Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2008, 09:27   #1
BHPian

2008 M3 Sedan

Well, let me start off by saying this is my first written review. If you think its crap, then please tell me to keep my day job

The looks:
So getting back to the car. Firstly the looks. When I first saw it I thought it was the ugliest car produced for $80K. I mean the lines are just too busy. A few months in I started to like the new looks, I mean BMW do have the ugliest cars in the business right now, but at least its not a Ford Ikon ugly. What I like about design is the front end, matched by only a few iirc: Audi RS4, S5, SL63, Z06 etc.

The sound: When it first drove up to, it sounded terrible and I still think at idle it sounds like an old Honda beater. Though once you get in, and floor it the sound gets better, not orgasmic like my vette or any of its competitors but its a start.

The ride: The car has a near perfect set-up. It's not so rough that you're scared of every pothole, but its not as smooth as a Lexus. It's the best of both worlds.

The drive: This car is a phenomenal driving machine, and hence the M badge. It handles very well. I tested out the braking by going 100km/hr and braked as hard as I could. It stopped very short and in a straight line without so much as a screech. I was impressed. I then took it on the highway, its a fast car, you would not notice how fast you are going until you look at the speedometer. Around a hard turn going 120km/hr, I could feel the grip and I was not even going all out. I enjoyed it very much. Though all good things come to an end. Case in point, the BMW's engine, its marvelous but only when you are in the high rpm. For a car that I would be driving every day, its worthless because I would have to drive everywhere I go in second gear. It's impractical for road use. Second flaw related to the engine once again, it's torque. A mere 295lb.ft for such a heavy and powerful car. what's the point of having 400 and some hp if you have no torque. It's competitors have enough tq. to match the hp.

The interior: Don't expect anything nice in it. Like every BMW, the cheapest materials are used in making the interior. Cheap plastic, cheap design. The only positives is it is well put together.

I know my bias has come through in this review, but the truth of the matter is, it's hardly a competitor compared to its rivals the C63 AMG, and the Audi RS4.

Verdict: Buy a C63 AMG. You save a few grand, you have much much more power! and everything about the car is orgasmic.

NRIturbo.
Old 11th November 2008, 10:43   #2
Team-BHP Support

wow thats harsh.
Old 11th November 2008, 11:37   #3
BHPian

Hey there, that's honestly harsh. Honestly expressing oneself is a good characteristic for a car reviewer. But, at times, as car reviewers we are expected to substantiate our words with data.

Since, you own a Vette, we reckon you are a person who sees power beyond anything. In that case, your "verdict" seems appropriate; the C63 AMG will make one happy.

But, your review fits in a 4-door sports sedan category. In that case, you need to bend the priorities to being practical first and then powerful.

The look factor is subjective. A few of our members too refer to the BMW as becoming lazy aka fat. But, that is being stylish in today's world. Never heard of the Ford Ikon you mentioned but we disagree with the BMW being the "ugliest" manufacturers. Sure, they have made one or two bad designs. But that's about it.

The sound, we agree is not "orgasmic". The C63 rules that department. But, it is secondary in priority as it is a 4-door sports sedan.

In our opinion, the reason why the M3 sedan wins over the other two is as it is more involving to drive than the RS4 and comparatively has more rear-leg room, not a gas guzzler and does not have a hard ride like the C63.

It is the overall spectrum of talent in the M3 that makes it a winner; performance on the track, decency on the road.

But, if you are solely seeking performance, the C63 will definitely blow you away.
Old 11th November 2008, 12:10   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosreview View Post
Hey there, that's honestly harsh. Honestly expressing oneself is a good characteristic for a car reviewer. But, at times, as car reviewers we are expected to substantiate our words with data.

Since, you own a Vette, we reckon you are a person who sees power beyond anything. In that case, your "verdict" seems appropriate; the C63 AMG will make one happy.

But, your review fits in a 4-door sports sedan category. In that case, you need to bend the priorities to being practical first and then powerful.

The look factor is subjective. A few of our members too refer to the BMW as becoming lazy aka fat. But, that is being stylish in today's world. Never heard of the Ford Ikon you mentioned but we disagree with the BMW being the "ugliest" manufacturers. Sure, they have made one or two bad designs. But that's about it.

The sound, we agree is not "orgasmic". The C63 rules that department. But, it is secondary in priority as it is a 4-door sports sedan.

In our opinion, the reason why the M3 sedan wins over the other two is as it is more involving to drive than the RS4 and comparatively has more rear-leg room, not a gas guzzler and does not have a hard ride like the C63.

It is the overall spectrum of talent in the M3 that makes it a winner; performance on the track, decency on the road.

But, if you are solely seeking performance, the C63 will definitely blow you away.

Hey that's an amazing way to put it. You are absolutely right about the M3 being more involving, I left that part out haha. But I don't hate BMW, I only what they are producing lately, I would love to own an E46 M3 anyday. But yes, its true I am power inclinded, but the M3 doesn't have the bang for buck like the C63 or the handling and driver involvement of the EVO 10
Old 12th November 2008, 03:11   #5
BHPian

Hey there, it is quite evident that you don't hate the BMW. But, you are surely disappointed.

Well, while you compare the M3 with the Evo X, we must say the Evo X encourages more driver involvement.

We will be looking forward to reviews from you.
Old 12th November 2008, 03:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

The M3 is made for a specific purpose and torque is not a requirement for that. I dont think M3 guys care too much about driveability.

For people who want torque BMW makes the 335i. No wonder a Corvette guy likes the C63...they use the same formula to make power ie displacement.

Most Viewed