Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2008, 22:29   #1

Xeta GLG- 1000 Km Review

Dear Friends,
This is my review after owning the Xeta GLG. It is one month old now and I drove 1000 Km. Let me place my experience which may of much use of a newbie.
General:
Audio System: Due to my tight budget I installed front door speakers and Unbranded CD audio system with remote & having AM/FM,CD, USB and Memory Card reading facility. It is running fine till date. Memory card is more useful and easy to handle than Pen drive.
Remote Electronic Locking: I installed Nippon system from TASC on the same day. It is going good except It was giving Multiple chirps while locking after parking the vehicle. This is the sign that either doors is opened or some other error is there. Problem solved by service Engineer during the first free service. Actually in GLG the it requires 5 seconds for door lamp to shut down. If we press the button before 5 seconds it give multiple chirps and if we press the lock button after 5 seconds one single chirp is there.
Front Power Windows: It is good option. I can put the window glass up & down with ease. But a negative factor is also there. It is not operational without putting ignition Key on. In hot season one has to bear the brunt of heat upto the time you put open handle/gear lock, ignition key, on and pressing of button. 2 to 3 minutes in heat chamber. In manual operation it is take less time. I feel that these may be delinked from ignition key control and should be operative with ignition key at off position.
I may get the power windows for back doors also.
Head light Control: Tata has given a good option in their cars. Head light are operative only with ignition key at on. This is very useful option. In my previous vehicle It happens many times during rainy season or at heavy rain pour, I forget to switch off the head lights due to haste . resulting the battery discharged and forced start(Dhakka Start).
Wipers: Tested in One of the rainy day recently. Working fine.
Doors Operation: No problem except thud like sound while normal closing. Closing sound is not smooth as Maruti/ hyundai vehicles have.
Gear Shifting: Gears are smooth, Not require any effort and is as usual as all petrol vehicle have. The metallic handle knob is not a good provision as per Indian condition. It become very hot in the vehicles which park in sun and most probably this will be abnormally cooler in winter season. I have to get it changed. Tata should take care off this provision in future cars.
Engine Running: No problem except the vehicle stuck at night 10 PM near my home on the day I got fixed the Audio system. Check Engine Light was not showing during ignition. TASC people called and Vehicle was towed to service station by them. Got back the vehicle next day at 9.30 AM. As per Tasc Service engineer, some electrical coupling gets loosened during fixing of audio system. I also got a call from Tata people to know the service experience of the dealer within three hours. It was a good gesture on part of Tata. No other problem faced till date.
Engine sound is smooth and almost negligible at idle speed.
Fuel Efficiency: Got checked it give 13 to 14 KM/l with 50 % AC. Still not used to gear shifting. Generally forget to use 5th gear. I am now paying attention to use 5th gear as soon as I can to get better fuel efficiency.
Driving Comforts: It is comfortable. Less jerks. AC power is good. Keeping blower at 1 to have a feeling of Morning cool blowing air and enjoy music. Openness feeling is there while driving. Family members enjoy riding. No negative comments so far from them.

Registration Problem: You cannot find engine No. engraving in the engine compartment. Registration clerk refused initially to accept application without pencil print of engine No. After intervention of other applicants of Indica he satisfied that Tata only pit Chassis No in metallic Tag in Engine compartment. Got registeration No. this week.
Experience at Service Centre: On 10th May, my vehicle completed one month and I got a call from Dealer, Joshi Autozone, on 9th as a reminder. I went to service station on 12th at 9.30 AM. Service Engineer Insisted that I shall use some Tata approved Engine oil additive and Petrol additive costing 699 and 500 bucks each. I was not kept my self pre-ready for such type of queries. After some thoughts I agreed to go for petrol additive. Washing and cleaning work is done satisfactory. No other work required to be done. Got back vehicle after two hours. No bad experience so far except the additive found to be costly. Plan to buy and put additive my self for future use. After sale service is good so far. Expecting a call from Tata also, but not get till date.
Additional Accessories Required : There is no space to put Bisleri/Mineral water bottle in the car. It is a must requirement. Tata must try to add this feature in the coming models and may provide at cost in older models.
Dear friends, I shared my one month experience with you all. I Hope you find it useful.
Regards
Nirmal Kumar
Xeta GLG, FE 13.5 with 50 % AC till date
Old 19th May 2008, 06:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

hey, i was able to put one of those rectangular shaped pearlpet bottles in the door pockets
Old 19th May 2008, 08:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on a new and truly value-for-money car. I too own a Xeta GVG done 31,000 km.

The gear knob problem is really bad in the summers. And its not easy to fix either as the entire gear lever will need to be replaced and not just the knob at the top. I have spent a lot of time and effort looking for a solution so i know.

Please check your user manual. The first servie for the Xeta is 6 months or 5000km. Thats when they put in the engine oil additive. Could the service schedule have been changed? Its unlikely because mechanically your car should be the same as my Dec. 2006 model.

Put the water bottles between the driver seat and the handbrake. It doesnt require much force and it holds. Convenient too. Try it.
Old 19th May 2008, 13:50   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
Put the water bottles between the driver seat and the handbrake. It doesnt require much force and it holds. Convenient too. Try it.
I had been using this method in my previous vehicle.
But this is being provided in other vehicles.I think GLS/GLE has this provision.Anybody having GLS may comment upon.
Service routine is revised for new vehicles by Tata Now. First service is now after 1000 Km or One month whichever is earlier.
Nirmal
Old 20th May 2008, 08:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good review with to-the-point detials. You have pinpointed small but improtant details.
Old 12th June 2008, 21:53   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalkumar View Post
But this is being provided in other vehicles.I think GLS/GLE has this provision.Anybody having GLS may comment upon.
Yes GLS has two holders just in front of the gear lever. But these cup or bottle holders are not very much suitable for bigger bottles though i must agree that these are much better than what Maruti provides in their cars as default option.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks