Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2023, 19:27   #16
BHPian

Re: How not to buy a car! Booked Glanza AMT, took home Nexon AMT w/o test driving | Ownership Review

Congratulations and man, you are good at writing!!! Good Luck with your car
Randamoozham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 13:36   #17
BHPian

Re: How not to buy a car! Booked Glanza AMT, took home Nexon AMT w/o test driving | Ownership Review

Congratulations on being happy with your new car, which is very important. Nice detailed ownership review.

Love the color, had no idea nexon was offered with this shade of blue. I have never seen this color on b'lore roads.

If possible, can you elaborate on the Jump you mention in B2B traffic? While in sports mode, you don't get that jump? How do you manage this?

While you are moving from standstill, does sudden acceleration in sports mode cause lag?
Also, last question. How do you feel about the suspension set up on bad city roads?

Maybe another question, sorry! Given a chance today would you opt for lets say Brezza with TC, Venue with IMT or DCT, or would you still go for Nexon AMT.
Old 3rd January 2023, 15:42   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_9 View Post

If possible, can you elaborate on the Jump you mention in B2B traffic? While in sports mode, you don't get that jump? How do you manage this?
Thanks! Answering the questions in that order:

In AMT its all about automated clutch release timing i guess, In Eco and City mode clutch release is slow in comparison to sport mode and since A pedal is constantly pressed even when clutch is engaged the upshift feels jerky.

I have observed mostly in city mode that too once got adapted to AMT driving style don't bother anymore. Sport mode requires you to be cautious in traffic (light footed), may be due to that I never felt any jump. You will notice slight jump while reversing also which may get tricky.

Quote:
While you are moving from standstill, does sudden acceleration in sports mode cause lag? Also, last question. How do you feel about the suspension set up on bad city roads?
In sports mode there is no lag or visible AMT issues at least I didn't face one. But you will feel whenever gears will change. It feels just like a manual car being driven by a pro driver.
Suspension is typical TATA and inherited from there big cars, tuned for more stability and controlled body roll. The setup is not plush as Breeza but does the job well, at low speeds one can feel road undulations inside but beyond 40 KMPH it just glides.

Quote:
Maybe another question, sorry! Given a chance today would you opt for lets say Brezza with TC, Venue with IMT or DCT, or would you still go for Nexon AMT.
I think I'll go for Nexon AMT even with more confidence now due to the sheer practicality on offer, Harman music system and driving pleasure in sport mode, one can easily adapt to it.

The new Breeza is great for fuel efficiency but clearly can't be enjoyed as a spirited performer, braking and music system on offer are also not the best in class.

I just don't like the new venue, further IMT by no means a fast box coupled with NA engine.
Sonet is a great package, but DCT is strictly no no for me! It's a complex setup and prone to failure especially in our hot and dusty conditions (track record says). People have also been reporting inconsistent performance and jerks in B2B traffic conditions.

Hope my answers help!
FlankerH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 18:00   #19
BHPian

Any particular reason why you didn't checked out and TD the Jazz CVT?
Old 3rd January 2023, 18:30   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlankerH View Post
Thanks! Answering the questions in that order:

In AMT its all about automated clutch release timing i guess, In Eco and City mode clutch release is slow in comparison to sport mode and since A pedal is constantly pressed even when clutch is engaged the upshift feels jerky.

I have observed mostly in city mode that too once got adapted to AMT driving style don't bother anymore. Sport mode requires you to be cautious in traffic (light footed), may be due to that I never felt any jump. You will notice slight jump while reversing also which may get tricky.

In sports mode there is no lag or visible AMT issues at least I didn't face one. But you will feel whenever gears will change. It feels just like a manual car being driven by a pro driver.
Suspension is typical TATA and inherited from there big cars, tuned for more stability and controlled body roll. The setup is not plush as Breeza but does the job well, at low speeds one can feel road undulations inside but beyond 40 KMPH it just glides.

I think I'll go for Nexon AMT even with more confidence now due to the sheer practicality on offer, Harman music system and driving pleasure in sport mode, one can easily adapt to it.

The new Breeza is great for fuel efficiency but clearly can't be enjoyed as a spirited performer, braking and music system on offer are also not the best in class.

I just don't like the new venue, further IMT by no means a fast box coupled with NA engine.
Sonet is a great package, but DCT is strictly no no for me! It's a complex setup and prone to failure especially in our hot and dusty conditions (track record says). People have also been reporting inconsistent performance and jerks in B2B traffic conditions.

Hope my answers help!
Thanks for your detailed response. I am very curious about AMT technology and how it is going to evolve in the future. The marelli group which pre-dominatly supplies these AMT's have forecasted very high penetration of AMT in Indian market. They are ramping up their production and manufacturing in India. Also, they are going to be seen in different segments of cars, maybe the new Baleno points us towards that direction. (Or maybe just the cars in the lower bracket might see more AMT sales than MT in the future , due to traffic congestions and fuel efficiency concerns)

I agree the new Brezza is just so underwhelming. The engine just doesn't have life, interiors are so ordinary for the price. Maruti's reliability with their 4 cylinder NA engine is pushing their sales.

With regards to DCT and reliability , that's a very interesting topic. Have a Vento at home with the dsg gearbox(DQ 200) close to 87k and still kicking, but i must admit everytime we feel something is off we get worried if it is the gearbox. Pretty expensive to replace. We also drive it with certain cautions in B2B traffic and i think it helps.

Wishing you lot of miles with your Nexon!
NJ_9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 21:35   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvikjana83 View Post
Any particular reason why you didn't checked out and TD the Jazz CVT?
Just like that. I enquired about Jazz and found it less spacious then Amaze but priced on a higher side despite sharing a lot of components including engine and gearbox.
Old 3rd January 2023, 22:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the Nexon AMT.

Your post somewhat remindes me when I purchased Tigor AMT back in 2017. Yes, the Tigor used to come with Sport (and City) modes at that time, which they have for some reason removed from subsequent iterations.

Even in the Tigor, the AMT in Sport mode is way more easy to live with compared to the lethargic City mode. Infact in Sport mode one does not feel any power deficit atleast within city speeds, and I am talking about the 1.2 NA engine, so I can imagine the Nexon with the Turbo charger would be quite fun to drive.

As to the debates on AMT, well, I would say one gets used to the driving characteristics of AMT very quickly. And after a time, one doesn't feel head nods or peaky/jerky engine response bothersome. The AMT does what it aims to: provide the left limbs rest, just like any other AT.

Ofcourse, comparing AMT to conventional AT or CVT is futile.

EDIT: The Sport mode also has much better engine braking, since the car holds on to lower gears at higher RPMs.

Last edited by DCEite : 3rd January 2023 at 22:18.
DCEite is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 04:23   #23
BHPian

Quote:
This the best explanation for jerky shifts in AMT I have ever read.

So in cars without "modes" how the A pedal should be handled to minimize the jerks?
Sumedik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 12:22   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumedik View Post
This the best explanation for jerky shifts in AMT I have ever read.

So in cars without "modes" how the A pedal should be handled to minimize the jerks?
Accelerate gradually and once you are comfortable with car's behavior start timing A pedal. Release accelerator the moment you feel rpm is good enough and car will shift. But unfortunately there is no remedy for momentry powerlags

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks