Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2024, 23:29   #1
BHPian

The White Blizzard - Story of my Mercedes Benz GLC 300

Prologue

Background

As a kid, I have always loved cars. Every time I saw a nice car — I would instinctively say "big car" or "red car", even before I could speak complete sentences. At school and while growing up, I would look at the fancy cars of my schoolmates or family friends and drool over them with the feeling "mera number kab aayega". Back in those days, a new Maruti 800 or new Santro was perfectly within the definition of a "fancy car" for me. Talk about the theory of relativity!

Go Fida

After I started working, I had to get a car. And damn — Ford's advertisements were just so out of the world. The "Go Fida" ad was something that I would have seen hundreds of times, always dreaming how I would zoom in on a Ford Fiesta like Abhishek. So in 2010, when I saw an ad on the office board about someone selling their Fiesta 1.4 ZXi to relocate abroad, I went and bought it immediately.

However, the itch of getting a bigger and better car continued, so in 2011 I upgraded to the more powerful next-generation Fiesta 1.6 ZXi, and then in 2013 to the all-new global Fiesta 1.5 TDCi Titanium with the kinetic design. This one was such a hoot to drive — and when Ford announced its plans to exit India, I was heartbroken.

The White Blizzard - Story of my Mercedes Benz GLC 300-fiesta.jpg

In 2017, I decided to upgrade again, this time by leveraging the lease plan from work. With Ford on the way out, I decided to bite the bullet and get a Skoda Rapid, despite the after-sales nightmare stories. Unfortunately, it turned out to be precisely how people said; every time it went to the service center - it came back with a new problem. When the lease ended in 2020, I was happy to return the car.

The White Blizzard - Story of my Mercedes Benz GLC 300-rapid.jpg

Bitten by the SUV Bug

In 2020, when it came to selecting a new car, I was busy looking for another sedan. Few cars were as thrilling to drive as the last Fiesta. However, suddenly, I happened to see a red Jeep Compass, and it was love at first sight. The silent yet powerful petrol engine, combined with a fantastic DCT transmission, and luxurious interiors was enough to ensure that I booked it right away. And boy - did it make me completely forget the Fiesta - this car gave me so much happiness munching miles endlessly.

The White Blizzard - Story of my Mercedes Benz GLC 300-compass_1.jpg

The White Blizzard - Story of my Mercedes Benz GLC 300-compass_2.jpg

Life Throws a Curveball

In 2021, certain events were happening in my personal life, and I was hitting rock bottom. It was challenging to accept what had happened, so I spent a lot of time trying to erase memories, both physically and mentally.

Suddenly in mid-2022, without any warning, during an evening drive, the Compass threw up a myriad of errors and slowed to a crawl. Somehow I managed to crawl back home - all of this was due to a single malfunctioning ABS sensor. Jeep, in the meanwhile, suddenly decided to dishonor the warranty, as there was one delayed service during Covid. It was ridiculous, but a good excuse to also erase the memory of the Compass - I called Cars24 and in 2 days the car was gone.

Bringing Home the Tucson

Selecting a new car was a whole new challenge - there were very few cars in the 40L space. I fell in love with the Skoda Superb and was almost about to book the car, but in comes the news of Skoda retiring the Octavia and the Superb.

One day, a colleague suggested taking a look at the Hyundai Tucson. The Tucson usually looked like a small car in photos, so I wasn’t interested, but still decided to go and take a look. And it was once again, very surprisingly, an Ah My God moment. The car looked enormous in the flesh, was so much fun to drive, and so incredibly luxurious. Once again - I took the plunge and booked the car, only to know that delivery would probably take 6 months due to the considerable demand.

A few days later, suddenly another Hyundai dealer called, as I had been enquiring about the Kona. When they heard about my Tucson booking, they said that they had a blue car arriving in 2 days that they could allocate to me as the intended buyer was facing issues with the loan. Lo and behold - in September 2022, I had my Tucson, and it was delivered faster than anyone else!

Driving the Tucson was always a happy moment, and we did some outstanding drives with our extended family to the Nilgiris, and countless fond memories!

The White Blizzard - Story of my Mercedes Benz GLC 300-tucson_1.jpeg

The White Blizzard - Story of my Mercedes Benz GLC 300-tucson_2.jpeg

The White Blizzard - Story of my Mercedes Benz GLC 300-nilgiris_1.jpeg

The White Blizzard - Story of my Mercedes Benz GLC 300-nilgiris_2.jpeg

The White Blizzard - Story of my Mercedes Benz GLC 300-nilgiris_3.jpeg

The White Blizzard - Story of my Mercedes Benz GLC 300-nilgiris_4.jpeg

Life Throws Another Curveball

In November 2022, I had to travel to New York for an assignment for 3 months. Post Covid, this was the first time I was traveling, and so I was very excited. Additionally, it would also be a good break to forget about the last curveball… or so I thought.

The White Blizzard - Story of my Mercedes Benz GLC 300-nyc.jpeg

However, on the second day of my trip, I had a significant Medical Incident, which was suspected to be related to long-covid or the vaccine. It took me 5 months to get back on my feet before I could return to India. Life happens…

------------------------------------

In Comes the Blizzard

The New Life

In March 2023, after 5 nightmarish months, I was finally back home. My perspective on life had changed - I was no longer willing to wait patiently for what I wanted in life. In August 2023, I decided to quit my job at one of the world’s most well-known banks to take up another offer. In doing so, I had to relocate to Chennai, leaving behind my home of 14 years.

Fast-forward to November 2023, while Pandal hopping during Durga Puja in Chennai, I saw a Merc on display. And suddenly, it dawned on me that I had to experience that too, especially when life gives no guarantees. Very soon, I decided to sell my Tucson (which was not an easy decision - I loved her) and get the German beauty.

The Ultimate Driving Machine

So I decided to visit the BMW showroom on OMR, and immediately fell in love with the 6GT. Oh boy - what a looker she is! The long curvy silhouette, the leather seats and the air suspension just blew me off my feet.

But that’s where the fun ended - everything went downwards from there:
  • Customer Treatment - We went to their main showroom on GST Road, and we took my father’s i20. We were made to wait for a long time, it seemed that everyone’s attention was focused on an iX delivery. Then they said that the 6GT signature version was out of stock. We wanted to see the x5 - we got a very brief feature review, and no one wanted to tell us the price. Peasant treatment?
  • Inconsistent Discounts - While the 6GT was getting very attractive discounts in Bengaluru and Mumbai, the Chennai dealership, due to their monopoly, refused to match them at all. Bargaining for me is like rubbing nails on a blackboard or going to the dentist for scaling - I just can’t! And it seemed very unfair that I would pay around 10 lakhs more for the same car!
  • Final Nail in the Coffin - For a while they kept on saying that they would give me a very attractive price for my Tucson. One Wednesday, I was ready to book and had my chequebook ready, when the BMW sales people came to my office. They quoted 50% for the Tucson. When I shook my head in dismay, they asked me to wait while they called someone on the phone. After 15 minutes of waiting, they offered 25,000 more. Seriously? I walked out…

Side note: BMW finally agreed to match the best price I received for my Tuscon, but it was too late. The last episode left such a horrid feeling that I was unwilling to go back to the dealership!

Burmester Blows My Mind

In between all this, I decided to visit the Merc showroom, and I was surprised at how welcome they made us feel. The security person rushed to help us come out of our i20, and the sales consultant Mr. Vinoth, patiently showed us all the cars. He continuously kept on saying — sir, you don’t have to buy from us, just experience all our cars and then decide.

The car that I liked best in the showroom was the GLC. It was a brand-new model (not a lifecycle impulse / LCI) on a new global platform, looks like a mini S class from the inside, has the best-in-class tech, and is as fast as the six-cylinder 6GT 630d (despite having 4 cylinders). However, what blew me off was the Burmester music system — it is just out of the world and no other German car comes close. I have a Bose, Sony, and Samsung home theatre at home(s), and this was way better. Additionally, one of the interesting things that I learned about Mercedes was that the pricing and discounts are controlled centrally and dealers cannot decide. Therefore, everyone pays the same for the car and all bookings must be made online directly with the brand.

My aged parents were also with me, and they were immediately taken to the Mercedes Cafe and treated to amazing beverages and snacks. The warm welcome was very impressive, but at that time we were still leaning towards the 6GT or the x5.

After the horrid haggling experience with BMW, I called up Mr. Vinoth the same evening and asked him how much he would offer for my Tucson. He quoted a price that, I thought, was fair, and I booked my GLC 300 online immediately.

The White Blizzard - Story of my Mercedes Benz GLC 300-booking.png

Here Comes the Blizzard — GLC 300

The next day, Mr. Vinoth (the sales consultant) and Ms. Sheeba (showroom head) came over to our house to complete the paperwork and give another test drive. They brought the GLC and the C-Class, and were very generous that we could drive any or both cars and for however long we wanted to.

I took the car to ECR, floored the pedal, and was floored myself. The crazy acceleration (0-100kmph in 6.1secs), confident braking and straight-line stability were impressive. Moreover, it’s an All-Wheel-Drive SUV that one can confidently take to the hills, rough patches, off-roads, and not break a sweat.

In less than a week, the car arrived from Pune, and we did a quick PDI followed by registration formalities.

The White Blizzard - Story of my Mercedes Benz GLC 300-pdi.jpg

Bringing Her Home

The delivery was a very regal event at the iconic VST Titanium Showroom at Thousand Lights in Chennai. We had a wonderful cake cutting, along with professional videography and lots of fun with the entire crew.

The White Blizzard - Story of my Mercedes Benz GLC 300-delivery_1.jpg

The White Blizzard - Story of my Mercedes Benz GLC 300-delivery_2.jpg

The White Blizzard - Story of my Mercedes Benz GLC 300-delivery_3.jpg

The White Blizzard - Story of my Mercedes Benz GLC 300-delivery_4.jpg

Star Trail Events

We were invited to 2 Star Trail events over the following months.

The first one was a lunch event at **Intercontinental Hotel, ECR, Chennai** followed by the unveiling of the new A class. The second one was an off-roading expedition at **The Farm, OMR, Chennai** where we were treated to some outstanding food and got to drive some expensive cars off-road.

I got a chance to drive the GLS through the rocky terrain, and it climbed steep slopes with more agility than a tiger. Even for a moment, one wouldn’t feel the massive size of the car while navigating the peaks, which was beyond impressive. A feat of engineering!

The White Blizzard - Story of my Mercedes Benz GLC 300-star_trails_1.jpg

The White Blizzard - Story of my Mercedes Benz GLC 300-star_trails_2.jpg

After Sales Service

While purchasing the car, I had also included Star Ease Compact Plus package for 4 years and an extended warranty for the fourth year.

In the past few months, the car had 2 trips to the service centre — one for the 30-day service and the other for the 80A fuse box replacement (as a part of the recall campaign). Both the times, the car was picked up from home, and washed and returned like new after the service. The entire process was coordinated extremely well by Mr. Satish (CRM) and Mr. Agasiya (Service) with continuous updates and accommodating any requirements. Needless to say — everything (including the car detailing) was free of cost. Of all the brands that I have owned — the after sales service of Mercedes has been the best, by a long shot!

Unintentional Testing of the Build Quality

On the first day of the new year, we went out towards ECR but were caught in a long traffic jam, where people were trying to squeeze into every gap possible.

In between all of this, a Polo GT decided to suddenly speed up and rear-ended me. As the car shook violently from the impact, in my mind, I was already picturing the rear bumper and tail lights breaking and requiring a long stay at the service centre. I will let the video describe this.

When I reached home, I was surprised to see that there wasn’t even a scratch on the car. I checked 5 times over to make sure that I was missing nothing — and indeed there was nothing! Build quality 10/10

Pondicherry Trip

We decided to do a weekend trip to Pondicherry and see the sun and sands. We decided to take the GST Road to allow the car to stretch its legs and also use the advanced DISTRONIC cruise control system. The car is indeed a hoot to drive, and getting 13kmpl despite occasional hard acceleration was easy.

As a side note, the recommended fuel is 95 Octane and the ideal is 97 Octane, as this is a high-compression engine. I was initially using Shell Premium (which is 91 Octane) but then started using XP100 / Speed97 and the smoothness and acceleration impact is night and day.

The White Blizzard - Story of my Mercedes Benz GLC 300-pondi_1.jpg

The White Blizzard - Story of my Mercedes Benz GLC 300-pondi_2.jpg

The White Blizzard - Story of my Mercedes Benz GLC 300-pondy_3.jpeg

Other Interesting Points

• ADAS: All my ADAS functions (emergency braking, lane keep assist etc) are always switched on and kept on the **_medium_** setting. I did the same in my Tucson and I feel it makes me a better driver - I always keep sufficient gap from the vehicle in front. I believe I would prefer being rear-ended rather than hit a vehicle or pedestrian myself - there have been numerous instances when people and kids dash in front of the car out of nowhere.
  • Kitna deti hai: I get around 9kmpl in the city under normal driving conditions, and around 13kmpl with occasional hard accelerations.

The White Blizzard - Story of my Mercedes Benz GLC 300-efficiency.jpeg

------------------------------------

Epilogue

Special Thanks To

• The VST Titanium Crew: This is the same group that meets film stars and other celebrities (you can see plenty of videos on YouTube) as they deliver cars like Maybach, AMG, and other expensive vehicles. Yet, they gave us (i.e., Hyundai i20 guests) the same warmth and welcome as they do to the stars — this amply demonstrates the maturity of the brand and the incredible culture of the group. Through the sales process and for the Star Trails events after that, they were very inclusive with my aged parents, sparing no opportunity to make them feel welcomed and comfortable. Special thanks to Ms. Sheeba (head), Mr. Vinoth (the most fantastic and talented sales consultant), Mr. Vignesh (Insurance), Ms. Shanti (CRM), Mr. Satish (CRM), and Mr. Agasiya (Service).
  • Mercedes India & Mr. Santosh Iyer, CEO: Thank you for building the brand for the last 15 years, the aspirational value and recognition of the star are unparalleled. I grew up seeing so many Mercedes videos that made me dream and build a future, that I probably couldn’t have, without all that inspiration. We are proud to be called different names... Rebels, Radicals, Renegades!

Last edited by Axe77 : 7th May 2024 at 02:16. Reason: Inadvertent typo in date. Edited as requested.
sudiptaadhya is offline   (87) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 01:17   #2
BHPian

Re: The White Blizzard - Story of my Mercedes Benz GLC 300

GLC 300 is fantastic to drive & own. Wishing you loads of pleasurable miles.
SilverSmoke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 14:26   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on your GLC, wishing you lakhs of happy kilometres with it

It’s raining GLC 300s on the forum, and there is every reason for it to sell in such high numbers.

Currently its an absolute no-brainer in the Mid-size premium SUV segment! The Q5 is dated but cheaper, the X3 is only available with the 20d diesel with the interiors showing its age and the M40i priced at well above a Crore on-road. What a poor show by BMW for discontinuing the X3 30i. Discovery Sport/Evoque are more known for their Diesel engines.

I’m glad Mercedes Benz reintroduced the 300 4Matic spec for India again, after it disappeared with the facelift of the previous-gen GLC.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 10:21   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudiptaadhya View Post

Here Comes the Blizzard — GLC 300

The next day, Mr. Vinoth (the sales consultant) and Ms. Sheeba (showroom head) came over to our house to complete the paperwork and give another test drive. They brought the GLC and the C-Class, and were very generous that we could drive any or both cars and for however long we wanted to.

I took the car to ECR, floored the pedal, and was floored myself. The crazy acceleration (0-100kmph in 6.1secs), confident braking and straight-line stability were impressive. Moreover, it’s an All-Wheel-Drive SUV that one can confidently take to the hills, rough patches, off-roads, and not break a sweat.
Congratulations on one of the best luxury SUVs on sale today, It is thoroughly modern and has the superior 300 powertrain rather than the 200 that was offered in the later models of previous generation GLC.

Quote:

Unintentional Testing of the Build Quality

On the first day of the new year, we went out towards ECR but were caught in a long traffic jam, where people were trying to squeeze into every gap possible.

In between all of this, a Polo GT decided to suddenly speed up and rear-ended me. As the car shook violently from the impact, in my mind, I was already picturing the rear bumper and tail lights breaking and requiring a long stay at the service centre. I will let the video describe this.
I do not intend to be a spoil sport here, but please get your rear bumper removed and check for any damages to the frame, some rear end accidents lead to a deformed/damaged bar/frame inside the bumper.
abaliga is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 10:27   #5
BHPian

Mercedes-Benz is just a cut above the rest when it comes to luxury; everything from the purchase process, the way they treat customers, the Mercedes events like you mentioned and even the after-sales service is just top notch - other luxury brands can only come so close.
Reading about your gradual progression through the automobile spectrum resonates with me as well. Congratulations for your new ride, the GLC 300 is definitely the best choice in the luxury SUV segment at the moment with its refinement, 4matic system, and power Please do post more pics of the interior, engine bay, etc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Currently its an absolute no-brainer in the Mid-size premium SUV segment! The Q5 is dated but cheaper, the X3 is only available with the 20d diesel with the interiors showing its age and the M40i priced at well above a Crore on-road. What a poor show by BMW for discontinuing the X3 30i. Discovery Sport/Evoque are more known for their Diesel engines.
Agreed! Q5, while I feel is a great car for the price you can get it at, is getting dated, and simply can't match the opulence of a Merc GLC. And I only just learnt that the X3 is now only available in the 20d variant...seems a bit underpowered for the price no?

Last edited by sh3lby : 7th May 2024 at 10:41.
sh3lby is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 10:35   #6

What a heck of journey!!
Wishing you tons of pleasurable miles with this beast!!
NitinzM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 11:42   #7
sgm
BHPian

Congrats Sudipta on your new GLC300. Lot of new GLC 300s in the forum.

Wishing you a lots of happy miles.

Is it E20 compliant? Though 95 Octane or higher is preferred, I guess it is harmless to use regular fuel when you can't get it in some situations.
sgm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 14:40   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm View Post
Congrats Sudipta on your new GLC300. Lot of new GLC 300s in the forum.

Wishing you a lots of happy miles.

Is it E20 compliant? Though 95 Octane or higher is preferred, I guess it is harmless to use regular fuel when you can't get it in some situations.
Thanks so much

Yes Mercedes confirmed on email that it is E20 compliant.
sudiptaadhya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 17:03   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudiptaadhya View Post
But that’s where the fun ended - everything went downwards from there:
Customer Treatment - We went to their main showroom on GST Road, and we took my father’s i20. We were made to wait for a long time, it seemed that everyone’s attention was focused on an iX delivery. Then they said that the 6GT signature version was out of stock. We wanted to see the x5 - we got a very brief feature review, and no one wanted to tell us the price. Peasant treatment?
Inconsistent Discounts - While the 6GT was getting very attractive discounts in Bengaluru and Mumbai, the Chennai dealership, due to their monopoly, refused to match them at all. Bargaining for me is like rubbing nails on a blackboard or going to the dentist for scaling - I just can’t! And it seemed very unfair that I would pay around 10 lakhs more for the same car!
Yes I too experienced a similar kind of treatment with BMW here in hyderabad. I don't know why, they seem to behave with some high handedness and don't value the customer. All this even after I paid the booking amount.
acedriver_9000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 19:25   #10
BANNED

A true car enthusiast. Liked the way you upgraded your cars. Congratulations for the car. Hope you make more good memories with your car.
pragvanshsaini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2024, 00:30   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on your beautiful GLC 300. After a long time on the forum, I am seeing someone who is a bit like me and upgrades cars just because one thinks life is short and we should not delay the pleasure of owning cars that we dream of.

Also, I see that you have consistently upgraded from your previous car which is a similar storyline of my life. I have upgraded 12 cars in total in my entire life and none of them were pre-owned.

Another similarity is we both owned the amazing Ford Aspire TDCI- What an amazing machine. It was better and even more hoot to drive than a Cruze that I had owned. I still miss its sharp dynamics and lovely power.

The only dissimilarity is none of my cars ever gave any problems (mechanically) and it's been a dream run till date.

Lovely summation of your car owning journey and wish you best of health and continued enjoyment with your new Mercedes.

Enjoy & Drive Safe !!!
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2024, 08:22   #12
BHPian

Congrats on the GLC. The same team sold me the GLA - I wanted to get the GLB but they pushed me into buying the GLA, lol.

Btw, did the security guard at the 1000 lights showroom ask you for money when you took delivery of the car? It happened to me and I was taken aback since no other car delivery experience has been like this.
hajaar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2024, 15:55   #13
BHPian

@sudiptaadhya, The White Blizzard looks amazing! Thanks for sharing your travel details. Also thank you for providing some quick clarifications during my purchase decision!

Wish you many miles and enjoy the time with White Blizzard!

Last edited by Axe77 : 8th May 2024 at 16:12.
sknair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2024, 23:44   #14

Congratulations on your new GLC sir.

Merc outshines every other competitors cars in interiors and tech. 'A' Class has better interiors than BMW X5 or 5 series.

However, BMW is purely driver's car and if you are driving enthusiast, you will love it.

May be I am biased, as I am speaking from my own experience of upgrading from a A class to 6GT. ( Both are in complete opposite spectrum), but that's my observation so far.

All the best for your future journeys.
TheAllKnowing is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks