Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2008, 13:14   #1
BHPian

Never expected this from Chevy Spark

At first, please let me make it clear that I have always been a Spark fan as it is clear from my other posts on T-BHP. My brother bought Spark LS on my recommendation 2 months ago. The car has clocked 1.5k kms. The sad part is that the car already has had a major repair job done & was in GM service centre for 3 days (Shiva motors, Noida). Before I uncover the whole story, let me pen down the likes and dislikes about the car.

1. Needless to mention: ultra smooth engine, the main reason for us for buying spark.
  2. Value for money: host of features in 3.4 lakhs like power steering, digital clock, both side internaly adjustable ORVM, remote boot and petrol lid opening, front power windows, wheel caps, rear parcel trey, high mounted stop lamp, body color bumpers, door ajar warning, 3 years warranty with free service, spares, labour and consumables!
  3. Nice dual sound horn.
  4. Fresh looks, the centre mounted instrument console being the 'in thing' internationally.
  5. Storage space under the steering and dash.
DISLIKES:
  1. Hydraulic power steering in the age of electronic or 'motor driven' power steering!
  2. Poor quality of plastic used in door handles, RVMs, wiper blades etc. The plastics have already turned 'white' unlike in my swift which are jet black even after 3 years!
  3. The accelerator pedal 'pulsates' while driving. It moves on itself at times af if the car is not following your command and is taking its own decisions. Upon asking the GM guys, they told this to be a common problem in Spark & U-VA.
  4. A.C is not 'extremely chilling' types, nowhere near the Alto's A.C or even Swift's for that matter.
  5. Brakes are inferior as compared to all maruti cars. Not very confidance aspiring.
  6. Turn indicator stick on the left side! I often land up turning the wipers on instead of indicators. You need to keep your mind open to operate the indicatiors unlike in most Indian cars where this action is spontanious.
  7. Though the engine is quick, it never listens to you. E.g if I drive my Swift with a heavy foot, the engine responses accordingly by understanding the curves. i.e the ECM gives 'Power on Demand'. But no such feeing in Spark. The acceleration remains same no matter how hard you floor the pedal.
Now for the real part!

Around 10 days back, I started getting a feeling that the speed of the car in not increasing in sync with the engine RPM. The problem aggrevated within 2-3 days. Sounding like a clutch problem, I took the car to GM service centre. They took the test drive & clarified that there was no reason for the clutch to wear out so early. Thery simply said 'Please leave the car with us for 2 days & we will rectify the problem'!!

They refused to disclose the reason & insisted that I collect my car after 2 days. I (stupiditly) left the car with them & made a surprise visit after 3-4 hrs. What I saw, gave me intant goose flesh!

The fellows had opened up the entire 'gear box' of my new car! Frustated, I went to the service centre manager, who told that the 'oil seal' in the gear box has leaked, leading the gear oil to enter into the clutch plate & the pressure plate.

I was totally taken a back as I never expected this from a brand new car. I was further told that this is a 'common problem' in Sparks and can be attributed as a manufacturing defect. Also, my was the 6th such case in the last 3 months!!

Never the less, the GM staff was cooperative and promtly resolved the issue by relapcing the oil seal and the entire clutch assembly. But this incident had totally shaken my beliefs in the relibility of Spark!

Last edited by akash_m : 29th April 2008 at 13:16.
Old 29th April 2008, 13:28   #2
BHPian

All said and done, dont know why but I still love my Spark!
Old 29th April 2008, 13:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

:-) Thats how it is. I still love my Matiz after all that she's been through !!

Well this is certainly news. Oil seal leaks? Looks like its not a one-off issue either or probably the service centre guys where trying to inspire some confidence saying its a normal issue that can be fixed.

Dunno, why you would want EPS. HPS works fine enough and inspires a lot of confidence especially if you are a fast and zippy kind of driver.

Get a good polish for the plastic/vinyl surfaces. Apply them regularly. Get a good make of sun film which will prevent your interiors from fading.
Old 29th April 2008, 13:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
All said and done, dont know why but I still love my Spark!
guess you are the flame for the spark. But still very sad that there should be a gearbox issue within months. Did you try writing to GM asking for a replacement since they agreed it is a manufacturing defect ?
Old 29th April 2008, 13:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

The oil seal is the culprit.
GM's QC on rubber seems to be bad.
I've had this issue when I rebuilt my sumo's engine.
our n_aditya had this issue in his esteem because of which he needed a new clutch.
Old 29th April 2008, 15:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

@ akash_m >>
There is nothing to be worried or frustrated about. The spark is a really good car choice inspite of your dislikes. the problem as you have mentioned can happen to any vehicle anytime, although its new, regardless of brand or model. Leave it to the dealer to sort it under warranty, but do make sure you have a proper jobcard and other proof of work done on your car. You certainly cannot reverse your buying decision now. So keep the faith and be patient. It will all work out well.
Old 29th April 2008, 15:41   #7
BHPian

Hey akash_m,

Please do send out a mail or fax to GM Head Office on the same.

Regards,
Sajan
Old 30th April 2008, 00:26   #8
bkm
BHPian

Mine Spark has by now moved over 1300kms. The engine is super smooth . Gear is becoming smooth more and more . All in all a satisfied buyer . The mechanical problem can occur once in while in any car . With 3 year warranty , no tension on this account should be there.
Old 30th April 2008, 18:39   #9
BHPian

Akash, sorry to hear about bad experience with your new car. Now that problems are fixed, hope that things are okay now.

My Sparky is now 6 months old and I have done almost 4000 kms, most of which is long drives. I have also driven on very bad roads.

I have just done 1st (5000 km) servicing and had nothing to complain (I am not at all satisfied with servicing done by GM dealer, Sundaram Motors). Plastic and rubber parts may not be of great quality, but still look new on my Sparky.
Old 10th November 2008, 17:20   #10
BHPian

Godd, you must be devastated looking at your new Spark with its gearbox opened. That is one thing no one wants to see his car go through. Do not forget to write about this to GM. I mean, who wants an opened up car no matter how much you are in love with it, that too when it is brand new. But on the bright side, your car is new and will give you good service, don't let that little operation scare you. Your car will make a full recovery and I hope these things do not happen with anyone.
Old 10th November 2008, 18:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Akash, how's the Spark holding up now? No other issues? I'm thinking of getting one.

abhi1309, how come you suddenly gave life to this thread? :-)
Old 8th June 2016, 15:19   #12

Re: Never expected this from Chevy Spark

Hi Guys,

I recently noticed, when I drove my Chevy Spark in a rocky and uneven surface in around 10 KM speed in 2nd gear without using a clutch, my brake suddenly became hard when I put my foot in the brake pedal for 2,3 times and did not stop until I press clutch and then brake again
(This is happening consistently now i.e the car does not stop when I press brake pedal 2,3 times without using a clutch in 2nd gear in 10-15 km speed)

I explained and shown the problem to the Chevy service center guys, they are saying its the normal behavior of any car...

Has any one experience any similar problem like this ?
Old 9th June 2016, 11:19   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danychris View Post

Has any one experience any similar problem like this ?
I have also experienced this many times when i try to apply brakes while the 2nd gear is engaged. At first I thought it was only my car but later even a friend raised the same question about his Spark. And now even you have. Wonder what kind of engineering is this. My nearby FNG also does not have a clue how to fix this.
skyrocket003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 00:35   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
At first, please let me make it clear that I have always been a Spark fan as it is clear from my other posts on T-BHP. My brother bought Spark LS on my recommendation 2 months ago. The car has clocked 1.5k kms. The sad part is that the car already has had a major repair job done & was in GM service centre for 3 days (Shiva motors, Noida). Before I uncover the whole story, let me pen down the likes and dislikes about the car.

1. Needless to mention: ultra smooth engine, the main reason for us for buying spark.
  2. Value for money: host of features in 3.4 lakhs like power steering, digital clock, both side internaly adjustable ORVM, remote boot and petrol lid opening, front power windows, wheel caps, rear parcel trey, high mounted stop lamp, body color bumpers, door ajar warning, 3 years warranty with free service, spares, labour and consumables!
  3. Nice dual sound horn.
  4. Fresh looks, the centre mounted instrument console being the 'in thing' internationally.
  5. Storage space under the steering and dash.
DISLIKES:
  1. Hydraulic power steering in the age of electronic or 'motor driven' power steering!
  2. Poor quality of plastic used in door handles, RVMs, wiper blades etc. The plastics have already turned 'white' unlike in my swift which are jet black even after 3 years!
  3. The accelerator pedal 'pulsates' while driving. It moves on itself at times af if the car is not following your command and is taking its own decisions. Upon asking the GM guys, they told this to be a common problem in Spark & U-VA.
  4. A.C is not 'extremely chilling' types, nowhere near the Alto's A.C or even Swift's for that matter.
  5. Brakes are inferior as compared to all maruti cars. Not very confidance aspiring.
  6. Turn indicator stick on the left side! I often land up turning the wipers on instead of indicators. You need to keep your mind open to operate the indicatiors unlike in most Indian cars where this action is spontanious.
  7. Though the engine is quick, it never listens to you. E.g if I drive my Swift with a heavy foot, the engine responses accordingly by understanding the curves. i.e the ECM gives 'Power on Demand'. But no such feeing in Spark. The acceleration remains same no matter how hard you floor the pedal.
Now for the real part!

Around 10 days back, I started getting a feeling that the speed of the car in not increasing in sync with the engine RPM. The problem aggrevated within 2-3 days. Sounding like a clutch problem, I took the car to GM service centre. They took the test drive & clarified that there was no reason for the clutch to wear out so early. Thery simply said 'Please leave the car with us for 2 days & we will rectify the problem'!!

They refused to disclose the reason & insisted that I collect my car after 2 days. I (stupiditly) left the car with them & made a surprise visit after 3-4 hrs. What I saw, gave me intant goose flesh!

The fellows had opened up the entire 'gear box' of my new car! Frustated, I went to the service centre manager, who told that the 'oil seal' in the gear box has leaked, leading the gear oil to enter into the clutch plate & the pressure plate.

I was totally taken a back as I never expected this from a brand new car. I was further told that this is a 'common problem' in Sparks and can be attributed as a manufacturing defect. Also, my was the 6th such case in the last 3 months!!

Never the less, the GM staff was cooperative and promtly resolved the issue by relapcing the oil seal and the entire clutch assembly. But this incident had totally shaken my beliefs in the relibility of Spark!

Hi Akash. Found your post while being faced with an appparent clutch issue, and a general unpleasant feeling due to constant replacement of major parts at high costs for my 2009 Spark that's done 25K kms just now. How was your Spark experience, ride wise and cost-wise after that scary start?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks