Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2007, 15:12   #16
VBV
BHPian

One more thing:

Try to go for a TD with all kind of turns. my first TD of SX4 was a short one I went around Lavelle road in Bangalore. It so happened I had turned left throughout. Now that eclipsed the right side blind spot during TD.

A few things I try:
- Go at higher speeds and quickly turn the steering back and forth; and observe the response time for wheels.
- Take a longish curve and see if you need to correct the steering after the initial turn. It will tell you whether it has a oversteer or an understeer.
- Try the ergonomics test:
5tests-web
Old 25th July 2007, 15:22   #17
BHPian

I think, few other things to check:

1. Sit in the rear-seat & ask someone else to drive the car. Experience the rear seat feeling, just for the sake of your family members.

2. Check how easy is it to get-in & get-out of the car, both from driver seat & from rear-seat.

3. With the driver seat adjusted to your comfortable driving position, check the leg room at the rear. This is very important, as otherwise, you will hear the backseat people asking you "to move little forward". This will definitely affect your driving comfort.
Old 25th July 2007, 15:26   #18
rks
BANNED

I agree, tyre pressures should be set 1-2 psi higher when tyres are hot. What I am concerned about is that the dealer may have neglected tyre pressures altogether and may not have checked for a long time. So it would be wise to take the pains to check tyre pressures before test-driving.
Old 25th July 2007, 16:06   #19
Team-BHP Support

Check air in the tyres during a test drive.
Old 25th July 2007, 16:14   #20
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Check air in the tyres during a test drive.
If you are going to do some of the things listed like throwing the car into corners, check the ride on bad roads, check the steering/handling at high speeds and so on, tyre pressures should be correctly set; otherwise you may get a wrong impression.
Old 5th August 2007, 10:28   #21
BHPian

Another thing that people may like to do is to schedule test drives of several cars on the same day. I know that this may mean that the test drives become a full day phenomena but if you have decided on your cars well and have short listed say 3-4 cars that you might want to test it is best to go in for the test drive on the same day. It will allow you to better compare the cars. Comparing something that you have test driven today with something that you test drove a week ago may not produce accurate results. "Telescoping effect" in the management jargon.
Old 5th August 2007, 11:10   #22
BHPian

Wow! two things i posted (repititive) but none of them show! I wonder why..

Note from Mod : Please do take the time to read the announcements section. Especially the rules. Also your answer is in this thread

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th August 2007 at 11:45.
Old 5th August 2007, 21:05   #23
BHPian

Superb thread, I wish this was there around when I made my choice about a month and half back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Is it possible that the dealers tune the demo cars for maximum performance caring very little about the fuel efficiency ? This way the car "seems" pwerful and responsive during the TD at the cost of FE and the driver is impressed.

I dont know if this happens but I might be tempted to do this if I am the dealer . If it does happen, any way that this can be detected during TD ?
Telling you from my own experience. I bought the AVEO UVA in June 07. The TD car had a butter smooth gear shift. But in the one I own, the gear shift is notchy.

When I posed this Q to fellow Tbhp-ians, they said, there are 2 reasons possible:
1. Since, the TD vehicle had clocked over 6K kms, and so the shift became smoother over use

2. My car has clocked only 500km and after the service it'll smoothen out.

Not sure whats the actual reason though!

- EMD
Old 6th August 2007, 18:46   #24
BHPian

@MODS: Why not park this thread? Or are you planning to come up with article clubbing all replies?

While I was newbie to TDs, I really felt such tips would help me make my search better.
Old 7th August 2007, 14:46   #25
BANNED

LHD Controls VS RHD Controls:

Cars from Ford, GM have indicators on left hand side. But cars from Maruti, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai have it on right hand side. Adjust from one to another takes very little time. While TDing, be aware of this. Dont reject the car based on this criteria alone.
Old 8th August 2007, 04:03   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
@MODS: Why not park this thread? Or are you planning to come up with article clubbing all replies?

While I was newbie to TDs, I really felt such tips would help me make my search better.
Great thread sathya_nars,

I have parked it. If we do decide to compile either an article or a template using this information we will replace this with that when the time comes, and give all the contributors due credit.

Thanks,
R
Old 14th August 2007, 22:21   #27
BHPian

I think that's a good point - sometimes, the test drive cars may deceive or may not reflect the true good potential. When I got a toyota corolla for test drive, the car they brought first was so lousy - hard cluch, rumbling brake, etc..- when I gave my dissatisfaction, he brought a brand new car the next day, that was far better...In case of SX4, the test drive car had hard gear shifts & poor stereo - but the new one that I bought, both were quite good..l guess test drive plus some judgement helps....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatMyDust View Post

Telling you from my own experience. I bought the AVEO UVA in June 07. The TD car had a butter smooth gear shift. But in the one I own, the gear shift is notchy.

- EMD
Old 23rd August 2007, 22:29   #28
BHPian

here's a queer query that might look out of place, yet i place it here.

i wonder how everyone here keeps test driving every new model all the time.

supposing there are dealers of 5 different manufacturers in the city, you can go for test drive visits only ONCE to each of these showrooms.

the second time you visit the same showroom to test drive a model just introduced, and you are obviously unwelcome there. how can one justify test-driving every new entrant without the intention of buying it unless you're close to the manager or someone like that?

well???
Old 24th August 2007, 10:38   #29
BHPian

You can say that you are yet to check various controls of car and previous test drive didn't allow you to do that since that was very short trip.

I TDd many cars many times with same dealer, he never questioned me.

BTW, you can't decide just with one time TD whether to buy it or not, so even if they decline to TD many times (they won't do it anyway), go to other dealers and try out.

End of the day, you should be convinced enough to buy it or not, forwhich you have to TD many times.
Old 24th August 2007, 11:40   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
I TDd many cars many times with same dealer, he never questioned me.
Thats not the case everytime.

Am 20 year old, and still in college. Some showroom guys dont seem to appreciate the fact that college kids are walking around for TDs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks