Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2022, 10:04   #61
BHPian

re: Ownership Review | Skoda Kushaq 1.0L MT Style | 15,000 kms up!

All that shines is a pain to maintain

I kind of knew right after the initial days of ownership that the glossy trims on the dashboard were going to require care while cleaning.

Ownership Review | Skoda Kushaq 1.0L MT Style | 15,000 kms up!-eeps_-kushaq_1.jpg
But there's only so much one can do to protect these areas.

Ownership Review | Skoda Kushaq 1.0L MT Style | 15,000 kms up!-eeps_-kushaq_2.jpg
Looking back, I should've gotten a PPF layer done on the scratch prone zones. Sigh.

The pics show the condition after just 6 months of usage. Mind you, I use a separate set of micro-fibre cloth for interior cleaning & rely on a car cleaning/detailing outlet who are quite professional. New Kushaq owners please take note: just get the PPF done ASAP on the glossy zones on the dashboard.

Last edited by rideon74 : 6th June 2022 at 10:04. Reason: Typos
rideon74 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 10:23   #62
BHPian

Fog light installation: the dilemma

My work involves very regular trips to the Nilgiris and now I'll also be doing routes that take me to the hills near Coorg.

In the Nilgiris, it doesn't take much time for a fog engulfed stretch to go from this:

Ownership Review | Skoda Kushaq 1.0L MT Style | 15,000 kms up!-fog_kushaq_1.jpg

to this, in a few minutes or just around a few bends:

Ownership Review | Skoda Kushaq 1.0L MT Style | 15,000 kms up!-fog_kushaq_2.jpg

A recent risky experience was my recent drive via the Dimbam Ghats to cut across Ooty and get back to my place at Coimbatore. I couldn't avoid the night drive as there was a personal reason to be available at Coimbatore the next day morning. By around 7:30pm the fog was so dense at the Ghats stretch that I couldn't see a thing about 2 metres ahead. Things got worse at Ooty and this part of my return journey took far longer that it should have.

So any suggestions would help for compact sized imported fog lights which will be effective but not ruin the beautiful frontage of the Kushaq. I've got people in the US who frequently travel to India, so I could try to get a pair that are compact but work well.
rideon74 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 10:42   #63
BHPian

The journey so far

We know that experiences aren't about the numbers clocked on the odo and more often than not, these moments cannot be captured on a photograph or a video. Sometime ago I stopped bothering about this and decided to just be in the moment. Enjoy the drive and never mind that urge to take a pic.

Nevertheless, I'm sharing few that I did take over the past couple months. In random order, without any captions - it doesn't matter. The joy of owning this compact, wonderful driving machine is not possible to explain through imagery.

Ownership Review | Skoda Kushaq 1.0L MT Style | 15,000 kms up!-hills_kushaq_1.jpg

Ownership Review | Skoda Kushaq 1.0L MT Style | 15,000 kms up!-hills_kushaq_2.jpg

Ownership Review | Skoda Kushaq 1.0L MT Style | 15,000 kms up!-hills_kushaq_4.jpg

Ownership Review | Skoda Kushaq 1.0L MT Style | 15,000 kms up!-hills_kushaq_5.jpg

Ownership Review | Skoda Kushaq 1.0L MT Style | 15,000 kms up!-kl_kushaq_1.jpg

Ownership Review | Skoda Kushaq 1.0L MT Style | 15,000 kms up!-kl_kushaq_2.jpg

Ownership Review | Skoda Kushaq 1.0L MT Style | 15,000 kms up!-kl_kushaq_3.jpg

Ownership Review | Skoda Kushaq 1.0L MT Style | 15,000 kms up!-kl_kushaq_4.jpg

Ownership Review | Skoda Kushaq 1.0L MT Style | 15,000 kms up!-roads_kushaq.jpg

Ownership Review | Skoda Kushaq 1.0L MT Style | 15,000 kms up!-tn_kushaq_1.jpg
rideon74 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 10:48   #64
BHPian

On a lighter vein

Someone had shared this screenshot from some discussion thread on a Kushaq FB group. That reply had me in splits!

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  151.0 KB

And here's something that gets to me every time I exit from the car:

Ownership Review | Skoda Kushaq 1.0L MT Style | 15,000 kms up!-2.jpg

I'm like: Dude...I'm at an age where I'm trying to get my kids to not forget about me
rideon74 is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 12:06   #65
BHPian

Re: Ownership Review | Skoda Kushaq 1.0L MT Style | 15,000 kms up!

Of late in the last couple of weeks I hear a weird rattling sound from beneath the LHS passenger side while driving. It is inconsistent but I checked the bottom surface and there don't seem to be any foreign objects. I am the only driver of the car and it has not scraped or bottomed out yet, so a little concerning.

Any thoughts on what could be the issue? I have a 1.5 MT which has done 6,000+ KMs.
roadlover1705 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 12:40   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadlover1705 View Post
Of late in the last couple of weeks I hear a weird rattling sound from beneath the LHS passenger side while driving. It is inconsistent but I checked the bottom surface and there don't seem to be any foreign objects. I am the only driver of the car and it has not scraped or bottomed out yet, so a little concerning.

Any thoughts on what could be the issue? I have a 1.5 MT which has done 6,000+ KMs.
Own an Active Peace and can relate. I have heard a rattling sound since the last few days that is audible not just on rough surface, but also when you push the pedal at low speeds but higher gears. It appears that the sound comes from below the glovebox.
Old 8th June 2022, 14:46   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquillew View Post
It appears that the sound comes from below the glovebox.
Actually the front rattles were rectified for me. This time it’s the floor bed on the rear passenger side on LHS.
roadlover1705 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 01:44   #68
BHPian

I have an XUV300, the piano finish parts of the interiors do have many scratches despite my best efforts and like yours mine is a 6 months baby as well. It might be too late for me to put PPF now, but I'm worried how much worse it is going to look in the future. I'm on the crossroads 😕
black.beauty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 06:00   #69
BHPian

Quote:

Better to get it checked by skoda guys and not regret later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon74 View Post
On a lighter vein

Someone had shared this screenshot from some discussion thread on a Kushaq FB group. That reply had me in splits!

Attachment 2316910
Very witty. Couldn't help laughing. However zac has handled the issues much better than the brand director of VW. Nowhere to be seen.

Last edited by Turbanator : 9th June 2022 at 11:13. Reason: Back to back posts merged
prabhu7944 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 09:36   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black.beauty View Post
I have an XUV300, the piano finish parts of the interiors do have many scratches despite my best efforts and like yours mine is a 6 months baby as well. It might be too late for me to put PPF now, but I'm worried how much worse it is going to look in the future. I'm on the crossroads ��
That's what hits me: should've taken the preventive measures in the initial days itself. It feels like there's nothing much we can do now except being extra careful about those areas. Perhaps we can be careful, but when our cars go to the car wash guys, there's not much we can control.

Quote:
Actually the front rattles were rectified for me. This time it’s the floor bed on the rear passenger side on LHS.
There's no better solution than employing diplomacy & patience with absolute persistence to get such issues sorted by the SVC team. Yes, it will require repeated visits to them perhaps. I specifically added the first two terms because it really is in their hands to take the interest to investigate and rectify such kind of niggles. Getting such matters rectified before you clock more km will be advantageous to your requests for solving these niggles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquillew View Post
Own an Active Peace and can relate. I have heard a rattling sound since the last few days that is audible not just on rough surface, but also when you push the pedal at low speeds but higher gears. It appears that the sound comes from below the glovebox.
From what my SVC guys did (after I went public about my issues on YouTube) and what's been reported by others in the forum - it looks like most of these weird sounds have to do with the improper fitment of the dashboard & it's innards ( internal wiring clips included) by Skoda. Perhaps in some batches this extends the door internal panels as well. The bottom line seems to be that the rectification job has been nothing more than the correct refitment of the previously mentioned elements by the SVC. Sounds ridiculous when you think about it but as Mr. Trump said: it is what it is

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 9th June 2022 at 10:10. Reason: back to back posts merged
rideon74 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 18:40   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black.beauty View Post
I have an XUV300, the piano finish parts of the interiors do have many scratches despite my best efforts and like yours mine is a 6 months baby as well. It might be too late for me to put PPF now, but I'm worried how much worse it is going to look in the future. I'm on the crossroads 😕

Better late than never! I'd rather you arrest the scratches since its only been 6 months. I'm applying PPF on some interior panels if I can on my dad's Creta.

Quote:
The journey so far

We know that experiences aren't about the numbers clocked on the odo and more often than not, these moments cannot be captured on a photograph or a video. Sometime ago I stopped bothering about this and decided to just be in the moment. Enjoy the drive and never mind that urge to take a pic.
Superb write up! I totally agree with you on this. I stopped taking snaps on long drives. I felt it is important to capture these memories but then the cost of missing out on special moments because you're busy trying to search for the right filter/lens/mode. Best to enjoy the experience and store it in your heart
kiredd1005 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 17:03   #72
BHPian

Quote:
And life goes on

Thinking back to the moment I had heard the noise, I remembered a disgruntled water tanker truck to my left that was determined to shoulder it’s way forward and a slew of jostling two wheelers to my right. I suppose there was some hard metal part sticking out from the mini truck and that had caused the damage.

The next morning, after a discussion with the Skoda service team it was decided that it was best to get the door outer panel replaced. The metal in the depressed part had been stretched and weakened. So a patch work was not recommended by them. I didn’t think twice about the loss of the NCB actually – just couldn’t bear the thought of a patch work job on the car within 6 months of ownership. Having engaged before with the team at SGA & the SVC manager closely for getting the dashboard rattles sorted out, I knew the car was in good hands.
I have the 1.5 MT and people do wonder why I stare at my car so lovingly after every drive. That engine is a hoot, doesn't throw you back when you accelerate but damn it accelerates without a fuss, on any kind of road. Finished 10k myself in 6 months, most of which has been mountain driving (did WFH in Himachal for 3 months) and loved every bit of it. The car is so fun throwing around in the twisties, people who accompanied on some drives were surprised the car war planted even at higher speeds into corners. Seriously, those tyres are a big limiting factor, they give up well before the car does. It was even more fun driving on broken/non existent roads in Lahaul. The suspensions are on point and I was flying over bumps & crests like a Fortuner would.

However, like you, I also suffered an incident. I had imagined my time in Himachal would leave scars on the car, but surprisingly it was Gurgaon that did it. I was taking a U-turn and some i10 guy forgot he had a car and not a motorcycle and tried to squeeze through the ever reducing gap on my left. Bumped into my left bumper, conveniently blamed it on my (this is Gurgaon, not surprised). Fortunately, the damage isn't mega so the car doesn't look ugly but still needs a repair. Wanted to know, did you file the claim or the Skoda SC did it? Also, was it filed before they ordered the parts or after? My SC mentioned they ordered the parts, unsure whether they are lying or genuinely have done it considering it's been 4 days since I heard anything from them.
amey027 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 09:34   #73

Amazing ownership update! Kudos to you.

I have booked Kushaq 1.0 MT. I am a native of Garhwal Himalayas and frequently visit my area. Seeing that you regularly drive 1.0 MT on hills, I have to ask your opinion on it's performance on hills. Can it pull decent load up the incline comfortably? I am just looking for a family car which can comfortably take the family up into the mountains twice every year and remain a pleasure to drive on flat lands otherwise.
hisimbaness is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 10:34   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisimbaness View Post
Seeing that you regularly drive 1.0 MT on hills, I have to ask your opinion on it's performance on hills. Can it pull decent load up the incline comfortably?
I'll answer your query in one word: Absolutely!

With the risk of sounding like a fan boy, I'm quite amazed at this tiny engine's performance. I've done over 10k worth of drives up the Ghat roads (my odo is at 21k presently) - having to do drives with a mix of one passenger or three passengers with moderate luggage many a time.

Attaching a pic of a recent trip up the hills with the family. My elder son (in the backseat) and my wife are a little on the heavier side, while myself and my younger son (leaning on the car) have normal weight for our height. We had quite a bit luggage this time and you can note how the car has been weighed down - the rear tyre clearance is just enough.

Ownership Review | Skoda Kushaq 1.0L MT Style | 15,000 kms up!-20220623_165437.jpg

How did the 1.0L pocket rocket perform? Admirably as always

There is, of course, the understandable drop in mileage depending on the increase in load and a slight drop in acceleration as you swing up around hill bends - but this will be felt only very mildly.

As for spirited drives exceeding 100kmph across flat highways with three passengers and a full boot, I've founded the 1.0L still delivers quite happily but gets thirstier as we move up the revs. The 1.5L variant would be best for highway runs that need constant speeds upwards of 120kmph over long runs.

One off topic point I'd like add as well: On the winding hill roads when you're in a hurry, the drive dynamics of Kushaq is there to back you up. The feeling of safety that I get is just heart warming.

Getting back to your question: Solo or otherwise, taking the baby Skoda up the hills is a ton o' fun. Hope this helps!
rideon74 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 10:39   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amey027 View Post
Wanted to know, did you file the claim or the Skoda SC did it? Also, was it filed before they ordered the parts or after?
Hey, I'm really sorry - I don't know how I missed this post of yours. I did have a crazy few months at work but I wish I had checked out the thread once in between. Have the repairs been sorted out? All okay, I hope?

Most Viewed