Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2008, 14:48   #1
BHPian

Tips to consider before / during / after servicing your car

About the mind-boggling fifth dimension of our car-life we call the Service center (the other dimensions being the driver, the front passenger who presses his feet on the non-existent brake, the rear passenger who always knows the wrong direction and the car which develops a mind of its own) where we take our cars on an average of 3-6 months for something called "free" but nevertheless we end up paying, here are a few things I thought would make your life easier, just like it does mine.

Before taking it for service:

1. Make sure you take a walk around your car, inspect it externally to see if everything is alright. Take a quick note of major scratches etc. Inspect the interior for any dirt on the seat etc. Cuz you are taking it to a place where there are quite a few grease monkeys and you don't want dings and grime on your car.

2. Make note of the odometer reading and also don't fill up your tank before taking it to service. You'll never notice the 1 litre that could be suctioned out.

3. Remove your expensive audio system, sunglasses etc and take them with you if possible. If not, lock them in the glovebox. You sure don't want a mechanic pimpin your dolce & gabbana, thumpin to Jay-z, driving down the freeway picking up chicks you couldn't.

4. Be on time for the service. Don't go late and start arguing with the service guys that its the traffic. Its never the traffic. Its always you starting late. Try to get the service done on a day where you don't have too much to do, especially midnight customer calls etc.

During:

1. Make friends with the Service guy. Know his name and his mobile number. Insist on talking to him as much as possible. Introduce yourself and if possible, share your business card with him. This relationship should be kept professional / business casual and so ensure you don't take it too far like inviting him over for drinks etc.

2. While you are chatting, please don't make statements such as "I have no idea how this works.." or "I am in a rush, can we get this done quickly?" - usually these are the times when corners are cut to ensure a "quick and prompt" delivery.

3. Make sure you take a quick look at the Service manual to check if the things listed are being checked by the Service agent in his paperwork. Also, let him know if you want anything else inspected.

4. Never pay upfront. Its a service. The company is not poor enough to bank on your 400 Rs to get a part for the car. Also, if any part is "recommended' ask questions to thoroughly understand why its being changed, what was the damage on the old one and how long will the new one last. Also ask to see the old part if you are feeling suspicious.

After:

1. Be there on time to pick up your car. As much as possible, don't leave the car overnight in any service station.

2. Request a copy of the checklist. Make sure you understand what's been done and what's been changed.

3. If you are getting warranties for any product, please get it stamped and put it along with your service manual immediately. Not in the dark bottomless hole you call pocket.

4. Make sure stuff in your glovebox is still there and all switches, wipers, lights etc are functioning. A fuse or a wire may have been accidentally pulled out and it will be a hassle getting it back there just for that.

5. Thank the Service guy and leave. Don't hang around there talking about your car experiences and knowledge, offering your intuition to every car problem. Refer Point 1: Business casual relationship.

Take care and have a wonderful service experience. And if you are waiting in the lounge, read your car manual to pass your time. You may become a service mechanic yourself, who knows!

Please feel free to change / add / delete anything mentioned above.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2008, 12:06   #2
BHPian

bump for those who haven't read this!
Old 25th March 2008, 14:12   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
About the mind-boggling fifth dimension of our car-life we call the Service center (the other dimensions being the driver, the front passenger who presses his feet on the non-existent brake, the rear passenger who always knows the wrong direction and the car which develops a mind of its own) where we take our cars on an average of 3-6 months for something called "free" but nevertheless we end up paying, here are a few things I thought would make your life easier, just like it does mine.
Good and informative tips about servicing...
Old 25th March 2008, 16:09   #4
BHPian

Good one. Not enough attention.. Mods - Sticky or Advice section?
Old 25th March 2008, 16:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

Before taking it for service:

1. Make sure you take a walk around your car, inspect it externally to see if everything is alright.
Repeat without fail while taking the delivery.

My car was banged by the delivery boy. I never located it while taking it for test drive (never bothered to inspect)

When I went back to take my car after 2 hrs found a huge dent on the rear running board. Informed the service station and they refused to accept. Next day a call from service station requesting me to leave the car for free repair (propably that person would have accepted his mistake).

Good one MM

Last edited by Surprise : 25th March 2008 at 16:20.
Surprise is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2008, 17:18   #6
Team-BHP Support

Good points, but i usually fill up to the brim before service its like, i dont care about few liter of petrol or diesel but i trust you guys and you will do a good job with the car.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2008, 17:19   #7
BHPian

Really informative. Something that will help evrybdy here. make them aware of the dark forces operating in the service stations.
Old 3rd April 2008, 16:46   #8
BHPian

The dark forces are always at play. We just need to bring enough whitener/primer/paint to keep their impact at bay! glad you guys found it helpful.
Old 3rd July 2008, 12:52   #9
BHPian

Nice One.

I just came across this thread while searching for information for my car's first servicing
Old 3rd July 2008, 13:35   #10
Team-BHP Support

This is quite similar but not a duplicate of this thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...il-change.html

Mods: merged, maybe?
Old 6th July 2008, 02:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Great Thread ....

Jaggu... I dont understand your thought process on that one...
Old 6th July 2008, 10:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

great thread also i guess if you do have to leave your car overnight or for a few days you can ask them to use plastic seat covers too
Old 6th July 2008, 10:15   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Great Thread ....

Jaggu... I dont understand your thought process on that one...
Its called TRUST, or the perception of TRUST i gave my mechanics. It has worked for me so far, till date they havent pilfered anything, and if they have taken some amount for cleaning and all, were upfront informing me.

For me a good job is important than few liters of fuel. I would want to avoid a follow up visit to garage more than anything else.
Old 6th July 2008, 10:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Good thread and good inputs. Unless like Jaggu, I still prefer to give it to servicing with only a couple of liters of Petrol in the tank. I never believe these guys as I had bad experience a couple of times.
Old 6th July 2008, 11:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

While all the tips mentioned are valid and must be followed, I tend to go with you Jaggu purely on a factor called TRUST. The same has worked for me too thus far and hope so shall continue.

Apart from the good work that my garage does, what I would like to mention is that quite an amount of loose change is always there in the open in my Scorpio and is not removed when it goes for check-ups. I generally have a fair amount of idea of the amount lying and no pilferage reported as yet.

Though my wife vehemently disagrees with this practice of mine and when she goes to get her ride checked-up, makes sure she stays put till the work is completed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Its called TRUST, or the perception of TRUST i gave my mechanics. It has worked for me so far, till date they havent pilfered anything, and if they have taken some amount for cleaning and all, were upfront informing me.

For me a good job is important than few liters of fuel. I would want to avoid a follow up visit to garage more than anything else.

Last edited by gd1418 : 6th July 2008 at 11:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks