Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2021, 17:44   #16

Re: The Lumbering Hector | MG Hector Sharp MT | 14000 km & 1 year ownership review

Thank you for a well written post. The black really suites the car. How has it been to manage the black color? Have you felt the need for Ceramic/PPF?
Old 10th December 2021, 12:12   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Lumbering Hector | MG Hector Sharp MT | 14000 km & 1 year ownership review

For all MG owners, do check the quality of the Jack/tyre iron. Earlier this year, I got a puncture in lucknow, and when I tried the tyre iron it just shattered like wrought iron does. The jack also started buckling. I created a god awful ruckus with MG, and they issued a new jack and tyre and iron kit to me. I had already bought a toyota hydraulic jack and the four-spanner tyre iron.
When I wanted to paint my wheels, the new tyre iron also split, though not as spectacularly as the earlier one.
So, do test out the tyre iron proactively, else you may get stranded.

Buckling Jack:
The Lumbering Hector | MG Hector Sharp MT | 14000 km & 1 year ownership review-1-jack.jpg

First tyre Iron:
The Lumbering Hector | MG Hector Sharp MT | 14000 km & 1 year ownership review-1-rod-1.jpg
The Lumbering Hector | MG Hector Sharp MT | 14000 km & 1 year ownership review-1rod.jpg

Replacement iron:
The Lumbering Hector | MG Hector Sharp MT | 14000 km & 1 year ownership review-2-rod.jpg

And the blackened wheels with a gold underlay All black just transforms the car, especially with the blackened front and back erstwhile gray bits:
The Lumbering Hector | MG Hector Sharp MT | 14000 km & 1 year ownership review-wheel-gold.jpg
The Lumbering Hector | MG Hector Sharp MT | 14000 km & 1 year ownership review-wheel-black.jpg
mayankk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 14:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
For all MG owners, do check the quality of the Jack/tyre iron. ..
Wow! That is just very bad on MGs part. Having a part fail twice is indeed not a one off incident. In will have to check the set provided.

MG should try to use heavier material on the spanner/jack set and lighter on the car
Old 10th December 2021, 21:27   #19
BHPian

Congrats on your new Hector. I remember when you had posted in the Alloy wheel show-off thread (The official alloy wheel show-off thread. Lets see your rims!) asking to photoshop bronze wheels onto a pic of your car.
Quote:
Can one of the resident picture experts here help in seeing what this would look like with bronzed alloys?
Guess you decided to go for the "Murdered" look instead
TheGearBox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 10:48   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

An uneventful ownership so far, except for the tailgate chrome which somehow developed rust.
Raised an issue with MG, and it has been replaced under warranty/goodwill.
The Lumbering Hector | MG Hector Sharp MT | 14000 km & 1 year ownership review-rusting-2.jpg
The Lumbering Hector | MG Hector Sharp MT | 14000 km & 1 year ownership review-rusting-1.jpg
The Lumbering Hector | MG Hector Sharp MT | 14000 km & 1 year ownership review-ol-full.jpg
The Lumbering Hector | MG Hector Sharp MT | 14000 km & 1 year ownership review-new-full.jpg

The car has clocked 18K now, and the next service is coming up shortly. Mileage is hovering at 11, due to exclusive use in city for the past few months. Hopefully, a trip scheduled for the coming weekend will give better figures.

Its been a trouble free ownership, and a relaxing commute even in the heaviest of jams;even in a manual.
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 17:12   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Raised an issue with MG, and it has been replaced under warranty/goodwill.
[
Good to hear that MG replaced it under warranty. Enjoy the vehicle, it has definitely the most refined and silent cabins of all the lot available in market
Old 6th June 2022, 12:15   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

What a dead thread!!!

As far as ownerships go, this has bene the most uneventful one in all my driving life! The fiesta and the Tucson kept things interesting, every day of their tenure.
Not so with this.
Until now!!

Have been on multiple trips to the mountains, plains, all around. The last one was to a homestay just outside of Shimla, which has provided the "event" to post here.
This homestay is one with roof parking, where the roof is at the road level, and the rest of the property is below. So that was lined with railings, metal, on an incline. I was doing a three-point turn and got close to the railing. Trusting the hill hold to take over, I let go of the brake, but the car rolled backwards into the railing, and what resulted, resulted.

The Lumbering Hector | MG Hector Sharp MT | 14000 km & 1 year ownership review-dent1.jpg
The Lumbering Hector | MG Hector Sharp MT | 14000 km & 1 year ownership review-dent2.jpg

In more than 2 decades of driving, I have never had such an issue. Even in the 1 in 3, sometime 3 in 5 inclines in Spiti. Sort of points a finger dead at reliance on electronics, as well as 3 fingers back at a driver becoming inept.

The car is now in insurance claim status and will be fixed up in a week's time. Gave me a chance to advance the 20K service and get that done as well.

On the mileage front-
Did you know, that if you miss the last petrol pump near sector 62 Noida, and get on the EPE, the next one you will find is at Murthal? Made for an interesting (not) 80 kmph hypermiling drive on 2 bars of petrol. On that stretch, I got 16 Kmpl as per the app, so true would be 14.5-15, I suppose. That is more than fair.
The whole journey from Murthal to Shimla, and back till about 50 kms beyond Zirakpur gave the following mileage, which again is more than I expected based on driving style and the dynamics of the car.

The Lumbering Hector | MG Hector Sharp MT | 14000 km & 1 year ownership review-screenshot_20220606115043.png

All in all, a trouble free, comfortable ownership. It’s a point and shoot.
mayankk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 19:58   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Time to burn some red chillies, toss some salt over my shoulder, etc etc.
Sunday I got the car back after repairs, and on Monday, this happened.
The wagon r wandered over in my lane, and luckily I saw the guy still continuing to look at the auto parked on the side, which is why he came over. I barely managed to avoid a head on, and the mirrors clashed only because the side of the road was lined with trees.

Only minimal damage, on the Hector. Lost the mirror only. The orvm unit itself was completely intact, it just shut with great force, and the cover went flying.

Luckily, for the other guy, time was more important for me right then, and I knew that my damage was at the most 2-3 k. Also, a road side argument on the, er.... side of the road.....in Noida, can go any which way.
So the mirror, and minor scuff marks, and 100 grams of red chillies, and a bag of salt - that's my expense. But man has it been a bad month.
Attached Thumbnails
The Lumbering Hector | MG Hector Sharp MT | 14000 km & 1 year ownership review-img_20220613_150312643.jpg  

The Lumbering Hector | MG Hector Sharp MT | 14000 km & 1 year ownership review-img_20220613_150303246.jpg  

The Lumbering Hector | MG Hector Sharp MT | 14000 km & 1 year ownership review-img_20220613_102657836.jpg  

The Lumbering Hector | MG Hector Sharp MT | 14000 km & 1 year ownership review-img_20220613_102653518.jpg  

The Lumbering Hector | MG Hector Sharp MT | 14000 km & 1 year ownership review-img_20220613_102642070.jpg  

mayankk is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 20:56   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So the mirror, and minor scuff marks, and 100 grams of red chillies, and a bag of salt - that's my expense. But man has it been a bad month.
Clearly the stars are looking away. Time to perform a 'hawan' and bang a coconut on the bonnet.....er sorry, on the road.

Hope the time ahead is a lot better.
ashis89 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 20:50   #25
BHPian

Quote:
What a dead thread!!!
The car is now in insurance claim status and will be fixed up in a week's time. Gave me a chance to advance the 20K service and get that done as well.
On the mileage front-
Did you know, that if you miss the last petrol pump near sector 62 Noida, and get on the EPE, the next one you will find is at Murthal? Made for an interesting (not) 80 kmph hypermiling drive on 2 bars of petrol. On that stretch, I got 16 Kmpl as per the app, so true would be 14.5-15, I suppose. That is more than fair.
Sad to hear on the back to back incidents. How was the paint job done by the dealer.

As usual, great Fuel Efficiency!
Old 26th June 2022, 19:56   #26
BHPian

Quote:
On the mileage front-
The whole journey from Murthal to Shimla, and back till about 50 kms beyond Zirakpur gave the following mileage, which again is more than I expected based on driving style and the dynamics of the car.

Attachment 2316984
Which app do you use for your fuel log?

Been trying to decide on one but not happy with most as they only capture the odo or the trip meter and not both, and they only have a comments field and dont capture the pump details.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th June 2022 at 20:13. Reason: ise > use.
Old 26th June 2022, 20:22   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prad View Post
Which app do you use for your fuel log?

Been trying to decide on one but not happy with most as they only capture the odo or the trip meter and not both, and they only have a comments field and dont capture the pump details.
The app is called simply auto
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 10:07   #28
BHPian

Quote:
What a dead thread!!!

As far as ownerships go, this has bene the most uneventful one in all my driving life! The fiesta and the Tucson kept things interesting, every day of their tenure.
Not so with this.
Until now!!
Pardon my ignorance but a couple of questions for you. I too am in mountains, travelling currently and was wondering how do Hill hold and electronic parking brakes combined with automatic transmission cars perform here.

So in a case like yours in a manual car with no hill hold and manual parking brake, one would, engage the parking brake so as to prevent the car from rolling back, then put the car in gear and release the parking brake at the last moment and the car would be out of that incline.

In your case what exactly went wrong?
Anyways in automatic cars, lets say I let go of brake, these cars enter into crawl mode, don't they? (I have not extensively driven automatic cars), so will that not prevent it from rolling back all the time?

Or
Does one still have to engage the parking brake so here the electric parking brake did not hold the car enough or was it not engaged at all?

Which brings us to Hill Hold, which is essentially electric parking brake engaging for a few seconds automatically when the car detects incline, so did that not happen on its own?

Only yesterday I was teaching driving to my wife to drive and indoors in her property here we have a steep incline, the car she was learning on was manual and I was teaching her this exact Manavur and she was naturally struggling at it and the car was rolling backwards (she eventually got it somewhat right), I jokingly told her we will buy a car with automatic transmission and hill hold for her so that it never rolls back. (She was also struggling with disengaging manual parking brake because because of that steep incline it had to be set at its top most position so she was not able to disengage it on her own and was using 2 hands or asking me to do it, was teaching her to do it right somehow as well as it is not just about force but the right technique too)

Last edited by Rocketscience : 27th June 2022 at 10:14.
Old 27th June 2022, 11:52   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
So in a case like yours in a manual car with no hill hold and manual parking brake, one would, engage the parking brake so as to prevent the car from rolling back, then put the car in gear and release the parking brake at the last moment and the car would be out of that incline.

too)
But my manual sharp does have hill hold. It essentially gives me about 2-3 seconds between releasing the brakes and clutch, and pressing the fast pedal.
I don't know what went wrong during the incident. Maybe I waited too long, maybe it was too many consecutive holds.
You're right about the scenario in autos, I think. Not very sure, since I'm not a fan so never owned one.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 13:12   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But my manual sharp does have hill hold. It essentially gives me about 2-3 seconds between releasing the brakes and clutch, and pressing the fast pedal.
I don't know what went wrong during the incident. Maybe I waited too long, maybe it was too many consecutive holds.
You're right about the scenario in autos, I think. Not very sure, since I'm not a fan so never owned one.
What I understand about HSA is that its a brake hold function (while riding shotgun with an ASC test driver) - so you climb up a slope halfway and stop with brake pedal pressed, clutch pedal pressed and Transmission in 1st gear.

Essentially the vehicle needs to know that you`ve come to a controlled stop and wish to move forward.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks