Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2008, 02:55   #1
BHPian

The Lamborghini LP640 Roadster Experience

What is that highlighted warning area on the speedo? I have been seeing it since quite some time now and have been kinda scared by it. But, nothing has happened so far; touch wood. Umm, let me check the speedo; it says... oh, okay, now I am scared – 205mph. As far as I recall, the moor-cee-EH-la-goh, the bat, the ferocious Lamborghini has been warning me since I hit 190mph. Wait, let me get this right. It is warning me of the dangerous speed only when I have reached 190miles an hour... right – the Lunatic Pervert 640. Oh sorry, the LP640 Roadster where LP doesn’t stand for what I mentioned. LP stands for Longitudinale Posteriore saying its 6.5 litre, V12 engine is longitudinally-mounted.

I am sick and tired of well-known car journalists (a few are even friends of ours) who start reviewing a Lambo like this: “Yes, the new Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 Roadster. Will it be any good? Now, that it is adopted by Audi, will it be more sensible like an Audi and less crazy unlike a Lambo? That’s exactly what happened to the Gallardo, isn’t it? Hope this one is good.” Read gentlemen: Lamborghini realised that long time back. That’s why the Murcielago, the LP 640, the Superleggera, the Gallardo Spider did not disappoint. And, this one, the LP 640 Roadster is on the same line.

The LP 640 was fast and furious already. But, this time they have added another tequila shot of danger in the car by kicking the roof off. The entire experience in the already lunatic LP640 is now made atrocious. But, you know what, for a person like me who believes supercars need to impose fear, impose excitement, I am already loving this after a 30 second drive.

First of all, hats off Luc Donckerwolke for sketching such a gob smacking design. Consider him/her blind if he/she doesn’t turn at you as you pass by. It is irresistibly pretty. I mean convertible Ferraris are undoubtedly tempting. But, this Lambo is off that scale. This pompous car shouts, “Look at me”. Just like how all turn when they hear car tires squealing, hit the Lambos’ right most pedal a little too much and people will be eyeing you. Gee, I won’t be surprised if they begin spying you.

Yes, there are issues that you cannot see back from the inside of the car as the engine is a bit too high. But, I would like to think, no one would want to park behind a car with a huge exhaust. The other lunatic factor in this car is the roof. Here is where we needed Audi’s sensibility. The roof is manually installed and trust me; it takes time... a lot of time. And, the man who offered the car for the test warned that I shouldn’t be driving it post 100mph with the roof. I was so annoyed that I thought of going double the speed and let it undress its top forever. Why will you need a roof when you are driving such a car? Lamborghini is for showing-off. What is the point of doing it with your face hidden? Come on!!!

Slice the scissor doors open and slide into your Italian driving position. You will instantly begin to feel miles away from the windscreen. The funniest bit is that they have provided a Kenwood stereo with it. Whom are they kidding, eh? Why will you want to listen to Death Magnetic when there is a death magnet right behind you - a 6.5litre, V12 producing 631hp and 660nm. What really matters is the performance not the interior comfort or luxury.

Fire it up and I realise what I mentioned above was just worthless. Once the V12 is awaked, it is as if you have entered a new world filled with high-dosage of caffeine. Alternatively, if you insist I stick to my full-form of LP, it is as if you are in a world with a high-dosage of androgen. Yes, everything seems energetic. Everything seems hyperactive; everything seems on high alert. Blip the accelerator and the chassis twitches and the sound gets beefier confirming, “Yes, I am ready”.

It is quite a heavy car – 1665kilos and its intelligent traction control system sends 100% torque to the front or rear axles. In normal road conditions, it is sent to the rear. The only issue I was looking out for was the E-gear system. Right for upshift and left for downshift; as simple as it sounds. It engages very well and makes driving easy.

It is rapid from gear 1. Yes, it is a fast car and to me it is supposed to be like this. Once you shift to make quick progress, things get hairy. You reach 60mph in 3.4 seconds and the car continues to shatter your mind as it revs up to 8000rpm.

The cornering ability of the Murcielago was made civilised via the LP 640. In this one, it is an epic. It sticks its nose in the curb and slides its AWD system with ease. Since, it is an AWD system, you don’t hear much of tyre squealing. But, you hear the “swish” sound as the tyres reposition itself as you execute S-turns in speed and I must add, it does it in ease frankly. It seems more confident. Despite being without a roof, there is no hesitance, no resistance in this car that is otherwise prompted by the scuttle shake. There is hardly an instance when you feel the tail slipping off as there is so much grip – Pirelli 245/35 ZR 18 and 335/30 ZR 18 tires.

But, that doesn’t mean you cannot slide this car. You see, since the car has more rear-biased braking, you can actually flick the tail when you need to. God, I am being so childish, but, then that’s what supercars are supposed to do. They should make one feel like a kid who dreams of the impossible. Hit the brakes harder and the rear-end flicks. Hit the throttle soon after and you are sliding.

But, remember one thing. I strictly advise to be very cautious when you do such things in a Lamborghini specifically. This car is very unpredictable which makes it very interesting and nowhere near boring even after years of ownership. The immense grip that you get from this car doesn’t just make you but it challenges you to push it to the limit. Seriously, the moment you think this is the fastest you can take a turn in, the car responds, “Huh, you call that fast?!”. You can turn this thing in unbelievable speeds.

So, basically, the tires can grip at very high speeds. But, there is a limit, isn’t there? So, when you actually reach the limit, you are at a very, very high speed. And, stopping it at such speeds is frankly... God, I don’t want to even think about it. Let me put it this way, once you slip off in this car, say the last good things you want to say as those are your last moments on Planet Earth. Concisely, throughout your experience with this car, you can see the old man with a scythe in your rear-view mirror.

In that respect, it is very much like the LP 640 then. But, the difference is, this one has no roof which makes it even more dangerous. It is as unsafe as using a burst johnny is. The lunacy excites me. When all in the crowd will cheer out, “Murci, Murci” as supposed to Murcielago, you will be speeding in the cabin of the Murci yowling, “Mercy, Mercy”. You need to be bold to drive this car to the limit. Yes, really, it surprises you like the bull. You never know when it will attack you as you tease it with a red cloth. The roadster likes to play with you but once it realises it is being played, it reacts by jeopardising you.

This is then definitely a lunatic pervert. There is no doubt that this Lamborghini is a fast car, any doubts? And, its constant surprises in handling make it a lunatic. The car also comes with a launch control called “Thrust”. That is like speeding down a waterfall in an F1 powerboat. It is a flashy car that will definitely attract women. Besides, it is believed that women judge Lambo owners to be shallow. Well, that is what the angular ends on the car imply; you get me? – a pervert.

There is no other supercar that is so much exciting to drive. The constant surprises you get by the temperamental Lamborghini Murcielago LP 640 Roadster makes me adore it. This undoubtedly has to be in the list of people who have a spare cash of £ 200,000.

The other day, my buddy insisted I taste the new soya crisps snacks. He described it as being “addictive”. If that was addictive in the edible section, this LP is addictive in the drivable section. I mean, seriously, I had to be literally dragged out of the car by me ears like an 8 year old from a toy store. I simply love it.

PS: Oh, I almost forgot. For the ones who are interested on the fuel economy – 4.5kms/litre.
Attached Thumbnails
The Lamborghini LP640 Roadster Experience-lp640-roadster-italy.jpg  

The Lamborghini LP640 Roadster Experience-lp-iv-italy.jpg  

The Lamborghini LP640 Roadster Experience-lp-ii.jpg  

The Lamborghini LP640 Roadster Experience-lp-i.jpg  

The Lamborghini LP640 Roadster Experience-lp640-roadster-interior.jpg  

The Lamborghini LP640 Roadster Experience-lp-iii-italy.jpg  

Old 27th October 2008, 04:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

What country did you drive it in? How come no pictures of the car that you tested?
Old 27th October 2008, 04:21   #3
BHPian

Hey there, thanks for reading.

It was driven in Italy.

Umm, we are disallowed to photograph while testing as we are not professional test drivers.
Old 28th October 2008, 03:49   #4
BHPian

Another great review. I've been reading them since the very first one here, (Also was the first one to comment on many of them :P )

Also, very engaging writing style.
Please keep up the good work.
Regards.
Old 28th October 2008, 14:51   #5
BHPian

Wonderful wonderful read.

Geez, you people should go professional!!

Exactly wht Jeremy Clarkson said in the 'Supercar Showdown' DVD. The LP640 offers so much grip around corners, that one tends to push the speed further and further, till when it finally does give away, the speeds are ridiculously high, and well, god save you then!

Was there any difference in the handling characteristics with the roof knocked off?
Old 28th October 2008, 15:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Great read. Well written. Wish they had allowed you to take some fotos with you behind the steering.
Old 29th October 2008, 14:49   #7
BHPian

Hey all, thanks for reading and appreciating.

@Amien - And, thanks for your support.

@Nitronium - Yea, we hope we are professional enough.

Umm, there is a lot of difference between driving it with the roof up and down. While it is up, it still behaves like a free dog but with a longer leash. With the roof down, it behaves like a raging dog/bull.

To simply put it, one may expect to have wind resistance while driving it with the roof down. But, they will be surprised to experience absolutely nothing. Even with roof on top, the car handles well but then you cannot stretch it to the limit.

Mind you, the above test was done with the roof down.

@csentil - Yes, we too hope the same. Who doesn't like showing off? But, then rules are rules. It is only till we get permission.
Old 29th October 2008, 15:58   #8
BHPian

Nice write-up there! Keep it up!

Edit:
Quote:
To simply put it, one may expect to have wind resistance while driving it with the roof down. But, they will be surprised to experience absolutely nothing.
I am surprised. Can anyone explain how it helps the aerodynamics with the roof down at higher speeds?

Last edited by TomRider : 29th October 2008 at 16:02.
Old 29th October 2008, 17:40   #9
BHPian

@TomRider - Thanks for reading and appreciating.

You see when you drive this Lambo with the roof top there is a vulnerability for it to dismantle once you go post 100-105mph. So, they advice to keep the roof down. Remember, it is a soft top.

If it had a hard top, it would be tad more fast as there is no wind resistance as there would be no space into which air could flow into. Now, we say "tad" cause most supercar designs now are quite aerodynamic.

When the roof is off, there is space between the windscreen and between the seats where wind can/might get into thereby attempting to slow down the machine.

Hope this clarifies your doubt.
Old 29th October 2008, 18:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Wel wel one lucky person to atleast get to ride this.

I do agree with you guys that this car can draw eyeballs towards it and leave you drooling. The rear silencers make you feel like a bat mobile with some gizmo which can shoot something from the rear
Old 29th October 2008, 20:21   #11
BHPian

Ah, that makes sense. Also, i saw that assembling the roof is pretty hard and very primitive for a car of that price bracket??
Old 30th October 2008, 11:27   #12
BHPian

I am so jealous buddy... I have a friend of mine who is a writes test reviews and with him, we get to drive all sorts of cars but this one is beyond comparison and heaven on earth for any car Enthusiast.....

Take me along when you go next time... I will help you carry bags..........
Old 30th October 2008, 12:53   #13
BHPian

what an experience it would have been. Driving and Lambo, that itself explains the whole experience. And you have even given us the FE

This is an awesome review
Old 31st October 2008, 03:44   #14
BHPian

@maddy42 - Thanks for reading. Yes, you could call us lucky. Although, grabbing the guiding wheel of a Veyron will make us the luckiest.

@Nitronium - Yes, quite "primitive" for the price tag.

@dhall_gagan - Thanks for reading.

Really?! What cars do you test?! Could you please share your reviews?!

You needn't carry bags. Just bring along bucket loads of passion, enthusiasm and courage.

@backrub
- Thanks for reading and appreciating.

Ah!!! if FE means full-experience, then we will be the happiest people on Earth now. We have always intended to give our readers the full in-car experience.

Last edited by Brosreview : 31st October 2008 at 03:48.
Old 31st October 2008, 16:32   #15

very well written review.Thanks to brosreview team.bro,how do you compare this car with Ferrari 599 GTB.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks