Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2024, 00:43   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Dravit Grey BMW M340i LCI | Ownership Review | The pinnacle of power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
All of that said, if you can afford a 340i I'd say do go ahead - it is a dying breed and I reckon it is going to keep its value in the long run because it has that stonking inline 6 engine which is BMW's best. In my case I was not just looking for experience, I was also looking at the practical aspects - one car for all seasons if you will. My other car is fastish Lexus RX450h which has a V6 and I do drive it from time to time if miss the noise
Your last para explains your decision

I was pretty kicked about Tesla, but when I drove one on a visit to USA (rental via Turo), all that excitement died down. Besides fast acceleration, practicality and very good self driving capability, there wasn't anything else I enjoyed about the car. So I was really wondering what did I miss?

If you have a charger at your home, Tesla a super practical point A to point B car, nothing fancy, nothing luxurious, nothing engaging about it, just too much hype. Its an appliance which does the job, efficiently. That's what most people want.

But if you need engaging drive, I think ICE is the only way at present. Waiting to see what BMW Neue Klasse comes up with. I hope they don't go the Tesla way!
ST7677 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 13:39   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW has hiked prices again. The M340i now costs Rs.72,90,000 ex-showroom! Second price hike since launch and prices have gone up by 3.7 lakhs in a year.

They have not altered the prices of more recently introduced models such as X3M40i and iX1. The X4 M40i has completely disappeared from the website.

The BMW range is very narrow now. the 5-series is entirely missing, there is not Petrol option in the regular X3 (which is a very popular segment) and there is no regular wheelbase 3 series available other than the M340i. BMW is leaving a lot of gaps in the portfolio for Mercedes to exploit.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 22:46   #33
BHPian

Very soon, cars like these are going to die out, so it is time to make the most of them while we can. BMW has been taking a hatchet to the model range pretty much everywhere in the world.

My father-in-law ended up buying the diesel X3 recently in Bangalore, and he did so reluctantly because he would have preferred the petrol but there was none to be had. And the BMW model range cuts are not limited to India only. In Europe, the 330i no longer exists as it has been replaced by the 330e which is a plug-in hybrid. So the choice is either the 320i or pay the massive emissions taxes for the 340i if one wants a new car with the pure petrol motor.

At least the 330i (even though the LWB) and the 340i still remain on the catalog to be purchased new in India (for the moment) !
schumi_pete is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 16:52   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

A quick update on the M340i

It’s just over a year since I got my BMW M340i LCI. As I had gone for an accelerated 1-year lease to maximise tax benefits, I closed the lease at the end of last month, paid off the residual vale and am presently getting the hypothecation removed. This was a chance to think about whether I wanted to keep the car long-term, or sell it and go for a fresh lease on my next car, to continue to enjoy tax benefits. Selling now would get me to get the maximum resale value as the M340i as it is still so fresh. I have driven only 3500 km in the whole first year and the car is still so pristine! But really torn about this as I know it will be hard to replace the driving pleasure of the M340i with literally any car in the market in the same or similar price ranges. Do let me know if you see any alternatives!

I had driven so less for a couple of reasons. It had been a fairly busy year at work and home, and I did not have too many chances for long drives. Plus I still had my Thar, which I used as my daily driver.

Another reason I have not done many long drives is that I got a bit of a scare when I drove my BMW up to the hills and back a couple of months ago. On the way back, the car’s front right tyre went over a pothole at about 70 kmph speed. There was a thud sound but nothing happened immediately and the tire pressure was being maintained as usual, when I called up the appropriate menu option. But a few minutes later, I heard the much feared hissing sound, which clearly meant the tire had been damaged. Fortunately, all else was well and the rims were not impacted in any way. This had happened on my way back from Kodai, just as I had entered the Chennai outskirts. So, I left the car at a fuel station for the leasing company, Orix, to pick it up for tire replacement and made my way home in an Ola taxi. Spare tires are very hard to come by in the OEM spec, and BMW Chennai had no stock. Again, it was my good fortune that the Bangalore dealer had one spare tire available and sent it to Chennai the same day and my car was back the very next day in the garage. Very good job done by Orix.

The M340i comes with a very thin tire profile of only 40 in the front and 35 at the back resulting in very low sidewall height. BMW keeps prioritizing aesthetics of larger wheel sizes, and grip of broad tire widths, with the result that the sidewall height gets lower and lower. Even a large SUV such as the face lifted X5 has just a 35 profile tyre at the rear, given the 305–20R tire size.

Other than this one episode, the car has provided a great ownership experience, with absolutely no niggles. The car is solidly built with not a single rattle anywhere. I am still discovering all the functionality inside that massive iDrive 8 system and am doing a few weekend drives around town to enjoy the powerful punch of the B58 engine in short bursts, on the rare occasions when one can find the runway to do that, in the ever busier roads around Chennai!
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 19:28   #35

Hii 84.monsoon, glad to hear that you are having a lovely ownership experience, other than that tire episode.

The car is almost brand new, selling it this early would not be very wise. You can instead opt for downsizing the rim to 18 inches to get a taller sidewall, and you might be able to get a good deal if you exchange your current one with OEM or aftermarket rims (some good designs are there with Vossen, you can check them out).

The only alternative I can think of for a B58 is a B58, or an S58. You can go with the X3/X4M40I or a pre-owned X3M too, if you want all India carefree usability (something which only an SUV can provide).

Personally, I would rather suggest the rim swap route and some careful driving, instead of replacing.
B58lover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 14:54   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally decided to sell my beloved BMW M340i (if I get the right price) - half-heartedly, as I am now eligible to lease a new car to maximize income tax benefits. The car has been absolutely fantastic in terms of reliability, not a single rattle or any other issue in the last one year. Posted in team-bhp classified as well as the BHP-ian owned cars for sale thread.

Classifieds Link: https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...or-sale/73385/
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 17:10   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
A quick update on the M340i

But really torn about this as I know it will be hard to replace the driving pleasure of the M340i with literally any car in the market in the same or similar price ranges. Do let me know if you see any alternatives!
BYD Seal - I am told you can claim a much higher depreciation on EVs and their financing also comes with tax benefits, you will move up from 340i into borderline Lamborghini performance numbers and one that is way more practical and at a much much lower upkeep cost
Old 1st April 2024, 15:09   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
But really torn about this as I know it will be hard to replace the driving pleasure of the M340i with literally any car in the market in the same or similar price ranges. Do let me know if you see any alternatives!
Equating tax-savings on car leases to actual savings isn't a sound financial principle.

Tax-savings must be viewed as cash-backs (at best). Think of it this way, why keep spending 60% (assuming you're in the highest tax and surcharge bracket = 40%) of your car's monthly EMI if you're perfectly happy with your current car?
buzzy_boy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks