Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2008, 01:18   #1
BHPian

The 1.6. How I bought a Fiat car

Hi,
Before I start off about my car, a little bit about me. You see, what car you buy is linked to who you are (or who you want to be). I am a resident pathologist, currently in AIIMS. I am in Delhi for the past 6 years, I am from Bangalore originally.

A car-buying story can be told in so many ways, but our story has one beginning. A car is a must in Delhi. Or so it has become, if you have a small kid and you haven't taken any holidays for a long, long time. 17 years of riding bikes of various types on Bangalore and Delhi streets was enough , I was getting a bit bored on the road. And more and more irritated by the sun, the rain, the winds, the dust, the people (especially the spitting type). Some of you might be surprised - after all, why should anybody justify a car purchase? But lots of people think this way. That probably explains why Bangalore is overflowing with two-wheelers, for example.

Initially I had decided to buy the Sx4. The first Maruti with looks worth writing home about, with ABS and airbags. I thought that if I managed the finances 'deftly', I would have a big car in my hands at the end of 5 years. The Great Indian Sedan Dream. Then comes T-BHP. I read excellent reports on the SX4 (sathya_nars, amit, itnerd, randomgyan and others). But the final authority (wifey) did not approve. This, after one-and-a-half month of getting loan documents ready and submission to State Bank of Mysore, after loan application rejection by State Bank of India (SBI). The cold feet developed after months of saving up for the margin money!

I used this new-found opening to hit for the 1.6. Why? One thing I found about the Fiat car owners is that they love their cars. Among other things, it's sort of like deriving pleasure from self-flagellation. Love your Fiat even if your Tata/TVS service station tortures you. In all my riding about in Bangalore, I liked my Hero Puch the best. The bike would die on me every time it rained, then require hundreds of kicks to start. All this when my girlfriend was with me. But it would let me be the fastest on Super Talkies Road, beat RX100s at traffic light drags, do wheelies without being asked for and look good all the same.

I saw a bit of the Hero Puch in the 1.6. After 7 years of a staid Splendor experience, I wanted a fun car.

Anyway, I booked my vehicle at Vivek Automobiles, Mathura Road after visiting Sanya Automobiles, Defence Colony. I took a total of three test rides, once even in the Palio 1.1 (the sales guy at Sanya took me around in it, saying "sir, woh gaadi bhi aise hi hai, toda sa engine powerful hai"). I was told of a waiting period of 10-15 days but there was no sight of the vehicle after 20 days. Then some phone calls. The vehicle arrived on the 26th of May, and I went with family in tow on the 27th for delivery.

Now the fun starts. During the PDI, (me with the TBHP list), the sales person and I simultaneously notice a screw-top driven into the rear right tyre. The sales team swings into action immediately and before I could realize what was happening, I had agreed for the vehicle to be driven to a nearby puncture shop for the tyre to be fixed. We drive 3 kilometers from the showroom and the punture-walla pulls out a huge screw from the tire and hastily fixes the puncture. We drive back and take delivery, but the insurance papers are not ready (they are ready but the office closes at 7 pm), the registration is not ready (some Form 34 thing). My friend and I question the dealer about the warranty coverage and the fact that we are being handed a defective already punctured tyre. But he replies that a puncture can happen anytime and it doesnt mean that a tire replacement would be necessary. And the idea that after all the puncture was discovered by the sales person himself plays on my mind; we are all tired and exhausted by then so we just take the car and leave.

A day later (29th), I reach the Institute campus in the morning and the same tire has run flat. I was so pissed off with myself, for having picked up the vehicle in the state it was.. Here I am, with a flat in a vehicle which is not registered in my name yet, with no insurance documents. I had messed up the essentials! I called the sales person immediately and told him that I would needing a replacement for the tire. I also called Mr. Rahul Jain, Area Sales Manager based in Gurgaon, whom I had kept abreast of all developments during the entire booking process and informed him of the situation.

I reached the service station. The dealer replaced my yet-again punctured tire with a new one, handed the insurance over to me, took Form 34 from me and fixed mudflaps.

I was helped, in all probability, because the dealer must have received a firing from the management. But after all the drama, I have what I wanted - a defect-free car at delivery (touchwood). I would still say that my booking and dealership experience was OK, because the entire experience (apart from the puncture and last-minute bungling) was fairly smooth.

Anand
Old 30th May 2008, 06:11   #2
BHPian

Congratulations buddy, on the 1.6 purchase, I have driven a 1.6 GTX sometime back, and what a monster it was. Please keep us updated on how your ownership experience is on the same, by the way, what was the OTR price in Delhi, what colour is the car, some pictures of the same would be fantastic.
Old 30th May 2008, 07:02   #3
BHPian

Welcome to the world of 1.6

Congrats on the newest member in your family. Please do post some pictures whenever possible.

SX4 to Palio 1.6, now thats a good jump. I can understand your hero puch analogy, as I used to have one in my PUC days in Mysore. You wont be disappointed for sure. That extra oomph factor will always be there in your life.

Be prepared to get a lot of comments like SAKKATH CAAR MAGA !!!
cheers:

Last edited by eclectix 1st : 30th May 2008 at 07:05.
Old 30th May 2008, 09:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arajand View Post
Hi,
You see, what car you buy is linked to who you are (or who you want to be).
you said it... its true..

congrats on the purchase, run-in well...

FIAT, always....
Old 30th May 2008, 09:43   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the purchase of the 1.6. I agree that 1.6 is a fun car. Seems like your experience with the legendary A.S.S started 'during the sale' itself and not 'after' the sale.

Enjoy the beast buddy.. nothing like the 1.6 -- on this side of 5L

Few Questions :

- What color is the car?
- Where are the pictures?
Old 30th May 2008, 09:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the world of FIAT... Do post pics of your beast...
Old 30th May 2008, 11:16   #7
BHPian

welcome to the world of 1.6's

Am sure you will love every bit of driving 1.6. take her for a long drive during some weekend, you will love this car more than ever before
Old 30th May 2008, 11:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Doc on your new Palio 1.6!

Enjoy driving the Italian beast!
Old 30th May 2008, 18:27   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I like the car you bought but more than that, I enjoyed reading your post. Well-written! Congratulations on the hot hatch. How about a review of the car and some pictures?

Drive safe.
Old 30th May 2008, 18:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats.... few people have the guts to go with their heart!

Enjoy the drive.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 30th May 2008 at 18:43.
Old 30th May 2008, 19:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats man .... nice write up
Old 30th May 2008, 19:53   #12
BHPian

Congratulations Buddy!!! Enjoy the drive and every bit of it.
Old 30th May 2008, 20:10   #13
BHPian

Nice Intro and Report post rolled into one Congratulations on your new car. Enjoy her responsibly

ps: Any idea why SBI rejected your application?
Old 30th May 2008, 20:29   #14
BHPian

waah! It was fun reading your post, mate! congratulations and welcome to fiat club. Its a very good purchase, just drive safe! I can understand the frustration (?) of getting trouble with new car but as you said..in the end, you get what you wanted. And these kind of trouble are more to do with the person whome you dealing with than the car or car comapny. I have got my car serviced at vivek quite a few times and my experience is decent. Having choosen fiat as a first car myself, it really enjoyed reading following lines from your post-

Quote:
Originally Posted by arajand
You see, what car you buy is linked to who you are (or who you want to be).
Quote:
A car is a must in Delhi
Quote:
One thing I found about the Fiat car owners is that they love their cars. Among other things, it's sort of like deriving pleasure from self-flagellation. Love your Fiat even if your Tata/TVS service station tortures you
Quote:
But after all the drama, I have what I wanted - a defect-free car at delivery (touchwood).
Old 30th May 2008, 21:03   #15
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the car. I guess its time for the pictures. Welcome to team-bhp.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks