Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2021, 23:55   #16
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Youngtimer Yearn - and getting one home! My Mercedes 260E 6-Cylinder

I had seen a similar W124 E Class last year parked on the Side of the road in Goregaon. Looks very similar to yours but I believe this is a different car.
Attached Thumbnails
The Youngtimer Yearn - and getting one home! My Mercedes 260E 6-Cylinder-psx_20210513_234747.jpg  

v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 07:43   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

///RMan, read your thread over a sumptuous lunch yesterday - from start to end, word to word - and can't figure out whether you are lucky to have the car, or the car is lucky to have such a loving owner .

Well-written too, you have an amazing writing style.

Congratulations again on buying an iconic Mercedes-Benz. That 6-cylinder under the hood will always make it way more special than the Indian E220s. Your thread does illustrate how important it is to have a good network, be it to buy a special car (Mr. D), source parts for one, or maintain it. It also reminds all of us that classics & youngtimers need a lot of time & effort.

You should create a new thread in the Team-BHP Directory for Loycarz. Will help his business, and other BHPians, since he is so good.

Last edited by GTO : 14th May 2021 at 16:39.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 11:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

What a wonderful story of good logic, perseverance and hard work to get a beauty back on the road. Got a new perspective of the W124 E Class range as the most popular ones were of course the E220.

Have to say always loved all those Mercs which had those classic rectangular lights but never really liked the oval ones so much . Pardon me overlooking all other merits of those cars but only from liking a design point of view. The W124's however scream Mercedes all over its body even for a layman who would not read its markings.

That said but a minor thing, noticed at some point of time the 3 pointed star badge went missing. Would you consider plonking one back as it would complete the restoration (at least in my opinion )
girishglg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 12:30   #19
BHPian

///RMan, Congrats on the new buy, welcome to the classic Merc fold!

Once bitten by the 124 bug you will keep hunting for another; coincidence I just came after seeing a friends 260; opened team-bhp and banged on your thread.

To my part; I have a imported E300D automatic, two E250D manuals and one E250D automatic, two E220 petrol - manual and automatic.

My mechanic is a passionate lover of W124s. After knowing our mutual love for 124s, a good friendship has developed between us.

The FNG has turned into a Friends Garage and my hangout destination.
Attached Thumbnails
The Youngtimer Yearn - and getting one home! My Mercedes 260E 6-Cylinder-whatsapp-image-20210514-12.27.12-pm.jpeg  

.HEM is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 19:43   #20
BHPian

Is it legal to run 30 yrs old (since this car is from 1990) cars on road. Is any special registration/permission required.

For my information please.
Old 14th May 2021, 19:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post
Is it legal to run 30 yrs old (since this car is from 1990) cars on road. Is any special registration/permission required.

It's not legal in NCR.
Everywhere else in the country it is
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 22:02   #22
BHPian

Brilliant write-up and wow what a beautiful car. You're living the dream, buddy. I wish every car enthusiast gets to experience a classic Mercedes at some point in their life. I can never stop drooling over W124s.
Astitva is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 02:02   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
It is dedicated people like you who keep the classic (or young?) car scene going in Mumbai.
Not even remotely dedicated compared to some people I know out there.

Quote:
Amazing to see how the Mumbai car scene has evolved over the recent years.

It's an absolute joy to see classic rallies or even classics casually roaming around in SoBo on Sunday mornings. As much as it is a treat to the eye, your post makes the layman (including myself here) understand how much patience such cars might demand from owners occasionally!
Mumbai's classic car scene is brilliant. *Touchwood*

Quote:
Wishing you many miles ahead with this beauty!
Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philomath55 View Post
Congratulations ///RMAN!! The BMW e46 and Mercedes W124 sit at the top in my wishlist of cars!
Both absolute legends in their own right. Keep your hunt on always!

Quote:
So happy to see this car being in good hands. This thread has inspired me more to get the W124 soon in the near future, thanks a ton for that!
Go for it!

Quote:
Once again hearty congratulations and drive safe!
Also love the pictures you post on Team-BHP, what filter do you use?
Thank You!

To answert your question, I don't use a filter, every photo is individually edited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Many congratulations on getting StarStruck, Rutwij. Great to see you documenting so well one of your most passionate projects. Looking forward to getting a shotgun ride next time I am in Bombay.
Thank You Spiderman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift87 View Post
What a great write up, poignant and crisp. You have a great set of friends to have accompanied you in this journey!! Wishing you a fabulous ownership and lot of happy miles!!
Thank You! Glad you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Congratulations and wish you many many happy miles with the W124 RMan. It really helps to have great friends and contacts when you buy such young classic cars. It makes ownership and upkeep of the car a comparatively easy task.
Thanks a lot! Yes sir, it definitely does help to have the contacts and know the the right people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaguy18 View Post
My resolve to look for a W124 has gotten stronger after reading your absolutely well-detailed thread! Congrats on the car and wish you many miles with it. I also hope to see it on the roads when Im back to Mumbai!
Go for it! It's a great car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanbir.sandha View Post
Had to settle with a W211 E280 CDI and your pictures of the W124 and W211 side by side hit me at a different level .
Yikes!
Hope you get your W124 soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishavRBhardwaj View Post
What a visually pleasing thread!
Please do share some bits on the asymmetrical Rearview mirrors. Have heard about a lot about this quirk. Does it actually serve the purpose?
Will try and take some POV type photos next time I take the car out.
It does not really make much difference than a rectangular shaped mirror would, but it is definitely a unique quirk. (Although I'll admit my OCD for symmetry goes haywire)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Congratulations on getting yourself one of the best over engineered cars of all times. I am a W124 E220 owner since 8 years now, I can assure, you, as long as you give it enough love and care, it will get better with age like wine
Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I had seen a similar W124 E Class last year parked on the Side of the road in Goregaon. Looks very similar to yours but I believe this is a different car.
Yep! Was a 300D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
///RMan, read your thread over a sumptuous lunch yesterday - from start to end, word to word - and can't figure out whether you are lucky to have the car, or the car is lucky to have such a loving owner .

Well-written too, you have an amazing writing style.

Congratulations again on buying an iconic Mercedes-Benz. That 6-cylinder under the hood will always make it way more special than the Indian E220s. Your thread does illustrate how important it is to have a good network, be it to buy a special car (Mr. D), source parts for one, or maintain it. It also reminds all of us that classics & youngtimers need a lot of time & effort.
Thank You. Surely lucky to have got the car.

I cannot agree more with the network bit, knowing someone who could answer the most weird issue that crops up is the most crucial bit. As is knowing the people who would possibly have the part/would be able to source the parts in the shortest time.

Quote:
It also reminds all of us that classics & youngtimers need a lot of time & effort.
Yep, they do consume time and effort but I would say that is a part of the experience, and is almost always worth it!

Quote:
You should create a new thread in the Team-BHP Directory for Loycarz. Will help his business, and other BHPians, since he is so good.
Definitely will do that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
What a wonderful story of good logic, perseverance and hard work to get a beauty back on the road. Got a new perspective of the W124 E Class range as the most popular ones were of course the E220.
Thanks! Good to know you could connect with what I wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
That said but a minor thing, noticed at some point of time the 3 pointed star badge went missing. Would you consider plonking one back as it would complete the restoration (at least in my opinion )
The car looks much nicer in photos than in person. There is a LOT of work pending, especially on the cosmetic front.
The plan is to finish the mechanical bits first, while collecting all the parts needed for the cosmetic overhaul and then send it for a full paintjob possibly at the end of the year if things all fall into place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .HEM View Post
///RMan, Congrats on the new buy, welcome to the classic Merc fold!
Thank You!

Quote:
To my part; I have a imported E300D automatic, two E250D manuals and one E250D automatic, two E220 petrol - manual and automatic.
You SIR are a Legend!

Quote:
My mechanic is a passionate lover of W124s. After knowing our mutual love for 124s, a good friendship has developed between us.

The FNG has turned into a Friends Garage and my hangout destination.
Exactly that! Have spent so much time at the workshop it isn't even funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post

Nope, no issues as far as all taxes and fitness passing is done on time.
Does not hold true for the Delhi NCR region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astitva View Post
Brilliant write-up and wow what a beautiful car. You're living the dream, buddy. I wish every car enthusiast gets to experience a classic Mercedes at some point in their life. I can never stop drooling over W124s.
Thank You! Cheers
///RMan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 12:45   #24

Congratulations RMan, wishing you many happy miles on this beautiful car. Enjoyed reading your post and appreciate all the effort put behind it. Every time I come across a W124 article and especially now after reading this post my resolve to buy one has only increased, had nearly picked up a Red Beauty from Delhi 3 years back. I hope to pen a similar write up soon some day.
Old 17th May 2021, 23:32   #25

Congrats for owning possibly the best generation of Merc. Thank you so much for reviving this gem of a car. I've been reading all the available W124 threads here and this showed up on the main page. Really nice write-up, finished reading in a stretch.
Old 12th August 2022, 21:38   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

While the monsoons mean the 260E has taken a backseat (since it is rusty in places) and Mumbai monsoons aren't really kind on cars. Have tucked it away in Pune till the rains recede and then going to pull it out and send it to straight to the workshop for doing up the paint and body, while tending to other bits and bobs while at it.

A minor update, which I thought was worth posting, was that I managed to pick up spare parts from a car getting scrapped.
Picked up all four doors, front fenders, bonnet, rear windshield and the other trim around the car. Should my car need anything in terms of bodywork when it gets opened up, this should have me covered.

Incidentally, this white car which got scrapped, was an imported 1989 300D, which I got to know later on was imported and owned by The Indian Hotels group. I'm told the said car was used by the likes of J.R.D. Tata, ex-CMD Ajit Kerkar and other such Tata Group luminaries from time to time. Happy to find out more, should anyone out here have any more info to share

Very sad that a car used by such icons had to be scrapped, but somewhat glad that the parts are now with me.

The Youngtimer Yearn - and getting one home! My Mercedes 260E 6-Cylinder-img_20210403_145035.jpg

The Youngtimer Yearn - and getting one home! My Mercedes 260E 6-Cylinder-img_20210403_145039.jpg

The Youngtimer Yearn - and getting one home! My Mercedes 260E 6-Cylinder-img_20210403_145043.jpg

The Youngtimer Yearn - and getting one home! My Mercedes 260E 6-Cylinder-img_20210403_145046.jpg

The Youngtimer Yearn - and getting one home! My Mercedes 260E 6-Cylinder-img_20210403_145234.jpg

The Youngtimer Yearn - and getting one home! My Mercedes 260E 6-Cylinder-img_20210403_145229.jpg

The Youngtimer Yearn - and getting one home! My Mercedes 260E 6-Cylinder-img_20210403_145257.jpg

The Youngtimer Yearn - and getting one home! My Mercedes 260E 6-Cylinder-img_20210403_145304.jpg

Last edited by ///RMan : 12th August 2022 at 21:46.
///RMan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks