Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 17th June 2021, 20:38   #16

Default Re: Toyota Corolla Altis Ownership Review | My rendezvous with a diesel and two petrols

Thanks for this wonderful story Vigsom. My 2009 Altis GL Petrol has done 1,40,000km. I did face a similar issue when my mechanic by mistake damaged the bypass hose nozzle. Unfortunately this led to entire assembly replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Ageing issue in the cooling system of a Corolla Altis

Summing Up

Barring this observation in the coolant system, the Corolla Altis also proves why she is the most loved sedan world over. Where else can one get Quality, Cost, Delivery Ė all in one, at steal deals on pre-owned examples? A pre-owned petrol Corolla Altis at 10 years of age and 1,00,000 km on the odo for INR 3.5-4.0 lacs would still be a more reliable machine than newer machines from most other brands. Such cars will never be built again, unfortunately.
Yes, Absolutely.

I have never faced any big issue with mine in these 12 years.

The quality, cost and value it delivers is better than most new sedans below 15 lakhs.
GH0ST is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 22:19   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Toyota Corolla Altis Ownership Review | My rendezvous with a diesel and two petrols

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Could it be a fail safe system in the event the thermostat is stuck? It will atleast keep water flowing in the system. On polymer or plastics being used on the cooling system, this has been going on for decades
Thank You @sandeepmohan. During a cold start up, the coolant is anyways just circulating through the cylinder head, and floating with the radiator until the thermostat opens. It is surprising to see this inlet pipe, and the nozzle fail, when actually the radiator inlet and outlet tanks, and the neck are typically plastic and never fail unless subjected to severe impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
polymer isn't very resilient to engine overheating.

In case of an overheat, the plastic can melt given the right temperature and pieces of it can break off and block coolant passages
Thank You, @Vishy76. This plastic can easily withstand even boiling coolant temperatures, but yes, temperature shocks during heating and cooling cycles, coupled with some of the ingredients in the coolant, can affect the integrity of the material over time. That's why one sees these parts fail after, say, 10 years and not early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
The design has aged well with polarizing perspective at the start.
Thank You, @VWAllstar. The E140 is indeed an ageless design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
when it came to cabin comfort & peace of mind there was nothing else like it
Very true, @TrackDay. Peace of mind and longevity of parts - yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govardhansupra View Post
I'm facing the exact same problem on my Corolla Altis 2009 1.8GL too
Welcome to Club Altis, @Govardhansupra. All you need to do is to replace that radiator inlet pipe. Toyota part number 16577-0D040.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhavrchandra View Post
It is sad that reliable Toyota's like these are slowly missing from the Indian market
True, @madhavrchandra. The Crysta is a pale shadow of the first gen Innova. Same with recent Altis vs old Altis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
my 2008 Altis is very low mileage vehicle at just about 30K kms in 12.5 years
@R2D2, Your car deserves to feature in the Guinness book as the lowest run Corolla Altis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST View Post
My 2009 Altis GL Petrol has done 1,40,000km. I did face a similar issue when my mechanic by mistake damaged the bypass hose nozzle.
Great going @GH0ST ; 1,40,000km is actually nothing for the Corolla Altis, but given our non-ideal climatic and driving conditions, a lot of life has already been snuffed out of this car.
vigsom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 09:24   #18
BHPian

That was a crisp review of the Altis. I had briefly considered the 2011-14 Altis VL CVT or the D4D as a replacement for our Figo. I really liked that design and my family swears by the comfort of the Corolla. The VL CVT was rejected because petrol prices are sky high and our usage is high at times. A close friend runs his Altis on CNG and I personally donít have an issue with CNG but beyond Nasik, itís useless. The Diesel Altis actually made a strong case but the low end power delivery was a major irritant. The highways that we have in MH would make it worse. My family loves the power delivery of the Figo and when I drove the Altis, I personally didnít find it a worthy upgrade. Maybe because I was comparing it to my diesel Laura or the petrol Corolla. All said and done the NVH was impressive. Itís sad to see it discontinued.
Old 18th June 2021, 10:16   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govardhansupra View Post
I'm facing the exact same problem on my Corolla Altis 2009 1.8GL too.
Attachment 2168021
Attaching a picture, since I don't know the exact technical word.
Problem is from the part circled in red and coolant is leaking in minute quantities.

And yes, I will be cleaning the engine bay today
Attaching more pics of mine
The residue left by the leak is visible.
Toyota Corolla Altis Ownership Review | My rendezvous with a diesel and two petrols-20210617_170043.jpg

Toyota Corolla Altis Ownership Review | My rendezvous with a diesel and two petrols-20210617_170035.jpg

Toyota Corolla Altis Ownership Review | My rendezvous with a diesel and two petrols-20210617_170031.jpg

And thank you Vigsom, for the part number
It costs some 1169rs in boodmo, I guess
Govardhansupra is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed