Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2005, 18:00   #1
BHPian

Euro III WagonR

One of my friend took delivery of a new "wine red" euro III VXi model today. It took around 2 hours at mandovi for delivery process. As far as sales goes, there is nothing much diff between, sundaram and mandovi. These sales guys are pretty good. Got things done pretty much on time. Got a coupon for 5 ltrs of petrol and of course one ganesh idol from dealer. The extras that came from maruti are the danger triangle and a set of halogen head light lamps. Only grudge my friend had was that the car that was delivered to him was the display piece he had seen earlier. But then he was behaving as though it was his newly wed wife. And hence there was only a feeble of protest from him.

There is some debate here about this cars boxy look. My opinion is that a fully loaded black wagonR is sexy. The problem is with the lower trim models with those black bumpers, where they look nasty. Now this wine red, a new color introduced along with euro III, with roof rails and all looks pretty neat.

I am not sure what modification interior has gone thru over the euro II, but they are good. The door trim fabric was pretty neat looking for a small car. Have to say that there is nothing cheap I could locate at all.

Surprise! Surprise!! The Euro III model comes with decently loaded security system, and keyless entry as standard on VXi trim. That clearly shows what good a competition can do... Also they have also put in 32-bit ECM. No idea why a simple humble car needs this much amount of processing power.

Now I was driving it from mandovi on the way back to office on airport road. Have to remember that this is a tall boy model. And that, I am 5'10", there was loads of room left over my head. No idea why they made such a tall, tall boy model. The negative part of this enormous space above the head is that it takes a big hit on handling. I was going thru the same curves where certain certain people here did some 100+, and I was doing only about 40 or so. And the car was getting this top heavy, body roll or what ever you want to call it. Though this was very mild, at 40kmph, this is clearly not acceptable.

And then there is this gear shift and steering. Which are so light, that they made me feel like I am driving some kind of a toy car. With 4 people and AC on, there was only a slight of hesitation on taking off at 1st gear. The car is pretty sleek and easy to drive in traffic. Overall I would say that this is a neat little city car which at times needs some care full handling. Needs a slightly fat rubber and a strut brace may be...

Now this top end model costs ~4.5. And after deductions and accessories the final cost came to ~4.3lkh (will have to check for the accuracy of this part). Comparing this with a top end santro model which comes to 4.7 before any deduction, I wonder why there are so many santros on the road and so less of wagon R.

Last edited by gkrishn : 10th March 2005 at 18:02.
gkrishn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2005, 20:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn
There is some debate here about this cars boxy look. My opinion is that a fully loaded black wagonR is sexy. The problem is with the lower trim models with those black bumpers, where they look nasty. .

Infact.. i like the exterior looks of any new wagonR (with roof rails) more than that of Santro.
Put a decent spoiler at the rear.. and the looks of the car are dangerously beautiful!..

Gkrishn, what about the dashboard? I heard the new vxi comes with an option of a different dashboard. And what about Airbags and ABS? Did your friend opt for them?
Old 10th March 2005, 22:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey

Heard Hyundai launched a bottom end SANTRO @ 2.69 Lacs !

anyone care to throw some more info on this ?
Old 10th March 2005, 22:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Santro at 2.7 lakhs? man thats going to hurt maruti bad.

btw nc...does that signature have to do with personal experience?

Drifter
Old 10th March 2005, 22:32   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Needs a slightly fat rubber and a strut brace may be...
that's true of every car in india all the way upto the c segment and the economy stock tires that they provide...

beyond that, i think the wagon r engine is very refined - more than the santro and fun to drive - though the new santro now has some serious weight and dimensions to help it hold the road better than the wagon r.
Old 10th March 2005, 22:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
btw nc...does that signature have to do with personal experience?
yeah but not mine ... u know who's !!!
Old 10th March 2005, 22:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
yeah but not mine ... u know who's !!!
yeah i do.

Drifter
Old 10th March 2005, 22:40   #8
bhp
BHPian

i have a wagonR since 4 years now and the best part of it is the electronic power steering and the clutch feels like driving a toy with no effort at all
Old 11th March 2005, 08:46   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
. I was going thru the same curves where certain certain people here did some 100+, .
I wonder who that could be ?
Old 11th March 2005, 11:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

here is the link on the 2.7L Santro

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/1048226.cms

cheers
Old 11th March 2005, 13:05   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
I wonder who that could be ?
Hmm.. It was there on another thread... which has now disapeared!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
what about the dashboard? I heard the new vxi comes with an option of a different dashboard. And what about Airbags and ABS?
Nope. He has not taken them.
Old 12th March 2005, 18:57   #12

Yes I agree that WagonR have good looks, but I have driven Santro as well. I feel Santro steals the show. The power / pickup is better in Santro as compared to WagonR. One more thing...I read in some thread that WagonR comes with 800CC engine modified for 1100CC. This seems to be crazy...I do not know how and if its is true.
Old 12th March 2005, 20:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

it is the 800 cc M800 3 cylinder engine with an extra cylinder that ups the cc to 1061cc and power to 64bhp.
Old 12th March 2005, 21:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

no no sorry guys... you are getting it all wrong. WagonR is not 800 cc M800 + extra cylinder. Its actually F10D International Alto 800 cc +extra cylinder.

I think this has been discussed at length in some other topic. I am unable to locate that topic in which a T bhpian has clearly explained the details.
Old 12th March 2005, 21:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

That article in overdrive which has caused this mayhem about wagonr=maruti 800+extra cylinder is totally false.

Most Viewed