Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2023, 14:26   #16
BHPian

Re: The beater car culture in India | Bought a 13-year old Maruti A-Star for 1.8 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shresan23 View Post
This is what i was contemplating. Maruti should renew this model. Take this Engine, refine it, add some zazzy body lines, some more black and red and slap a turbocharger in there
The A-Star that Maruti had showcased at some auto expos prior to its launch, was quite a looker. A few might remember those images. One wouldn't expect all the design features of a pre-production version. But, the production car was such a disappointment compared to the ones they had displayed before launch.

Last edited by crdi : 9th September 2023 at 14:33.
crdi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 03:42   #17
BHPian

Re: The beater car culture in India | Bought a 13-year old Maruti A-Star for 1.8 lakhs

Coincidentally, I ended up doing the same thing in Sydney. Have a Commodore SS manual, which gives around 5-6km/l. Wanted something I could use daily and park even more easily. Got a 2010 A-Star(auto) in July, which was sold here as the Suzuki Alto.
The beater car culture in India | Bought a 13-year old Maruti A-Star for 1.8 lakhs-img_1474.jpg
Just had to rebadge it because there is no place like home.
Gives a solid 14-15km/l.

Last edited by BraveArc : 10th September 2023 at 03:43.
BraveArc is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 12:09   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shresan23 View Post
*SNIP*In short, this is the background. *SNIP*
You have a way with words. I enjoyed the little bits of humorous similes interspersed within, thank you.

Owning/Driving your first car all by yourself is indeed an experience I wish I could have again. You seem to be a "driver" - I like "drivers" and wish you many many happy years of driving.

Cheers and good luck
tilt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 12:18   #19

Firstly, Congratulations on you ride!

The first car that you learn to drive will always be a special one even though it's a beater car. It will be the most fun to drive car you will ever have!

About four years back I found myself in the same situation (my dad was and is strictly against bikes. I got a mouthful for even getting a two wheeler license) and the difference is we already had a beater car in the form of a Santro Zip Plus 2002. Now the car is only two years younger to me so I've literally gone from nappy pads to driving the car and grown up with the car so have a lot of memories to associate with it.

I just love the rawness of the car without ABS, No Traction Control, No power steering, No power windows and it even came with a cassette player. Gave me a good mileage of 15-16 kmpl with bumper to bumper traffic, pocket friendly for a college going student!

Now the only problem with the car was it wouldn't start after you drive it for a couple of hours, the starter coil had some problem with it and never got fixed even after replacing everything inside the coil. There have been many instances where the car would stop in the middle of the road and mostly my co passengers (Friends mostly) who didn't know how to drive had to push the car for a hard start in the second gear, Oh lord! remembering that makes me laugh.
Now the car's with my uncle still fit and running even after 20 years, not driven as much but still driven.

Fast forward 2023 we have a Honda City that we got in 2009 as a beater that me and my brother who is as old as the santro use after we got the carnival.

Enjoy every bit of the beater car that you have you will never drive a car like that again in your life. I swear

Last edited by Vsh06 : 10th September 2023 at 12:24. Reason: Smiley
Vsh06 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 05:22   #20

Just couldn’t resist so here my A-Star story.

1. We needed a beater car desperately for wife who just was not learning or liking driving an endeavour.
2. I was not comfortable taking out the monster for small distancees due to traffic, parking etc of course.
3. Wife won’t settle for anything less than an automatic, cute and small & I will settle only if it’s a Non-AMT (I have a bad feeling about automatic-manual-transmission - just doesn’t sound right or organic)
4. New car options - Celerio, Alto, i10 (All AMTs) cheapest CVT magnite- wife hate magnite.
5. Used car options - i10, Brio
6. Patiently kept the search going with 2016-2019 - 60k-90k km range - i10/Brio budgeted 4-4.7 and 4.7 was cutoff not even 4.75 - in fact I liked a few but I let go because 15k or 20k extra (the brokers started hating me)
7. Kept the patience going and my broker called 1 day though he know the criteria and the fact that I won’t budge, he also knows am a sucker for a deal though.
8. A-Star Automatic, 2012, 34k on ODO, immaculate (owned and maintained by a Parsee lady) just wanted me to check out @ 2.25.
9. I go, i am attaching the pics of what I found, went directly to the nearby Maruti ASS, the SM vouched for the car and confirm about full service history, added I should not give it more than 3.5 - I took his advice seriously. Went to the ATM on the way back with 90k cash, gpay balance, 10k broker, 9k changed the 4s with conti CC4 we’re on a deal. 2k service. Wife’s respect for me - priceless; she didn’t want the altos or celerios either.

- rest is history never made a better car decision (have owned/sold 7 since I started driving in india and abroad)
In fact the best car in this segment I have known. IDK what has happened to Maruti but 2012 they were legendary, I was always a sucker for SX4 cannot find a well maintained one though.
Attached Thumbnails
The beater car culture in India | Bought a 13-year old Maruti A-Star for 1.8 lakhs-img_3241.jpeg  

The beater car culture in India | Bought a 13-year old Maruti A-Star for 1.8 lakhs-img_3240.jpeg  

The beater car culture in India | Bought a 13-year old Maruti A-Star for 1.8 lakhs-img_3239.jpeg  

warbug is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks