Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2008, 00:25   #1
BHPian

Finally bought a car.. Here in the US...

So, I was out of the drivers seat for a while. But came last thursday and I jumped into it.. That too on a Brand OLD Honda Accord.

Brand old Means, It is really brand old. I was 10 when the car was made. Now I'm 27.

The car is a 1991 maroon Honda accord LX. 2.2L, MANUAL. it was tough to get a manual here in the US.The price was just 500$

Now the funny part the car has 286200 miles on its original Engine.
286200!!!!!!!

I actually went to test drive the car for a friend. He wanted a clunker and some chick was selling her 5 speed Accord. saw the car, there is rust on the rear quarter panels and boot lid from the cold salty roads. They put salt on the roads so that the snow would melt away.and one side mirror is held on by duct tape.(it is power and it still works)

Hmmm bit checked the underbody and all those stuff... there was no rust amzingly..

Then started it up. THe engine felt like it was on my 60K kms done Zen.
Revved it... It spun wheels on 1st for around 5 meters.the shifts feel abit vague rather than the suzuki (worn shifters). but she slotted in precisely.
Revved it.. and within no time i was on 55mph on 3rd. and later on a straight stretch it went upto a 90 and was still accelarating.

Wel I thought.. this is mine.. Nobody else is going to take this.. I got out of it and i wrote a cheque for 500.

So one fine afternoon I went out and bought a Honda Accord

P.S:- I drove it for 200 miles non stop and it gave me a good mileage of 37.5mpg. from a 285K old engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Finally bought a car.. Here in the US...-1.jpg  

Finally bought a car.. Here in the US...-2.jpg  

Finally bought a car.. Here in the US...-3.jpg  

Finally bought a car.. Here in the US...-4.jpg  

Finally bought a car.. Here in the US...-5.jpg  

Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2008, 00:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the new car Jomz. And you did a wise thing by going in for an Accord. The reliability on these cars is bullet proof and I am not surprised that it is still going strong after 2,86,000 miles. Service it regularly and this Accord will go on and on without a hiccup. Nice colour too. Manuals are hard to find since most of the people out there drive automatics.
Old 29th May 2008, 00:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is one of my Fav. accords of all time,a friend of mine had it in 1996,for the first time i came to know and saw the automatically retractable side mirrors,congrats buddy,it looks as good as new,drive safe mater and $500 is a very good deal hardly 20k in india are you selling me for 90k
Old 29th May 2008, 01:04   #4
BHPian

Great deal mate. I too have an accord here in the US, done 180k miles and still going pretty good. I have heard of stories about Accords doing 400k miles (is that 6Lac km?) so, if the car was maintained well you should be good for a long time with regular oil changes.
Old 29th May 2008, 01:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

congrats JOMZ on this wonderful buy.

its a steal at this price and looks still very neat.

and i have seen lot of CIVIC/ACCORD in US done 3 lac to 4 lac miles but still going strong.

i dunno why they are more popular in asian community maybe cos of VFM.

Enjoy the ride and drive safe.
Old 29th May 2008, 01:11   #6
BANNED

i have paid more than that for my camera phone and you got youself a freaking accord. when will india become normal like this and not think over its head.
Old 29th May 2008, 01:24   #7
BHPian

thanks all guys...

3L-4L miles... Wow those were one nice cars. I'm sure they don't build cars like that anymore.

My cousin in Chicago has a 1999 accord- manual.. It sort of started drinking oil at 140K.. but still runs tight.... He is sort of lax on maintanance maybe that is why.
But he got it for $6500 in 2006

And Jesal .. I paid more than my car for my camera, over here too.
Old 29th May 2008, 01:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

That is one hell of a buy Jomz & the first Accord I lusted after! I remember seeing her in grey belonging to a business associate of ours in '95, was a 2.0 with an auto! What a beautiful shape & sight in those days!

Have fun with her!!
Old 29th May 2008, 01:31   #9
BHPian

One of my first lusted cars.. irags... If any mallus are seeing this, Mohanlal was driving an accord in the 1986 movie "Raajavinde makan". I always wanted something simliar. a don with an Accord.. that too from movies which I've seen as a kid.

I saw the accord and it reminded me of that. and she asked for 500. I thought well.. one of my old dreams coming true. :-)
Old 29th May 2008, 01:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
One of my first lusted cars.. irags... If any mallus are seeing this, Mohanlal was driving an accord in the 1986 movie "Raajavinde makan". I always wanted something simliar. a don with an Accord.. that too from movies which I've seen as a kid.
In the same boat but different years eh Jomz!! She's lovely & the colour is fantastic! have fun!!
Old 29th May 2008, 01:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Chetaa! Car looks sweet.
Btw, lovely new clear-lens headlamps.
Old 29th May 2008, 01:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi Jomz,

Congrats on your Old New car It looks as good as new in the pics posted and its one hell of a deal you have got. Enjoy your car and drive safe!!
Old 29th May 2008, 01:59   #13
BHPian

No nitrous anna.. Honda that year made headlamps out of glass.. Not polycarbonate plastic.. So they are actually clear glass... All 91' Honda's have similar great looking headlamps..

I thought she had a shunt and replaced them.. but when i looked it up.. Wikipedia article on Honda Accord said so. on 90-93 hondas

"This was one of the first US production cars to feature optic reflectors with completely clear lenses on the headlamps replacing the more conventional sealed beam styled lighting. Unlike most manufacturers moving away from traditional sealed beam lighting, Honda chose to transition to a multi-reflector headlight style while maintaining the use of a glass lens instead of polycarbonate as is most common today"

Last edited by Jomz : 29th May 2008 at 02:02.
Old 29th May 2008, 02:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

Good find man Jomz. I should find something like this for me as well.
Old 29th May 2008, 03:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

Car looks sweet. My cousin's hubby has a 99 accord V6 auto and he odo now shows 240,000 miles

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks