Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2008, 12:54   #1

Yet another Getz CRDi on the forum....

And it is Bright Silver

This is my first post on the forum. Though I must have read almost all the reviews of almost every hatch/Sedan/SUV in sub 10-lakh category and they have been a crucial input to my buying decision.

Will try to avoid opinions/experiences which I share with other bhpians who have mentioned the same elsewhere on forum.

Buying Decision:

Had been meaning to buy my first car since April 2007 but for different reasons (including uncertainty on professional front) the decision was getting postponed. Finally, hunt for that 'perfect car' began in December. The criteria - in no particular order - fun to drive, safe, frugal when comes to fuel consumption (not necessarily diesel). Budget – 8-9 lakh outer limit with any 'have to' mods.

Cars considered - Maruti (Swift, SX4); Honda (City); Ford (Fiesta, Ford Fusion); Hyundai (i10, Getz, Verna); GM (UVA, Aveo); Fiat (Palio). Did give a serious thought to SUVs but realized that didn’t want one as my first car!

Must add that though I love driving, I can not claim to know a lot about cars and engines.

After first round of test drives and desktop research the choice was boiled down to Swift, Getz(CRDi+1.3), Verna and UVA. After another round of test drives in January, was almost convinced about Getz CRDi but started leaning towards Verna because of lack of ABS and airbags in Getz.

However, at this stage had to postpone my buying decision because a planned job shift had added another layer of uncertainty to my future city of abode.

In the meantime Dzire was launched amidst all the hype and was added to my shortlist after a short test drive in early April.

After resigning from my old job in March and resuming at my new work place in April, my car shopping also resumed. However, another development had taked place since January. My wedding was fixed for year end and a realization dawned that will have to buy another car by year end for wifey. Decided to stick to a hatch for now. This would give flexibility in buying a SUV later. Not certain if we would want to have one Sedan and one SUV or two Sedans for that matter. Out of two vehicles we would prefer to have one hatch for city commutes. Further, can also use this period to polish my driving skills in Delhi on a smaller car !

Now, choice was really between Getz, Swift and UVA.

The only reason I was even thinking about anything other than Getz CRDi was ‘perceived’ lack of safety.

Swift - 2 months waiting period didnt help the cause. Had already waited for a year and another two months would have been excruciating.

UVA & Getz 1.3 - A very difficult choice. On basis of driving comfort, handling and even interiors was struggling to pick one. Just that found UVA's looks slightly better than Getz and also it is a newer model which adds to the novelty factor.

However, another test drive sealed the deal in favour of Getz CRDi and I decided to train my mind to live without that ABS and Airbags.

Buying Experience:

Though, the car will be used primarily in Delhi but for future IT saving was forced to buy my car in Ludhiana. Will transfer the registration to Delhi at a later, convenient date.

Car was booked at Pioneer Hyundai in Ludhiana on 26th May and took the delivery last Wednesday (June 18th) with 32km on the ODO. Though I had to wait till Saturday morning before I could get my hands on my precious!

Don’t have a first hand experience with the dealer as my Dad helped me with the booking and delivery. On quizzing he mentioned that he was reasonably satisfied with his experience (except that even after hard bargaining he could not squeeze out any discount/goodies from dealer!)

Financing has been done by SBI for 75% of on road cost @ 11.50% for 5 years on reducing balances and no prepayment penalty. Processing charges Rs. 2600.

Experience so far:

Mods done so far –
1. Underbody treatment (Rs. 1000)
2. Exchanged stock tyres for Michelin XM1+ 195/60 (Rs. 8500 for 5 tyres)

Have driven the car 472 km so far including drive from Ludhiana to Delhi yesterday.

Drive -
1. Drives like a dream. Infact, initially I found the torque scary, especially in bumper to bumper traffic, and was worried that I’ll hit the car ahead. So far hafve manged to resist the temptation and have kept the RPM needle below 3K!

2. Found clutch a little too hard for my comfort.

3. My biggest disappointment so far has been that car drifts significantly towards left if steering is left unattended. Plan to point this out during first service and hope to get it resolved. Would appreciate any pointers.

4. On a couple of occasions ended up down gearing to 2nd from fifth and I could hear the engine growling. Similarly ended up slotting 5th when wanted 3rd on more than 1 occasion and could feel the engine lugging. Hope that is not something serious.

NVH -
1. Hardly any noise filters into the cabin from engine bay.

2. Tyres do make a lot of noise. Not sure if this is normal (with/without upgrade) or there is some problem somewhere. Any suggestions would be welcome.

3. There was some constant irritating noise coming from driver side, similar to flapping of paper though a little harsher. Didn’t find anything apparent. Will investigate during day time.

4. On a few occasions could experience vibrations in gear shift. Didn’t notice any pattern.

Mods planned –
1. ICE (Budget around 10k-15k)
2. Gear lock
3. Seat covers (thinking of art leather but would want to see and feel available options before finalizing)

Will try to update this thread regularly but not sure if my work load and schedule will allow me to!
Old 23rd June 2008, 13:48   #2
BHPian

Congratulations!! Well written and definitely you will enjoy your drive since you are convinced with your decision and its a rocket for sure.

The drifting towards left may be due to wheel balancing/ alignment issue. Since, its new , your delaer should be happy to get it checked. They will call you about your satisfaction during the delivery process. Or else, please, get it checked at some good place where the automatic machines are there. they will give you a report and also,some warranty/ free check up for a month or more.
Old 23rd June 2008, 13:48   #3
BHPian

Congrats!! Im sure it is a great car even though I have not driven it yet.

Get those small issues sorted out ASAP. Hyundai's service is known to be good generally.
Old 23rd June 2008, 13:53   #4
Team-BHP Support

Was the drifting on the NH1?
If so, its normal. The NH1 is constructed with a slight "tilt" so that water does not stand on the road. The downside is that you drift towards the left.
Try driving on a straight road without any tilt(Lots of such roads in Delhi) and see if problem is there.
Old 23rd June 2008, 13:54   #5
BHPian

Congrats Boss. Yet another pocket rocket on the forum. It is Getz Crdi country here. Enjoy the power responsibly especially since i understand this is your first car ??
Old 23rd June 2008, 14:06   #6
BHPian

Congratulations! Take good care of her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kviv View Post
4. On a couple of occasions ended up down gearing to 2nd from fifth and I could hear the engine growling. Similarly ended up slotting 5th when wanted 3rd on more than 1 occasion and could feel the engine lugging. Hope that is not something serious.
This is not good for the engine (especially during run-in) as the rpm would change drastically. For slotting into 3rd or 4th gear, you need not push the lever sideways - just slot the gear into neutral and push forward/backward to 3rd/4th.
Old 23rd June 2008, 14:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the Getz CRDi Club @kviv.

Quote:
Found clutch a little too hard for my comfort.
It will get better after few thousand Kms.

Quote:
On a couple of occasions ended up down gearing to 2nd from fifth and I could hear the engine growling. Similarly ended up slotting 5th when wanted 3rd on more than 1 occasion and could feel the engine lugging. Hope that is not something serious.
You will get it right after sometime . Correct it as you are straining the engine by doing that mistake.

Quote:
Drives like a dream. Infact, initially I found the torque scary, especially in bumper to bumper traffic, and was worried that I’ll hit the car ahead. So far hafve manged to resist the temptation and have kept the RPM needle below 3K!
In slow bumper to bumper traffic mostly use the first gear to move around , in 2nd gear the car will just shoot away till the rev reaches 800 rpm . So be careful .

Quote:
Tyres do make a lot of noise. Not sure if this is normal (with/without upgrade) or there is some problem somewhere. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Are you sure ? I am still running in stock tires and there isnt too much of noise. You have fitted Michelins and its hard to believe that they are making noise.

Quote:
There was some constant irritating noise coming from driver side, similar to flapping of paper though a little harsher. Didn’t find anything apparent. Will investigate during day time.
Take the vehicle to the service center and check it out.
Old 23rd June 2008, 14:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats kviv. Enjoy the beast and drive safely.

You mentioned about tire noise. Is it after upgrading to Michelin XM1+?
My Getz CRDi is running on Michelin PP's and they are quite silent. XM1+ must be super silent compared to PP's.
Old 23rd June 2008, 14:31   #9

Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayatarizona View Post
Enjoy the power responsibly especially since i understand this is your first car ??
Yes it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If so, its normal. The NH1 is constructed with a slight "tilt" so that water does not stand on the road. The downside is that you drift towards the left.
Yes, the road was indeed NH!. Will check on a straight road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
This is not good for the engine (especially during run-in) as the rpm would change drastically. For slotting into 3rd or 4th gear, you need not push the lever sideways - just slot the gear into neutral and push forward/backward to 3rd/4th.
The mistake I was making was 2nd to 5th and vice-versa. Thanks anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
You mentioned about tire noise. Is it after upgrading to Michelin XM1+? My Getz CRDi is running on Michelin PP's and they are quite silent. XM1+ must be super silent compared to PP's.
I didnt drive my car with stock tires so cant compare. But to me sound does seem to be emanating from tires. Will notice again.
Old 23rd June 2008, 14:35   #10
BHPian

I am really keen on this car, but cant get a test drive anywhere in Trivandrum.. what to do...

Congrats on the buy... drive safely and update this thread..
Old 23rd June 2008, 14:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!!

Great choice. It is raining Getz CRDI in Team-BHP these days.
Old 23rd June 2008, 14:42   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
I am really keen on this car, but cant get a test drive anywhere in Trivandrum.. what to do...
I think the story is same everywhere. I think it has been suggested elsewhere on the forum. For interiors, handling, ride comfort, etc. try Getz 1.3 and for engine performance drive Verna CRDi. Well I tknow its not perfect and to an extent a leap of faith if you actually end up buying.
Old 23rd June 2008, 14:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats !
Many GetZ Crdi.
it's tempting to buy the car immediately pals.
But... some personal issues sustained me to buy.
let's see.
I finally concluded the searching.
Either Fiesta D Zxi/Sxi or Getz Crdi.
Old 23rd June 2008, 16:41   #14
BHPian

Just saw the Hyundai salesguy near my office and talked to him about the Getz CRDi..

The car is priced at 6.17 OTR in Trivandrum.. I was surprised, guess this is the Ex showroom price...He also informed that I could get the rear discs and ABS done for an additional 25K... that sounded great. Did any of you guys have this option? If so did any one take it?
Old 23rd June 2008, 16:48   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
.He also informed that I could get the rear discs and ABS done for an additional 25K...
This i highly suspect. Till date everybody has asked for this option, but were not able to get it. I suggest you confirm about this and post.

If this is true, there will be lot of happy Bhp'ians

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks