Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2020, 10:30   #31
sgm
BHPian

Re: Oh, say can you C? A review of my Dad's Mercedes C-Class (C200 W205)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet0051 View Post
Buddy i beg to differ on this one, with this calculation even a 20k run per year which for 5 years of 100k would turn out to be expensive. There is more to it which you forgot, F&R brake pads and discs, wipers (they alone cost 12k a pair). And i am sure 3rd/4th servicing would be above a Lac. I cannot warrant that somebody who owns can confirm.

Let's see
Merc is generally more expensive, so the upfront service cost also is higher compared to the BMW packages. I'm a very careful driver, I try to avoid excessive acceleration and braking, let us see how long I can manage before I have to change the brake pads I think it is important to use the hold function at traffic signals than applying the brakes continuously. Using Parking brakes is cumbersome for short stops but that may help this issue. I remember that brake usage is really low with parking brake. You can check the “vehicle” menu to get the live details. I did this only for academic purpose and do not follow it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
You're right, I did not factor in the cost of brake pads. In that case the cost of the service package cost may not differ from regular servicing by much.
It really comes down to your usage. But the final sentence in my previous reply still stands.
The odd year/15k "A" services are cheaper compered to the even year/30k services "B", so you are will be spending more next year. Again, for every 60k/4th or 5th year, there is an expensive gear oil change, so you can assume that the average service cost is easily 50k/year without even factoring brake pads and discs.
Old 17th December 2020, 09:40   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm View Post
Again, for every 60k/4th or 5th year, there is an expensive gear oil change, so you can assume that the average service cost is easily 50k/year without even factoring brake pads and discs.
Really?! 50k?! That seems a tad excessive. Are you sure this includes only essentials items and not "Value-Added services"?
Or are you saying 50k for the 4th or 5th year service only?
TheGearBox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 10:10   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm View Post
Merc is generally more expensive, so the upfront service cost also is higher compared to the BMW packages.

The odd year/15k "A" services are cheaper compered to the even year/30k services "B", so you are will be spending more next year. Again, for every 60k/4th or 5th year, there is an expensive gear oil change, so you can assume that the average service cost is easily 50k/year without even factoring brake pads and discs.
Then that makes sense then to go for Service package for running upwards12k/year. And brake pads also wear out soon in this car i believe. Let's see
Puneet0051 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 11:26   #34
BHPian

Slightly off topic, but last night I had a dream that Dad decided to sell off the C and buy a grey Audi RS7.

Not sure what brought that on, but I think it had something to do with the fact that I was watching this video just before going to bed:

TheGearBox is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 22:29   #35
BHPian

The Merc completed 2 years this week.

Oh, say can you C? A review of my Dad's Mercedes C-Class (C200 W205)-merc1.jpg

Its not munching miles like other cars on this forum, but so what?

Oh, say can you C? A review of my Dad's Mercedes C-Class (C200 W205)-merc2.jpg

The MID has started to display the one-month reminder for the second service which the car will go for sometime next month.

Oh, say can you C? A review of my Dad's Mercedes C-Class (C200 W205)-merc3.jpg

Touchwood, its been smooth sailing

Last edited by TheGearBox : 10th April 2021 at 22:58.
TheGearBox is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 10:40   #36
BHPian

Quote:
The MID has started to display the one-month reminder for the second service which the car will go for sometime next month.
Congratulations on completion of 2 fuss-free years!
Do update the thread once the second service is completed. It would be interesting to compare a Diesel vs Petrol Merc maintenance requirement and reliability.

Last edited by hridaygandhi : 11th April 2021 at 10:41.
Old 13th June 2021, 13:05   #37
BHPian

Second service

Oh, say can you C? A review of my Dad's Mercedes C-Class (C200 W205)-img_20210612_093926.jpg

The long overdue second servicing finally got done yesterday. It was supposed to happen in May but got delayed due to the Covid-related curbs imposed.

Oh, say can you C? A review of my Dad's Mercedes C-Class (C200 W205)-img_20210612_101653.jpg

Just a basic servicing was done with no superfluous add-ons. The work included:
  • Oil change
  • Oil filter change
  • Sealant ring change
  • Air filter cleaning
  • Lubrication of the sunroof rails
  • Wheel rotation
  • Washing & polishing

The bill came to Rs 28,805.
TheGearBox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 20:22   #38
BHPian

The C got some detailing work done last week.

Oh, say can you C? A review of my Dad's Mercedes C-Class (C200 W205)-img_0157.jpeg

Oh, say can you C? A review of my Dad's Mercedes C-Class (C200 W205)-img_0158.jpeg

Oh, say can you C? A review of my Dad's Mercedes C-Class (C200 W205)-img_0159.jpeg

Oh, say can you C? A review of my Dad's Mercedes C-Class (C200 W205)-img_0160.jpeg

Oh, say can you C? A review of my Dad's Mercedes C-Class (C200 W205)-img_0161.jpeg

Some swirl marks and minor scratches had accumulated over time, all of which have vanished post detailing.
The gloss of the paint itself seems to be enhanced now and the car really stands out in a way that I hadn't noticed before.
Old 9th January 2022, 23:48   #39
BHPian

I have a query. I never really realized this before but when I drive in Sport mode and shift gears manually, I can't go beyond 6th gear. Anyone else noticed this in their cars? Is there a particular reason for this?
Old 26th May 2022, 22:27   #40
BHPian

Quote:
when I drive in Sport mode and shift gears manually, I can't go beyond 6th gear.
Is this only in Sport mode? On my E-class, I can get it to 7th gear from about 90 kmph onwards when I'm in Eco mode. Haven't tried it in Sport mode.

Does it not shift even if you're in higher rpm? Because in sport, upshifts tend to happen after reaching a higher rpm.
Old 13th June 2022, 21:21   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldemort View Post
Is this only in Sport mode?
Does it not shift even if you're in higher rpm? Because in sport, upshifts tend to happen after reaching a higher rpm.
I mean I cannot shift beyond 6th manually, using the paddles

Quote:
Yeah, there was the Jetta 1.6, then the Polo 1.6 and now this. Coincidentally, all three of these engines got discontinued soon after we bought them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Please don't ever buy an ///M car or a BMW with the 30d engine.
By the way, since the M264 E15 DEH LA engine has made a comeback in the new C, I guess iliketurtles won't mind if I go and pick up a BMW ///M for myself now

Last edited by TheGearBox : 13th June 2022 at 21:34.
Old 17th September 2022, 12:00   #42
BHPian

Third service

Another year, another service. This was supposed to be the 45k km service but the odo stood at 13xxx km

Standard scope of jobs was followed:
  • Oil change
  • Oil filter change
  • Sealant ring change
  • Air filter cleaning
  • Lubrication of the sunroof rails

Total bill came to about Rs 30k
Old 24th June 2023, 19:52   #43
BHPian

Fourth service

The fourth service was done today. The odo read 16xxx km

Work done:
  • Oil change
  • Oil filter replacement
  • Sealant ring replacement
  • Sunroof rails lubrication
  • Air filter replacement
  • Cabin filter replacement
  • Brake fluid change
  • Wheel rotation
  • Washing and polishing

Alignment and balancing was quoted at Rs 3700, so it was skipped.

Another job that is supposed to be done at 4 years/ 60,000 km is a transmission oil change. This was quoted at an eye-watering Rs 62,000!
Since the car's running is less, this was deferred to next service with the approval of the service advisor.

After the service, the advisor informed us that the depth of the tyres; tread had reduced (they were in the range of 3.1 - 3.8 mm) so a change was recommended. Apparently, these tyres (Bridegstone Turanza RFTs) last for 20,000 to 25,000 km.
New tyres were quoted at Rs 17,000 a piece. But due to the low running, this too was pushed to the next service on the suggestion of the advisor.

Total bill: Rs 48,512

This was the most expensive service by quite a margin.
Do you think the amount was reasonable?

Now I'm really dreading the next service where, if the above deferred jobs are carried out, the bill will cross Rs 1 lakh!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks