra knows it well and this one is also in the league of their live young live free campaign.
padmrajravi is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 09:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Amazing review Abhik, wish you many miles and off course some off-roading with your new acquisition.

Quote:
Abhik has booked a Thar 700 and is waiting for delivery. So, along with discussing vintage cars, we were talking about their cars also.

We Gujarat BHPians were excited for Abhik and new THAR's entry in GJ BHPians family. We wanted this beast to attend and meet us at Team-BHP meet. Somehow that didn't materialize. We are anticipating that we"ll be able to meet your THAR in our next meet.
SJM1214 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 10:05   #6
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Your phone got lost in the panel gap here...

Great to see this thread. I actually love this colour since I had two close relative swho owned Jeeps in the past in a similar colour (non metallic). Those were the smartest looking stock Jeeps I've ever ridden in.

Not having a re-circulation mode is something new to me. Can a cabin filter arrangement be installed for the Thar? That could bring down the dust coming inside and also save your cooling coil (evaporator) from getting clogged and corroded in the long run.
Tgo is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 10:07   #7
VVN
BHPian

That's one gorgeous SUV. A lovely review and I wish you many many years of happy motoring. Commander was the first car I sat in as a kid and it has that emotional connect. Sadly, while the commander is no longer available, the Thar is closest to it. I am just waiting for the next Gen to come in and I am definitely going for it.
VVN is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 10:36   #8
BHPian

Re: From Car to Thar. The Story of our Thar 700 (Signature Edition)

Firstly, Many congratulation on Thar 700! I am happy that actual shade of Aqua Marine turned out very beautiful. Happy Days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
During my visit to the showroom a Thar was placed on display at the entrance. It caught my eye and I did spend some time exploring it, it was the same feeling you get when you get to see something that has fascinated you since childhood.
That's the trick Punjab Automobiles uses from long time. Open the door & you are sold to the idea of owning Jeep.

Quote:
7) TUV300:
Bad Points:
- Ride quality is bouncy and not as plush as other compact SUVs.
TUV is just plush Bolero for rural markets. It makes very compelling case for rough road conditions at high speeds. For city drives better ignored.

Quote:
I booked my car with Punjab Automobiles in Ahmedabad. The entire staff was very polite and helpful whenever we visited the showroom. We have been there at least 10-15 times in those 3 months of car searching, every time we were greeted with a smile and their cooperation is beyond appreciation. Had a discussion with the SE that I will take up insurance on my own and asked the dealer to give the final quote without Insurance.
Punjab Automobiles are a good team. Me and my son ususally visit auto showrooms on sundays. This is the showroom which never says no or that bad face to let you check out car.

Quote:
I spend around 1 hour time their just gazing and watching the Thar.
Eventually ended up visiting the stockyard thrice in those 20 days time and checking the photos that I clicked at the stockyard almost everyday
That is one of the toughest time anyone faces in complete automobile ownership experience.

Quote:
2) Loan details: Through Bhagyodaya Cooperative bank @8.75 % ROI.
Bless the weak economy. My home loan stood at 10.75% in 2012!

Quote:
4) Somehow steering remains slightly tilted towards left even when the wheels are straight. (Got the wheel balancing done at ASS but still it remains that way).
That's genetic defect in 90's Mahindras. My Thar DI & Bolero DI both had it. Eventually I got is corrected in one of the services.

Quote:
Lastly a special thanks to our GJ Team-BHP brothers for their enthusiasm and humor all through this journey.
Community is growing very strong! When is the next meet?

Quote:
Hope this report has been helpful. Shall try to keep the thread updated on regular basis.
This (Hyundai Eon: 3 years & 60,000 kms) is the format I used for logging my experience with Eon.
zalaps is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 11:30   #9
BHPian

Wow, this review made me do the below :

1) Read all Thar related reviews in Team BHP
2) Check OTR cost in Chennai ( Nowhere close to buying any car for the next 6 years)
3) Check out it's competitor Gurkha
4) Check out Isuzu V Cross as well
5) Reminded off my loans, closed all the tabs in Chrome, Opened Outlook 365 - got back to work !

Seriously, thank you for igniting the passion to own one !

Out of curiosity, since you already had two vehicles why didn't you wait for the Next Gen Thar ??
Sk8r is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 11:31   #10
BHPian

Congratulations for the car which is a rare sight on roads these days and a well described ownership report which is totally unbiased. The Thar makes good sense as a 2nd or 3rd car in the house. I liked the subtle sentiment about the jeeps during childhood and about your future kid liking the Thar. It's a rare thing that all family members supported you for going ahead with the Thar. Happy mile munching and road tripping with the Thar . Wish to own one someday.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 13:21   #11
BHPian

Re: From Car to Thar. The Story of our Thar 700 (Signature Edition)

Congratulation on your smart purchase.

I will list your concerns point by point

3) Doors opening and closing are very stiff and takes a bit of effort to close.
Pl. spray WD-40 at the latches and on the inside of the door handle.

5) Rattling and Squeaking noises keep on coming.
Major rattling is from the Tailgate. Wrap the male latch with Insulation tape and the sound will be gone.

10) The side glasses are extremely reflective.
That is because they are vertical. Even the 2.25cr Mercedes G63AMG has this issue

13) Interior gets very dusty in regular use.
You have to close all the minor gaps. Put double-side Velcro tapes at the bottom corners above the wheel arch (towards front). It tends to lift up from that area at speeds.
Keep the 3 Velcro flaps on the rear firmly closed. Most of the Thars owners have the canopy ends inside when they close the rear door which is wrong. Lift the canopy end and then close the rear door. This will prevent air getting suck in.
For further prevention, Remove the plastic strips inside the lower ends & put 12 mm diameter aluminium pipes in their place. You can seal the Fabric by a strong double side tape or a Velcro tape.

3) A semi hardtop or a FRP hardtop. Maybe not sure.
Pl. think before doing this. You will lose the shape and charm of the Thar. Very few Hardtops look good.

1) Reverse gear doesn't engage easily, needs some effort.
Check with ASS. Mine is butter smooth.

The seats come with leather seat cover with Thar logo embossed on it.
I like how the new seats look but the only problem is our Ahmedabad Summer. They are not offering real leather - the ones you have are Vinyl or what you call Artificial leather which will wet your shirt from the back. I am thinking of removing the vinyl OE cover and getting a black fabric cover made.

Balancing will not solve this. Remove the steering wheel and fix it a notch on the right side. Speak with Vijay at Punjab workshop. He will guide you.
KkVaidya is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 13:54   #12
BANNED

Congrats Abhik !

Thar is a wonderful vehicle and it will keep on reminding you the same when you will see it conquers the roads where the normal 2WD fails and you will march ahead with confidence.

Meanwhile you can change the IRVM and OVRM with Bolero's which are direct fit and also you will get Day/night functionality with Bolero's IRVM. I have done the same as well.

Wishing you wonderful miles ahead.... Cheers !!!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th September 2019 at 15:09. Reason: Rule #11. Removing the attachment thus.
The King is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 14:27   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!

You got me all green with envy! This is the only car that I've loved so much, but haven't bought as I already own a Jeep + have no need for another car. Let's see, maybe the next generation Thar...

Wish you many years of motoring joy with the Jeep .
Thanks GTO for your inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Great review. Wishing you a lot of fun with the Thar. Like the ad says there are so many of us, who have always wanted an MM550 or a Thar.

Mahindra marketing hit the bulls eye with that ad. Manufacturers underestimate the potential of such ads in converting the fence sitters to customers. Mahindra knows it well and this one is also in the league of their live young live free campaign.
Totally agree on your point. The video still gives me goosebumps whenever I view it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Amazing review Abhik, wish you many miles and off course some off-roading with your new acquisition.

We Gujarat BHPians were excited for Abhik and new THAR's entry in GJ BHPians family. We wanted this beast to attend and meet us at Team-BHP meet. Somehow that didn't materialize. We are anticipating that we"ll be able to meet your THAR in our next meet.
Thanks buddy. Well now we have reason to plan our next meet soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Great to see this thread.

Not having a re-circulation mode is something new to me. Can a cabin filter arrangement be installed for the Thar? That could bring down the dust coming inside and also save your cooling coil (evaporator) from getting clogged and corroded in the long run.
Thanks for reading the thread. Even I am in pursuit of finding a solution to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVN View Post
That's one gorgeous SUV. A lovely review and I wish you many many years of happy motoring.
I am just waiting for the next Gen to come in and I am definitely going for it.[/quote]

Totally agree nothing else has the same appeal. All the best for the next gen Thar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
Firstly, Many congratulation on Thar 700! I am happy that actual shade of Aqua Marine turned out very beautiful. Happy Days!

Community is growing very strong! When is the next meet?
Well thanks a ton Zala saheb. Well now we have a strong reason for the meet-up. Lets plan one soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post

Out of curiosity, since you already had two vehicles why didn't you wait for the Next Gen Thar ??
To be honest, the new Thar looks like a sibling to the Jeep wrangler. My fascination and liking had been for the traditional M&M jeeps. Hence, I decided to go for this. The new Thar will obviously be a better product with the expected upgrade but then it will loose its retro Jeep appeal.

But on the back of my mind I still have the idea of buying the new gen Thar after some years and both the beauties can share the garage space. Maybe, lets see. A crazy thought as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
Congratulations for the car which is a rare sight on roads these days and a well described ownership report which is totally unbiased. The Thar makes good sense as a 2nd or 3rd car in the house. I liked the subtle sentiment about the jeeps during childhood and about your future kid liking the Thar. It's a rare thing that all family members supported you for going ahead with the Thar. Happy mile munching and road tripping with the Thar . Wish to own one someday.
All I can say is whenever something good is to happen everything falls into place. For a small family of 2 people or max with a Kid, the Thar can serve as the primary vehicle but then if you have a big family, parents etc. Thar is better as 2nd or 3rd Vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Congratulation on your smart purchase.

I will list your concerns point by point
Thanks for your inputs. I will definitely go through it. Even I am little reluctant for getting a hardtop as doing so makes the Thar loose its styling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King View Post
Congrats Abhik !

Thar is a wonderful vehicle and it will keep on reminding you the same when you will see it conquers the roads where the normal 2WD fails and you will march ahead with confidence.

Meanwhile you can change the IRVM and OVRM with Bolero's which are direct fit and also you will get Day/night functionality with Bolero's IRVM. I have done the same as well.

Wishing you wonderful miles ahead.... Cheers !!!
Thanks and totally to your point. Didn't had the idea of Bolero IRVM fitting into Thar but will definitely look into it and get it changed.
abhikb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 14:58   #14
BHPian

Hearty Congratulations to you on owning the Mighty Thar. Many people dream about having one, but eventually do not buy for various pressing reasons. There are only few who go ahead with their decisions and realize their dreams.

I am on my second Thar (used) now and i enjoy every moment of it. Few tips..

In all the locks, put a thick layer of insulation tape and some rattling will go away

Change the rear view mirrors to Bolero ZLX mirrors - i recently got a pair from m2all.com (mahindra's) for Rs. 1100 a pair, it is day/night and very good

Unless there are pressing reasons, just retain the Soft Top

Add a layer of Accoflex Nitrile foam sheet on the entire INSIDE of the Canopy (sides, top) - you can search for a store through Google and you get in different thickness. I did it in 6 mm with just a double sided tape to stick to the inner side of the canopy. It provides better insulation from Sound, better Air Conditioning. It costed me Rs. 1800 per roll and i am still left with a couple of feet. Easy and revocable.

Buy a roll of Self Adhesive Velcro and place it for the full length on the rear tail gate Canopy Flap and press it to the rear door. This will reduce dust and smoke to a very large extent as that opening is the main culprit. Easy fix.

Use also a Velcro to close out the small extension of the canopy at the bottom of the B pillar - just seal them all

Good luck with your little mods and enjoy this wonderful machine. There is nothing like it

Swami
swami69 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 16:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Thar! Must commend you for choosing the Thar over all else. More than you, your child that you and your wife are expecting would have most fun; if it turns out to be a boy he'll just lovely his daddy for bringing him home in a Thar. I used to drool over a Willy's Jeep catalogue as a child, used to go over it again and again every night. From the Swift to a Thar, that's going to be one helluva roller coaster ride. I don't see any music system in the dash and you better change to a hard top, for security and weather protection reasons as this is going to be your prime car. Probably, you may need insulation and sound deadening in the firewall and wheel wells and floor. Happy motoring, Abhi and all the best to you, your wife and family. You may have to remove those rear side facing seats and go for a custom front facing bench for some semblance of comfort. Ideally give to some good coach builder who will make it a lot comfortable than the stock trim.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 13th September 2019 at 16:58.
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks