Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2008, 16:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

So you are not considering Hyundai Sonata at all? And what about the likes of Jetta?
Old 7th November 2008, 13:44   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
Ym-enjn- top speed which you have mentioned is probably for manual tranny- beyond 150 it lost all esteem when I was driving it. Corolla AT somewhere I read- does 180 kmph - but seems very unrealistic to attain in real life condition except - expressways - I guess.
Nothing mentioned in booklet about AT or manual tranny, it should be same for both I think but would be under ideal conditions, so you are correct practically it would be between 150 ot 170 at top reving as its only 4 gears.

In the Altis manual model the fifth gear should then take it to over 200+ ? Why not go for the manual one?

Is your Verna AT or manual?
Old 7th November 2008, 14:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
1) In the Altis manual model the fifth gear should then take it to over 200+ ? Why not go for the manual one?

2) Is your Verna AT or manual?
1) ACI reports that Altis goes to 205 kmph in 5th gear @ 6100 rpm.

2) IIRC, Verna is not available in AT format.
Old 8th November 2008, 23:47   #34
BHPian

Corolla AT cannot go to 205 in real life , I can bet after my experience with it may be if its going down hill on a long , very long stretch may be that may be possible - theoretically if the gear ratios at max rpm permit it technically- I ain't too sure.

Manual transmission car is now not on the cards for me as I have got addicted to the comfort of driving AT as I drive a lot in city (in terms of time consumed in commute) and dont mind even the comfort in long highway drives as an option and that the reason I am looking for a car with AT and also with tiptronic/ manual over ride. Currently Laura, Superb, Civic, Corolla , Jetta and Sonata are aavilable within my financials limits on the edge. Sonata CRDi ATis not available now so ruled out- petrol is not scorching/ satisfying in performance nor economical to run with a very poor resale value expected. Superb is very costly to own and run . I even test drove a 5 years used Accord V6 extensively today but overall found new Corolla slightly better ( for peace of mind while comparing with this Accord V6) but might as well get a 2009 manufactured model of Corolla if I got to wait for 5-6 weeks for delivery (if at all we can decide for it). Though Accord will cost 8 lacs( its done 30K kms) but very badly kept by the guy who owns it. Only option seems to be a Laura AT now within my budget.

This month's ACI has about 50 vehicles likely to be released in next 12 months which mentions about new Laura , New Accords, Captiva AT & Fortuner ( but they mentioned most likely it - Fortuner may come with MT intially- so no point even waiting for it.)

While discussing about Corolla & Fortuner with the dealer- today- dealer mentioned that they are also expecting final news from the Toyota about Fortuner in next 2 weeks. Keeping fingers crossed. However, SUV (either Captiva AT or Fortuner AT would depend on which one comes first with 4X4 option) and it will replace the Scorpio .

For city commute , I am still weighing between a Corolla & Laura and hence, keeping track of your opinions and info on this thread. Thanks to all for your replies. It helps me in taking an informed decision.

Last edited by shatrughna : 8th November 2008 at 23:52.
Old 13th November 2008, 18:12   #35
BHPian

good report. Go for Altis. There were some posts on the lack of quality of Lauras.
All the best
Old 18th November 2008, 09:24   #36
BHPian

Hi Friends - just an update here!
After much tossing and turning - have decided to go for a Laura AT considering all pros and cons. Only confusion is now the color- there are very limited choices. We preferred a black car with black/ grey interiors but its not available. Black interior is available in only white/ silver. fourth color is capuccino biege which has ivory interiors. we want to avoid the lighter shades of interiors because of kids .
Old 19th November 2008, 00:14   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Shatrughna,

What made you choose the Laura AT over the Jetta AT?

I'm in a similar dilemma, Altis AT vs Jetta AT

The Jetta is going to be sent for a TD tomo, will TD the Altis AT soon to finalize.
Old 19th November 2008, 16:37   #38
BHPian

@ Sahil- I have read your post on Jetta with the deals they are offering. I chose Laura because of following -
1) value for money as on date IMHO.
2) has more service centres and dealers compared to VW-both are close to my office but only Skoda has one near my house as well- more so on the routes that I often take - Mumbai - Jaipur- Ludhiana.
3) My daughter is bowled over by Sunroof which Jetta doesnt have, plus Xenons lights, electrically adjustable driver seats.
4) I am getting 75K corporate discount plus insurance @50% & additional dealer discount of Rs. 42500/- plus mat, mud flap, mirror lock and teflon for Laura.
5) have calculated cost of servicing in approx. 50K kms in the range of 60K in 2.5 years which is ok for me hoping no major breakdown/ spare parts issue crops up.
fingers crossed.
Old 4th December 2008, 10:56   #39
BHPian

Here is an update. Skoda is also offering till 31st Dec- 3 years 45K maintenance package now. This makes it now a sweeter deal- I guess.
Old 4th December 2008, 11:07   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Here is an update. Skoda is also offering till 31st Dec- 3 years 45K maintenance package now. This makes it now a sweeter deal- I guess.
So did u buy the Laura AT or still prospecting?

Elito
Old 4th December 2008, 14:22   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
So did u buy the Laura AT or still prospecting?

Elito
I have paid the token booking money to the dealer with an instruction that get me the best deal and been waiting for better offer in this month. The ball is in his court and depends on him when he delivers the car to me. I dont have any issues in waiting till this month end as well so either I may get it in third week of Dec or 1st week january I guess.

The year end effect on resale doesnt matter much to me as I have been waiting for it for 3 years and also plan to keep it for at least 3 years - if everything goes well.
Old 16th January 2009, 12:48   #42
BHPian

Here is an update. I have picked up Laura AT- silver colour on 14th Jan. Will share my buying experience and intial impressions in separate thread.

Mods may please, change the title of the thread appropriately - may I suggest " Tested Corolla Altis AT before buying Laura AT"
Old 16th January 2009, 12:52   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Here is an update. I have picked up Laura AT- silver colour on 14th Jan. Will share my buying experience and intial impressions in separate thread.

Mods may please, change the title of the thread appropriately - may I suggest " Tested Corolla Altis AT before buying Laura AT"
Congrats man on your fantastic purchase !!!
Enjoy the ride and drive safe
Old 17th January 2009, 03:58   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Another Altis joins the club

Got delivery of our Altis A/T today. A sky blue which will be with us in Bombay(regn 3334) and a white one(regn 3355) will be in Pune. Paid Rs.2000 each for the numbers, without reciept.

Intial impressions:
-A complete no non sense car, has everything one needs and more without being too flamboyant.
-Engine is very smooth. Am trying to run her in well so kept her below 3000rpm. But the feeling I get is that the engine is not as free revving as a Honda. Nonetheless it is very smooth and low end torque is excellent!
-Driving position one of the best I have had in any car. The lower back support keep you very comfy and since it's electronically controlled, you get the exact position you need.
- Steering is gem! A boon to twist around in traffic.
-Interior quality is great both of leather and plastics. Center console ads an upmarket feel an look.
-FE so far with 75% highway,25% city driving with AC is 12.5kmpl.
-Xenons are a boon, add to the exterior look at night, especially with the sky blue color they match well. Provide brilliant vision, although I wish the high beam was xenon too.
- Outside noise is very well cut out, unlike most jap cars.
-Only complaint is that you buy a car that cost almost 15 lakhs OTR mumbai and don't get any matting with it !

Other options considered/Why I picked the Altis:
- Budget was 12 to 20 lakhs.
- I found myself using the Accord mostly during the daytime traffic after the BMW came last year, which is and still will be my most used car.
- Have been looking for a car for a year now, test drove the new Accord, Jetta DSG.
- Ruled out the Accord as I mentioned the car would be used only within the city and most often in traffic during the day. Hence I wanted something smaller as the Accord often is a pain to fit into tight parking spots etc. I often found myself picking the NHC whenever I needed to get out in the day. So a perfect size would be something between the two. Was very keen and almost finalized on the Jetta, but after pondering over it I realised the Jetta was not what I needed. Since the car would never be used on the highway nor would it clock many kms to justify the 4 lakh premium over the Altis.
- Had booked the civic hybrid but thanks to Honda's alleged scam my booking was cancelled. The only thing that attracted me to the Civic was the hybrid engine and I was not keen on the normal petrol A/T.
- I found myself at peace after TDing the Altis as it had a higher seating than the Civic which is the biggest reason for me not considering the Civic 1.8. My focus was not on performance either as there is not much you can tap in traffic either.
- Got Rs.60,000 off on Dec 2008 manufactered Altis, after which I sealed the deal.

Fittings to come:
- Will be getting tints put tomo.
- Have a Nokia bluetooth car kit lying around unfitted for a while so will get it fitted in this car.
- Contemplating on rubber. I find the bridgestones it has come with rather noisy. Although 215/60R15 is my top choice I fear they will put too much load on the car. Besides it's rare to find that size.
- Will get the chrome grill fin fitted during the first service.
Old 17th January 2009, 13:19   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Got delivery of our Altis A/T today. A sky blue which will be with us in Bombay(regn 3334) and a white one(regn 3355) will be in Pune. Paid Rs.2000 each for the numbers, without reciept.
Congratulations, on your thoughtful purchase. Post some pictures..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks