Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2022, 13:01   #16
BHPian

Re: Citroën C5 Aircross | The car that blew me away

Great review sir! Specially coming for Citroen C5 which is a rare breed. Attention to detail Next I am looking forward to Fortuner Review

Cheers,
RAGHAV
RAHS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 13:34   #17
BHPian

Excellent review, Sir. Thanks for sharing.

IMO, the biggest misstep by Citroen apart from the pricing was trying to make it 5 seater overtly.

At this price point and the particular segment, I would assume 90+% of usage will be maximum of 4 occupants. By trying to provide 3 individual seats and enhancing the middle passenger, they have managed to worsen the seating of all 3 rear passengers.

In our country, a good chunk of cars in the segment are chauffeur driven and rear seat comfort is a key deciding element. So Citroen should have focused more on providing comfortable seats for 2 passengers and a congested 3 seat setup. Leather seats should have been a no-brainer too.

Further, while the boot space is fantastic, an option to slide the rear seats a bit more would have been appreciated too. All that boot space wouldn't be used for every drive and could instead improve the legspace significantly.
FloatingCanvas is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 13:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

I did not get to test drive this model yet but going by the reviews, official t-bhp and otherwise, It seems like a solid offering by consensus but overpriced, also by consensus.
Would the OP be able to comment on any discounts offered to your friend for C5?, I imagine being such a low volume seller it must have had some offers on it despite the silicon shortage.
Maky is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 14:08   #19
BHPian

I saw the car in person, in fact went to the showroom, to just check out the new entrant. Nice design. Liked the size and fit and finish, mostly. The interiors are a mix bag. Good quality, but you don't really feel you are getting more than what you are paying - something we Indians absolutely can't compromise on. The digital speedometer was also a bit of meh. And regarding the rear seats, this would really be its undoing in India. Indians at this price point are chauffeur driven, and I am sorry no one would want to sit in the back. Don't know what research they did, but I am sure they didn't do any. Because this looks like a car for a decent to do French family with 2 or 3 kids. The kids go at the back, in their respective seats, wearing their respective seat belts, without arguing or fighting with their siblings. This is not for Indians at all, who do have parents and family, rather than just kids, who by the way won't stop making a racket irrespective of individual seats, and neither are Indians as petite as the French, so there is no way 3 normal sized Indians can sit here. This is a halo product, for a miniscule affluent Millennial DINK (Double Income No Kids), who know enough about cars to go for an expensive French car. Good luck with that!

Alternatively you could view this as a push for size zero. Which is nice and all, but to pay 40 lakhs and then be told to lose weight, the French themselves might revolt at that.

Last edited by forty6 : 15th April 2022 at 14:10. Reason: typo
forty6 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 14:53   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The French just don't understand India. If I was the CEO of Citroen India, I'd have sold the C5 Aircross at a mouthwatering price...even if I was losing 5 - 7 lakhs per car. Attachment 2296650
Beg to differ here. Buying market shares is simplest of the things one can do, but it's never sustainable. If people have to experience the car they will go and take a test drive. There are companies that make 'Profit First' as a strategy and focus on making products that are differentiated, offer value and hence (hopefully) succeed. Time will tell if Citroen succeeds (if measure of success is Market Share then may be not) in India.

Last edited by Axe77 : 16th April 2022 at 06:40. Reason: Minor typo.
ulhas.ahirrao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 15:06   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Options considered

Although some of the options considered here didn’t meet his most important requirement viz. ride quality, they were still evaluated just to get to the right car.

1. Skoda Kodiaq
2. BMW X3
3. XUV700
4. Toyota Fortuner
5. Toyota Innova Crysta
6. Jeep Compass
7. Tata Safari
8. Tata Harrier
9. Maruti XL6
10. Maruti S-Cross
11. MG Hector Plus

Attachment 2296438
It rather intrigues me that the car we (in this case a friend) usually end up buying is seldom in the initial models that we shortlisted. It is more-often-than-not a surprise entry, which actually makes the final cut. Interesting purchase patterns and automobile enthusiast psychology.

That said, wishing your friend thousands of happy miles ahead!
TwistOfFate! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 15:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

That's a super write up and I agree with everything you say about the C5. Hands down it is one of the best cars on sale today out there. The price is the only party pooper to what is a brilliant package. I remember my interactions with the Citroen management and my only suggestion was to price it aggressively at least to begin with. That would help build the brand image for their future products. Its just overpriced for a 5 seater SUV.

There is absolutely nothing I dislike about the C5. Its built well, the engine is super refined and is beautifully combined with that 8 speed auto box, the suspension and ride quality beats higher end luxury cars too and the seats are super comfortable. Not to mention the NVH levels as well.

I would love to have one in my garage for the family. Hopefully a pre loved one down the road someday.

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th April 2022 at 17:37. Reason: Minor typo
Dippy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 15:22   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
- depth of engineering, driving experience, design, build quality & sweet ride quality were absolutely top class.

- main problems: lack of brand recognition, overpriced
Thank You GTO. Yes, all the positives that you have mentioned have made the car likeable, especially by connoisseurs. I hope the group doesn't remain stubborn about their approach and now focuses on top quality after sales, and remains a little patient in this market. Positive word of mouth around good after sales will spread and do Citroën a lot of good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Two gripes with the C5
1. A more comfortable and better designed rear seat.
2. Decent quality leather seats at that price point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
My father and brother who are well built with wide body frame, found it quite uncomfortable in the short drive. The wife and I who are more on the leaner side found it awkward in the short drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingCanvas View Post
By trying to provide 3 individual seats and enhancing the middle passenger, they have managed to worsen the seating of all 3 rear passengers.

- an option to slide the rear seats a bit more would have been appreciated too. All that boot space wouldn't be used for every drive and could instead improve the legspace significantly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forty6 View Post
I am sorry no one would want to sit in the back; there is no way 3 normal sized Indians can sit here
Thank You Axe77, SR-71, FloatingCanvas, forty6 for your candid views. Yes, the rear seats could have been much better. Look at the images below and you'll see that

1. the seat back hasn't been appropriately designed for comfort. It is flat, like what I've seen in a Maruti Versa, and should have been designed exactly like the front seats
2. the center seat, although "separate" doesn't offer the comfort it is supposed to as a separate unit. It also looks a little narrower than the left and right ones

I sat in the front seat for approx 25 mins and in the rear for approx 10; and wanted to get back to front ASAP.

Citroën C5 Aircross | The car that blew me away-aircross_boot.jpg

Citroën C5 Aircross | The car that blew me away-aircross_2ndrow_seatback.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
any discounts offered to your friend for C5?
Thank You Maky. He got the following:
1. ₹1,00,000 off on the final price
2. after a lot of deliberation, the insurance premium was reduced by approx.₹38,000.
3. Freebies was just a set of mats
4. No labour charges for services upto 20,000km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistOfFate! View Post
It rather intrigues me that the car we (in this case a friend) usually end up buying is seldom in the initial models that we shortlisted. It is more-often-than-not a surprise entry, which actually makes the final cut. Interesting purchase patterns and automobile enthusiast psychology
Thank You TwistOfFate, and rightly said. In my history of buying cars for myself, I've always fixed my target eg. Corolla and then evaluated examples to get the right example. In my friend's case, knowing him as widely fluctuating from one end of the spectrum(S-Cross), to the other end (BMW X3), I decided to let psychology take its course. He got just what he wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
- ride quality beats higher end luxury cars too
- hopefully a pre loved one down the road someday.
Thank You Dippy. The reason I mentioned the Audi A8L in my closing post was to draw a parallel with the richness on offer in the driver area in the C5. I was so impressed.

Last edited by vigsom : 15th April 2022 at 15:45. Reason: two more quotes
vigsom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 23:55   #24
BHPian

Congratulations on your new purchase. I am one of the few voters who wanted Citroen aircross to win TBhp car of the year. I haven't driven it but it looks solid and shows quality at every corner.

Wish you many happy miles ahead.
livetodrive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 12:31   #25
BHPian

Keep a budget of 35-50 Lakhs and get around shopping for the car we would find Citroen is priced off mark by only a lakh or two. The question is the lack of service infrastructure. If Citroen can provide what they promise in the way of service we can ignore that couple of lakhs and go ahead with the purchase if pockets permit. I have mentioned elsewhere in the forum the ride quality and ease of driving is really superb.
aadya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 13:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The main problems with the car are the lack of brand recognition and the fact that Citroen overpriced it. The French just don't understand India. If I was the CEO of Citroen India, I'd have sold the C5 Aircross at a mouthwatering price...even if I was losing 5 - 7 lakhs per car.
And promptly have the Government shut down the company for violation of WTO anti dumping regulations! There is a reason why companies hire lawyers.
himanshugoswami is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 15:10   #27
BHPian

Wonderful write up vigsom. The vehicle continues put a smile on me even after the initial euphoria of new vehicle has subsided. Please share my best wishes with your friend.

I can see the 3-seat configuration brings out some strong opinions, on this thread and elsewhere. Honestly, I'd say - to each their own. I personally like the 3-seat option more. I use child car seat which forces middle-seat person to sit in an uncomfortable position in regular setup. The 3-set option actually makes the middle seat person so so much more comfortable.

I personally feel this vehicle was not exactly launched 'for' Indian market. It's purpose was to build some brand presence and to get the manufacturing units a simpler kick off with CKD assembly. It's like a rock concert - C5 is the opening band, the main act is C3
the.city is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 12:06   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
How I met the C5 Aircross

Wipers with wash nozzle hoses? Not sure.
Attachment 2296540
Awesome review "vigsom"... you've improved upon all the other reviews about the C5 Aircross, kudos to you for the superb details.

As you requested more details on the wiper setup, attaching a couple of pics for clarity... the wiper washer spray is incorporated in the wiper blades and they work very well. Auto-rain sensing wiper feature is available with this car.

Citroën C5 Aircross | The car that blew me away-img_9348.jpg

Citroën C5 Aircross | The car that blew me away-img_9346.jpg
streetfighter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 12:38   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.city View Post
It's like a rock concert - C5 is the opening band, the main act is C3
Being an avid old school rocker, I love the rock concert analogy though usually in concerts the main act is way better than the opening act. Not quiet the case with the C3 and C5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Keep a budget of 35-50 Lakhs and get around shopping for the car we would find Citroen is priced off mark by only a lakh or two. The question is the lack of service infrastructure. If Citroen can provide what they promise in the way of service we can ignore that couple of lakhs and go ahead with the purchase if pockets permit. I have mentioned elsewhere in the forum the ride quality and ease of driving is really superb.
I have had the C5 for 6 months now, and though I know its too early to conclude but if their proactive reach outs so far are anything to go by, I do not see any challenges to Citroen owners in the long term, at least in the major cities where they have a footprint.

Last edited by Sheel : 16th May 2022 at 13:09. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
Frusciante is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 11:30   #30
BHPian

Best wishes on a the Aircross! Can you also please comment on the fuel economy in stop-start type city conditions? Autocar India pegs the figure at around 10.3 kmpl but there are no other places to compare stats. Thank you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks