Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2022, 19:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The unexpected purchase - My 2022 Hyundai Alcazar

Quote:
Originally Posted by saketsomani View Post
I had the same issue with my Tucson, you can disable the entry beep by holding down the lock and unlock button on your key for 5 seconds. The lights will flash and the beep is disabled.
Thanks man. It worked

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeneo View Post
first tankful gave me a range of 740km
The DTE seems a bit optimistic. If you fill tank-to-tank always. I would suggest setting the MID FE to reset on refuel and go by 40 times (MID FE - 3). This would give a realistic range without letting the fuel level too low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
Top end Signature (O) AT is costing 25L OTR approximately here in Hyderabad.
At 25L you are in Innova-Safari-Hector territory. By far the Platinum MT seems to get everything except those ventilated seats. The MT is surprisingly easy to drive due to the light clutch, if you are not strictly looking for an AT.

Quote:
Alcazar is easy to manoeuvre in city and fuel efficient too.
On wider roads you won't have any trouble.

It is situations like the one below which are a bit tricky.

The unexpected purchase - My 2022 Hyundai Alcazar-a_20221011161121.jpg

That dude is getting out of my way. The gap between the moped on the left and the second bike on right is not easy to judge. You cannot see the moped on the left as you are crossing

The unexpected purchase - My 2022 Hyundai Alcazar-a_20221011160946.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
The BS6 diesel part though - mind sharing a summary of your thought process in making your peace with the DPF and fuel quality risks?
Here is my thought process:
  • Inside my area, only the scooter is used. The car is taken out when we have go somewhere on GST Road or beyond.
  • I live close to SRM and commute odd times. I make sure I don't spend anything more than 1:20 hrs for this commute. On a given day I'll see decent 60-80 speeds for a good 10-15 minutes in sections.
  • Mall or cinema rides are also planned on the periphery, means either riding through Vandalur-Kelambakkam, Bypass or Outer Ring Road.
  • Every time the S-Cross was taken out, it clocked a minimum of 20-25 minimum without any effort.
  • We are highway junkies (this you already know). Would rather head out of town, than spend on overpriced popcorn. Works cheaper too. Even if above drives don't flush off soot, this would.
  • Fuel quality is one thing I would worry less. I am very picky on where I fuel. Inside the city, its always Ekayars BPCL and MM Nagar BPCL COCO and SP Koil IOC outside.
  • I used to try Shell premium once a while on the S-Cross. Not for the Alcazar, it will always be normal diesel. Thanks to Ashis post (BS6 Diesel Car owners - Your experience with DPF / SCR / AdBlue here) on the BS6 thread.
  • Pumps are pre-decided for highway drives, have partially planned for the Dec 2022 drive. In regularly driven highways, same pumps are repeated.
  • Regular maintenance are done on time, sometimes earlier if I foresee I would overshoot on a highway trip.
  • Rest is TIG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Didn't the Corolla automatic come with a 7 step CVT?
CVT was on the next generation Corolla launched in March 2011, if I remember correctly came with the 2TR-FE engine. The one I owned was March 2010 that had 1TR-FE and 4-speed torque converter.

Top of my mind, I had to replace one of the one of Bi-Xenons (forgot the cost), Brake caliper assembly (which was 30K odd). Towards the end of the ownership, I was gettin 5 kpl in city and 8 kpl in highway (was 9-11 in city and 14-15 in highway initially)

Last edited by narayans80 : 11th October 2022 at 19:17.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 19:31   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
At 25L you are in Innova-Safari-Hector territory. By far the Platinum MT seems to get everything except those ventilated seats. The MT is surprisingly easy to drive due to the light clutch, if you are not strictly looking for an AT.

On wider roads you won't have any trouble.

It is situations like the one below which are a bit tricky.
I am looking for AT only as my wife loves to drive too, and I do not really drive more than 7000 km annually. I am in a dilemma of 2.0 Petrol and 1.5 diesel . Price difference between Prestige(O) AT and Signature (O) AT is negligible. Alcazar infact has no considerable price difference between Petrol and diesel as engines differ in displacement.

360 camera and front parking sensors really help a lot while crossing such a narrow paths with obstructions. These features are missing in Innova, Safari and 7OO mid variants unfortunately. Hector is missing on D AT. Hyundai is too clever in targeting upper segment cars with a smaller engine, by loading it with what ever possible features.

Last edited by Hickstead : 11th October 2022 at 19:37. Reason: Corrections
Old 11th October 2022, 20:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
360 camera and front parking sensors really help a lot while crossing such a narrow paths with obstructions.
I found the 360 degree visuals a tad bit confusing on the Alcazar test drive. So you'll have to experience that yourselves to decide.

Quote:
I do not really drive more than 7000 km annually. I am in a dilemma of 2.0 Petrol and 1.5 diesel
BS6 diesel is separate topic in itself. They need some baby sitting by virtue of DPF regeneration (either by usage or manual) and fuel quality. Please read through Creta, Seltos, Carens and Alcazar threads, as they share the same diesel powertrain.

The petrol 2.0 saves you this headache, the powertrain is no scorcher though.
Old 11th October 2022, 22:30   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is my thought process:
  • Inside my area, only the scooter is used. The car is taken out when we have go somewhere on GST Road or beyond.
  • I live close to SRM and commute odd times. I make sure I don't spend anything more than 1:20 hrs for this commute. On a given day I'll see decent 60-80 speeds for a good 10-15 minutes in sections.
  • Mall or cinema rides are also planned on the periphery, means either riding through Vandalur-Kelambakkam, Bypass or Outer Ring Road.
  • Every time the S-Cross was taken out, it clocked a minimum of 20-25 minimum without any effort.
  • We are highway junkies (this you already know). Would rather head out of town, than spend on overpriced popcorn. Works cheaper too. Even if above drives don't flush off soot, this would.
  • Fuel quality is one thing I would worry less. I am very picky on where I fuel. Inside the city, its always Ekayars BPCL and MM Nagar BPCL COCO and SP Koil IOC outside.
  • I used to try Shell premium once a while on the S-Cross. Not for the Alcazar, it will always be normal diesel. Thanks to Ashis post (BS6 Diesel Car owners - Your experience with DPF / SCR / AdBlue here) on the BS6 thread.
  • Pumps are pre-decided for highway drives, have partially planned for the Dec 2022 drive. In regularly driven highways, same pumps are repeated.
  • Regular maintenance are done on time, sometimes earlier if I foresee I would overshoot on a highway trip.
  • Rest is TIG.
Thanks for sharing your thought process

Suffer me once more on this topic please - so, the average speed of your drives is high and your frequency of use is also high. I get that now.

Like yourself, I also prefer to leave the city on drives rather than wade into bumper-to-bumper traffic. But my frequency of use is quite low. My BS4 TUV 300 stands parked for an entire week and rolls its wheels only on weekends; i usually drive out on the highway on weekends. Once in 3 months, it takes us on 1000-1500 km trips.

Is this low frequency of use a problem for a potential BS6 car ownership in your view?
Old 12th October 2022, 09:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is this low frequency of use a problem for a potential BS6 car ownership in your view?
My view would be theoretical I've just lived with this car for 16 days and the longest downtime its seen is 36 hours. If you are looking for an opinion on Hyundai-Kia 1.5 powertrain, you may want to check Ashis' Seltos thread. He has owned the BS6 1.5 from late 2019 clocked 40K and has gone through the coronial idle-run-idle cycles
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 10:41   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Narayanan sir, many congratulations for your new ride! Wishing you loads of happy miles and memories with the Alcazar!

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your thought process

Suffer me once more on this topic please - so, the average speed of your drives is high and your frequency of use is also high. I get that now.

Like yourself, I also prefer to leave the city on drives rather than wade into bumper-to-bumper traffic. But my frequency of use is quite low. My BS4 TUV 300 stands parked for an entire week and rolls its wheels only on weekends; i usually drive out on the highway on weekends. Once in 3 months, it takes us on 1000-1500 km trips.

I can chime in and share few additional pointers from my experience so far with 48k kms on the Seltos.

- During Covid, the car has remained idle for weeks together. There are instances where I have done 100 or 200 kms in a month and nothing more.

- My car is my only mode of transport, unless I can walk to a place or take a cab. It goes everywhere.

- There's no escaping traffic in Bangalore. And I have driven a 100 kms in 5.5 hrs in Bangalore traffic in a single day. And on multiple occasions, I have driven 500+ kms in pure city traffic in a month's time, before I got a chance to step out onto a highway.

- My daily office commute is just 2 kms one way which I drive almost daily. (I know I can walk but have reasons not to)

- I do a 500 - 1500 km trip once in 2-3 months. The frequency was higher but has reduced in the past year

- I have refueled from all possible retailers (except Nayara) but stick to plain diesel only. Although I try to avoid, I have had to refuel in small bunks in remote areas across multiple states

- I love to drive with a heavy foot (both city and highway) but rarely cross the 120 kmph mark. This shows in the FE as well - I am averaging 16 kmpl over the 48k kms so far.

The mystery called BS6 and DPF was a concern for me too. But having lived with a BS6 for 3 years now and with the above usage pattern, I don't fret anymore.

Last edited by ashis89 : 12th October 2022 at 10:47.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 15:49   #22
BHPian

Quote:
360 camera and front parking sensors really help a lot while crossing such a narrow paths with obstructions.
Agree. I got Signature AT 1 year back. 360 parking helps a lot while parking in unregulated/bumpy spaces and also in aligning the vehicle well in normal parking spots. In fact the first drive out of showroom was to a nearby temple for puja. And parking outside the temple required me to handle few bushes on the rear, muddy puddles one side, few rocks on another side and some dogs at the front. This 360 view to the rescue
Old 1st November 2022, 20:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

October end update

The first 5 weeks of ownership saw the Alcazar clock 4670 kms. We had 2 highway drives planned in October, so this sort of mileage was expected.

The NVH has marginally increased since the initial days. It is still within acceptable levels.

The car saw the first triple digit on a trip to Mantralyam. The trip saw considerable percentage of 2-lane driving. Lot of spirited runs in the 80-100 kph region on the onward journey. No complaints on the power on tap for the speeds I was maintaining.

The trip also indicated how non-linear the fuel gauge was. The DTE and fuel gauge fall steeply once past the halfway mark. I had 380 km DTE on the onward when I crossed the COCO I had marked for refill, I ended up refilling after 230 km with 26 km to spare.

Maintaining a white car in monsoon months is a pain. This boy gets itself dirty in one drive to work. Makes it look like I've gone on some 4x4 excursion The biggest annoyance is still that damned reverse camera, which I have to clean after every drive.

The wake your neighbors keyless entry beep is resolved thanks to Saket here (The unexpected purchase - My 2022 Hyundai Alcazar).

The rear washer is activated by pushing the left stalk back. So that is resolved over the month.

The powertrain is most efficient, driven on the 60-70 kph ballpark. I've seen unreal numbers like the one below on my morning commute runs.

The unexpected purchase - My 2022 Hyundai Alcazar-img_2183.jpg

On highway runs where it predominantly, I see the MID show anywhere between 22 and 23 km/l. A tank-tank fill results in high 18s to low 20s. Roughly translates to a 5 Rs/km fuel cost.

The unexpected purchase - My 2022 Hyundai Alcazar-averageoctober2022.png

The outrageously misleading DTE. This was after driving 50 km after refueling. It showed 1042 km at the pump

The unexpected purchase - My 2022 Hyundai Alcazar-img_2152.jpg

Although the distance per refill chart has hit 800 couple of times. I am going to keep to the 650 km ballpark on future trips to avoid anxiety and hypermiling.

Name:  distanceperrefilloct2022.png
Views: 964
Size:  23.3 KB
narayans80 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 20:36   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Although the distance per refill chart has hit 800 couple of times. I am going to keep to the 650 km ballpark on future trips to avoid anxiety and hypermiling.
The DTE and fuel gauge are very non-linear towards the F end. It's not uncommon to see the gauge being stagnant for the first 200-300 kms after a full tank. Once it moves, it moves fast. That said, you can get a range of 700-800 kms consistently.

After auto-cut, you can fill another 10L+ of fuel easily until brim. If ever you need a safe usable range of ~1000 kms, this is the way to go.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 21:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
That said, you can get a range of 700-800 kms consistently.
Yes 700 km is easily doable. Although 800 is a bit cutthroat for autocut filling. I am COCO fuel obsessed and don't want to drive a diesel this dry.

I am used to S-Cross that had an accurate AFE and I was doing 850-900 km. This boy has quite a big MID error, which I've not gotten used to yet.

Quote:
After auto-cut, you can fill another 10L+ of fuel easily until brim.
That cut-throat refill I mentioned, took 43.3L to auto-cut. Presuming I had 2L left. The 50 liter tank takes 55L?
Old 1st November 2022, 21:20   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes 700 km is easily doable. Although 800 is a bit cutthroat for autocut filling. I am COCO fuel obsessed and don't want to drive a diesel this dry.
I get 650-700 range with DTE showing another 150-200 kms when I refuel. With your economical driving, 800 is very much possible. With few tankfuls, you will figure out your safe consistent range. Mine is 600 in city, 700 on highway with auto-cut filling and brisk driving.

Quote:
That cut-throat refill I mentioned, took 43.3L to auto-cut. Presuming I had 2L left. The 50 liter tank takes 55L?
Reserve comes when 5L is left. DTE shows 50-70 kms at that time.

I have gone till reserve 3-4 times till date. Only once, I went till a single digit DTE reading because of my own foolishness. That day the tankful till auto-cut took 50.67L diesel. This was a Reliance bunk near Gangavaram.

On occasions when I fill to the brim, it takes another 10L+. The official 50L tank can take 62-63L of diesel. Those extra 10+L gives 200km extra range. With some sedate driving, I have got 900-1100km+ range quite a few times.

Last edited by ashis89 : 1st November 2022 at 21:25.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 13:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

November 2022 update

Another month passes. Odo is currently at 7160 km.

Car has mostly been around town with the lone highway run last weekend that added about 600 km.

The head unit quirks have stabilized. The wireless disconnection seems to be area specific. Even bluetooth connection from TWS to phone disconnects around this 1/2 km stretch. There is only one annoyance for now, that is the head unit restart after I turn on ignition.

Being monsoon, car is as dirty as it can get. I just keep the windshields and reverse camera clean. All it takes is an insignificant 10 mm drizzle to dirty the car. No motivation to spend energy in doing a full cleaning till mid-December.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 00:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

6 month update

Car has completed 6 months with us on Sunday. Odo stood at 18280 at the half birthday mark averaging a touch over 100 km/day.

The unexpected purchase - My 2022 Hyundai Alcazar-dailymileage6months.jpg

The daily mileage is largely skewed towards 50-100 km. The highway mileage has made sure the average stayed close to 100, even though there were about 40 non-driving days. The longest being 1135 that involved Warangal to Shirdi drive via Hyderabad-Wardha-Samruddhi Mahamarg.

The unexpected purchase - My 2022 Hyundai Alcazar-img_2526.jpg

The car has been obsessively on BPCL and IOCL COCO diet, barring an one-off 500 Rs refill in an IOCL near Pandharkawada for safety sake (I did want to cover the entire Samruddhi run and return to Waluj COCO pump).

Had a sidewall cut on the drive to Vainu Bappu in February. Replaced the spare with Apollo Alnac that put me off by 7600. This was the only unplanned expense at this point.

The unexpected purchase - My 2022 Hyundai Alcazar-20230329_185608309_ios.png

At a 5 Rs/km fuel cost (which is 70-80 paise/km above the S-Cross) , I am not complaining with the additional practicality I get.

Signing off the 6 month update with a picture on the banks of Lake Ramappa from our year end trip.

The unexpected purchase - My 2022 Hyundai Alcazar-img_2507.jpg
narayans80 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 11:25   #29
BHPian

Quote:
6 month update

Car has completed 6 months with us on Sunday. Odo stood at 18280 at the half birthday mark averaging a touch over 100 km/day.
Wow ! It is amazing to see that you are driving as if there is no tomorrow .
Congratulations by the way. I own a Signature (O) D AT with odo at 3500.
Thanks for this thread as it will be useful as a good reference for the Alcazar owners. Happy driving !
Old 30th March 2023, 12:06   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Wishing you miles and miles of happy driving.

Quote:
Child lock uses a key. Not the button mechanism I've seen on my previous cars.

Child lock on the rear door[/center]
This is the lock alarm actuator switch. The child lock would be in the gate and not on the body.

The unexpected purchase - My 2022 Hyundai Alcazar-img_20230330_120238.jpg
Child lock would look something like this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks