Team-BHP - 523i & 525i Pushed to the Limit!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   523i & 525i Pushed to the Limit! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/27244-523i-525i-pushed-limit.html)

My long wait to get my hands on the Indian 5 series was finally over today. Unfortunatly i did not get the engine i was looking at- the 525d, Navnit Motors has only the 523i as their test drive car for now.

Comfort: The best seat quality and comfort i have ever come across in India. Legroom at the back is quite good and the thigh support is a big boon both in the front and rear. The seats hold you well during fast cornering, you wont find yourself slipping from side to side even without the seat belts support.
Quality of leather is fantastic, the test drive car had grey leather which looks amazing.
Only -ve point here is that the car would have benefited greatly if it had a flat floor at the rear. The person sitting in the middle has virtually no place to keep his/her legs.

Performance:
Even though this was the lowest engine spec, the 523 did not fail to impress. The engine was responsive and had adequate power to get you first off the signal unless its bigger siblings are around.
Engine loves to be pushed, tho it does loose steam on higher rpms, it was still fun to drive.

Handling: Ahhh, this is where it reallllly won me over...now, i have driven some of the best handling machines money can buy such as the CLS63AMG and no i am not saying the 5 series handled as well, but i was surprised that it came so close to the experience i had in the AMG.
Throw it around corners and it begs you to push it harder even tho the DTC is switched off.
Even tho the handling is precise, they have not compromised on the suspension..it still eats up the potholes like none other.
Braking - one word FLAWLESS !

So how does it compare to its rival- the E-class: To be honest it kills the E-class in every possible way...Comfort and interior space is much better than the E.. even performance wise tho the 523 is under powered its still fun to drive unlike the E200 Kompressor.
The list of standard features in the 5 are not even an option on the E-class, such as Xenon headlamps and Park Assist.
My dad is a merc lover, but the BMW really got the beast out in him today, i have never ever seen him drive so aggressively with a constant smile on his face every time it delivered what he was looking for.

Sahil Goood review.... any pics of the same, while you or your dad Driving it with a Big broad Smile.... congratulation in advance if the delivery is taken this month enjoy....

Nice review Sahil! Looks like you & your Dad had great fun!

Do I see a long-term review of the 5-series coming onto the board soon?;)

Even the entry-level 523i with 177BHP is hardly under-powered.....great review man! I am surprised you found the ride quality to be flawless; Most of the owners I spoke to complained about the stiff ride due to run flats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iraghava (Post 523458)
Do I see a long-term review of the 5-series coming onto the board soon?;)

Hopefully :) Which model and when is the mystery/dilemma! This "waiting period" fashion is really pissing off!

Sorry didnt take any pics.

Good going Sahil. I've driven the 03 530 with the older engine and even though it looks underpowered the engine is silky smooth and you can hold it at redline all day. The balance is to die for.

Make sure you drive the diesel too before you decide.

great riview,
thanks for putting the correct word about the ride quality, which according to people without correct knowledge of it decide that its on the stiffer side. (guess they judge it as per the 3 series, which is a little on the stiffer side.)

well what i am interested in is in knowing who was the person who came from navnit to give you the test drive and at what location? actually yesterday i was in the same car that you drove, giving a test drive to a client in 4 bunglows, which happenend in the evening time...

Nice writeup Sahil, IMHO BMW's are better than Merc anyday.

H.Bhatt from Navnit got the car to BKC.
Does Navnit have any 525 petrol or diesels available for a test drive?

sorry buddy, but as of now we dont have any other car except a 523i for test drive, actually having each and every models demo car will be a little difficult because of the kind of line up that BMW has in India.

but still great to have a good review from you for the car, and Hemchandra Bhatt is definately one of the most technically sound fellow that we have...
wish you happy driving...

Quote:

Hopefully Which model and when is the mystery/dilemma!
How about the 5 series that starts with an M?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 524622)
How about the 5 series that starts with an M?

How about you send me some M to buy the M ! :)

Nice TD report there! Thanks for sharing your TD experience here.

Handling characteristics of Beemer 5 series is some well known, tested and tried fact. They are all good handlers. Ride comfort will be compromised a bit.
It is a Beemer! So, even an underpowered one will be adequately powered and will always bring some good smiles on the drivers' faces.

But this car is more about character and liking. If you fall in love with these great driving machines, then there's no helping out of it. Even a full blooded Merc will not make your eyes blink.

It will be great to see you driving one out of your driveway. :cheers:

5 series, which starts with an M haaa...
Good question.
Have one thing to share here, once our sales driver was asked to park an M5 from one place to another at our workshop. He was used to driving a 523i or a 530i at the most.
He had never driven the M before.
This is what he told me after his drive. The car after putting in D mode does not moves forward on releasing the brake pedal unlike the normal 5 series cars.
But once just touching the accelerator scares the **** out of him. As he says that it just pounces on a feather touch on the accelerator.
That is the M version for us, which can be discussed but not test-driven. (I am though not going to miss out any opportunity that may come my way.)

Note from Mod : [TAGS] removed, please read through this thread. Thanks.

guys just saw the add of bmw x3 in a magazine it looked great... any idea wats the price ?