Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2021, 18:29   #31
BHPian

Re: Another American...it only gets better | My Jeep Compass 2.0 TDI 4x4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Congratulations again on getting this lovely machine. Wishing you many many happy and safe miles.

Only thing that you missed was the extended warranty, otherwise is a very nice deal when compared to the current 4x4 Compass.

Headlight upgrade is a good one.

For TPMS, have you not checked Sensairy?
Thanks Arun. You've been helpful throughout. In fact, when I decided to explore used, your ownership thread was the confidence booster. It wasn't easy committing to this car knowing it was out of warranty.
I had to go through a lot of information that was available on clutch burn and high pressure pump failure. That's what prompted me to go for the full checkup.
Headlight upgrade was absolutely necessary. The night drive back to the city from the windmills proved it was all worth the 11k I spent on the lights upgrade.

I did check Sensairy, but I would like something that fits in the dash and integrates with the vehicle seamlessly. I'm still on the fence for this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
And do stretch her legs (4x4) once in a while
I sure plan to. I'm looking for ways to get membership to jeeplife forums. A friend of mine mentioned there are some Jeep Compass groups in Pune as well. Trying to find them.
adneeraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 20:20   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneeraj View Post
I sure plan to. I'm looking for ways to get membership to jeeplife forums. A friend of mine mentioned there are some Jeep Compass groups in Pune as well. Trying to find them.
Welcome to Jeep community, I have been owning same spec for 3 years and JC is superb to drive. Please PM me your mobile number and I will include you in Jeep Club. We have been doing off road drives regularly.
sameerpb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 10:56   #33
BHPian

Any hint from the showroom on when the clutch might need to be replaced.
Old 26th August 2021, 22:36   #34
BHPian

Quote:
You actually start looking for relation in otherwise unrelated things in such circumstances.
What a great write-up with such great slices of life that make one smile. . May the Jeep travel travel long, and travel happy with you.

Quote:
Like I mentioned - 15 big ones
This indeed must have been hard. Are you able to share how did you approach the price negotiation?
Getting the dealer to budge must have been tough given that the car didn't have many niggles to begin with, combined with the fact that you were carrying a sheepish grin all the way from Pune would have made it plain that you were smitten.
Old 26th August 2021, 23:25   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1 View Post
Any hint from the showroom on when the clutch might need to be replaced.
The 60k service mentioned that the clutch was in good shape and did not need immediate attention. To be seen in the next service at 75k kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-n-bones View Post
What a great write-up with such great slices of life that make one smile. . May the Jeep travel travel long, and travel happy with you.

This indeed must have been hard. Are you able to share how did you approach the price negotiation?
Getting the dealer to budge must have been tough given that the car didn't have many niggles to begin with, combined with the fact that you were carrying a sheepish grin all the way from Pune would have made it plain that you were smitten.
I had a grin on the way to see the Jeep because I had a great time with the Fiesta on the expressway. I can drive a bit spirited when I don't have my son and wife
But yes, I guess the dealer must have seen how happy/smitten I was after driving the car. Must have limited my negotiation right there.
He had advertised the car for ~16 lacs. I was straight with my budget of 15. It wasn't a lot of discussion on that topic after we stated our positions. The main topic when I met the dealer was to get a thorough test drive and to ensure that the car goes in for a checkup. It was an easy discussion after the green signal from the service center. The dealer must have had a good margin too, i suppose.
adneeraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 00:54   #36
BHPian

I suppose an update was long coming. Here it goes.

So, I've owned the Compass for exactly 3 months now.
In this time, I've driven it for 4000 kms in this timeframe. It wasn't a "and it all went well" story afterall.

Things I got changed since my ownership:
  1. Clutch assembly - 17k
  2. B and C mount - 17k
  3. 2 DRLs - Rs. 468

I had mentioned that the clutch had life left in it and was certified to go on until 75k kms.
I found it to be too hard on a short trip to my FILs farm close to the city. Decided to get it changed. As always, the service center tried to leech more by saying the dual mass flywheel would need to be inspected and that may need replacement as well - that would've easily pushed by bill up by 35k - that's what the flywheel costs..
I asked the clutch and the release bearing to be inspected first, pics shared with me and only then go ahead with replacement.
I armed myself with a lot of information on how a dual mass flywheel works and what is the point where it needs replacement etc. With those technical jargons to my aid, I visited the service center and talked to the guys in their language. I wasn't pushed around anymore.
The release bearing was reported to be in good condition, so only the clutch assembly was changed for 17k. The car was so much more nice to drive after that!

The B and C mounts were found to be cracked as the clutch assembly was decoupled. Got those changed for another whopping 17k (5k for the B mount and 12k for the C mount)

Although both DRLs were working perfectly when I got the car, the right one conked off in a month and half. I bought those off from Boodmo for 227 a piece - the service center bills you 3k a piece! Although you could tell the difference between the Minda ones that I got for Rs. 227 and the original Philips that are apparently for 3k.
BTW, if you have someone traveling from the US, you could ask for a pair of 6000 kelvin Philips bulbs for $27 - that's about 3k INR.

Expected upcoming maintenance:
  1. Front brake discs - it has an undulated surface and the SA suggested changing those together to ensure longevity of the brake pads. This is a whopping 18k a piece.
  2. Front brake pads - there is a lot of brake dust that settles on the alloys after a high speed highway run. These are 7k for both sides.

Trips I took:
Sangamner-Yeola from Pune
Have an event upcoming where a lot of sarees are to be distributed. Yeola is the traditional saree capital known to us. The road Google Maps pushed us to was nothing short of a trail. Unfortunate that my jeep doesn't have the dashcam installed yet. I'm eagerly looking for the maintenance expenses dust settle for me to then plan for such.
Another American...it only gets better | My Jeep Compass 2.0 TDI 4x4 MT-sangamner.jpeg

Another American...it only gets better | My Jeep Compass 2.0 TDI 4x4 MT-sangamner1.jpeg

It was a nice day trip - still about 600 kms. Came out fresh as against what I usually did in the Fiesta.

Lonavala Breakfast
An impromptu chat on the Jeep Western Wanderers (JWW) group on Telegram had a bunch of Jeep owners meet at Dukes Retreat, Khandala for breakfast. A few folks from Mumbai/Thane and a bunch from Pune met over an early morning breakfast, some solo, some accompanied by their clueless better-halves (mine included).
Another American...it only gets better | My Jeep Compass 2.0 TDI 4x4 MT-khandala-breakfast.jpeg

Konkan
One of our most loved places to visit when the sun and sands call. We try to explore a new place each time we want to dip our feet in the Arabian waters.
Friends and family, we decided to visit a lesser known place (at least to me) called Ambolgad in Ratnagiri. Took a short detour to Marleshwar in Amba ghat on the way there and carried on to the destination.
It was a rather slow drive considering we were 4 cars in a convoy. 330 kms took us a lethargic 12 hours including a leisurely breakfast and lunch and a couple of tea breaks. I just hate when I'm made to stop for unwarranted breaks

Another American...it only gets better | My Jeep Compass 2.0 TDI 4x4 MT-resort-sunset.jpeg

Another American...it only gets better | My Jeep Compass 2.0 TDI 4x4 MT-clouds-taking-over.jpeg

Another American...it only gets better | My Jeep Compass 2.0 TDI 4x4 MT-daring-clouds.jpeg

Another American...it only gets better | My Jeep Compass 2.0 TDI 4x4 MT-panorama.jpeg

Another American...it only gets better | My Jeep Compass 2.0 TDI 4x4 MT-gathering-storm.jpeg

Another American...it only gets better | My Jeep Compass 2.0 TDI 4x4 MT-open-skies.jpeg

Another American...it only gets better | My Jeep Compass 2.0 TDI 4x4 MT-kasheli.jpeg
This was a beautiful sunset point in Kasheli, Ratnagiri. Has a historical temple quite close by. Totally worth the trip.

Another American...it only gets better | My Jeep Compass 2.0 TDI 4x4 MT-kasheli1.jpeg

Some short drives around ~40 km radius and the drive back. This trip probably helped me understand the car better.
  • The car absolutely loves bad roads.
  • Handles like an SUV would, but better (monocoque helps here I guess)
  • Gathers speeds rather quick and is comfortable cruising all day.
  • Good NVH levels overall.
  • Decent music system.
  • Enough space for 4 adults and 1 kid even for moderately long distances. Comfortable seats with good back support, wide enough and good bolstering. I would have absolutely loved some lumbar support adjustment in a car that costs 3 million rupees new.

I stepped out rather fresh after a day long journey to my surprise. I would've needed a combiflam if it was my Fiesta.

I have an Indore run coming up in another week and I'm only happy I've got a capable car to do so much running around in with less fatigue.
adneeraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 18:37   #37
BHPian

Quick update:
Got the front brake pads changed. Went with Sangsin Hi-Q instead of MOPAR that cost Rs. 7k plus taxes.
Sangsin cost Rs. 3050 incl taxes. There were another from Roulunds brake pads that were available off Boodmo for a 33% discount at Rs. 1999. Sangsin are made in Korea and Roulunds are made in Sonipat, Haryana.
Both were said to be at par for Compass but Roulunds had a delivery lead time of 5 days. I'm driving to Indore this Saturday and it would have cut too close. Plus, it would've meant that bedding the brakes had to happen on the trip. Doing this earlier, I can ensure this process is done before my trip.
I paid Rs. 4100 including labor charges and taxes thereupon. The work done was fabulous. I've trusted my guy with my Fiesta and Grand i10 earlier and there's no reason I won't with my Compass.

Went ahead with Sangsin as suggested by my car mechanic. Yes, that's right, I've decided to get my Jeep Compass serviced from my guy and not from MOPAR anymore. They're far too messed up to be trusted with the car in short. Long story some other time. Compass owners would already know what I'm saying

My brake discs had visible undulations and I asked if it could be resurfaced. A quick check suggested that the disc is end-of-life at 20mm and cannot be skimmed as that'll push the thickness beyond permissible limits.
The current discs, he said would be good for another at least 10k kms unless I love to panic brake. I'm quite a defensive driver that way and use brakes rarely. Engine braking and planned acceleration and deceleration is what I believe in - so I'm guessing these should last me until my next service due next year.

Each rotor costs about 18k as I understand. That's a whopping 36k in just the rotors. I've decided to start a recurring deposit starting this month to take care of such expenses
Existing Compass owners, if they tumble upon my thread, can you confirm on the rotors, please?

PS: I could've saved a whopping 8k on the C mount as that's available on Boodmo for Rs. 2150 as against Rs. 12,995 at MOPAR. Consider Rs. 1000 in labor, this could've cost me under Rs. 4000 for the change.

Jeep plans to sell spares over the counter. And I expect nothing more.
adneeraj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks