Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2007, 00:34   #1
BHPian

Fianally Bought GETZ GLS 1.3

First, let me thank all the team-bhp members. We benefited a lot from the wealth of information here. I have been a silent reader of this form for the last 4 months and didn't post anything as I had nothing to contribute until now.

We wanted to present a car to parents residing in Hyderabad, India and initial budget was 5 Lakhs but flexible and this would be their first car in India. Initially we limited ourselves to Automatic transmission cars and almost zeroed in Santro AT. When Magna was announced and Santro AT discontinued recently we didn't have any other reasonable choices in this segment. So due to lack of choices in our budget, we expanded our search to all cars. We finalized this list
1. Hyundai Getz
2. Maruthi Swift
3. Chevy Spark/UV-A
4. Magna I10

We selected Getz for its rear seat comfort, size, boot space and practicality as our parents will mostly be sitting in the rear and the car will be drive by a driver. Ruled out Maruthi Swift for rear seat comfort; Chevy Spark/UV-A for poor dealer network outside cities; and Magna I10 for poor value for money/Not tested on Indian roads.

The next question was either Getz 1.1 GVS or 1.3 GLS. We decided 1.3 is a better fit for our needs as we want a car that's comfortable for highway driving.

I reside in US and was not present in person in Hyderabad. Our parents visted all three Hyundai Dealerships in Hyderabad - Talwar, Kun and Lakshmi in second week of Nov07. Talwar Hyundai dealer had a black Getz 1.3 GLS ready and upon great bargaining (Thanks again to the forum) based on the previous posts of on road prices of Getz and freebies offered in Calcutta, Mumbai we finalized on this deal: Rs 5,28,000/- on road including everything except registration charges which will be around Rs. 2000/- extra. This price included these freebies: MP3 Player Sony, Pioneer Speakers, Matting, Reverse Horn, Mud Flaps, Teflon Coating, Remote Locking.

They paid Rs. 10000/- on 15Nov07 as a deposit to bring the car from their warehouse to the dealership. Nextday they inspected the car as per the checklist in this forum (again great comprehensive list) and they found out the manufacturing date and month was Feb 2007. As the car is little older and we are not completely satisfied with the color, we decided to order a new one. This time we picked the exterior color as Bright Silver and interior as Grey. They told us it will take 2 weeks for delivery. Parent got a call on 26Nov07 evening that the car has arrived from Chennai. Parents went and inspected again folloiwng the checklist and everything looked great.

Finally took the delivery today 30Nov07 by paying the money with a banker's cheque (clears on the same day) and the dealer gave couple more bonus items: Anti Rust coating and a Ganesh Idol. The sales person was very surprised at our parents knowledge and especially the checklist (again, Thanks to the forum) and was very friendly. He also mentioned that they sold the Black Getz 1.3 GLS the day before but at a higher price without any freebies. Looks like the other person did not bargain. So, if we don't ask we don't get anything. Parents presented 2 small gifts to him. The driver and parents after delivery, went to Tadbund Hanuman temple, performed pooja and just came home as they were parking one of our neighbours came upon to see the new car. He was rather surprised that our parents got this deal as when he was enquiring for Getz 1.3, all his quotes for On road were around 5.8 lakhs, so he bought an I10 for around 5 lakhs on road. Parents are very excited and feel that we got a great car that meets our needs for a great price.

Last edited by gmmurali : 1st December 2007 at 00:41. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 1st December 2007, 01:05   #2
BHPian

pictures

My parents are little technically challenged, but I recently gave them a digital camera. I will walk them through taking some pictures and post them here soon.
Old 1st December 2007, 01:07   #3
BHPian

My parents are little technically challenged :-) But I recently gave them a digital camera. I will walk them through taking some pictures and post them here soon.
Old 1st December 2007, 01:58   #4
BHPian

Congrats mate cheers: , enjoy your ride and keep us updated about your experience. keep her well and she wont let you down

Prashant
Old 1st December 2007, 02:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

congrats buddy,Getz 1.3L sure is a superb hatchback with some serious power,I have also just bought one and is superb[]

congrats once again and drive safe
Old 1st December 2007, 10:34   #6
BHPian

great buy, and also the best color for the getz. congratulations.
Old 1st December 2007, 10:58   #7
Team-BHP Support

good choice.. now join the gang.
Old 1st December 2007, 11:03   #8
BHPian

Congrats Murali! You really have made a good choice based on your requirements. I own a 1.3 since Dec 06 and i am truly satisfied with it.

Also thats a well written report!
Lastly welcome to TBHP!! hope you have a exciting time here

Elito
Old 1st December 2007, 11:08   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Only three hatchbacks provide rear seat comfort; the Getz, Indica and Palio. If you are looking for sheer quality, the Getz it is. Looks like you read our content carefully, since we recommend the 1.3 over the 1.1 Getz.

Great going. And nice gesture toward your folks.
Old 1st December 2007, 11:16   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Murali, that is one hell of a remote purchasing direction-cum-guidance . It was very good of you to pit all the 3 dealers against each other and thats the only way to get the best deal out of these squeamish dealers. I always do that ( already did for an M800, Santro and now the viva crdi). Again, good decision to take it from Talwar ( even i got mine from there) they are very friendly and pay lot of attention to customers. Is it Jubilee Hills, Talwar? or Begumpet, Talwar?

Anyways, Getz 1.3 is one spacious and powerful car. Recently in one of our TBHP drives, i had a tough time beating one, but, then i did beat it in the end

Congrats and ask your parents to drive safe!

Last edited by mobike008 : 1st December 2007 at 11:17.
Old 1st December 2007, 14:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

I've had the Getz GLS for 3 years and 75K KM. It's a beautiful car to own. Congrats. Many happy and safe journeys to you and your family.
Old 1st December 2007, 16:27   #12
BHPian

Congrats Murali !! welcome to the club. The Getz 1.3 is a great car to own. I found that the car really opens up once the run-in period is over and you can take the car upto 2k - 3k revs.
Old 1st December 2007, 21:11   #13
Team-BHP Support

Congrats! You have done your research, and I think it has paid off in the end. Nice purchase!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmmurali View Post
We selected Getz for its rear seat comfort, size, boot space and practicality as our parents will mostly be sitting in the rear and the car will be drive by a driver. We decided 1.3 is a better fit for our needs as we want a car that's comfortable for highway driving.
If the car is driver driven, why opt for the 1.3 instead of the 1.1 based on highway driving comfort?
Old 1st December 2007, 22:39   #14
BHPian

Welcome to the forum,very good choice man.
I am seriously looking forward to buy GETZ 1.3 as my second car and the only other shortlisted car is 1.6 palio.
Old 2nd December 2007, 01:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
good choice.. now join the gang.
The GETZ gang is increasing

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks