Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2008, 10:15   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
ACI is carrying a review report on Grande. Anybody seen this?
Planning to get one over the weekend.
ACI verdict is 7 out of 10. However the leafspring suspension and poor fitting of interiors is a big let down. They also mention about the poor ride quality.

Leg room and responsive engine is awesome.

I think will have to wait for V2.
Old 11th March 2008, 20:01   #47
Senior - BHPian

some pix of Black Grande and Safari.
Attached Thumbnails
Safari Vs Sumo Grande - A face off, how they stand...-11032008001_resize.jpg  

Safari Vs Sumo Grande - A face off, how they stand...-11032008003_resize.jpg  

Safari Vs Sumo Grande - A face off, how they stand...-11032008004_resize.jpg  

Safari Vs Sumo Grande - A face off, how they stand...-11032008005_resize.jpg  

Safari Vs Sumo Grande - A face off, how they stand...-11032008_resize.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by jkdas : 11th March 2008 at 20:07.
Old 11th March 2008, 20:16   #48
Senior - BHPian

The sumo grande front end looks better than the safari,maybe because safari has been arround for some time.JK why not a photo comparo of the interiors.Thats what we see when we are inside.
ram
Old 11th March 2008, 20:26   #49
Senior - BHPian

TATA never ever reveals it upcoming launches, leave alone the dates so everything is speculation, although a new safari is definitely due.

Cost and availability of spares, have you forgotten the new 2.2l engine which was made for safari is detuned and put in the Grande and will be the engine used by TATA going forward too. So no problem here too.

Definitely with new models the older ones fetch lesser resale value but thats the way of life, isnt it !!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
One more reason to go for the Grande and not the Safari:

According to some members in this forum and Autocar India magazine the current Safari is likely to be replaced by an all new vehicle next year. Guess what will happen to the cost and availabilty of spare parts in the long run not to mention the resale value. Agreed, agreed, one does not buy a vehicle for its resale value but a cost conscious buyer has to factor this is into the purchase cost.
Old 12th March 2008, 16:03   #50
BHPian

The Sumo grande looks very good on the face of it,but the old chassis,albeit with a stretched wheelbase over the old sumo and a similar but slightly tweaked suspension just do not cut it in the market anymore.The sumo has been has been around since i was wearing chuddies.The grande really deserved an all new chassis.
Also,the price difference between the Sumo gx and the Safari ex is about one lakh in Hyderabad.They are absolutely identical in features.This is where I think Tata has lost the plot.I feel the price hike of close to 1.5 lakh(not counting discount,which by the way is a not insubstantial 25-30k) over the old sumo would've been justified if it was an all new car.
All my gripes notwithstanding,I would've still considered buying it if it was atleast a half lakh cheaper.
Old 12th March 2008, 16:19   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce-deuce View Post
I would've still considered buying it if it was atleast a half lakh cheaper.

Am just a litle curious.

Are you planing on buying something and have to leave the Grande out because its 50k too high, or is it just a generic sweeping statement.
Old 13th March 2008, 11:07   #52
BHPian

One of our TBHPian friends- 'Ramie' here is organising a test drive of Sumo Grande at or out of Navi Mumbai in a day or two ( most probably) and rest assured, we will have our own review as few more TBHPians are expected to join. Will keep you updated.
Old 14th March 2008, 18:50   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I probably won't buy the Sumo Grande but it sure makes me look forward to the next version of the Safari !!!
Old 11th August 2010, 22:40   #54

I was passing infront of Hyson Motors Thrissur and eyes got stuck with a Safari-Grande pair in mineral red. Couldn't help stopping and checking out...
I was greatly impressed with the size and overall shape of Grande - especially the front portion! How ever I felt the interiors bit under quality. Me and the sales guy had a nice discussion and comparison between Grande and Safari. According to him Safari's customers drop in just to buy Safari.. they normally dont bother about the other cars/models around. For many owning a Safari (still) is making a dream come true! (Despite of entry of many new players in SUV segment like Toyota, Honda, Nissan & GM). In 90's truly Safari was a status symbol and dream of many!
Well, how ever I was not much impressed by Safari's looks (especially the low front bonnet) ..my eyes were rather caressing the masculine beauty of Grande.

With the specs and equipment on board I felt its a good deal and value for money. More over , I live and work abroad and this would be an ideal car which me and my family can use when I come down during holidays. Tata's spare parts are easy to get and reasonably priced - which makes the job of maintenance much easy for my folks back home.

To sum up, I left the showroom quite largely impressed with the 'value for money' and 'SUV looks' part of Grande and the next day popped back in and booked the car!

I had an issue related to ECU (Electronic Control Unit) of Engine, how ever got replaced free of cost through extended warranty scheme. I dont really care about milage and stuff, but I think I am getting 9.5 - 10.5 KM/L with A/c on.

I garnished my Grande with some accessories and people say its a real head turner
Old 11th August 2010, 23:09   #55

How did I end up with a Grande

I was passing infront of Hyson Motors Thrissur and eyes got stuck with a Safari-Grande pair in mineral red. Couldn't help stopping and checking out...
I was greatly impressed with the size and overall shape of Grande - especially the front portion! How ever I felt the interiors bit under quality. Me and the sales guy had a nice discussion and comparison between Grande and Safari. According to him Safari's customers drop in just to buy Safari.. they normally dont bother about the other cars/models around. For many owning a Safari (still) is making a dream come true! (Despite of entry of many new players in SUV segment like Toyota, Honda, Nissan & GM). In 90's truly Safari was a status symbol and dream of many!
Well, how ever I was not much impressed by Safari's looks (especially the low front bonnet) ..my eyes were rather caressing the masculine beauty of Grande.

With the specs and equipment on board I felt its a good deal and value for money. More over , I live and work abroad and this would be an ideal car which me and my family can use when I come down during holidays. Tata's spare parts are easy to get and reasonably priced - which makes the job of maintenance much easy for my folks back home.

To sum up, I left the showroom quite largely impressed with the 'value for money' and 'SUV looks' part of Grande and the next day popped back in and booked the car!

I had an issue related to ECU (Electronic Control Unit) of Engine, how ever got replaced free of cost through extended warranty scheme. I dont really care about milage and stuff, but I think I am getting 9.5 - 10.5 KM/L with A/c on.

I garnished my Grande with some accessories and people say its a real head turner
Attached Thumbnails
Safari Vs Sumo Grande - A face off, how they stand...-14092009428.jpg  

Safari Vs Sumo Grande - A face off, how they stand...-16092009439.jpg  

Safari Vs Sumo Grande - A face off, how they stand...-14012010455.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks