Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2019, 21:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: MG Hector Petrol DCT - Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
IMHO, if we compare what this car gets right & what it gets wrong - the list of "rights" is multiple times longer than that of the "wrongs". And hence the waiting period. Simple as that.
That's the point. We seek value. And this car ticks a lot more boxes.

I never knew when I was at peace to choosing the Hector to be my next car. Especially being a person who loves red lining his Honda Civic, a pure enthusiast's car. The Hector is the exact opposite. The reason it's got a long waiting list is because it tugs at the heart. And the mind. A winning proposition.
coolkurt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 22:45   #17
BHPian

HI Folks
couple of weeks back I had warned one BHPian against going for MG due to unknown ASS support and whether MG will stay in India, and spare parts availability factor.
Now here Two more negative Factor of being Under Powered and that too Along with poor Fuel efficiency reported from our fellow BHPian based on actual usage !!
Anyways, when it comes to SUV, one should be mentally prepared for low FE and higher fuel bills per month.

Regarding under powered engine I hope BHPian T2K4 had taken a test drive of this Variant before Booking the Vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2k4 View Post
MG Hector Petrol DCT
However, if there's traffic and you have to brake often, then depending on the rpm bank you're in, it takes effort to take it back to cruising speed.

c. Overtaking ability is below par - needs to be planned
Here, the engine is simply underpowered

5.6 Kmpl so far.
Old 31st October 2019, 10:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning2 View Post
Now here Two more negative Factor of being Under Powered and that too Along with poor Fuel efficiency reported from our fellow BHPian based on actual usage !!
This is specific to the DCT and hybrid. The diesel is adequately powered and efficient as well. But the manual gearbox will put off a lot of people.
Old 31st October 2019, 13:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the Hector, looks majestic in White. Wish you loads of happy & safe miles with it

Quote:
3. rumor mills for sub-par fuel efficiency on Petrol DCT
That's no rumor , rather ignorance of people who blindly believe the ARAI figures. Expecting double digit mileage from such a huge Petrol UV is plain ignorance. Heck, even much smaller Ecosport AT or any such subcompact UVs can't do that.

Last edited by SoumenD : 31st October 2019 at 13:04.
Old 31st October 2019, 14:12   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Expecting double digit mileage from such a huge Petrol UV is plain ignorance. Heck, even much smaller Ecosport AT or any such subcompact UVs can't do that.
Not necessarily, Please read through this link. Petrol automatic SUVs are not new to our forum.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...7l-petrol.html (Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...al-review.html (Honda CR-V : Official Review)
Old 31st October 2019, 14:19   #21
BHPian

@Kosfactor the Innova review has MID readings and its better not to trust it because of so many over reporting of fuel efficiency. I don't think it will give any better than the Hector DCT maybe 1-km/l more at max.
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 15:41   #22
BHPian

Do check the fuel effciency on a tank to tank basis, after completing running in.

Anyways I reckon large cars with AT boxes will be guzzlers.
My 2007 Grand Vitara AT has a 2L engine and full time 4WD. It gives 6-7 kmpl in the city and 8-10.5 kmpl on the hills & highways.

I just factor that cost into my total cost of ownership calculations.
Old 31st October 2019, 16:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Yes they are not new and hence I said it's wrong to expect double digit mileage in city usage. We don't have to go this far to get real world figures. Just check out EcoSport petrol AT thread where owners have reported real world figures in city and it's a much smaller car with smaller engine than CR-V or Innova.

P.S: My Jazz with puny 1.2L and supposedly frugal CVT returns 11-12ish in Bangalore at best.

Last edited by SoumenD : 31st October 2019 at 16:07.
Old 31st October 2019, 16:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Excellent and well written review supported by good pics, wish you could get the interior with a wide angle for better perspective. I think the mileage would really pinch at 5.6 kmpl (urban). I think the main pull is the DCT for this and the Seltos. But the mileage would be a downer in the long run. I think a diesel automatic would suit better! My City CVT delivers 8-9 kmpl depending on traffic and double digits if the traffic is sparse not on MID but on tank full.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 31st October 2019 at 16:40.
Old 31st October 2019, 19:58   #25
BHPian

Quote:
HI Folks
couple of weeks back I had warned one BHPian against going for MG due to unknown ASS support and whether MG will stay in India, and spare parts availability factor..
That seems needlessly alarmist. Why would MG abandon India when they are inundated with bookings and have spent hundreds of millions of dollars opening a factory? If they somehow do so after say five years, by then we would have a large number of Hectors on Indian roads and spare parts should be available from other channels. In any case most people are ready to upgrade after five years.
Lobogris is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 20:10   #26

A simple question: Don't you think the seltos 1.4 petrol AT would have been a much better deal? Great pickup lower prices better mileage.. even the diesel AT is a compelling car. What made you pick the MG over the Kia? Size? Road presence? Be nice to know, it'll help me make up my mind on which to buy...booked both!
Old 10th November 2019, 18:27   #27
BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
We pay a lot of taxes on car purchases. Never realized this but when I saw the invoice - about 10-odd lacs go to MG and the remainder from the INR 15.28 invoice price goes to our government.

Over and out.
Congratulations on the purchase. A very good review.

I completely agree with the last line. The taxes are crazy!
Old 11th November 2019, 07:43   #28
BHPian

Quote:
HI Folks
couple of weeks back I had warned one BHPian against going for MG due to unknown ASS support and whether MG will stay in India, and spare parts availability factor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Why would MG abandon India when they are inundated with bookings and have spent hundreds of millions of dollars opening a factory?
Have to be very cautious and yes that question whether MG will stay in stay in India is very pertinent. Especially, when one of their parent General Motors left thousands of Indians in utter lurch.

GM left India in 2017 and transferred its plant to MG. And, Hector is nothing but new Chevy Captiva.. Almost entire top leadership of MG India comprises of ex GM India leadership, including some who were involved in Tavera issue.

Perhaps, GM feels that consumers have very short memory and they won't remember the infamous Tavera issue.

Cautious - Yes.. alarmed - may be

If something seems too good to be true, it probably is..
Old 17th November 2019, 11:11   #29
BHPian

Excellent Review - better than official review

Congrats buddy on your purchase. I wish you years of great drive and peaceful ownership.

Your review was really to-the-point and no-nonsense, as normally ownership reviews tilt more towards becoming a fan-review. In your case, it was completely written objectively and with honest pros & cons. I agree with you that, despite its flaws, it is a VFM car considering the bells and whistles it has. And, again Seltos looks at least one segment lower than this car (Opinions might differ).

Your review was better than the official review, because in the official review the actual FE achieved during TD wasn't mentioned and it raises a lot of doubts about the intent. And, most of us were eagerly waiting to know the real-time FE of this car, which is its most debated issue. Actually, official review is supposed to be an dispassionate one, whereas here your ownership review was the One and kudos to you for writing such a practical review.
K.grg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 12:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutsy View Post
Have to be very cautious and yes that question whether MG will stay in stay in India is very pertinent. Especially, when one of their parent General Motors left thousands of Indians in utter lurch.
But now, MG is owned by the Chinese. They have deep pockets and are much more patient when it comes to results. They're willing to invest and wait. And for them, India is the biggest market which is relatively easy to crack.

If you look at their marketing campaign, it's more british, classy and hits the sweet spot. Whether it's their education initiative, to the owners feedback videos to the road trip mini series. And with the introduction of the ZS EV, they're going to step up their game a notch higher.

By actually moving in to set up charging infrastructure ( rather than empty promises like Hyundai has done) to coincide with their car launch, they've shown their intent and how aggressive they're planning to be, especially on the EV front.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks