Team-BHP - Swift VDi ABS - first review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Swift VDi ABS - first review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/38650-swift-vdi-abs-first-review.html)

After selling the indica i was looking for a small diesel hatch,requirements were looks,refinement,peppy engine,comfortable front seats and fun to drive.Space and ride was not much concern, i considered a lot of cars and finally i decided for swift diesel,here is the list of cars considered

Getz CRDi -When this car was launched i felt my dream hatch has arrived but slowly the craze faded off.i loved the engine thats same as in verna that i have driven extensively the engine has some serious power but when driving slowly it feels jerky.Ride and handling were good but the ABS was not offered.The car felt dull otherwise,i liked the previous black interiors and i was driving so many hyundai diesels i just wanted a change.

Fabia-When fabia was launched i got the same feeling as with getz dream come true,a proper testdrive with pricelist another dream was shattered.

The car looks good,rides and handles extremely well but isnt as flickable as swift.Space was not a requirement for me.Interiors are best in the class but for this price it isnt value for the harn earned money.The engine is very loud and clattery and its lacks in the punch too,NEXT.

Fusion-I liked the looks and the concept,interiors are good(see i am not very choosy when it comes to interiors)ride and ground clearance were best in the class,the car felt very rugged and engine is very refined but lacks in punch though its very responsive and drivable,CONFUSED.

Palio-Everything felt good,the multijet was refined,i could live with those dumb brakes and not so great gearshift,handling was good but i cant live with those interiors they remind me of 2001 ,seven years later they color them beige and trying to sell it to me,NO.

Why Swift?- Looks turned me on,i loved the steering,gearshift is nice,very refined engine that is peppy too,ABS is optional,WOW.

Report-Ill try my best not to compare it to elantra(it costs double and belongs to several segements higher but its the other car i drive and i am used to it)

Exteriors-Everybody is used to it,looks are subjective lets move on to next topic.

Interiors-Space is very limited at rear,i just need the front 2 seats,boot is a waste for me i use it rarely so looking from my point of view i love the shape of the dashboard,the new meters from Dzire are fresher too.Plastics look good but i know they will start rattling soon,it doesnt feel as well put together as getz or fabia.I can point out a lot of loose bits in the plastics.

The front seats are very comfortable and not height adjustable.Steering is not adjustable.

The drive and performance-The engine is very refined(more than elantra obviously)the clatter is very well suppressed.Turbo kicks in at ~2000rpm but the turbo lag is lesser compared to getz and it requires lesser gear changes in urban cycle.The engine is sufficiently powerful(no monster here as some other owners describe it)which along with the nice steering which weighs up decently at speeds(lacks some original feel of hydraulic units though)and the exciting handling makes the car very fun to drive at every corner of every street.
The OE 165 tyres are the worst i have ever seen,everytime i brake hard ABS cuts in,anywhere i corner hard they lose grip(ive heard they scream in 2nd while accelerating,its the poor tyres not the engine power) so i got rid of them as soon as i could,i have shifted to 16"rims along with 205/55R16 tyres.Ride in urban envoirnment is still tolerable.

The brakes are good(not even close to elantra in this department) and ABS cuts in later than on hyundai cars.High speed stablity is good but not awesome,dont try to corner hard at very high speeds the car becomes unstable a bit and it doesnt like bumpy corners much.

On my trip from chandigarh to delhi the car delivered a very nice 22kpl.

Swift VDi ABS - first review-dsc03217.jpg

Swift VDi ABS - first review-dsc03218.jpg

Swift VDi ABS - first review-dsc03236.jpg

Swift VDi ABS - first review-dsc03283.jpg

Swift VDi ABS - first review-dsc03290edt.jpg

Anshuman congrats on your new ride ! Nice pics too ! would request you to put up some pics of your alloys in the daylight ! Cheers!

Yeah! please post some daylight pictures and congrats on your new ride.

Quote:

Why Swift?- Looks turned me on
For most of us it was the engine.

congrats Anshuman, for your new ride. The more you drive her, the more you will fall in love with her.

Congrats! Looks nice ;)

One thing 205/50/16 would have been a better option but I guess its not that big a difference.

Swift really needs atleast 16, but I couldnt afford the premium on that size. Rims look bling dude, post some better pics for us to drool !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by s0uljah (Post 803138)
Congrats! Looks nice ;)

One thing 205/50/16 would have been a better option but I guess its not that big a difference.

Swift really needs atleast 16, but I couldnt afford the premium on that size. Rims look bling dude, post some better pics for us to drool !!

I went for 55 profile for the sake of better ride as both of them have minor difference in circumference compared to oe.

205/50R16 - -1.32%
205/55R16 - 1.99%

Congratz and thats all bling mobile i say :)

neat ! thats the word I will say .. the new set of rear lights look cool and seems a perfect blend with the white 'dress' ! congrats mate .. have a safe drive

Congrats on your new buy. Looks cool. Post some more pics of rims and if any modifications done in interiors.

Congrads Anshuman. Another swift D owner into the club. Do we have a count of number of Swift D owners on this forum. I am sure it would have crossed 250 at least.

I love the engine Swift D comes with and this affection has just increased multifolds over time. It has now becomes fairly quite (Noise levels from engine has reduced considerably) but the hunger for power/torque is increasing every day. Best for long drives on good highways.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselFan (Post 803374)
Congrads Anshuman. Another swift D owner into the club. Do we have a count of number of Swift D owners on this forum. I am sure it would have crossed 250 at least.

250 :Shockked:

I doubt even 25 have it on the forum. :)

Yeah the new tail lamps are much better!

Thanks a lot guys,Here are some daylight pics as requested by some bhpians.

Swift VDi ABS - first review-dsc03316.jpg

Swift VDi ABS - first review-dsc03315.jpg

Swift VDi ABS - first review-dsc03314.jpg

Congrats bud! Thats a lovely car. Nice rims too. The car feels much more driveable and alive than the Palio MJD atleast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by .anshuman (Post 803064)
.Plastics look good but i know they will start rattling soon,it doesnt feel as well put together as getz or fabia.I can point out a lot of loose bits in the plastics.

Thats one thing you would have to watch out for. From what I've seen on my friend's Swift D. When the car was new, it all felt very tight and nice, no noise from anywhere. Just 6000 kms later, almost everything in the car seems to be making a noise... boot, dash, and even the suspension!
I have yet to hear any sort of rattling on my 5 year old 21K kms done Palio.
Anyways, wishing you miles and smiles of trouble free driving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by .anshuman (Post 804706)
Thanks a lot guys,Here are some daylight pics as requested by some bhpians.

Attachment 10319

Attachment 10320

Attachment 10321

Congrats Anshuman.!
Nice choice of rims.