Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2008, 14:41   #1
BHPian

Chevrolet Magnum LS - Delivered

got the delivery of my parent's optra magnum 2.0 on wednesday. it was raining heavily but we all were happy get it and the feel of driving it was wonderful. as we had not got the permanent regn no, my parent's suggested that i keep the car so that i can drive in new bombay area atleast.

i drove the car for about 30 kms or so and when i reached home, i needed to reverse park my car to get into the slot, i was shocked to see that i could just not move the steering to park it. as i was driving the diesel for the first time, i wondered if it was anything to do with it. nevertheless i parked the car, though with grt difficulty as the steering felt very very hard.

next day morning again i experienced the same thing and i asked my husband to check the same and he said that it was definately not normal. as i was anyways going to the showroom to get the regn number plate installed i thought that i would get it checked so my husband too did not check further.

with grt difficulty i reached the workshop, they installed the number plate and a service advisor was called and he took a trial of the car and confirmed that there was a problem. when they opened the bonnet, i see that there is no oil at all in the power steering canister. they had to use atleast a litre of Power steering oil to top it up. the engineer again went for a trial and my worst fears came true. there was a major leakage of the power steering oil and they told me that the whole assembly needs to be replaced.

i was very angry and demanded to speak to their general manager. at first i just told them that i wanted a replacement of the vehicle as it was only one day old but deep in my mind i knew that this would never happen.

secondly this is a under warranty/under cashless service offer so they will have to replace the same for me FOC.

they told me that they will have to keep the car for three days atleast as i cant drive it with oil gushing out immediately after refilling and they dont have the assembly with them and they have ordered the same from halol.

they car as on today is in the workshop and is expected tommorow evening.

i did give them a big lecture on how they should have done a proper PDI of the vehicle before delivering but may b e it was my bad luck that things did not work out the way i wanted them to.

and sad.

Mansi
Old 13th June 2008, 16:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Mansi,
I agree that they should have done a detailed PDI but looks like you are unlucky.
Anyways dont worry as the car is fantastic in all areas.
I understand your feeling when you paid over 10 lacs.
Just call up GM care and inform them about the problem with the car.
Hope you get the car soon.

All the best.
Old 19th June 2008, 11:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Mansi.

The car looks sweet and as i told you yesterday - a TD is in the offing today

Hope the PS issue has been sorted out now and you are enjoying the car.

Keep updating the thread regularly.
Old 19th June 2008, 11:47   #4
BANNED

Can't drive the new car? Thats a bitter experience moving from NHC. Hope it ends here.
Old 19th June 2008, 12:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the New car.
I can understand the frustration you would have after paying 10L. But I also wish it would be just for few days and you will start enjoying the car sooner.
And yes, I was also wondering how you missed the t-bhp PDI lists. Nevermind, all for good. Enjoy your new car!!!
Old 19th June 2008, 12:12   #6
BHPian

Hi Mansi,
You got one hell of a powerful and amazing car there( I have been a fan of the car for a while now)...The power steering leakage is just plain bad luck!
Anyways congrats on your new ride!
Regards,
TG.
Old 19th June 2008, 12:19   #7
BHPian

Hey there, Congratulations on your New Buy!! Optra is a beautiful set of wheels,i know as i myself own one but it is a 1.6 LS 2005. The power steering problem should not have happened, make sure you report this to GM. Anyways i hope you have got the car back and are enjoying the drive.
Old 19th June 2008, 12:49   #8
BHPian

thanks to all for your wishes.

i am sure i have made a right choice for my parents. it is much better then driving the nhc and on par with my accent as far as the ride quality is concerned.

i too was always a fan of optra and wanted very much to buy it when we got the nhc but it is better that i waited as i couldnt have got a magnum then.

i got the delivery of my car on saturday after the problem of PS was sorted out and the car is wonderful to drive, with small cons which i will mention when i write a detailed report of my experience. i am going to be driving it till end of this month and the feeling is superb. by then i would have another new car on my hand ( m i10 is coming in a few days ) so till then i can enjoy the optra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Congrats Mansi.

The car looks sweet and as i told you yesterday - a TD is in the offing today

Hope the PS issue has been sorted out now and you are enjoying the car.

Keep updating the thread regularly.
take ur TD before this month ends. then i might not have the car with me.

so just hoping ur "today" comes today.

Mansi
Old 19th June 2008, 14:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Mansi.

Good to know your PS issue has been sorted out. I'm happy that you are enjoying your new car to the fullest. The car is very torquey and rocket to say the least. Do keep updating this thread with your ownership experience and yes some pictures needed as well. If you cant click them, tell Gautam to do it that is IF his 'today' comes today.
Old 19th June 2008, 14:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Mansi, Glad to know the problem has been sorted out.

BTW - After driving the Magnum for a few weeks, you will not be too happy with the i10 !!
Old 19th June 2008, 15:09   #11
BHPian

First let me Congratulate your parents for having this car
But one thing I didn't understand is that, how did you manange to drive the car for 30kms without feeling the hardness in the steering? and moreover how did u manage to drive the car to the dealer when all the oil have been drained? coz' I have the experience of driving a car without PS oil and beleive me it was a like someone poured concrete on the base of the steering, well, you should be a strong women though.
Old 19th June 2008, 15:14   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Congratulations Mansi.

If you cant click them, tell Gautam to do it that is IF his 'today' comes today.
i doubt if his "today' will come today but i am glad to have received this suggestion of getting the pics clicked from you. having rudra's sir's teachings of photography, gautam might be able to do a good job of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Congratulations Mansi, Glad to know the problem has been sorted out.

BTW - After driving the Magnum for a few weeks, you will not be too happy with the i10 !!
magnum is for my parents, i10 is what my husband is buying for me, so i10 will be equally important and i have loved the feel of driving it too during my test drive.

cant wait for it to come home.

Mansi

Last edited by manaa45 : 19th June 2008 at 15:19.
Old 19th June 2008, 16:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45 View Post
i doubt if his "today' will come today but i am glad to have received this suggestion of getting the pics clicked from you. having rudra's sir's teachings of photography, gautam might be able to do a good job of it.
Rudra taught me photography ? And now you tell me !

Well my today hasn't yet come but on Saturday I will be there to TD and take some pictures (that will be practice for clicking pictures at the meet )
Old 19th June 2008, 16:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Rudra taught me photography ? And now you tell me !

Well my today hasn't yet come but on Saturday I will be there to TD and take some pictures (that will be practice for clicking pictures at the meet )
let me check if the car and myself are free for u on saturday. i will try to keep it free for u. call me atleast 1/2 hour before u r coming so that i can give a good make up for the car.
Old 19th June 2008, 16:36   #15
BHPian

Congratulations, Mansi. Optra is arguably the best looking car in that segment and with that torquey diesel engine, it is definitely a great buy.
Surprised that the ride quality is only as good as that of the old accent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks