Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2023, 23:51   #31
BHPian

Re: VW Taigun 1.5L DSG - Ownership review & updates

I had been meaning to update this thread for a while but sometimes life just has other plans. The last 5 months have been hard on many fronts. Three major surgeries in the past few months had knocked me off rhythm completely. While I am ok, there is some road left to traverse to get back into high gear.

So, here goes from where I last left off this thread:

July 2022, Mileage - 7,474 km. This was one heck of a rainy day

I had mentioned on a couple of other threads about my decision to do an oil change every 7,500 km of 6 months whichever came earlier. Booked in the car and had the oil change done.

Her highness on the ramp. I wish the workshops had fender protectors that went along the complete side of the car. These look so tiny and will not always be able to prevent scratching. You can see how worried I was about the PPF.

VW Taigun 1.5L DSG - Ownership review & updates-2-p1.jpg

4.7L of SAE 0W-20 going in. I like to check the manufacturing date of everything I buy. This is a very thin and quick flowing oil. The lower the number before W (Winter), the better the oil performs at lower temperatures. The 20 is how your oil flows at higher temperatures. Thinner the oil is, easier it flows around your engine. So an oil that has a 20 after the W, flows easier and faster than an oil with a grade that ends in 30, 40, 50,etc

VW Taigun 1.5L DSG - Ownership review & updates-2-p7.jpg

Took this picture from below the ramp. This positively scares me. Look at how exposed the oil filter is. Such a setup up devoid of any kind of protection does not augur well for the road conditions we drive on.

VW Taigun 1.5L DSG - Ownership review & updates-2-p9.jpg

There was also a recall for the rear wheel hubs. This is a picture of the rear wheels opened waiting for a hit change

VW Taigun 1.5L DSG - Ownership review & updates-2-p14.jpg

Customary picture to check manufacturing date

VW Taigun 1.5L DSG - Ownership review & updates-2-p16.jpg

Customary picture TWO to check if what is printed on the box also comes from within the box when opened

VW Taigun 1.5L DSG - Ownership review & updates-2-p19.jpg

Firing order of the DADA 1.5 is the same as used by most manufacturers which is 1 - 3 - 4 - 2. Research has shown that this order gives the smoothest power output and the highest running efficiency.

Observations of the oil that came out of the engine. A strong magnet did not attract/reveal any metal shavings or particles. I could not take a picture as from collecting the oil in a container and then checking it with the magnet gets messy.

A point of caution for those of you that will have a hub change. Note that the hub for the Taigun is exactly the same shape and size of the Polo/Vento. But its specifications are different. They can very easily be mistakenly interchanged so ensure the correct part number goes in.

First year Service in October 2022 Mileage - 8,495 km

This was the actual yearly service that was done under the Service Contract. I did not have the oil changed at that point. The Air filter & Pollen Filters were changed. Sun roof rails lubricated, Winshield Washer Fluid topped up. Balance Roof Rails lubrcant and washer flud was handed back to me. The Engine & Brake Oil level and quality was checked and did not need topping up. Air Pressure was checked and updated to 35 PSI. VAS Scanning was done. Some error codes were cleared but not sure which ones.

The battery was tested and found to be fine. Specifications for the battery are 320 DIN 59 kWh. I am concerned that this battery is a of the standard flooded types. Stop - Start systems need an AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) battery in my opinion. Perhaps because there are fewer electronics (no power seat, no active TPMS, etc) there will be lesser modules to feed power to. I recall my Vento TDIs having VARTA batteries as replacements. Now I see a VW battery made in Korea. This battery is just about adequate for the job and at the time of replacement I will consider an AGM battery.

1.5 Year service April 2023. Mileage - 10,575 km

Oil change service again. My schedule to change the oil going forward will be October during yearly service and then in April for the 6 monthly oil change.

Yes I have loose covers that I put on all seats including the headrest before the cars enter the workshop. This time took a picture especially to remind me of my nutty obsession with such things.

VW Taigun 1.5L DSG - Ownership review & updates-2.5_p2.jpg

Her royal highness once again with a small tiny fender protector. Note - Still NO bonnet lining available for the Taigun where as I got one for the Virtus!. Why VW? It is not the noise dampening that I need, it's the heat when the bonnet is touched. Without exaggeration it can fry some ham and eggs on it.

VW Taigun 1.5L DSG - Ownership review & updates-2.5_p3.jpg

What is an oil change without checking the dates on the can eh ?

VW Taigun 1.5L DSG - Ownership review & updates-2.5_p7.jpg

The battery tester refused to work for sometime, erroring out each time.

VW Taigun 1.5L DSG - Ownership review & updates-2.5_p8.jpg

Hurrah - we have a good battery. I have been held hostage on many a previous occasion by my previous VWs because of the battery being too low for the car electronics. They modules just loose it totally when they don't get enough power.

VW Taigun 1.5L DSG - Ownership review & updates-2.5_p10.jpg

There was an update for the one touch up and down of the driver side glass. What was surprising was that they removed the module from the door and updated it directly and not through the OBD port. First time I saw this being done.

VW Taigun 1.5L DSG - Ownership review & updates-2.5_p18.jpg

While I was waiting for the job card to close I took a picture of the Service Contract Costs. Just look at the 1.0 L cars. Especially the Virtus! It is the highest! Why would the totally India built model have the highest cost in Service Contract? Baffles me.

VW Taigun 1.5L DSG - Ownership review & updates-2.5_p19.jpg

13-April-23: A Maruti S-Presso climbs on the footpath and hits the Taigun while parked.

Luckily the car was covered and PPF really saved the day. It self healed at the point of impact but there are multiple scratches on it. The paint is intact and there was no other damage thankfully.

What was more unfortunate was the reason given to me by the driver. The CCTV did its job and showed a completely different picture. Such was the intensity that both the front rims of the Maruti looked like sunflower petals.

VW Taigun 1.5L DSG - Ownership review & updates-xpresso.jpg

And that my fellow BHP ians is the update on the Taigun. I have used unleaded ordinary fuel so far. I am now on my first tank of 95 octane. I have begin to appreciate the wonders of cruise control. Throttle response is done so delicately by the computer that the fuel efficiency immediately jumps up.

Look out for my next post on a different subject. I shall put it up by this weekend. Cheers!

Last edited by Newtown : 19th April 2023 at 23:53.
Newtown is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 00:08   #32

I hope you are doing well @Newtown! Look forward to further updates from you on your little monster. I have been considering it as well and your posts have painted a much clearer picture of the ownership. Interested in knowing how's it going these days.
Old 16th January 2024, 15:55   #33
BHPian

• The odometer now reads 12,000+ kms.
  • The change to 95 octane has been a revelation. It has become even more fun to drive.
  • The km/l has improved ever so slightly. About 12 in the city and 17 to 18 on freeway drive
  • The PPF has saved me about approximately 40 to 50 thousand rupees so far.
  • I haven't had any of the PPF pieces yet.

About a year into ownership, I started to notice microscopic cracks propagating from within the tail lamps and the light bar. Over time it started increasing.

Below is a video that I shot a couple of months back.

I had shown this to the workshop at the time of my services. They were very kind to try and get it done under warranty but VW rejected the claim on two different occasions. The reason cited was that it was not a manufacturing defect and happened because some chemical was applied.

Not thinking much about it at the time I left it as is. I decided to take this up again with a better outcome. VW paid 80% of the cost of the two taillamps and the lightbar.

It was interesting to see the electrical components used when they opened up the tailgate and the lights.

Connector to the taillamp

VW Taigun 1.5L DSG - Ownership review & updates-tl_3.jpeg

VW Taigun 1.5L DSG - Ownership review & updates-tl_5.jpeg

License plate lights

VW Taigun 1.5L DSG - Ownership review & updates-tl_4.jpeg

Rear wiper motor

VW Taigun 1.5L DSG - Ownership review & updates-tl_6.jpeg

Wiring harness

VW Taigun 1.5L DSG - Ownership review & updates-tl_2.jpeg

Many of the components have been sourced from abroad. Possibly due to COVID they were unable to localize it at that time.

This also gave me the opportunity to see the gauge and quality of the body panels. Glad I kept the faith and did not let reports about the modulus of elasticity of the steel used, get to me and sway me off this purchase.

Last edited by Newtown : 16th January 2024 at 15:57.
Newtown is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks