Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2009, 21:02   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I found a reciept in the car today that had the engine no etc printed and a date of 15th october. Not sure if that is the mfd date but incase it is then would my car be a part of the suspension recall?
If it is the one printed in red ink, computer generated and looks like a packing slip, it is normally found pasted on the front windshield. The date you refer to is the assembly/manufacture date. My car was assembled mid Sept 08.

No I dont think your car would be a part of the recall. Even my car mfg mid Sept 08 wasnt a part of it (checked with DSKT). That said, the brake screech is there. Have you experienced it?

Cheers!
Old 20th January 2009, 21:05   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
15.5 is a great one that too in A/T i suppose. Your smart running in tech showing its effect. I haven't got a chance yet to take it on highways.
The car is quite at home on the highway too. You must take her for a run on the highways.

Also, I have a MT not an auto.

Rgds,
Old 20th January 2009, 21:11   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm getting between 11.5 and 12 kmpl three times, all city driving at average speed(from MID) at around 25 kmph. Almost no A/C. I have manual.
With AC on, 11 to 11.5 KMPL v/s 15.5 on the hwy. Havent tried w/o AC.

Not sure if the MID reading is accurate, though I'd love to believe it is. I think most people agree that full tank to full tank (auto shut off, no over filling) is the best way to measure fuel consumption

Cheers!
Old 20th January 2009, 21:40   #64
Senior - BHPian

I just found out that the Civic comes with a feature called "brake assist". Does the Corolla have it.
Old 20th January 2009, 21:42   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Hey R2D2, that's really good to mileage. But please describe in detail the driving experience of the Altis. How is the car on highways.
Thanks vid6639. Guys, you may see my replies are more common than the common fly. Apologies but I wished to reply to any questions directed at me and at times offer my 2C worth.

Experience on the highway was very good. I dont believe I can get a car that is better VFM than this. My better half slept like a baby most of the time. That should tell you something.

The car is smooth. Didnt throw it around, as it's being run in. Also with family I tend to be a sober driver. Very good seats. As Sahil says, you can adjust the driver's seat precisely to your liking. Means no backpain or discomfort. The car is rather softly sprung so it absorbs bumps and potholes with quite a bit of elan (the 9G thuds).

Frankly it is a great family car..targetted more to the 35+ crowd with family in tow. The boot is spacious and you will be surprised at how much it can accomodate. 3 suitcases went in with ease with room left over for some odds and ends.

I am happy with the fuel efficiency and overall ownership experience so far. The only fly in the ointment has been the brake noise.

Cheers!
Old 20th January 2009, 21:48   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I just found out that the Civic comes with a feature called "brake assist". Does the Corolla have it.
No, the TCA doesnt have brake assist. Brake assist increases braking power/boost in emergencies just in case the driver hasnt been able to apply the brakes with full pressure for any reason.

Cheers!
Old 20th January 2009, 21:56   #67
Senior - BHPian

you have the 1.8L model i suppose do you think its worth paying 1.5 lakhs more for it than the base version? atleast in Blore its 1.4 lakhs more on Road.
i think you get leather,hid ,ele seats etc
Old 20th January 2009, 22:03   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
you have the 1.8L model i suppose do you think its worth paying 1.5 lakhs more for it than the base version? atleast in Blore its 1.4 lakhs more on Road.
I thought it was worth popping 1.4L more for leather seats, electric adjustable driver seat, HID, rear sun shade and whatever other extras it has over the G version. So I bought the GL. Opinions differ on this. I prefer factory fitted accessories as far as possible. Even the mats are Toyota (no freebies were given unfortunately). The only exception has been the stereo which I swapped for a JVC DVD receiver with Infinity speakers + an Infinity 4 channel amp.

Rgds,
Old 21st January 2009, 10:16   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
That said, the brake screech is there. Have you experienced it?
Yes, I think I did hear a slight screech a few times. I thought it probably was due to water or dust. Should I report this during the first service?

Also i hear a slight squeak from the sunglasses holder flap. And maybe one from the rear parcel tray, but it maybe the toolkit moving around in the boot too. Nothing thats getting on my nerves yet, nonetheless bloody jap cars
Old 21st January 2009, 10:40   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Nope no BA only ABS with EBD. Although the Altis has larger brake discs both front and rear and I remember the magazines mentioning that the Altis has a shorter stopping distance but the Civic has better brake feel.
Old 21st January 2009, 17:59   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
The car is quite at home on the highway too. You must take her for a run on the highways.

Also, I have a MT not an auto.

Rgds,
Haven't got a chance yet, but eagerly looking forward to hit soon and to set a new high speed record over 200 kmph for myself. My car is now 2050 kms old, so I think its out of the run in period. (I did max RPM cut off when it crossed 1000 cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
The base variant L by itself is nicely loaded and the fabric seats and upholstery is also one of the best I have seen. In the GL the headlamp washers are almost of no use in Indian conditions (not faced snow or mud till yet), leather is good and it is of very superior overall quality and fitting than any aftermarket fitment, but the other three things, in my view, just make the car special, which are, 1) HID lights(White)- You've got to have this, its a head turner, the combination of yellow and white makes it stand out from any other car. 2) Electronic seats - very special, useful and effective, 3) chromatic rear view mirror- Very useful, didn't expected that Its such a nice feature. Now you decide.

Quote:
Yes, I think I did hear a slight screech a few times. I thought it probably was due to water or dust. Should I report this during the first service?

Also i hear a slight squeak from the sunglasses holder flap. And maybe one from the rear parcel tray, but it maybe the toolkit moving around in the boot too. Nothing thats getting on my nerves yet, nonetheless bloody jap cars
Yes, report them everything, you'll be glad to see their eagerness to help. I recently got an offer for another complete free service and checkup at 2000 kms as I told them that others are getting an average of 13-14 whereas I am just getting 12.
Old 21st January 2009, 20:30   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Let me see what DSKT in Pune have to say about that screech. Am taking it to them this Saturday. I am 99% sure it is not suspension but brake related. It is always at low speed and happens you apply the brakes even with a light touch on the pedal. You may be right....some contamination that is embedded in the pads could make this noise.

About the Jap cars, ...you have a BMW and this isnt a fair comparison. It is like comparing the Altis to a Tata Indica or Marina. But then the Japs especially the premium models like Acura, Lexus or Infiniti are their equals or even better if US customer feedback is the guide. And no, I honestly dont want to start an argument about that. Too tired.

Cheers!
Old 21st January 2009, 20:44   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Haven't got a chance yet, but eagerly looking forward to hit soon and to set a new high speed record over 200 kmph for myself. My car is now 2050 kms old, so I think its out of the run in period. (I did max RPM cut off when it crossed 1000 cheers

The base variant L by itself is nicely loaded and the fabric seats and upholstery is also one of the best I have seen. In the GL the headlamp washers are almost of no use in Indian conditions (not faced snow or mud till yet), leather is good and it is of very superior overall quality and fitting than any aftermarket fitment, but the other three things, in my view, just make the car special, which are, 1) HID lights(White)- You've got to have this, its a head turner, the combination of yellow and white makes it stand out from any other car. 2) Electronic seats - very special, useful and effective, 3) chromatic rear view mirror- Very useful, didn't expected that Its such a nice feature. Now you decide.

Yes, report them everything, you'll be glad to see their eagerness to help. I recently got an offer for another complete free service and checkup at 2000 kms as I told them that others are getting an average of 13-14 whereas I am just getting 12.
ym-enjn...take it easy for 2500-3000 kms or more. It'll pay off in the long run. Also, 200 kmph on Indian roads is v risky in this car. True all the extras are nice to have. TKM are very responsive and they give you a call shortly after you write in. Very helpful. Great customer service unlike the other Jap brand that takes you for granted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Nope no BA only ABS with EBD. Although the Altis has larger brake discs both front and rear and I remember the magazines mentioning that the Altis has a shorter stopping distance but the Civic has better brake feel.
Trust the auto magazines to describe some things in intangible and silly terms. Precisely why I am here on TBHP. Braking is definitely better than the TC 9G courtesy the bigger discs. Not sure what 'better brake feel' is. If it stops in a shorter distance than the Civic, then it is doing a better job...'feel' be damned. In an emergency or otherwise better brakes are what you need.

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 21st January 2009 at 20:48.
Old 22nd January 2009, 00:48   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

@r2d2- it's not about me owning a Bmw or not. I'm not even comparing the two cars. However jap cars have the trait of sqeaking and rattling. I have an accord and city too, both of which begun sqeaking and rattling over time.
Since I strongly considered the jetta before the altis comparing these two would be fair. You gotta hand it to the Germans for their fit and build.
Old 22nd January 2009, 17:18   #75
BHPian

Responsiveness of sales teams / Customer Relations teams- Japs and Euro manufacturers - here is some experience sharing. ( regarding poor response from the dealer).

TCA- I was eagerly looking forward to TD TCA ever since its launch and despite several attempts ( registration with the dealers at Malls where cars were displayed) , I never got TD. They dont have a dealer in my area so I guess they were not able to find it convenient to visit just for a TD.

I wrote through the link on the website. Had a reply from TKM followed up through mail and the next day - received 2 calls from two dealers. Fixed up TD with one. Got follow up call from other dealer as well. When the car arrived for TD - there was a letter of apology from the dealers side.
Should I say more! Yeah I am saving for Fortuner !

Skoda- wrote to parent company thru website as Indian website was down. 2 days letter a reply thru email - advising to contact Indian counterpart. Saving grace - they had marked a copy to india team also.
Got a call from the dealer- and subsequently proceeded.

VW- again wrote thru Indian website link. No reply no call for 4 days. 5th day - got a call from the dealer - asking whether I was interested. no reference to my feedback about no repsonse from the dealer instead said that we got your lead thru our website.

Mahindra- aftersales - waiting for a spare part since 15th Oct 2008. No response from the company or dealer. Whenever, I check- I have to narrate the whole story and read out some reference numbers - wait for 5 minutes. Call back again as they would check with the stores whether it has come and I am informed that they would call me in a weeks time (which obviously means that 'you call us back' as till date they have never called back). Next I am due to call them on 24th Jan. !!

Here is a Korean side too- damn good- nice follow up for service appts and also insurance renewals.

Satisfaction levels for those I have dealt with-
Koreans (santro, accent,verna)- best.
Japs (suzuki,HC and partly Toyota)- good enough.
German(skoda)- Ok.
Indian ( indica and scoprio)- less said the better.

Last edited by shatrughna : 22nd January 2009 at 17:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks