Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2008, 00:40   #1
BHPian

My Diesel Experiance : Swift Vdi

this long diwali gave me and a couple of friends an opportunity to plan a getaway to goa.train tickets were not available till the second week of november and due to past horrible experiance of the volvo we decided against it.

the only option was to drive down and iam the only onw who can drive.
so we decided to start on 29th afternoon in my LPG fitted petra1.6.after some surfing i realised that there are only 2 lpg stations in goa and availability is inconsistent.driving on petrol would mean a big fuel expense.
so we decided to drive in my friends dads swift vdi.

my previous experiance with a diesel car was my indica dls which i never enjoyed driving.i had not driven a diesel car for one year now.
after i started the car i was greeted with the diesel engine clatter which i was not used to for one year.windows up and AC on meant that the sound reduced 50%.
put it in first gear and the pick up is amaazing.second gear and suddenly i was reminded of my indica.there is massive drop in power.but as i pressed the throttle and the revs touched 2k the car just flew ahead and then the third and fourth and i was driving at 100!
i couldnt believe that i had reached 100 so fast considering the initial turbo lag.in fact i actually was wondering whether its really 100kmph or the speedo is tampered.the car really doesnt feel like its going at 80 or 100.the road noise is considerably less compared to my petra.i was beginning to enjoy my drive.

we reached chiplun by 9 pm and stayed at the mtdc bunglow out there.had drinks and some amazing fish and i was explaining to my friends about the turbo boost and the turbo lag.

left at 6am the next day and i foiund myself driving in thick fog for the next 35 odd kms!but the powerfull head lamps and fog lamps made things easier.
the swift drove admirably well in the ghats with sweeping curves.never ever i felt out of control.i just found it a tad underpowered on the ghats.
also almost always had to downshift while overtaking.maybe i am used to driving in my petra thats why.

reached goa and back without any hassles .we drove for a total of 1500kms in 4 days and got a healthy f.e of 19kmpl with windows rolled down only while having a smoke.

cheers guys!!
goa is happening!!
Old 4th November 2008, 09:01   #2
TOR
BHPian

nice write up, how old is the swift?

The turbo lag disappears after sometime-replaced with a linear power delivery in the diesel 1.3 in my experience.
Old 4th November 2008, 13:54   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
i just found it a tad underpowered on the ghats.
also almost always had to downshift while overtaking.maybe i am used to driving in my petra thats why.
Swift has overdrive on 4th and 5th meaning one revolution of the engine equal more than 1 turn of the wheels.

So anytime doing hills you need acceleration you have to use the third gear that has the necessary torque.

Swift diesel is not underpowered it is designed for a sporty ride on level surface.

Your extremely fast 0-100 experience in the Swift is a case in point.

p.s. i don't know petra's details so will not comment on that.
Old 4th November 2008, 14:24   #4
BHPian

[quote=TOR;1039468]nice write up, how old is the swift?

the swift is around 15 months old and has completed 25k kms
Old 4th November 2008, 14:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AadiAtPlay View Post
Swift has overdrive on 4th and 5th meaning one revolution of the engine equal more than 1 turn of the wheels.

So anytime doing hills you need acceleration you have to use the third gear that has the necessary torque.

Swift diesel is not underpowered it is designed for a sporty ride on level surface.

Your extremely fast 0-100 experience in the Swift is a case in point.

p.s. i don't know petra's details so will not comment on that.

didnt know abt the overdrive aadi.
overall i found the swift a quick vehicle and a torquey one once the turbo sets in.
btw the boot swallowed 3 big sized bags!
the only let down was the left side door and the boot door which kept rattling.
the petra has 100bhp with 137nm torque and can climb hills even in 4th gear!
Old 4th November 2008, 21:33   #6
BHPian

Hey pal, close the windows and put on the AC, and you ll never know it is a diesel and diesel engines are famous for their torque, they can pull up easily on any road with any load.
Old 5th November 2008, 23:42   #7
BHPian

yeah dude!
the car is amazingly torquey.
the fuel economy that we got was great too with a spirited driver on seat
Old 12th November 2008, 09:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
yeah dude!
the car is amazingly torquey.
the fuel economy that we got was great too with a spirited driver on seat