Team-BHP - scorpio crde
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   scorpio crde (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/4753-scorpio-crde.html)

i was there yesterday at sai service for the test drive of the scorpio crde which is available only in the top end model of slx .
i felt the car had some nice power and could reach the three figures with ease . being the top end model the car had some nice comfortable and rich interiors which appealed me other than the cheap swicthes and a small dash board .

wat i wanted to know is the crde and crdi technology the same (the marketing executive at the showroom it is the same)

wat is the avearge one could get in a conjusted city like bombay (the dealer promised that the crde will give atleast 10 kmpl in city)

the car has a waiting period of about 4-6 weeks and there are no discounts on the car at all not even some free accesories

the car is priced at 8,41,000 rs on road thane and 8,80,000 rs on road mumbai
is it value for money spending such moolah on a diesel car

the warranty period for the scorpio is 2 yrs or 50,000 kms whichever is earlier and they also have a extended warranty for 2 yrs and unlimilted mileage which they are giving away for 10,000 rs (they are also having a package of 15000 rs which included the extended warranty , dinitrol under chassis treatment and teflon coating ) is it worth going for it ??

the dealer said that an average servicing will cost anything between 1200 - 1500 rs is it true ?? some scorpio owners can help ..

so crde in top end only what about the lower ones. how can one sell older diesels. i thought u had to made all of them crdi to sell. its irritating how india is giving the least amount of features and charging a bomb for the same.

And people thought that the Innova is overpriced? Hell, its the Scorpio thats overpriced at almost 9 lacs on the road in Mumbai.

Yes, CRDe and CRDi are the same technologies. They are termed differently as Hyundai has exclusive rights to the name "CRDi".

I would think that an average of 9 kmpl is realistic in Mumbai.

Nope, the CRDe is not worth 9 lacs. I would recommend you to look at the Innova. If extremely keen on the Scorpio, shoot ahead with the DX / GLX versions.

GTO

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO

Nope, the CRDe is not worth 9 lacs. I would recommend you to look at the Innova. If extremely keen on the Scorpio, shoot ahead with the DX / GLX versions.

GTO

but the crde as i said is available in only slx the top end and has a quite silent engine then the previous one . and the older engine dx model is just 100 k lesser than the crde .

gto as u have a mahindra since a long time how is the maintaince part of m&m is it very expensive or ok than other cars

hey guys, IMHO, the scorpio crde is worth the monies, as it offers much more power and performance than the innova. yes, the quality, fit and finish, rear seat space, handling and brakes aren't upto the mark; but if you drive yourself, and want that butch-suv-'i own the road' look, then innova isn't even in the picture.
besides, the innova is an mpv, not even an muv, forget the suv tag.
until the safari crd-i is launched, i guess the competition is well held up.
and when it'll be launched in the next 2-4 months, toyota better watch out- for lesser price than the innova, fully loaded, the safari will have a 3000cc, turbo, crd-i, 120 bhp+ engine, with more than 260 nm of torque along with the all-important 4x4 transfercase.
my choice? definitely safari crd-i, as, it's as close as you can get to a reliable, butch, comfortable SUV at this price. moreover, safari was india's first true SUV-and still is...

Quote:

yes, the quality, fit and finish, rear seat space, handling and brakes aren't upto the mark
Then what is! I don't see the point in buying the car if all of the above things are missing.

Innova will thrash it.
Theres not much difference in power but ion space, comfort and reliability and even price.

In terms of acceleration, the Scorpio is barely ONE second faster to the 100 vis a vis the Innova. Buttttttttttttttt after 120 km/h, the Innova leaves it for dead.

The only advantage that the Scorpio has is on the looks factor. Everything else, the Innova squashes it dry - build quality, reliability, interiors, comfort, utility, space, ride quality, handling, safety, warranty.

GTO

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjkulkarni
Then what is! I don't see the point in buying the car if all of the above things are missing.

hi rj, i didn't say those qualities are missing, it's just that the innova outruns the scorpio on these counts.

and gto,check your specs man..(specifications, not your spectacles, he..he..he.. :D ) not only is the scorpio quicker to 100 kmph than the innova by 1 sec, it's also quicker to 110 (by 0.4 sec), and 120 (by 0.3 sec). only in 0-130 times does the innova post a lead of 0.48 secs. also, the scorpio has a higher top speed of 152 kmph as compared to 146 kmph of the innova.
the acceleratoin figures are:
0-100: 0-110: 0-120: 0-130:
scorpio:-16.53 - 20.54 - 25.64 - 32.48
innova:-17.50 - 20.96 - 25.98 - 32.03
so, as you can see, the innova DOESN'T leave scorpio for dead after 120 kmph!!!!
also, the scorpio has 284 nm of torque as compared to 205 nm of the innova;and,again, scorpio has a 13 bhp lead, with 115 bhp as compared to 102 bhp.
the torque and power advantage of the scorpio might not be clear from the acceleration figures, but just check out the roll-on figures:
scorpio: innova:
20-40 in 4th: 7.56sec 8.48sec
40-100 in 4th: 17.07sec 19.50sec
as you can see, the 40 - 100 roll-on sees the scorpio take a whopping 2.43 second lead. and don't forget, scorpio has a handicap of 290 kgs over the innova (2wd version, 4wd increases the handicap to 390 kgs);
which reminds me, scorpio comes with a 4wd option; the innova doesn't.
like i said before, the scorpio has a definite advantage over the innova, only in the powertrain dept . rest lie with the toyota.
even though this toyota might score over the mighty mahindra in terms of practicality, the scorpio leaves the battlefield beaten, not battered, and gracefully.

p.s-all figures sourced from autocar india.

veyron, youve got your priorities seriously wrong. Performance is merely subjective when you are talking about vehicles like these. It is utility and space that matter more.
I'm not saying torque isnt important, but it pales into insignificance when issues like FE and practicality are brought into the equation when considering these vehicles.

hi islero,
it's not a matter of priorities man-it's question of preference, which car outshines the other, and in what parameters. i am just implying that if a person like me were given the choices, i would go for the scorpio, as i would be driving the car for 99% of it's lifetime with me, and there aren't more than 2-5 people in my car (including me), most of the time.
and as for utility, like i said, it depends upon individual needs. one who goes in for a scorpio, intentionally, would not go for the innova, and vice versa, because both serve different purposes to the owner;one is an muv/suv (in 2wd and 4wd guises) and the other is an mpv, basically a comfortable people carrier, nothing else.
and as for the fuel efficiency, both have an overall F.E of 11.5 kmpl, with the scorpio giving 9.7 and 13.4 kmpl on the city and highway respectively, and innova giving 10.3 and 12.7 for the same respectively.
and for practicality, hey, no other people carrier gives more bang for your buck than the sumo victa turbo!
so, like i said, between the scorpio and the innova, the innova is a clear winner, but still, on different counts. i agree, performance is merely subjective for vehicles like these, but then, why does the endeavour sell more than the cr-v ? is it because of impracticality? no, it's a matter of choice, and preference, coz, a guy who can afford an endeavour can clearly afford a cr-v. but like i said, it depends upon his choice and preference. and i'm not talking about one being petrol and the other being diesel, of course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by veyron1
it's not a matter of priorities man-it's question of preference, which car outshines the other, and in what parameters. i am just implying that if a person like me were given the choices, i would go for the scorpio, as i would be driving the car for 99% of it's lifetime with me, and there aren't more than 2-5 people in my car (including me), most of the time.

dude just get a hatch back like getz or mid size car ikon 1.6 or OHC if there r only 2-5 people in the vehicle .......and u get max bang for ur buck !

the suv's arent meant for performance - subjective or objective !

:D

hey bhp ,

i own a 2004 dx . i haven't ever posted a review on it as i m sure i will get warned soon after that due to the amount of slang i might just use in it lol: .

the fuel efficiency i get from my car is about 8.5-9 in city with the air-con switched on most of the time . performance wise even the old engines are really good and if i were you i wouldn't pay that extra 1.3 lakhs for the crde .

i m not saying that just because i own a dx , but i just personally feel that the scorpio is not worth anything more than the 8 lakh mark , infact even the older slx was a serious put off to for me , mainly due to the voice assist system .

my car has done a little more than 20000 kms and is working fine . there are a couple of small little problems which should get rectified once the car goes for its third service on monday , but no serious issues at all , about the top speed , i have done i 155 kmph (speedo reading ) , and it runs smoothly in serious traffic conditions too , the engine is simply superb ( one major reason why i picked the scorpio over the safari ) and the lag is more or less absent . the air-con is fantastic too . the only thing that i'm not satisfied is the braking , it isan't really upto the amrk , i m sure mahindra could work on that aspect too . overall i am really satisfied with my car .

but you have to decide what you really want an suv or a muv . if it s an suv just go in for a scorpio glx/dx which are much better value for money than the crde (atleast i feel that way ) . if you want to go in for an muv nothing comes close to the innova .

i m not too good at writing stuff , so if there are any other queries you have let me know .

manson .

Quote:

Originally Posted by normally_crazy
dude just get a hatch back like getz or mid size car ikon 1.6 or OHC if there r only 2-5 people in the vehicle .......and u get max bang for ur buck !

suv's arent meant for performance - subjective or objective !

:D

hey man, can you drive an ikon or a getz over broken roads at 100 kmph? i say so coz i've seen a lancer busting his strut trying to keep up with my safari (heh...heh..remember the ad-"never follow a safari driver-make your own road"; well, guess what, i make my own road!!!).

and hey, do you know of a certain lamborghini, which was, and still is, the only high performance SUV that boasted of 400 bhp+, 0-100 in about 6 secs, and top speed in excess of 240 kmph? yes, i'm referring to the big ol' lambo, the lm 007!!

and man, this is India, so i'd prefer a high performance (there's that term again :D ) SUV to a sedan anyday; the sedans just can't take the sort of abuse dished out by our roads, at least not at the speeds that i drive in!!

but yes, i would always have a sedan for my true performance needs, but as a second car!! in fact, i'm going in for one any time now....

and if i had to choose an SUV, i would buy the brabus or amg kitted merc ml 320, or 270 cdi; or maybe the bmw x5 3.0d or 4.0p;or the 5000cc v10 volkswagen touareg;or the porsche cayenne......

but until i have that sort of moolah, i'll have to make do with my safari, or the upcoming crd-i, or the fortuner......

and manson, if the engine is the only reason you bought the scorpio, (i know, the existing safari's engine's a little sluggish, to say the least...!!!) you might want to check out the upcoming new safari, with the 3.0 crd-i engine; trust me, i believe it's well worth the wait,(well, i'm waiting for it anyways) and the moolah.

Quote:

Originally Posted by veyron1
hey man, can you drive an ikon or a getz over broken roads at 100 kmph? i say so coz i've seen a lancer busting his strut trying to keep up with my safari (heh...heh..remember the ad-"never follow a safari driver-make your own road"; well, guess what, i make my own road!!!).

and hey, do you know of a certain lamborghini, which was, and still is, the only high performance SUV that boasted of 400 bhp+, 0-100 in about 6 secs, and top speed in excess of 240 kmph? yes, i'm referring to the big ol' lambo, the lm 007!!

and man, this is India, so i'd prefer a high performance (there's that term again :D ) SUV to a sedan anyday; the sedans just can't take the sort of abuse dished out by our roads, at least not at the speeds that i drive in!!

but yes, i would always have a sedan for my true performance needs, but as a second car!! in fact, i'm going in for one any time now....

to each his own !!

but i cant understand where you make your own roads ? if you go off roading ...fine !!

and a performance SUV ( that term again) in a traffic congested city like bbay ....where are you gonna speed ........and besides a performance vehicle should have good handling and great brakes ..more so in a country like ours ......which the scorpio seriously lacks !!

anyways ......as i said to each his own !

cheers