Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2008, 19:55   #31
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all the tips during the running in period. I found the BHP thread on the same topic very useful and read it 10 times before I bought the car.
I have done 1200 KM and will be driving up and down a hill this weekend - to Kodaikanal and back. Any tips on how to treat the car?
Old 25th September 2008, 20:36   #32
Senior - BHPian

Request response on ownership

Hi Benji,

I'm someone who is planning on getting the Vista, but have been thinking and also considering other hatchbacks. One of it happened to be the U-VA, which I test drove today.

I felt the vehicle to be a bit sluggish, in terms of power delivery.. Was ok with the gearshift; didn't seem to be a issue for which I'd reject the car..

Can you tell me how you've felt with the car's ownership so far? I haven't owned a petrol vehicle yet, [owned an Indica DLS prior] so could you tell me if the vehicle drinks a lot of fuel or is frugal?

The Aveo U-VA has as much space as the Indica [and also maybe the Vista, with the Vista being a little bit roomy], but the UVA seems to have more boot space room compared to the Vista.

If I finally decide on a petrol hatchback, it could be a U-VA LT. So, your inputs and advice will really help a potential buyer..

Thanks. ak..
Old 26th September 2008, 20:29   #33
Senior - BHPian

I havent driven a Vista - so I cant do a first hand comparison.
In the run-in period I really havent revved my UVA much.
I did find overtaking on the highway sluggish at times.
It was more sluggish than the Swift which I have testdriven.
The Vista Petrol seem to have slightly lesser torque than the UVA (but at a lower RPM)
From reviews the Vista interiors and drive quality are way better than the original Indicas, but probably the same as the UVA.
Also the Vista does not have ABS or airbag options.
The Vista is a lot cheaper (petrol) than the UVA.
My mileage on the UVA was 16kmpl for the first 500 odd kilometers (predominantly highway) and then 12 KMPL (predominantly city). I have the Ac on 95% of the time.
I would recommend you test-drive the Vista if you want a first hand feel.
There are a few Vista thread here and it could be useful too.
Old 9th October 2008, 23:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

Bootspace

I just thought I'd put in some pics of the boot with luggage.
These pieces of luggage (2 suitcases, 3 bags) all fitted in without having to remove the parcel tray or obstructing the rear viw. I also tucked in the car body cover and the tool box beneath the boot mat where the spare tire is kept - they fitted into the hollow of the wheel without a problem.
Incredibly ambitious & incredibly spacious - My Icy Blue Chevrolet Aveo U-VA 1.2 LS-luggage1.jpg

Incredibly ambitious & incredibly spacious - My Icy Blue Chevrolet Aveo U-VA 1.2 LS-luggage2.jpg

This was the actual luggage we fitted in. There's a chair in the bacground to compare size - sorry but I dont have any other way to show the size.
Incredibly ambitious & incredibly spacious - My Icy Blue Chevrolet Aveo U-VA 1.2 LS-luggage3.jpg
Old 9th October 2008, 23:11   #35
Senior - BHPian

Update: We met with an accident on the highway when my dad was driving. Besides a terrible ordeal at the police station the car also has a major dent on the bonnet and the side and paint loss in the bumper.
Very upsetting.
I have given the car in today for repairs through insurance and will update you all with before and after pics and costs.
I'm pretty much mad at cyclists and policemen this week.
Old 10th October 2008, 10:37   #36
BHPian

Hi Benji, sorry to hear about the accident, hope that you people escaped unhurt.
Old 10th October 2008, 18:26   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I havent driven a Vista - so I cant do a first hand comparison.
In the run-in period I really havent revved my UVA much.
I did find overtaking on the highway sluggish at times.
It was more sluggish than the Swift which I have testdriven.
The Vista Petrol seem to have slightly lesser torque than the UVA (but at a lower RPM)
From reviews the Vista interiors and drive quality are way better than the original Indicas, but probably the same as the UVA.
Also the Vista does not have ABS or airbag options.
The Vista is a lot cheaper (petrol) than the UVA.
My mileage on the UVA was 16kmpl for the first 500 odd kilometers (predominantly highway) and then 12 KMPL (predominantly city). I have the Ac on 95% of the time.
I would recommend you test-drive the Vista if you want a first hand feel.
There are a few Vista thread here and it could be useful too.
Benji,

Thanks for your inputs.. I was indicating at the Vista Quadrajet when I mentioned the car [not petrol]..

I have taken the test drive of the U-VA and find it to be a bit sluggish.. No offense, but a little more power would do this good looking car a lot of good... The boot space is good though, better than the Vista [only negative point of the Vista that is keeping me away from it].

The free cashless ownership is also a tempting offer from Chevy, but I may not buy the car just for it.

I though do like the Getz 1.3 GLX and might buy it, if i20 doesn't launch by 1st week of November..

In any case, thanks Benji

ak

Edit: Benji, sorry just saw your post regarding your accident.. Sorry to hear about it.. I hope no one was injured.. Please take care.. Hope you get your car back soon and in it's original condition. Good luck!

Last edited by k_ajay : 10th October 2008 at 18:30. Reason: adding more info...
Old 13th October 2008, 20:42   #38
Senior - BHPian

The car bonnet is to be changed and a little bit of repainting and repairs. Hopefully I'll get the car back this week.
Old 17th October 2008, 00:50   #39
Senior - BHPian

Benji, sorry to hear about your accident. Glad that everyone's okay.
Had a question about the Hyundai i10 Era and how it compares to the base model U-VA.
My bro is planning on one of these and I wanted to know which would be a better buy. He's interested in the U-VA because of the space, value for money, fuel efficiency and 3year service package.
I thought that if he's ONLY considering these two (specifically those variants), then the U-VA makes more sense, cos he gets a bigger car with body coloured bumpers, power steering and AC for just a bit more than the i10 Era.
Any thoughts?
Old 18th October 2008, 19:32   #40
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion:
UVA base
Pros: more space, more stable, better looks.
Cons: The base model does not have power windows, central locking or adjustable steering while the i10 era apparently has these.
(It will cost about 15000Rs to get these done in the UVA base)
Both cars have AC.

If I were in your brothers shoes, I personally would have stretched my budget and bought the base UVA and fixed central locking and maybe front power windows.
Just out of curiosity, why didnt you think of the i10 magna 1.2 version?

Update on car repairs:
Bonnet was replaced and this caused a delay as the truck bringing it from Gujarat met with an accident (am I jinxed?)
The car will be delivered on monday.
GM has given me their test drive vehicle for the weekend as I need to do some important work and a car to go to some places)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Benji, sorry to hear about your accident. Glad that everyone's okay.
Had a question about the Hyundai i10 Era and how it compares to the base model U-VA.
My bro is planning on one of these and I wanted to know which would be a better buy. He's interested in the U-VA because of the space, value for money, fuel efficiency and 3year service package.
I thought that if he's ONLY considering these two (specifically those variants), then the U-VA makes more sense, cos he gets a bigger car with body coloured bumpers, power steering and AC for just a bit more than the i10 Era.
Any thoughts?

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 18th October 2008 at 19:34. Reason: addent repair updates
Old 3rd November 2008, 00:09   #41
Senior - BHPian

Updates
Repairs: Excellent job. New bonnet has been fixed and the paint matches well. The dents and scratches have all disappeared. The car was waxed and cleaned and the interiors were fully cleaned before they delivered the car!

Mileage:
12 KMPL (full tank method): 150 KM on hills(kodaikanal) + 250 KM in Highway+ 260 KM in city (short trips). Included 2 visits to the workshop and I didnt exactly know how many KM they drove for testing etc.
All with full AC on. My driving style is not too good.

Other notes:
- A few sounds have cropped in (not bothersome) - a high pitched vibratory noise in the front door (near the central locking knob) and a soft rattle in the back door.
- The steering makes a groaning noise (heard in the back) when the engine is on and car stationary and I turn the wheel - especially at extremes. What could be the cause and how do I tackle this?
- With 30psi tyre pressures and only 2 people in the car the ride is a little bouncy and the steering feels a little light. With 4 people on this pressure these dont exist
- I'm not sure what they used in the workshop to clean the glass windows in the car (and windshield) but it now feels slightly oily to touch and is blurry. the windshield is clear in the area where the wipers wipe (after shooting out the water/soap mixture).

Overall I am very happy with the car and really enjoy it. I've picked up one more scratch near the back door, but realise that these will happen however carefully you park or drive.
I've got my permanent license now and the bright red L sign is now off the car!
I'll post pictures of the repair job and some interior pics later this week.
Old 3rd November 2008, 12:27   #42
Senior - BHPian

Hi BenjiRoss,

> - The steering makes a groaning noise (heard in the back) when the engine
> is on and car stationary and I turn the wheel - especially at extremes.
> What could be the cause and how do I tackle this?

That is the power steering. That is there in all hydraulic power steering systems. Don't hold the extreme positions for long.

Last edited by trrk : 3rd November 2008 at 12:32.
Old 8th January 2009, 22:18   #43
Senior - BHPian

Have done about 3 highway trips and a total of more than 3000 KM on my U-VA - not bad for someone who got his license only 3 months ago!
After the unfortunate accident I have posted about earlier, the drives have been uneventful.
I do have a scratch on the right door from a stupid biker who entered a parking lot on the wrong side at the exit side just as I was exiting and turning out.
I got pulled over once for jumping a red light (actually it was amber, but as it was the end of the month....). Escaped without a fine though!
The mileage has been fluctuating and its mostly due to my beginner driving style.
The lowest I have got is about 10 KMPL and on an average about 12-13 KMPL.
The max speed I have done is about 125 KMPH and the car was really steady.
Pickup is a little sluggish but since I am a conservative driver, its not much of an issue for me.
The rattling is quite obvious now on the rear left door and even though I gave it in for checking it has not settled. the front door rattle has subsided after they fixed something. Overall the car build is only average - its not rattle-free and just 3000 KM done!
Handling and driving are a pleasure. I've enjoyed driving the car a lot in December through Chennai traffic and highways and some bad stretches.
I have one major issue - posted it here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...r-my-u-va.html
Its about tyre wear starting on my front left tyre. Gotta get it checked this week.
Not yet done any mods on the car - no money!
I noticed that the stock headlamps are definitely not enough to drive in the dark on highways and even a little mist/fog. Plan on upgrading to more powerful ones.
Still looking for seat covers in Trichy.
Posting some interior pics now:As you can see they are a little drab and dull, but very functional!
Incredibly ambitious & incredibly spacious - My Icy Blue Chevrolet Aveo U-VA 1.2 LS-dsc00457.jpg

Incredibly ambitious & incredibly spacious - My Icy Blue Chevrolet Aveo U-VA 1.2 LS-dsc00458.jpg

Incredibly ambitious & incredibly spacious - My Icy Blue Chevrolet Aveo U-VA 1.2 LS-dsc00459.jpg

Incredibly ambitious & incredibly spacious - My Icy Blue Chevrolet Aveo U-VA 1.2 LS-dsc00460.jpg

Incredibly ambitious & incredibly spacious - My Icy Blue Chevrolet Aveo U-VA 1.2 LS-dsc00461.jpg

The dual glove box is quite an innovative way of making more space to store small stuff
Incredibly ambitious & incredibly spacious - My Icy Blue Chevrolet Aveo U-VA 1.2 LS-dsc00465.jpg
Old 8th January 2009, 22:23   #44
Senior - BHPian

That upper glovebox is where the airbag is supposed to be.
Old 10th March 2009, 10:02   #45
Senior - BHPian

As for the previous problem the front suspension (left) was replaced free of charge (the struts). It was good to get the car back and not pay anything for it. They will also replace the tire that was worn out free of charge.
After the new suspension the car has been driving straight. Not very happy with the suspension though - a little bumpy now.
Have a few minor niggles to sort out when I give in the car today.
Rattle in the rear left door is very nagging now.
The fuel lid is stuck and won't open - I can hear a click when I pull the lever below my seat but its still closed. Luckily I did a tankful 100 KM ago.
The reverse gear is occasionally difficult to engage or slot in. I need to reverse the car everytime to get out of my parking spot - face this problem about 25% of the time, but usually resolves when I try again. I've heard this is a problem in many U-VAs.
Still not done any accessories or mods or upgrades.
I've driven very little in the last 2 months.
Will update after I get the car back from service.
What all should be done at the 6 month service besides Engine oil change

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks