Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2009, 17:48   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
True , i was going to ask the same question.
Are you a journalist by any chance. Because i can only see a journalist doing that long a test.

nice review though. I would rather prefer a manual over an automatic unless its one of the ferraris or something.

These days automatic transmission are pretty much in demand and looks like M & M have an upper hand because AFAIK there is no SUV sub 15 lakh offering an Automatic Transmission
I hope the FORD is listening and get s the ENDY in with an A/T version ! It s sold in malaysia same engine almost same interiors God knows why india is given the cold treatment ?? Cheer s to HYUNDAI for getting the A/T VERNA DIESEL
Old 19th March 2009, 10:33   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
nice review vivek, some more info, as mahindra has launched its new version of scorpio with all MHawk engine in all variants and taken out its 2.6 crde engine, whats the chances of AT version in this new vehicle, still available with 2.6 or started with mhawk now. Also do share any info regarding its hybrid scorpio if you have one.Thanks.

Scorpio AT had been launched in 2.2 mHawk version ONLY and still is in the same.
The base version models 2.6 CRDE have been replaced with similar 2.2 LX model.
Old 1st February 2010, 18:07   #33
BHPian

Gentlemen,

With the arrival of the AT 4x4 Scorpio, the game has changed I am sure TATA needs to something fairly drastic to meet the challenge head on. I feel that the Scorp offers great value for money in the guise of AT and 4x4 and the bells and whistles already there namely tyretronics etc can only sweeten the deal further.

Cheers!
Old 8th October 2012, 18:21   #34
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio Automatic test driven

I bought a Scorpio VLX Automatic 4X4 3 days ago.

My wife and I share a Hyundai i10 Asta Automatic which we drive in Kolkata - 21,000 KM so far. We took the car on a 3,700 KM trip from Kolkata to Mussourie last winter.

The reason we bought the Scorpio is that my wife is stuck at home when I take the (sole) car away for most of the day several times a week. We needed a second car. Incidentally - we do not want to employ a driver - we want to drive on our own.

Our initial reactions to the Scorpio :
- Big, fat car with a commanding view of the traffic
- Gets respect - other drivers do not push us as they do when we drive the 110
- Powerful engine - with the automatic, the engine revs to 2,000 rpm freely, the turbo kicks in, and acceleration is swift.
- Automatic - no hassles in Kolkata's traffic.

We are taking the car to Darjeeling to escape from the Puja chaos in Kolkata.

Why Scorpio ?

Primarily because we finally got a test-drive in an automatic SUV. We tried the Fortuner - no Auto available for a test drive. I didn't want to buy a car unless my wife actually drove it. Only Mahindra gave us the test drive on an Automatic SUV.

Secondarily - my wife loved the car, it happened to be 4X4, we were told that we could get this car immediately, but would have to wait several months to get an Auto 4X2. Darjeeling trip was looming, so we thought - let's go for it - and bought the Scorpio.

Incidentally, my wife has driven SUVs for many years in Dubai and Oman - Ford Explorer and Nissan X-Trail. The i10 was not quite what she wants - sit high and see the traffic ahead.

Looking forward to enjoying the new car !!
benu9714 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2013, 02:52   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benu9714 View Post
Kindly share your ownership experience about your Mahindra Scorpio Automatic 4 x 4.

Would particularly like to know about the ride quality, high speed stability, braking etc. Does it bob around too much making people feel giddy? Up to what speed have you driven and how stable do you feel at this speed? Your opinion on the brakes? Any other thoughts/ comments you would like to share?

Have you driven the new automatic with the Bosch automatic transmission, and if so, how does it compare with yours (I am presuming yours has the previous version automatic transmission)?

Thank you.
Old 16th March 2013, 07:50   #36
BHPian

My experience so far has been very good.

There are some irritating aspects of the design, e.g. rain water from the roof keeps pouring down the windscreen instead of running off to the sides, the driver's door pockets cannot be accessed when the door is closed, the window up-down switches are hard to reach, there is no intermittent wiper setting, etc

However, the car runs very well, is very easy to drive, has lots of power.

re ride quality, I have to confess that I don't know how the ride is for a middle or rear seat passenger at highway speeds, but within town (speeds up to 80KPH) nobody has complained about feeling giddy. Ride quality is very good for front seat passengers.

The car is quite stable. I often use the car's power to weave through traffic at speeds up to 80 KPH, and the car sways a bit but not alarmingly. I have driven at speeds up to 120 KPH on highways, but I wouldn't like to go beyond that. Up to that speed the car feels safe. The brake pedal is a little soft, but hardens up if you pump the brakes. However, braking power is very good, and with ABS there is no worry about skidding.

No, I have not driven the Bosch transmission. My car has the older 'slush box". Sometimes the box doesn't seem to know what to do, and the engine revs a bit before the box settles into the next gear. This happens if you alternate brake and accelerator very qiuickly a couple of times. Other than that, no problem. gear shifts are very smooth, and the engine runs perpetually between 1,800 - 2,000 rpm if you accelerate from a dead stop to 100 KPH in a somewhat gentle manner.

On the trip to Darjeeling I was glad I had taken this car and not the i10, because the roads are terrible. The Scorpio has a tough suspension which does not mind the potholes.
Old 31st July 2013, 13:33   #37
BHPian

Quote:
My experience so far has been very good.
Hi Benu,

Thanks for your insights on the Scorpio AT. I am getting a 2009 model driven for 49k kms for around 7.5 lakhs. Do you think it is a reasonable price ?

Also would you be able to give an approximation on the yearly maintenance cost on a post-warranty Scorpio AT ?

Thanks in advance
Old 31st July 2013, 13:43   #38
BHPian

Sorry, I really don't know the exact answer to either question. However, the Scorpio AT (4X2) must be costing around Rs 13.4 lakhs all in, and hence you are getting a depreciation of only 45% for 4 years - that sounds a little low to me.
Old 6th October 2013, 17:12   #39
BHPian

Quote:

My wife and I share a Hyundai i10 Asta Automatic which we drive in Kolkata - 21,000 KM so far. We took the car on a 3,700 KM trip from Kolkata to Mussourie last winter.

The reason we bought the Scorpio is that my wife is stuck at home when I
Incidentally, my wife has driven SUVs for many years in Dubai and Oman - Ford Explorer and Nissan X-Trail. The i10 was not quite what she wants - sit high and see the traffic ahead.

Hello

First of all belated congratulations on your ride.

Any plans on starting an ownership thread?

Have you had any occasion to use the 4X4 capability and what is your opinion of the same?

Thanks & Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks