Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2008, 12:12   #1
BHPian

VW Jetta 1.9 Tested!!

I test drove the 1.9 Diesel Jetta yesterday. It wasnt such a long test drive or as detailled as other test drives in this forum but it was a test drive nonetheless.

2 of my friends work in a VW dealership and had been asking me to come
and test drive the Jetta for a long time now.
I finally relented and went for it. I always like the Jetta every since I saw it and liked it even more once I saw it in person. Not too big, very nice clean lines and a certain element of sportiness to it.
Just as my luck had it, as one TD car got free it started pouring cats and dogs so I didnt really have an oppurtunity to rip it.

The car overall seems very solidly built; from the door thud to the switches inside. It comes standard with a 10speaker system which to my mind made FM sound pretty good. The inside of the car has a certain build quality to it which I have only seen on the Astras and Octavias. I was quite impressed with the interior.

However, looking into the back seats, they seemed rather low as compared to other cars. Made me feel that if I were to sit in them I would be
in a knees-in-the-chest situation. Wasnt able to actually check this as the rain and other people waiting played spoilsport.

The A/c was quite effective and made me feel cold in a matter of minutes. But then again let me remind you that this was not peak Delhi summer situation, it was more like a thunderstorm prevailing at the time.

I put on the parking lights which led to my instrument cluster lighting up in blue, which looked quite nice. The parking lights which are just a strip of lights in the assembly also looked really nice.
It had a nice light steering and made taking turns quite easy; cant really say how it would handle at high speeds. The overall size of the car also is not so overwhelming so I didnt have such a problem going in and out of lanes.

Coming to the engine, I felt it was quite a let down. I felt it was pretty underpowered and you really had to press the accelerator to get it moving.
My friend said this was because I had just stepped out of a petrol engine and this was diesel. Somehow, I didnt quite really buy that. I have driven my dad's Skoda a number of times and that just rockets once you press the accelerator beyond a certain limit.
However, the sound of engine wasn't too loud when I gunned and I wasnt able to hear it inside when it was being driven normally. No such vibrations or the likes coming through to the cabin.
Again, Im not too sure if everyone would have the same thoughts as I did; would be nice if someone could let me know.

The horn is quite loud and sounds pretty much like a Skoda horn. I flashed my lights a few times and the halogen projectors did a good job.
The turn indicators on the mirrors also looked very classy and added to the overall impression the car leaves on you.

I test drove the base diesel which was for Rs. 15.45 on road Delhi.
I know this is a very hap-hazard write up but the rain added to the chaos so didnt really get a good look at the car.
Hope someone else takes a TD and can write a more detailled report!
Old 19th August 2008, 09:43   #2
BHPian

Jetta - the wind didn't quite blow

A decent review there. Umm, in general, we feel that Jetta is a let-down car for the VW family. The build quality isn't up to the marks and neither is the performance and comfort. When inquired about, we mostly recommend VW lovers to work-hard and buy a Passat or even a Bora.
Old 19th August 2008, 11:13   #3
BHPian

nice review there..
why VW came out with underpowered engine is beyond my understanding. They should have come out with powerful engines for jetta to differentiate it from octavias and lauras.
Old 19th August 2008, 17:11   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice initial report. Most of your points are spot-on. The rear seats are not a good place to be in the Jetta. You probably felt the diesel was not that responsive due to the turbolag (also in the Laura).

Quote:
Umm, in general, we feel that Jetta is a let-down car for the VW family.
Yup, even in the States, the Jetta is viewed as a poorly built high-maintenance car. The Skoda Laura, which has near identical mechanicals, has not exactly given its Indian owners a trouble-free ride. It is difficult to ignore the new Accord's value proposition in the same segment. Sales numbers indicate that customers are in agreement.
Old 20th August 2008, 01:16   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You probably felt the diesel was not that responsive due to the turbolag (also in the Laura).
True, but isnt that in the Octavia as well? I mean, only once did I feel a slight bit of increased acceleration in the Jetta; whereas in the Octy you just get pushed back. Am thinking of going back on a non rainy day and probably test drive the petrol to be able to compare the two.

Last edited by aah78 : 20th August 2008 at 02:11. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 20th August 2008, 02:18   #6
Team-BHP Support

here's another TD report:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...st-driven.html (VW Jetta Test driven.)
Old 20th August 2008, 09:30   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
the Jetta is viewed as a poorly built high-maintenance car.
Thats because the US Jetta's and Golfs (GTI excepted) are built in Mexico. Build quality had supposedly improved now. Mexico is the sole producer of Jetta's globally. Our kits come from Mexico - hence the wording on the ad - "German engineered"
Old 20th August 2008, 09:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

The underpowered engine is a big let down. (calls for Pete's Box or a remap) They should realize that the 1.9 TDi comes in an Octavia whose base price starts at 10.3L Ex-Showroom Delhi.

I would not pay 5L more for the same / similar engine. Though in the looks department it has a fresh/er look for sure.

I have not driven the car so cannot comment but those who have seem to agree on the "not so great performance"

VW has to be very particular about what they get here and at what price point and the engine specs. Too many cousins lurking around to spoil the party.

Cheers
Old 20th August 2008, 10:23   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
True, but isnt that in the Octavia as well? I mean, only once did I feel a slight bit of increased acceleration in the Jetta; whereas in the Octy you just get pushed back. Am thinking of going back on a non rainy day and probably test drive the petrol to be able to compare the two.
Nice review. If you get another chance, do let us know what the 1.6 L VW petrol engine feels like.
Old 20th August 2008, 11:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

A nice writeup, considering you really dint have the time to extensively examine eveything. You are right about the engine.I just dont get it.It is definately underpowered.The are asking alot of money for a car with just 105 odd bhp.May be they should pick up a leaf from Hyundais or GMs book that performance diesel engines do have a market.
Old 20th August 2008, 12:23   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
True, but isnt that in the Octavia as well?
The Octavia 1.9 TDi has almost zero turbolag. Its a pretty amazing unit for an old-school diesel.
Old 21st August 2008, 20:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Octavia 1.9 TDi has almost zero turbolag. Its a pretty amazing unit for an old-school diesel.

Totally endorse the POV. That is probably one of the reasons for its phenomenal success...

When I drive my Skoda 1.9 TDi even today I still wonder - the re-map has taken it to another level , but honestly even the stock car was a bang for the buck !!!

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks