Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2022, 19:00   #16
BHPian

re: Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4

Congratulations on the new car!

When this car was launched, I was absolutely blown away by the plum coloured interiors and the huge road presence. For the first time, I had felt that the Indian market finally has a credible Innova rival.
The equipment list, looks and the fact that it came with 4x4 made it one of the most unique MPVs India ever got. This car, especially with 4X4 is very rare, and will surely be sought after, even in the future. Wishing you many happy miles with it!

I still remember this ad:

I have the exact same car, but a scale model:

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-a2d4d4b517574c10affa45c169dbb85d.jpeg

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-1c16217bce95439a8aa2efa7140e7252.jpeg

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-45020cdc93724a6c9e11bca9eb8df1ee.jpeg
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 19:19   #17
BHPian

re: Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post

As far as the pricing in concerned, let's just say that I'll be paying close to 3 Lakhs with the acquisition, purchasing accessories and spares which needed to be changed/installed and finally transfer of ownership etc.
I must say, you are getting a good deal with this price. Even though Odo readings are high, i do not have any doubt on vehicle capabilities. I foresee some financial burden going forwards specially the replacement of timing drive components (Belt, idlers, Tensioners etc.) unless the previous owner had replaced the same already (The changing interval was not very high IIRC).

But even though you spent the amount on these mandatory changes, i must say the vehicle is still a great deal considering the capability of the vehicle to take abuse.
UD17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 21:02   #18
BHPian

Re: Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4

It is very sad to know that you let your Triber go after all the amazing videos that you made with it. However, congratulations on the Aria which was one of the very few cars that did not suffer from the regular niggles and issues that Tata cars are infamous for. I hope that you kept all your car camping accessories and modifications from the Triber. Wish you an awesome experience with the Stark girl
Chhanda Das is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 21:03   #19
BHPian

Quote:

Finally, after a lot of search and bargaining, was able to find a decent 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4 in Sardinia Red from Chandigarh Tricity region, and purchased it at a good price, with almost 1.14K kilometres on the odometer.
Funny coincidence, and what a small world! The moment I saw your post, I remembered a similar car that was owned by someone I knew long ago.

Went back to my old pictures archives, and it turns out to be the same car! It belonged to a dentist I knew who happened to move abroad.

Sharing a picture of your car from the archives. Wish you many more safe miles with the new purchase.
Attached Thumbnails
Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20150427_131011.jpg  

sugam is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 22:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhanda Das View Post
It is very sad to know that you let your Triber go after all the amazing videos that you made with it. However, congratulations on the Aria which was one of the very few cars that did not suffer from the regular niggles and issues that Tata cars are infamous for. I hope that you kept all your car camping accessories and modifications from the Triber. Wish you an awesome experience with the Stark girl
Yes, I have kept everything not specific to Triber with me, and will be using them for my overlanding trips in the Aria now. I'm glad that you loved those videos, and remember me for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugam View Post
Funny coincidence, and what a small world! The moment I saw your post, I remembered a similar car that was owned by someone I knew long ago.

Went back to my old pictures archives, and it turns out to be the same car! It belonged to a dentist I knew who happened to move abroad.

Sharing a picture of your car from the archives. Wish you many more safe miles with the new purchase.
Yes, it is indeed that same car. When was this pic taken, if you have any timeline? I'll be sending you a DM

I'm glad that you knew the previous owner
AdityaDeane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 15:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An update on the tyres, just received my set of 4 Ultramile UM Bull A/T 4x4 tires from Amazon.in

The outside lettering is in Blueish White, and the size is the correct size ordered, that is 235/65R17

Will get them installed in a few days in Ludhiana.

Niggle Update:-

The Brake Fluid Low warning has come up again, and this is despite chaging the brake disc pads just 2 weeks ago. My FNG is closed for a few days, will get it checked before leaving for Ludhiana, probably around this weekend.
Update on these:-

1. Got the tyres installed yesterday late evening, due to late night by the time I came back home, have been able to click only a single tyre pic to show to everyone on the thread.

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20220907_130524.jpg

This is how the new shoe looks on Saffira.

2. Brake Fluid Low warning ->

Had actually gone to get the brake fluid topped up, as we are leaving for a long drive tomorrow morning. It indeed was low, and was topped up using a Dot-4 liquid. The warning isn't showing up after topping up the fluid.

While we were there I decided to get the tyres changed too, and get the Wheels balanced also, as there was wobbling while driving over 40Km/Hr. The new set of shoes were already stacked in the enormous boot with the 3rd row folded down.

Took this time to also get the wheels changed and then alloys balanced, and they required a lot of weight!

Front Left wheel 25gms
Front Right wheel 50+75+25gms
Rear Right wheel 45gms
Rear Left wheel 70+15gms

Paid a total of 1525 just to get the alloys balanced!

While the alloys were removed to change the tyres, noticed that the Rear Left Alloy had deep scratches on the inside

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20220906_191313.jpg

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20220906_191256.jpg

Looks like some big stone or metal piece got stuck between the alloy rim and the axle and went spinning for quite a lot of kilometres, before it was taken out eventually after all the destruction. I couldn't have noticed this while doing my PDI, and now have to live with this damage. The alloy costs between 10K - 12K on different websites, and I'm not ready for such an investment for now.

So, my work around solution is to get the Spare Tyre Alloy Wheel out in Ludhiana, and if that is in a better shape, then change the tyres on both the rims and use the current Left Rear Rim in the spare wheel, while the current rim of the alloy wheel can be fitted on the Rear Left side and used.

Love the ride quality and grip in the new tyres. Let's see how hard and noisy they get after the first winters are over!

Yet to top up the coolant!
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 09:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

So, was able to come and get a few works done in Ludhiana in the last 2 days, and this is how she looks now:

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20220910_1817532.jpg

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20220910_181720.jpg

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20220910_1819212.jpg

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20220910_182559.jpg

The 3M guy at Northern Hyundai did a splendid job of bringing a shine out of the old car's paint without painting even a single panel. Hats Off to his efforts...

Finally did not change the Alloy Wheel, but I'm using it as is until some problem crops up. There was some loss of tyre pressure in that tyre, but a puncture was not visible.

There was a broken rod in the rear right suspension, which was welded and repaired. The brakes were tightened and the interiors were all cleaned and polished. The lights were also cleaned and levelling was done.
AdityaDeane is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 10:33   #23
BHPian

Quote:
There was a broken rod in the rear right suspension, which was welded and repaired.
Do you have any photos of this rod? Also after watching your videos found that the vehicle was pitching more than normal, did you get the dampers checked?
damodar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 12:57   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Took this time to also get the wheels changed and then alloys balanced, and they required a lot of weight!

Front Left wheel 25gms
Front Right wheel 50+75+25gms
Rear Right wheel 45gms
Rear Left wheel 70+15gms

Paid a total of 1525 just to get the alloys balanced!
Considering these are new tyres , i suggest you balance them elsewhere after 5K kms, ideally they should not need this much weight for balancing. Sometimes they just need to remount the tyre and use less weight.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 09:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

Update:

1. Since after the tyre change, the mileage has improved and I am now getting double digits, really happy. The grip levels are good, and not much tyre noise in comparison to the previous tyres that were installed when I bought it.

2. I was able to sell my Maruti Suzuki A-Star last week at a slight minimal profit over what I bought it for and invested in it, including Transfer of Ownership, Accessories, cost of NOC etc. Really happy with the deal!

3. My Saffira became a Himachali yesterday, as I received my NOC early this week, and was able to get the Ownership changed to my name and get a local Manali RTO number in my car. Not hurrying to get the HSRP installed, will just get a regular Number Plate installed for now, due to the uncertainty of FasTag v/s ANPR system by the MoRTH! Major hurdle is now crossed, just waiting to get the owner name and number changed in the Insurance and FasTag also now.

4. Have starting working upon ideas to use it for weekend campings, will make videos of the conversion and put up in a few days as things progress. The first modification has been for taking/placing Cutlery in one of the roof boxes, in such a way that there is no rattle. Another one planned is shifting the Medicine Cabinet also to these boxes, so that they are easily accessible in case of any injury while camping. Another idea is for a Fire Starter Kit box. Looking for more ideas and must haves for camping purposes.

5. The "Brake Fluid Low" warning was coming on again and again due to a leak in the Rear Right Brake Line, which was changed at Northern Hyundai, Ludhiana during my recent visit.

6. The AC Belt was changed during my Ludhiana visit, and since after coming back from there, there is some strange loud obvious noise from the Belt Tensioners, need to get it done at my FNG.

7. There has been some water leak in the Left Passenger Footwell region after heavy rains or pressure wash, which has not been resolved till now. Will get that checked too when I visit for the tensioner.
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 14:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Had an amazing driving experience in the rain, slush and rocks on the Halaan II road on Saturday afternoon with family. Went till about 1-2 Kilometres ahead of even Halaan II hairpin bends, through water, mud, slush and rocks and gravel. The 4x4 worked well, but finally I gave up fearing to reach a place without habitation and no one to help in case anything does go wrong. The UM 4x4 AT Bull tyres are really giving me good grip and traction, except in steep inclines in reverse, but that maybe due to clutch needing a replacement some time soon. Let's see...

Do not have a video footage or pics from the drive, but a few pics from my visit to the same place on Wednesday are attached below:

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20220921_092950.jpg

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20220921_092224.jpg

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20220921_092357.jpg

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20220921_165225.jpg

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20220924_162445.jpg

It was lovely to see the Apple trees and orchards on the top there (pic from my actual drive day)
AdityaDeane is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 14:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

Got a chance to drive with a full house to Kaza this weekend. It was fun and a really amazing drive. We were 6 adults and 2 kids in the car, and I had countless underbody hits due to the load and rough road and momentum I needed to carry up and down the hills.

I used the 4x4 mode exclusively during traversing between Gramphu (Lahaul) and Takcha (Spiti) as it is all off roading, and the car didn't leave me stranded anywhere, be it water crossings, or stony off road sections.

Few people got motion sickness also, but we all survived and enjoyed every moment of the drive.

I did loose a few things from my car on the way:

1. Rear Tow Hook Cover

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20221002_1621122.jpg

2. The mounts for my Touchscreen broke, and it came off midway between Manali to Kaza

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20221002_162158.jpg

By the way, Saffira is now a Himachali, and I am in love with the car. A few moments of the trip have been summarised in the following video, I hope you all like it:

P.S. - The noise upon starting the engine was from the Steering mechanism, somehow the Steering Fluid was finished and the pump was making that strange loud noise, especially when trying to turn the steering. The problem was fixed by filling the reservoir with some Transaxle Fluid or something similar from the nearby Petrol Pump, by my trusted elder brother, who is the G.M. of Northern Hyundai in Ludhiana, and was in the 2nd car during this Kaza trip.
Old 18th October 2022, 17:01   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hello friends, need advice:-

So, this Sunday afternoon I installed my 70MAI A500S Pro Plus Dual Dash cam. It is not hardwired, but just using the provided 12V adapter and original cables from 70MAI while fitting the dash cam.

Incidentally, I left the car in Accessory Mode while fitting the camera. It would have taken me about half an hour or so, for the entire process. The dash cam is working well, I have even configured the ADAS function now, and it works as intended.

The problem came when I tried to restart the car after installation. The car cranks, but does not start.

1. I tried both the keys, tried to wait for short and long duration in order to crank up the engine, but that also didn't help.

2. Even tried to connect the battery with another car and crank, but still nothing.

3. The battery voltage was showing between 12-12.3V through OBD2 Port connected to my Android mobile, via Bluetooth.

4. Finally tried to check for all the fuses present below the Steering, and also disconnected and reconnected the Fuse and Relays present on the Right side of the Battery.

After all of this, finally the car started. Now the MID is showing 2 errors, "Restricted Performance" and "Engine System Fault". Also, the "Check Engine Light" has come on.

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img20221016wa0004.jpeg

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img20221016wa0002.jpeg

Since after all this, the car is running fine. Tried driving up to 90Km/Hr also, but no restriction in performance was noticed. I tried to go and get the car checked for any ERROR, which needs to be cleared, but the local car electricians were not available on Sunday to check that. After that I nicely did a round trip to Kullu and came back, without any problems. Even had a chance to engage 4x4, which is working as expected.

Yesterday, BHP-ian anuragisaacrout and I tried to remove the positive terminal of the car battery to reset the CEL, but we were unable to do it on our own. The car is running without any problems, but these errors are not stopping.

Need advice from Tata Aria experts, as to what should be my next course of action. Should I just get the code cleared by a local electrician, or should I investigate the matter further and get it rectified? Awaiting some suitable responses to proceed.
Old 22nd October 2022, 13:22   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did loose a few things from my car on the way:

1. Rear Tow Hook Cover

Attachment 2364709
So, as a solution, I ordered a Tow Ball Cover from Boodmo.com (product link: https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-tow_...mper-33018230/) for Rs.69 + shipping, fits perfectly! But, the color was Black, and that would have looked out of place, by the way it still does even after my hack/jugaad , so I got some 3M Reflective Sticker and covered the new part and fit it into place. This is how it looks now, a little too bright, but safe for Foggy conditions in the approaching winters.

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20221022_1223072.jpg

Close up view

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-img_20221022_122316.jpg

Bought a new Wiper Blade for the rear as well, the glass clean is much better than the previous wiper blade.

Have ordered the Rear Left side Reflex Reflector also, will receive it today and change it over the weekend.

Last edited by AdityaDeane : 22nd October 2022 at 13:24.
AdityaDeane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 20:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4-screenshot_20221211150746.png

Recently Saffira has been surprising me with her mileage! And this is despite my idling the car every 2-3 days for 5-10 minutes to keep the battery charged in the cold winters of Manali.

No new niggles to report, the Check Engine Light and Warnings are still present, but the car still did a trip from Manali to Solan and back to Manali last weekend without any problems or issues.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase. Next week we will be driving from Manali to Dehradun with 5 adults and 2 kids on board. Hoping for a trouble free ride.

By the way, my HSRPs have been fitted on the car, and I have successfully been able to install the Roof Carrier from my Triber on to the Aria. Getting all ready for the family drive coming up next week, where I will need to drive through Haryana and Uttarakhand to reach my hometown. Will keep you all updated with any developments as they happen.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks