Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2021, 22:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Living with a Subaru WRX - The weekend car swap

When I was looking for a sporty sedan in the US -
Ideally I wanted a Lancer Evo, but they were incredibly hard to find.
WRX's were dime a dozen, but in the north east - their resale is incredibly high - anything in the 3-7 age groups were almost the same price as a new one, while the older ones were modded to death, and good examples were hard to find!
Old 25th June 2021, 05:51   #17
BHPian

Thanks for this thread! I have a WRX STI and its the last ever model year of the Boxer engine.
I can share a few pictures of adventures with her soon, if BHP-ians are interested
Old 25th June 2021, 06:02   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Give the car to a TBHP Moderator for 3 days and get spectacular pictures and a review in return. Now that’s a great deal. When do we do this again? I have another car too.

Thanks for the excellent and relatable write-up benbsb29. I haven’t done a thread on the WRX in the past five years of having it and you have done justice to it in a short time.
Thanks kiku007. It was great to experience a different category of car to the one i am used to. Looking forward to the other car, considering how smitten you are by it.

Quote:
Buying cars like the WRX/STI provides you the opportunity to connect with a car community/culture/brotherhood that is unique. This lets you see and do things that probably wasn’t accessible/visible to you earlier. I know this from experience and it’s worth it.

I wish one day in the future the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution is resurrected as a powerful SEDAN and restart the legendary EVO-WRX duel.
Agree on both of these.

As for the Evo, i think its truly done and dusted. Mitsubishi seem to have moved on to making silly crossovers now, and even laying the Pajero brand to rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Awesome writeup on a awesome car. The WRX makes more sense than the STI and also STIs are known to break the bank when you enter the modding territory.

I was in the new england area which is north east of boston and this area the subaru salesman doesnt have to put much effort to sell his car. The car clubs were predominently subaru and you got to see a lot of tasteful mods.

Best part of subaru was it held onto its value and was very good when you went to sell it. Atleast the WRXs.

Maddy

PS: Repent not having bought one
For some reason i dont see as many Subarus here, more so the Forrester and Outback than the sedans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SibiGeorge View Post
Spot-on review. After reading this, I immediately went to OLX to search for imported Subaru's in India. If by any chance sells at a cheap price.
Did you have any luck with your hunt? I doubt you'd have much success.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 06:04   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by good.car-ma View Post
Thanks for this thread! I have a WRX STI and its the last ever model year of the Boxer engine.
I can share a few pictures of adventures with her soon, if BHP-ians are interested
Please share! I'm interested.

This is the last year of production for the EJ25 engine and the current iteration of the WRX/STI. The 2022 WRX/STI are rumoured to have a modified version of the FA24 2.4L Boxer engine that's already in the Outback.
Old 25th June 2021, 09:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
As for the Evo, i think its truly done and dusted. Mitsubishi seem to have moved on to making silly crossovers now, and even laying the Pajero brand to rest.
Out of topic. I wish, a billionaire buy out Mitsubishi motors, out of his childhood memories of WRC/Tommi Makinen/ Dakar rally, just like what is happening with some English clubs. And, boom, he puts, billions in to resurrect both Pajero and lancer
WhiteKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 10:50   #21

Quote:

Did you have any luck with your hunt? I doubt you'd have much success.
Just found a forester in Chennai. Nothing in Kerala.

I am just searching and drooling at these cars. Don't think I would be able to buy it. Even though I would like to purchase new cars, this lockdown resulted in lesser usage of cars. Even if I buy them, I would rarely use it in the current scenario. All my rides are currently limited within the city.
SibiGeorge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 19:29   #22
BHPian

Awesome thread. Very crisp and factual feedback. Totally loved it.

The WRX has been on my list for a long time. I like the looks of the current gen WRX more than what we get to see in spy pics for the next gen. So, I am torn between buying a current gen WRX or wait for the all-new next gen.

In Canada, the next gen WRX is expected to be unveiled in Oct 2021, so will have to see it in person. The new WRX is also expected to arrive with the FA24 engine, which is the most modern engine in the Subaru lineup. Can't wait for a test drive.

In the mean while, I own a 2020 Subaru Outback and absolutely love it. The ride quality will put to shame, a lot of cars/SUV's that are in the premium segment. I am yet to take it on an extended road trip, but with things starting to look better and lockdowns being eased, plans are being finalized for a 4,000+ kms round trip in Aug.

Some day, will write an ownership review of the Outback.
Saurabh M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 23:18   #23
BHPian

Beautiful thread with excellent pictures. I took a manual license in UAE eyeing the WRX STI. I then shifted the choice to Focus ST and finally ended up buying a Mazda6. You know how "family" car buying decisions end up.

Thanks for writing this. I'll start a hunt to get a STi again.
rav11stars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 17:03   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
The WRX has been on my list for a long time. I like the looks of the current gen WRX more than what we get to see in spy pics for the next gen. So, I am torn between buying a current gen WRX or wait for the all-new next gen.

In Canada, the next gen WRX is expected to be unveiled in Oct 2021, so will have to see it in person. The new WRX is also expected to arrive with the FA24 engine, which is the most modern engine in the Subaru lineup. Can't wait for a test drive.
If you like the looks of the current model then Subaru won't disappoint you with the next one. They tend to be on the conservative side and just make incremental changes. Here's the latest teaser they released this week.

Living with a Subaru WRX - The weekend car swap-2022_subaru_wrx_teaser.jpg

MOTOR has an enhanced version of the teaser.

Living with a Subaru WRX - The weekend car swap-2022_subaru_wrx_teaser_copy.jpg

Subaru is expected to reveal the car in the next couple of months for sure but it won't go on sale in Australia before the end of 2022.

Happy shopping!

Quote:
In the mean while, I own a 2020 Subaru Outback and absolutely love it. The ride quality will put to shame, a lot of cars/SUV's that are in the premium segment. I am yet to take it on an extended road trip, but with things starting to look better and lockdowns being eased, plans are being finalized for a 4,000+ kms round trip in Aug.
The Outback is an excellent car that has stayed true to it's roots.
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 06:53   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
When I was looking for a sporty sedan in the US -
Ideally I wanted a Lancer Evo, but they were incredibly hard to find.
WRX's were dime a dozen, but in the north east - their resale is incredibly high - anything in the 3-7 age groups were almost the same price as a new one, while the older ones were modded to death, and good examples were hard to find!
So, what did you end up with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by good.car-ma View Post
Do share the pics, looking forward to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Out of topic. I wish, a billionaire buy out Mitsubishi motors, out of his childhood memories of WRC/Tommi Makinen/ Dakar rally, just like what is happening with some English clubs. And, boom, he puts, billions in to resurrect both Pajero and lancer
Well, what do you know? Looks like this is what the shareholders want as well!
https://www.thedrive.com/news/41356/...olution-report

Quote:
The Lancer Evolution was always a symbol of Mitsubishi's success in rally, and its discontinuation in 2016 was seen by some as emblematic of the company's decline. Since then, there have been rumors of a rebooted Evo, but with Mitsubishi's finances and portfolio in less-than-ideal places, a Hail Mary halo car like the Evo just doesn't make financial sense. So believes Mitsubishi Motors' CEO and President Takao Kato, who recently butted heads with investors that were reportedly pushing for the Evo's revival.

Kato reportedly disclosed this clash on June 23 at the annual general shareholders meeting, brought to our attention by Japanese Nostalgic Car. According to Japan's Response, Kato acknowledged a request by shareholders to bring back the Lancer Evolution, presumably made in light of Mitsubishi's resuscitation of its Ralliart racing division and pending return to motorsports. Kato, however, resisted these calls, pointing to the company's imminent need to return to profitability and broaden its electrified product range.
Quote:
Awesome thread. Very crisp and factual feedback. Totally loved it.

Some day, will write an ownership review of the Outback.
Good choice with the Outback. A previous manager of mine had one, and he loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
Beautiful thread with excellent pictures. I took a manual license in UAE eyeing the WRX STI. I then shifted the choice to Focus ST and finally ended up buying a Mazda6. You know how "family" car buying decisions end up.

Thanks for writing this. I'll start a hunt to get a STi again.
That's so true, about how family car buying decisions end up. A close friend of mine who had a Nissan Skyline GTR R32 during his single days had to let go of it and get a boring crossover when he got married.
Old 3rd July 2021, 01:38   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, what did you end up with?
I eventually got the shortlist down to the focus ST, Fiesta ST and Civic Si, and finally went with the last one. Had it from 2018 till a few months ago when I had to sell it because I was returning to India.

Living with a Subaru WRX - The weekend car swap-img_20191207_154630782_hdr.jpg
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 14:24   #27
BHPian

Wonderful and crisp write-up. Shows the team-bhp camaraderie. I missed reading this thread somehow, until benbsb29 brought this up on the NA car buying thread. Thanks for the link. The car swaps among bhp-ians sound like a great way to enjoy multiple cars and also have occasional 1-on-1 meetups. May be we should have a thread dedicated to this weekend swaps and short term exchanges. There might be a lot of interesting perspectives. I am myself a hardcore sedan enthusiast (except for the 2 door versions of Wrangler, Jimny, Defender and the regular wheelbase Range Rover SVOs) and love to see sedan lovers are still kicking in this crossover world

Quote:
Give the car to a TBHP Moderator for 3 days and get spectacular pictures and a review in return. Now that’s a great deal. When do we do this again? I have another car too.
Quote:
Looking forward to the other car, considering how smitten you are by it.
Now I am very curious what the other car you guys are talking about.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 16th August 2021 at 14:27.
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 03:06   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
The car swaps among bhp-ians sound like a great way to enjoy multiple cars and also have occasional 1-on-1 meetups. May be we should have a thread dedicated to this weekend swaps and short term exchanges. There might be a lot of interesting perspectives. I am myself a hardcore sedan enthusiast (except for the 2 door versions of Wrangler, Jimny, Defender and the regular wheelbase Range Rover SVOs) and love to see sedan lovers are still kicking in this crossover world
Nice to hear from a fellow sedan (err car) enthusiast.

You are right about car swaps and I've done that quite a lot in India. That's a nice way to experience different cars.

Quote:
Now I am very curious what the other car you guys are talking about.

It's my wife's Mazda 3.

Talking about different perspectives I do know how just swapping cars within the family gets polarized opinions. After driving her Mazda 3 for 6 months, my wife drove the WRX one day and she came back fuming. "It's too fast, the ride is too harsh and I hear the outside world. It was like driving an out of control tractor."
kiku007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 05:26   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wonderful and crisp write-up. Shows the team-bhp camaraderie. I missed reading this thread somehow, until benbsb29 brought this up on the NA car buying thread. Thanks for the link. The car swaps among bhp-ians sound like a great way to enjoy multiple cars and also have occasional 1-on-1 meetups. May be we should have a thread dedicated to this weekend swaps and short term exchanges. There might be a lot of interesting perspectives. I am myself a hardcore sedan enthusiast (except for the 2 door versions of Wrangler, Jimny, Defender and the regular wheelbase Range Rover SVOs) and love to see sedan lovers are still kicking in this crossover world
I am not a fan of crossovers, as i consider them as jacked up hatches. Nothing against that, but I'd take the hatchback instead. However, it is hard to ignore crossovers as the default choice of car among buyers, so its easier to embrace the change than fight it.

I love sedans, but given a choice between one and a proper SUV, I'd pick the latter. More to do with my lifestyle and destination choices.

Quote:
Talking about different perspectives I do know how just swapping cars within the family gets polarized opinions. After driving her Mazda 3 for 6 months, my wife drove the WRX one day and she came back fuming. "It's too fast, the ride is too harsh and I hear the outside world. It was like driving an out of control tractor."
That's a good one! As for it being too fast, did she accidentally activate S mode?
Old 17th August 2021, 05:53   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

That's a good one! As for it being too fast, did she accidentally activate S mode?
Not at all. It is just the responsiveness to acceleration input. The poor car was just doing its job.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks