Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2019, 17:10   #16
BHPian

Re: Ownership Review - My Kia Seltos HTK+ 1.5L Petrol 6MT

Congratulations on your 2 new cars!

Thank you for putting together an excellent post. Here's wishing you memorable rides and a wonderful ownership.

I brought home my Seltos HTK Petrol in Steel Silver about the same time as you did. I second most of the things you have stated but may I know your experience/opinion on some of them?

Quote:
  • Projector Fog lamps, Headlamps and DRLs;
I'm finding the low beam on the projectors inadequate on the HTK. I figured out it may be because of the lesser output due to the absence of DRLs on the HTK. I am contemplating an upgrade to HID. I would want to know from you whether you find the low beam just good enough or great.

Quote:
Dislikes
  • Gear knob is an eye sore;
  • Dashboard reflection in front wind shield;
Are you planning to do anything about this? I was thinking in the lines of replacing it with a MOMO knob with reverse lockout.

With the divinity also on my dashboard, I have a bad reflection on the wind-shield. It is also hampering the video captured in my dash-cam. If you ever work-around this problem, please let me know.

Quote:
While the add-ons that one gets on the HTK+ don’t justify the premium (INR 1.2 lakhs) over the HTK variant, it still has certain features which are impossible to get in the after market without voiding the warranty of the car.
Unfortunately, in Bangalore, due to the taxation, this difference between HTK & HTK+ is INR 2 lakhs. HTK+ OTR is 14.21 lakhs. I couldn't extend my already stretched budget. So I got the HTK and added the 16" alloys from HTK+ for 34k and convinced myself this is it.

Quote:
There is a secret space provided above the USB ports to keep the mobile phone.
In higher variants, this space acts as a wireless charger.

Quote:
Gear box felt rubbery for the first 500 kms but now the shifts have become a lot smoother.
I have very low usage. The odometer has just crossed 600km and I hope it gets smoother. I was used to very smooth and sporty shifts on my ex-car, the Punto.

Quote:
The suspension is soft and soaks up the potholes with ease.
I'm finding this rather stiff and bouncy at low speeds. A good TBHPian recommended me to keep the air pressure at 32-33psi. I didn't get a chance to do it yet. What pressure are you maintaining in your tyres?

Last edited by dksv : 6th November 2019 at 17:25.
dksv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 17:36   #17
BHPian

HTK+ variant seems to be a cracker of a package with the equipment it offers. Very well composed ownership note. Kia seems to have thought through what the Indian customer would like and have delivered on that front.
Old 6th November 2019, 17:46   #18
BHPian

Heartiest congratulations on your purchase!

If possible, can you please share some pictures of throw of the headlamps in preferably a dark environment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_goyal View Post
Dislikes
  • HTK+ misses out Automatic Climate Control (Does any one know of another car that has cruise control but doesn't have automatic AC?);
Shocking but I do know of one other such vehicle in existence thanks to our T-BHP review. The Mercedes-Benz GLA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Shockingly, no climate control in a 40-lakh vehicle! However, you could be fooled into thinking it's automatic from the temperature markings:

Last edited by aah78 : 6th November 2019 at 22:12. Reason: Spacing. Image removed from quote.
Researcher is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 18:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks!

I recently replaced my Xcent CRDI 1.1 S with Kia Seltos HTK+ 1.5 NA Petrol 6MT. My sub 4 meter diesel sedan served me well for over 5 years/71000 kms and had an excellent FE, but it had started to show its age, so I decided to upgrade to a crossover. On September 29, 2019, I became proud owner of Kia Seltos. Through this write-up, I am sharing my initial experience of Seltos 1.5 NA Petrol.

Congratulations mate, car looks cool in this shade.

Just one quick question. My cousin is seriously considering petrol Seltos but not sure about it's real world FE. His running is moderate to high so he is concerned about running costs. One picture showing Average FE as 15.7, is it true? If yes, then it's good for such car. Can you please confirm average FE in city and on highways if possible?
Old 6th November 2019, 19:12   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeevSharma View Post
I want you to write a little bit more about steering set up, feel and feedback. Can it tackle sharp corners at speed and what is the extent of body roll (if any) that you have felt so far.

Do you think boot space is as much as promised on paper in terms of taking in luggage or not!
Steering is numb at low speeds and the feedback improves at higher speeds. Sharp corners at speed is not an issue. It drives more like a car than a SUV. Body roll is minimal.

I am yet to take the car out for a weekend trip, so haven't really utilised the boot space to ascertain if its sufficient or not. I think with parcel tray removed, there is enough space to keep travel bags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
I was wondering why you have not opted for faux leather seat covers. Fabric seats look decent but not suitable for 13 lakhs car. In my personal opinion the Seltos should have been a tad bit bigger. It would have given Hector and Harrier a run for their money.
I had the art leather cover on my Xcent from Day 1 and I never even saw the original covers of the car in 5 years. But this time I plan to keep the fabric covers for the reason that they soak up less heat in summer. I may upgrade to art leather eventually after 3 years or so. Will get the fabric seats dry cleaned regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksv View Post
Congratulations on your 2 new cars!

I brought home my Seltos HTK Petrol in Steel Silver about the same time as you did. I second most of the things you have stated but may I know your experience/opinion on some of them?

I'm finding the low beam on the projectors inadequate on the HTK. I figured out it may be because of the lesser output due to the absence of DRLs on the HTK. I am contemplating an upgrade to HID. I would want to know from you whether you find the low beam just good enough or great.
I found the headlights setup advanced as it has Projector Headlamp as well as Projector Fog Lamps with DRLs. I found the low beam to be adequate for daily usage. They are certainly not as strong as the XUV. That car blinds me with its super powerful lighting setup.

Quote:
Are you planning to do anything about this? I was thinking in the lines of replacing it with a MOMO knob with reverse lockout.
I asked the Service Advisor to replace the gear knob with the knob from the higher variant. He said that the gear knobs are not in the stock as yet and he also explained some technical wiring issue in replacing the gear knob. Will ask for a replacement again in the next service.

Quote:
With the divinity also on my dashboard, I have a bad reflection on the wind-shield. It is also hampering the video captured in my dash-cam. If you ever work-around this problem, please let me know.
Reflection is present but it is not bothersome. XUV had this issue in its first generation with silver strip reflecting in the windshield.

Quote:
I have very low usage. The odometer has just crossed 600km and I hope it gets smoother. I was used to very smooth and sporty shifts on my ex-car, the Punto.
It has improved significantly for me. As I mentioned in my review that it felt rubbery for first 500 kms, but has now become smoother. Never driven a Punto, so I can't comment if it will match up to it.

Quote:
I'm finding this rather stiff and bouncy at low speeds. A good TBHPian recommended me to keep the air pressure at 32-33psi. I didn't get a chance to do it yet. What pressure are you maintaining in your tyres?
I am maintaining 35 psi for all tyres and did not find the ride to be bouncy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Congratulations mate, car looks cool in this shade.

Just one quick question. My cousin is seriously considering petrol Seltos but not sure about it's real world FE. His running is moderate to high so he is concerned about running costs. One picture showing Average FE as 15.7, is it true? If yes, then it's good for such car. Can you please confirm average FE in city and on highways if possible?
I am getting an average of 12.5-13 kmpl in the city (calculated by tankful to tankful method). The MID shows 2 kmpl extra for some reason. On highway, you can expect FE of about 15-16 kmpl.

Airport run using the NH8 (to and fro journey of 40 kms) fetched me an average of 22 kmpl on the MID.

Here's a picture of another short journey on the highway showing FE figures of 19.5 kmpl.
Ownership Review - My Kia Seltos HTK+ 1.5L Petrol 6MT-img_20191010_202345.jpg
rahul_goyal is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 20:37   #21
pms
BHPian

Quote:
Dislikes
HTK+ misses out Automatic Climate Control (Does any one know of another car that has cruise control but doesn't have automatic AC?);
BTW my current car has Cruise Control but no automatic AC, its a 2012 Honda City iVtec VMT model.

Congrats on your new vehicle. Steel Silver looks really good and wish you many happy miles.

Last edited by aah78 : 6th November 2019 at 22:11. Reason: Quote trimmed.
pms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 09:32   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Folks!
I recently replaced my Xcent CRDI 1.1 S with Kia Seltos HTK+ 1.5 NA Petrol 6MT. My sub 4 meter diesel sedan served me well for over 5 years/71000 kms and had an excellent FE, but it had started to show its age, so I decided to upgrade to a crossover. On September 29, 2019, I became proud owner of Kia Seltos. Through this write-up, I am sharing my initial experience of Seltos 1.5 NA Petrol.
Superb review @rahul_goyal. You've spent a lot of time getting all the details covered & it shows in the quality of your thread. Kudos. Rated it 5 stars. Seems you were working on getting it RFT since a month on the assembly line. Lovely commitment I must say.

Congratulations on the car. The HTK+ really is excellent VFM and pretty much gets everything that a person in today's age would want in a car. Heck - even cruise control & rear window shades. What more can one ask for. For <13L OTR for petrol, its a steal deal I must say & makes the sub-4m SUVs look exactly what they are. Overpriced big time!! Cars like Seltos will bring more quality & features to us & also shake up the incumbent car makers to properly price their hatchbacks & sub4m cars in their true (far lower) prices than what they are currently charging.

Barring the fixed rear head-restraints, the other items in your dislikes are pretty much easy to forget about. Indeed - I think this is the only car available for us that has cruise control but manual AC controls.

I love this colour the most. And Seltos is one of those cars that really makes every colour shade look great. Not a single one looks boring on it. Wish you & your dear ones unlimited safe & happy miles with the wonderful bad-ass car!
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 11:58   #23
BHPian

Greta review Rahul

I plan to take delivery of my HTK+ diesel soon. The sore points you singled out are exactly the ones I had noticed. If there is anything which can be done with this gear knob, do let me know This is really a pain point.
Old 7th November 2019, 14:17   #24
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase!

Quote:
I don't know how much of this is true, but the rumour amongst SAs is that Kia is intentionally not making the 1.5 Petrol MT available for test drive as it wants to push the sales of 1.4 Turbo Petrol. It is believed that after test driving the 1.5 NA Petrol, some people may not feel a lot of difference in performance compared to 1.4 Turbo Petrol, to justify the premium price tag.
Now that you have already driven the 1.5 NA, would you take 1.4 Turbo test and share your opinion?
akshye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 14:55   #25
BHPian

Thank you so much Rahul. This is precisely the model I have my eyes set on, so am going to enjoy reading this when I reach home from work this evening. Have been debating for a while now whether taking on the extra 2 L for HTX is worth it.
Old 7th November 2019, 23:19   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
Heartiest congratulations on your purchase!

If possible, can you please share some pictures of throw of the headlamps in preferably a dark environment?
Thank you.

Here are the pictures showing headlight throw on low beam and high beam.

Low Beam
Ownership Review - My Kia Seltos HTK+ 1.5L Petrol 6MT-img_20191107_205816.jpg

High Beam
Ownership Review - My Kia Seltos HTK+ 1.5L Petrol 6MT-img_20191107_205824.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Superb review @rahul_goyal. You've spent a lot of time getting all the details covered & it shows in the quality of your thread. Kudos. Rated it 5 stars. Seems you were working on getting it RFT since a month on the assembly line. Lovely commitment I must say.
Thank you so much. Glad you liked it.

I started writing with initial things I liked. But for drive part, I wanted to test it out completely and understand the engine behaviour. Hence, the almost month long delay in posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
Greta review Rahul

I plan to take delivery of my HTK+ diesel soon. The sore points you singled out are exactly the ones I had noticed. If there is anything which can be done with this gear knob, do let me know This is really a pain point.
All the best with your purchase. Do share pictures of your ride with us. Diesel engine is amazing and has great NVH levels (read petrol like NVH). If it weren't for the 10 year limit on Diesel in Delhi NCR, I too would have gone for the diesel.

Gear knob is a pain for sure. Will post an update if I get a way around it. What I also miss is that leather stitched steering wheel. Wish Kia provided these two things in this variant.

Last edited by rahul_goyal : 7th November 2019 at 23:24.
rahul_goyal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 07:44   #27
BHPian

Hola Rahul,

Beautiful and descriptive writing I liked the way you have placed the “Likes” and “Dislike”. A question, does this HTK+ come with the drum breaks at the rear? I was under the impression of this having the Disk brakes.
Old 8th November 2019, 10:45   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshan_v_k View Post
Hola Rahul,

Beautiful and descriptive writing I liked the way you have placed the “Likes” and “Dislike”. A question, does this HTK+ come with the drum breaks at the rear? I was under the impression of this having the Disk brakes.
Thank you.

Diesel gets disc brakes at the rear while the petrol doesn't. It is mentioned in mentioned in my review. There's a picture of the rear wheel showing drum brakes.

Drum Brakes
Old 8th November 2019, 23:46   #29
BHPian

I took the time to prepare a ready reckoner for service cost break-up of Kia Seltos 1.5 Petrol Manual. This will help in ascertaining the consumables, part replacement and labour charges applicable for each service as per Kia recommendation.

Service Cost break-up
Ownership Review - My Kia Seltos HTK+ 1.5L Petrol 6MT-service-schedule.png

These figures are based on the service cost as mentioned on the Kia website and does not include the applicable GST charges.

The total maintenance cost for 10 years/1,00,000 km is INR 46,420/- (i.e. less than INR 0.5 per km). Quite reasonable IMO for a car of this size.

Also note that these charges do not include the charges for wheel balancing/alignment and throttle body cleaning.

Here's the service schedule from the Manual.
Ownership Review - My Kia Seltos HTK+ 1.5L Petrol 6MT-service-manual.png
rahul_goyal is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 12:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks!

Looks great!

A friend of mine who bought one, was complaining that with the AC on, a small stream of cold air leaking through to the windshield was causing some fogging. Are you facing this?

Last edited by Hatari : 9th November 2019 at 12:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks