Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2008, 13:02   #1
BHPian

Getz CRDI Test Drive Report

Hi guys,
I was leaving for Cochin last weekend and I thank my good friend and fellow BHPian Lionheart133 for letting me lay my hands on his Brand new Getz CRDI for a test drive, while he dropped me off to the airport,thanks dude.
And to be honest, I was flabbergasted.

I shifted the damn gearstick to second and stepped on the pedal,in a couple of seconds the turbo kicked in and I was pushed on to my seat and the car just took off.... a while later, I had left the other cars well behind. Then shifted it into third and the speedo's climbing alarmingly quickly towards 100. Shifted to 4th, hit 150 km/hr and damn! This is a diesel hatchback! Its not supposed to be doing this! I couldnt shift it to 5th as a traffic signal was zooming towards me alamingly quickly.

The rush this car gave me left me breathless, and what i felt most impressive about it is that without having to pay through your nose for your car's fuel, you can get all the thrills and fun of a 2 litre petrol head.
Say hello to the Hyundai Getz Prime CRDi. Bye bye to climbing gasoline bills.

The ride quality and suspension is decent and the steering inspires confidence at high speeds. Handling was impressive. The brakes where decent, ABS would have been a good addition. I just wished the the car had better interiors as I am not a beige fan at all.

All in all, just 2 things, the fact that it runs on diesel with a kmpl of 15+ and that it made me smile with excitement when I drove it, made me a fan of this car.

Considering that I test drove all the hatchbacks in the current market, I think this one by far is the best buy IMHO.

Good buy Lionheart133, and If anyone is reading this thinking if you should buy this car, dont think...just buy.

Regards,
TG.

Last edited by Torqueguru : 19th June 2008 at 13:19. Reason: spelling error
Old 19th June 2008, 13:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Very Well Said Mate, I just brought me a White Verna CRDi !!

It has left me speechless. One of the best driver cars sold in India, Sheer VFM & Excellent FE with great build quality.

My Only Complaint - they should have Airbags & ABS as standard on all variants.

The Getz at 6 Lacs or so is simply the best hatchback in the country today.
Old 19th June 2008, 14:13   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Getz D is a fantastic hatch; its got great build, power, space and ride quality. The only real downsides are the price, lack of ABS and zero support from the manufacturer. If someone is really not restricted by a strict budget, Hyundai's power hatch is the one to own.
Old 19th June 2008, 14:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

I was told to wait 60 days and hence went for my next choice.

As kpzen puts it: you slam the accelerator and you see sky.
Old 19th June 2008, 14:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
zero support from the manufacturer
I do not understand this point. Please explain. Other points you said are true.

@JKD - Lol - Prajesh says it's a rocket !! I think he gets his in 2 weeks time.
Old 19th June 2008, 14:44   #6
BHPian

thats rightly said dude. the getz is awesome. i have seen the engine bay ..sadly there is no more space left for the ABS unit.. thats why they arent offering the ABS unit but yes a Bosch ABS version 8 can be fixed inside it.. but hyundai uses ABS unit from their own supplier in korea...yuo should see SX4 it has ABS version8 and swift has version 5.xx
try the verna it wont dissapoint you either hehe.

Last edited by sameel : 19th June 2008 at 14:52.
Old 19th June 2008, 15:01   #7
BHPian

@Sameel
I sure will do that.
Considering that the verna has the same engine, I think it would be almost a similar experience. I have sat in a friend's verna before and it didnt exactly inspire confidence in the handling department, especially around corners. I havent taken corners yet in the Getz so cant comment, ahem Lionheart133, are you listening?

Last edited by Torqueguru : 19th June 2008 at 15:14.
Old 19th June 2008, 15:02   #8
BHPian

You are not the only one Torqueguru been flabbergasted, it's actually a whole set of guys who recently bought a another hatch from a competitor, guys are now repenting why didn't they wait for some more time to grab this super hatch and LO am one among them. anyways for guys who have already bought it "happy motoring" grr..
Old 19th June 2008, 15:11   #9
BHPian

I have driven this car myself & its a real cracker. Guess the Fiat 1.6 was the only 1 to come really close in terms of similar performance, but alas this was a very costly proposition considering the dastardly FE.
However the price of this car has always deterred me from putting my money into it + the resale value of the Getz is another damper. There is also possibility of the Getz being replaced by the i20 from Jan 09 onwards.
Old 19th June 2008, 16:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

I own this monster . And i am really satisfied with it.
Old 19th June 2008, 16:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

The power and torque are awesome.
Handling is fantastic in diesel Getz and i have slammed brakes a couple of times and no wheel locks.
My babe is running on Michelin PP's and grip level is excellent.
You will feel king of the road. I happened to talk to some of the swift DDIS owners and after checking my car, they were disappointed with theirs.

Priced higher than its peers but i feel its worth the money.

Prajesh, when are you getting your car? Is it Getz CRDi?

Last edited by djay99 : 19th June 2008 at 16:58.
Old 19th June 2008, 17:52   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

swift VDi is 5.92 lacs. gets 6.7 lacs, the 75k well spent on a cracker of an engine, very practical interiors, superiour build quality, good ride quality, decent handling and last but not the least, its quite spacious too.
Old 19th June 2008, 18:17   #13
BHPian

come getz some

hey TG bro,

waiting for you to come back from "gods own country" and take photos of the car.
i second TGs opinion on the car. its a rocket hatch. the turbo kicking-in is just exhilarating

I have added 205/50-R 15 to the car and we took the drive after

hey btw, thanks a million

TG, anju, djay99, undead and vabs for help
Old 19th June 2008, 18:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionheart133 View Post
hey btw, thanks a million
TG, anju, djay99, undead and vabs for help
Bhai where are the pics, sweets and Initial ownership report?
Old 19th June 2008, 18:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
swift VDi is 5.92 lacs. gets 6.7 lacs, the 75k well spent on a cracker of an engine, very practical interiors, superiour build quality, good ride quality, decent handling and last but not the least, its quite spacious too.
Getz CRDi GVS costs 6.53 lacs and not 6.7 in bangalore.
I agree on all other parts. Getz is a more practical option and the engine is a road rocket.
I would have appreciated Hyundai if they had provided atleast rear defogger and wiper.
I have seen myself that there is NO SPACE available in the engine bay to fit ABS kit. Forget about ABS kit, theres no space to insert your hand

They should have provided rear discs on CRDi version but looks like they are not earning enough money with the current pricing of the car.

Most Viewed