Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2019, 02:13   #31
BHPian

re: My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 20,000 miles up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIBS View Post
Just one bit of caution; CX9 has a bad history of generating cranking noise from discs as they grow older. But I guess most machines would do so.
On the same brakes/disc context, my Mazda CX 5 brakes produce a squeaking sound for the first 2 or 3 miles. According to the local Mazda service station, it is common and nothing to worry about. I am not buying their explanation, will keep checking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
And, Mazda is a great example of enjoying the highest luxury at affordable prices without sacrificing the driving pleasure that a car is supposed to give to it's owner
Congratulations on completing a year! I totally understand your excitement. My CX 5 Touring is 8 months old and I enjoy every drive. Though miss the Turbo power, I wish they launched before I bought it.
Not to steal the thunder but sharing my thoughts - I test drove every 5, 6, 7 and 8 seater non-luxury car in the market. Found Mazda's design, interiors and handling awesome at this price point.
Dislike Mazdas tech though; entertainment unit - laggy, no multi-screen, SD card-based no traffic nav; lane keep assist is forgiving (at times wonder if it is working - won't nudge me until I step on the lane marking. Good part is it is non-intrusive though so doesn't take away driving joy) etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif_baig View Post
I just wish Mazda could address some of the things like cargo capacity, climate control, towing capacity and the general visibility.

I am in line to upgrade my Outback around June next year and will test drive it again. It will be a choice between the Ascent and the CX9 for me.
You summarized the limitations very well. I was telling a friend that Mazdas have less space everywhere - glove, leg space, handrest glove, boot and just everywhere. In spite of its comparable, if not long, wheelbase compared with a CR-V, my CX5 has less cabin space. But I am tempted with the handling.

Not to hijack this thread, but I test drove Ascent and CX-9 (ended up buying a CX5, that's a different story). Liked the CX-9's handling and interiors and Ascent's intrusive Lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, emergency braking, space, and Subaru's symmetrical AWD. I did not like interiors, Subaru first-model-year-niggles, and therefore reliability.
BusyBoyKK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 02:30   #32
BHPian

re: My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 20,000 miles up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBoyKK View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but I test drove Ascent and CX-9 (ended up buying a CX5, that's a different story). Liked the CX-9's handling and interiors and Ascent's intrusive Lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, emergency braking, space, and Subaru's symmetrical AWD. I did not like interiors, Subaru first-model-year-niggles, and therefore reliability.
I've had the Outback with the Tech Package which includes the Lane Keep, Adaptive Cruise, Emergency Braking, Blind Spot Monitoring, etc for the past 3.5 years and it has actually saved me on quite a few occasions already especially when driving on the back-country and rural, unlit, slick roads in the Ontario Snow Belt (Grey & Bruce counties). So I'm a big fan :-). Also, I've had absolutely trouble-free ownership till date (finger's crossed).

I've driven my colleague's 2019 Ascent Ltd and really enjoyed it. It feels so familiar to me - just like driving the Outback's bigger brother. I found the interiors to be functional - not quite spartan but not top grade like the CX-9 Signature trim. I'm hoping that Subaru plonks the 2020 Outback's 11.6 inch infotainment screen in the Ascent though :-).

At this stage, I'm leaning Ascent 75% and CX-9 25%.

Last edited by kashif_baig : 1st November 2019 at 02:31.
kashif_baig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 20:12   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I just wish Mazda could address some of the things like cargo capacity, climate control, towing capacity and the general visibility.

I am in line to upgrade my Outback around June next year and will test drive it again. It will be a choice between the Ascent and the CX9 for me.
You are right. Initially when i bought the vehicle, I thought it was massive but, after a few months of getting used to it, I realized the space inside the cabin has a lot more wanting. It isn't exactly tight but, it feels compact and gives a sense of being snug which is what most driver cars would like you to feel

But, this is not a vehicle with a family of more than 4 members (keeping luggage capacity in mind)

Quote:
Congratulations on completing a year! I totally understand your excitement. My CX 5 Touring is 8 months old and I enjoy every drive. Though miss the Turbo power, I wish they launched before I bought it. Not to steal the thunder but sharing my thoughts - I test drove every 5, 6, 7 and 8 seater non-luxury car in the market. Found Mazda's design, interiors and handling awesome at this price point.
Dislike Mazdas tech though; entertainment unit - laggy, no multi-screen, SD card-based no traffic nav; lane keep assist is forgiving (at times wonder if it is working - won't nudge me until I step on the lane marking. Good part is it is non-intrusive though so doesn't take away driving joy) etc.
My biggest grouse is the slow start up of the navigation screen. I start the car and have to wait a full 45-50 seconds for it to fire up before i can use it which is irritating (If I had a remote engine start, it would have solved this problem). Need to figure out how much it costs? Any ideas?

Lane keep assist is non-intrusive and I like it that way. Intrusive is for newbie drivers and will mar the overall driving experience by constantly nudging you each time

Quote:
You summarized the limitations very well. I was telling a friend that Mazdas have less space everywhere - glove, leg space, handrest glove, boot and just everywhere. In spite of its comparable, if not long, wheelbase compared with a CR-V, my CX5 has less cabin space. But I am tempted with the handling.
Totally agree. Space is tight but, how it drives makes up for every little grouse that I have with it

Quote:
Btw, I drove the new CX-5 with the 2.5L engine. It is simply explosive to drive and handles like a mini sports car. Share, Precise and great acceleration. I will probably replace the CX-9 with a CX-5 for my wife while I will continue to struggle with my dilemma between a Charger HEMI vs. Challenger HEMI

Last weekend, we had a fabulous Team-BHP meet in Detroit area. Sharing some pictures here

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_1359.jpg

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-d4171ff1fdd1468cae7514015f903ee3.jpg

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_1355.jpg

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_1356.jpg

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-bc43fa72282a40b089b55912162ceb04.jpg

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_1376.jpg

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_1392.jpg

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-994a787677df4ba7b725638ebdb9dae7.jpg

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-dsc_0852.jpeg

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-fc5aacff5ea7495884a65264cb278c46.jpg

Please check out this link for the full report and more pictures :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-...ml#post4684373
mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 20:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Avinash, new Mazdas are looking great. I mostly followed my car ownership with yours while you were in India. Accent Viva CRDI, Cruze and RE 500 (Thunderbird though). Hope someday our cars match again.
satish_appasani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 22:31   #35
BHPian

Quote:

My biggest grouse is the slow start up of the navigation screen. I start the car and have to wait a full 45-50 seconds for it to fire up before i can use it which is irritating (If I had a remote engine start, it would have solved this problem). Need to figure out how much it costs? Any ideas?

Lane keep assist is non-intrusive and I like it that way. Intrusive is for newbie drivers and will mar the overall driving experience by constantly nudging you each time
I checked online and it shows as CAD 1042 with installation, bonnet switch and extra remote. In USD, it might be around 850-900 then.
Attached Thumbnails
My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-remote-start.jpg  

kashif_baig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 22:59   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks JBIBS, Wonderful to know another CX-9 owner on the forum
You can count me as well. We have a 2012 Mazda CX9. It is the vehicle of choice for us to take our dog out to the park, camping etc. With a roof top box and bicycle carrier, it makes an awesome vehicle for family camping trips. Rock solid family hauler!
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 06:57   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
Congrats Avinash, new Mazdas are looking great. I mostly followed my car ownership with yours while you were in India. Accent Viva CRDI, Cruze and RE 500 (Thunderbird though). Hope someday our cars match again.
Hey Satish, Great to see you here. Thanks for your kind words

How are you enjoying the TB? If you got tired of it move to Triumph Bonneville you will love it especially coming from being a bullet owner (And, then get the Versys 650...LOL !!)

Quote:
I checked online and it shows as CAD 1042 with installation, bonnet switch and extra remote. In USD, it might be around 850-900 then.
Oh boy! That's expensive. It is a useful asset during our brutal winters but, $900 bucks is a lot

I'm still on the wall for installing the Apple Carplay and Android Auto which the dealership quoted $430

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
You can count me as well. We have a 2012 Mazda CX9. It is the vehicle of choice for us to take our dog out to the park, camping etc. With a roof top box and bicycle carrier, it makes an awesome vehicle for family camping trips. Rock solid family hauler!
Wow! Nice to know you have a 7-year old Mazda CX-9 which still runs well

I think we have something in common (CX-9 and Motorcycling...Haha)

Btw, Why not share a pic of your family hauler here with us?

Well, last weekend White Katana and us had some more fun amidst the beautiful fall colors !!

Click for larger image format

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_7423.jpg

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_7418.jpg

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_2269.jpg

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_7412.jpg

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_2277.jpg

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_2278.jpg

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_2266.jpg

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_2260.jpg

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_7437.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th November 2019 at 07:01.
mobike008 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 19:38   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And now me as well. Just got a used 2018 CX 9 GT. Love driving this machine. I finally think I am liking driving a car. Never been a car guy.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 22:32   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Wow! Nice to know you have a 7-year old Mazda CX-9 which still runs well
I think we have something in common (CX-9 and Motorcycling...Haha)
Btw, Why not share a pic of your family hauler here with us?
Love those fall colors. Thats right, 2 wheels move the soul!

Couple pics from my archives. Summer beachfront camping, hauling a dog, surfboards, canopy, tent and supplies.
My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-beachcx9.png

Trip to Yellowstone, hauling 6 people and their luggage in a rooftop box.
My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-yscx9.png

I do not have pics with the bicycle carrier, we used to carry 4 bicycles on a Yakima carrier. Does not look pretty, but does the job We upgraded from this 5 seater 4Runner to CX9
My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_4834.jpg

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 6th November 2019 at 22:46.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 22:48   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
And now me as well. Just got a used 2018 CX 9 GT. Love driving this machine. I finally think I am liking driving a car. Never been a car guy.
Congratulations....Welcome on board the CX-9 Bandwagon....Now it's time for you to share your new ride pics

Quote:
Love those fall colors. Thats right, 2 wheels move the soul!

Couple pics from my archives. Summer beachfront camping, hauling a dog, surfboards, canopy, tent and supplies.
Thanks for sharing. Looks like your CX-9 indeed does the heavy duty for the family.....How many miles you clocked on it yet?

Talking of miles, last weekend White Katana completed this number

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_7684.jpg
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 23:14   #41
BHPian

re: My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. Looks like your CX-9 indeed does the heavy duty for the family.....How many miles you clocked on it yet?
20k miles is a good milestone. Ours has 48k miles. Our other car is a electric car with no running costs, so we only use the Mazda when we need to haul a lot, or take our dog.

After the first couple free services at the dealer, I have done all the oil changes and most maintenance myself. Cabin air filter, oil filter, air filter, battery from Walmart, tire pressure maintained by a small compressor at home. I bought new tires on Tirerack and got them installed and balanced at a local tire shop at 38k miles. Also had him replace brake pads at that time. Long trips with lots of down hill driving, where we have sometimes forgotten to use engine braking, kills the pads prematurely. Also, as I do my own maintenance, I replace things way ahead of time.

I feel bad and filled with guilt for our CX-9, as it has been treated like a step child, always parked outside, while we park the motorcycle and electric car in the garage. But, internally it has been well taken care of, it has handled the external abuse (from weather) like a champ, we have done several trips that were 1000+ miles, and it has been pure bliss.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 6th November 2019 at 23:25.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 06:31   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!

Quote:
20k miles is a good milestone. Ours has 48k miles. Our other car is a electric car with no running costs, so we only use the Mazda when we need to haul a lot, or take our dog.
That's quite low mileage considering it's a 7-year old car

My 20K miles came up in like 14 months despite using the car daily only for 10-20 miles and mostly being away on travels within US and Europe

Most of the clocking is done due to my 3 road trips from Detroit-Boston (850 miles one-way) with additional drives from Boston thrown in like New Jersey, DC, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and of-course covering every nook and corner of Michigan...LOL!

Quote:
After the first couple free services at the dealer, I have done all the oil changes and most maintenance myself. Cabin air filter, oil filter, air filter, battery from Walmart, tire pressure maintained by a small compressor at home. I bought new tires on Tirerack and got them installed and balanced at a local tire shop at 38k miles. Also had him replace brake pads at that time. Long trips with lots of down hill driving, where we have sometimes forgotten to use engine braking, kills the pads prematurely. Also, as I do my own maintenance, I replace things way ahead of time.
Woah! you sound like a total hands-on guy. Great going....It makes life so much easier I guess.

I'm exactly the opposite. I can never be caught around a tool-kit at all

Quote:
I feel bad and filled with guilt for our CX-9, as it has been treated like a step child, always parked outside, while we park the motorcycle and electric car in the garage. But, internally it has been well taken care of, it has handled the external abuse (from weather) like a champ, we have done several trips that were 1000+ miles, and it has been pure bliss.
Which is the other car? Tesla? If yes, I can imagine why it goes in the garage...Haha!

But, I think living in sunny California makes some amends compared to the harsh winters of mid-west/east coast. But, wonderful to know the CX-9 has been doing so well despite some bit of negligence from your end which goes on to prove it's built quality
Old 7th November 2019, 22:08   #43
BHPian

Quote:
That's quite low mileage considering it's a 7-year old car
Yeah, I am spoilt for choices and my workplace is so close I could walk. (but, I hardly ever do)
Quote:
Woah! you sound like a total hands-on guy. Great going....It makes life so much easier I guess.
I am a miser, and I think I have patience and trust issues with dealers and mechanics. If I am getting down and dirty to check the work, I might as well do it myself and save the time. It takes me 20 minutes to do an oil change, while it takes couple hours to get it done at the dealer, even after making an appointment. With DIY videos on youtube, things like this have gotten much more easier.
Quote:
Which is the other car? Tesla? If yes, I can imagine why it goes in the garage...Haha!
Yes, its a Model 3 with 20k miles in 18months
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 09:47   #44
BHPian

The Mazda CX-9 is such an elegant vehicle, and this beauty will age with grace. With Mazda having improved it's quality, I think this is one of the best buys in it's segment. I'm planning to move to New York for my further studies, seems like that a Mazda will be my first car.
Old 12th November 2019, 21:39   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZ25 View Post
The Mazda CX-9 is such an elegant vehicle, and this beauty will age with grace. With Mazda having improved it's quality, I think this is one of the best buys in it's segment. I'm planning to move to New York for my further studies, seems like that a Mazda will be my first car.
You are right that this car will age gracefully as you can already see from GutsyGibbons post despite it taking all the beatings from weather.

Mazda has focused in improving quality year on year and not over a period of certain models. Almost all of their cars come with material and finishes that are way above it's segment and still is priced lower than other cars in it's segment. That's their mantra to success.

Are you coming to NYC or New York State? If former, please dont even think of buying a car and if latter than most certainly.

My suggestion for a student would be either the Mazda 3 (Hatchback) if you really want a good handling hatch or the CX-5 if you want some space thrown in. Both are a hoot to drive!!!

We got our first snowfall of this season yesterday and boy'o boy it fell relentless for 36 hours straight making me work hard which I'm not used to as below.

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-8b53c27bbe284b9f8a0aca0bd459675a.jpg

My road companion in the USA - "White Katana" Mazda CX-9 SUV. EDIT : 30,000 miles up!-img_8250.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 13th November 2019 at 20:15. Reason: All your full-stops ran away. I brought them back.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks