Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2009, 18:49   #1
BHPian

One more Bull joins the team

This is my first post in Team-Bhp and wanted it to be about something good. So I thought it would be nice to share my experiences to get by buddy in hand. I was planning for the bull for pretty long time, but my financial status was not allowing me to go for one. Once I got the chance and without wasting any second I called the TATA dealer, RF motors, Cochin. Even thought I need to use it in Bangalore, I decided to get it registered in Kerala for the benefit of road tax. There was a difference of about 90k on the on-road price between Kerala and Karnataka. I was ready to face the cops in Bangalore with the tips I got from team-bhp . My target was Safari 2.2 Lx in Cycus Grey as EX was out of my budget. They were very happy to take the order but once I said Cycus Grey all happiness went away. They had no stock of that particular color and they even told me that TATA has stopped the production of Cycus Grey in Safari LX version. Since I am not convinced by their explanations I enquired in Prerana Motors, Bangalore. They told me a different story that TATA has stopped delivery of Cycus grey to South India , What a Crap ??? I was so shocked and could not believe that. I contacted with the RF motors sales manager and tried to put a request to TATA. He told me that he will try his best to get the vehicle as they are about to put a bulk order in next 2 days. Meanwhile the sales guys were trying hard to convince me on other colors like Black, Maroon as those were ready in their stock. They even offered me discounts and free body colored bumpers if I go for Black, but I was stick to my choice. By knowing that I won’t change, they asked me to wait to get the reply from TATA. Around 2 precious weeks were over in waiting . In these 2 weeks time the RF motors did not call me even once(typical TATA dealer). Finally I called the sales manager and enquired about the status of my request, the reply was negative. He told me that TATA did not accept the request and he had almost confirmed that they cannot deliver the vehicle which I need.

As the regular reader (silent) of Team-Bhp I had enough courage to write to TATA (to the mail id which is shown in the site) about the issue. In my surprise I got the reply in the very next day mentioning that they have forwarded the request to the Regional Manager for South India. But my excitement settled down soon as there was no response after that. I waited for 2 more days and sent a mail directly to the managers which were there in the first mail reply. That worked out, I got a call from Mumbai Regional office next morning apologizing for the wrong information given by the RF Motors . TATA has not stopped the production of LX in Cycus grey and that color is in demand. He also called the RF motors and asked them to put a new request for the vehicle. Haa.. At last I am going to get my dream car as I want.

I had to wait one more week to get my vehicle as it is newly ordered and it need to reach cochin from Pune. I have made a deal with RF motors for around 8.3 Lac on-road including body colored cladding, security system and fog lamps (thanks to govt for removing the duty). Unfortunately I could not go for pre inspection as I was in Bangalore that time. My dad and uncle went and inspected the car for any damages and asked to put the under body coating also(From 3M). It was a brand new one and clocked only 4.5KM, the manufacturing date was Dec 2008(this one I got from the serial number). I took the delivery on 17th December (I could not follow team-Bhp’s advice on this as the was required urgently)and was happy on the dealer on this regard. The car was well polished and had completed all the things I ordered. I got the key around 4PM in the evening and all the formalities have finished, I am free to fly!! I got into the vehicle and cranked the engine, it was smooth, clutch was smooth like a small car( I think TATA has done some improvements in clutch, as I am experienced with safari’s clutch before). The gear shift was bit tight, especially 1st gear, but if you are ready to take a TATA car, you should be ready to bare all these small issues.

I have clocked 4000kms till today without any major issues. Since I knew pretty well about TATA cars, I was expecting some minor niggles. But till now there were only 2, one was the real A/C blower was disconnected and other was the A/C cooling was not enough because the compressor gas was less. Now the car is in Bangalore and till now the cops didn’t make any problems because of Kerala registration. I have done only small upgrades like the head lamp bulb has changed to Phillips Rally 100/90 and have put the LLumar sun film. Done the Nitrogen filling in all 5 as even the TATA guys are recommending it for better riding comfort. I am looking for the bull to be ICEd and to get a set of new seat covers for long drives. Hopefully I have miles ahead

My Buddy

ATTACH]99726[/ATTACH]

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies. We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.
Attached Thumbnails
One more Bull joins the team-safari.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th February 2009 at 18:57. Reason: Smilie usage
Old 12th February 2009, 18:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

congrats on the new ride.
tbhp rules = 2 smileys max
get some spare 25A fuses. the AC might start eating them up
Old 12th February 2009, 19:07   #3
BHPian

Congrats!

Congrats LionX on your new acquisition. Went through your nice writeup of the pre - ownership experience. Now waiting for the ownership report.
Wishing you lots of kms of smooth driving! Drive safely.

Ranjith
Old 12th February 2009, 19:07   #4
BHPian

Congrats

Awesome piece of machinery this............enjoy the REAL admiration on the roads. The bull looks mean in this colour - probably that's why the dealers wanted you to choose between other colours because this one had a long waiting period.

What about ICE?

Some serious setup is warranted here. Do keep us posted on that and yes a short ownership review.

Keep if revving
Old 12th February 2009, 19:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats! Lovely color and pic.

Hope you have used a relay for your new bulbs.

About ICE ! when do we see you there?
Old 12th February 2009, 20:29   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I decided to get it registered in Kerala for the benefit of road tax. There was a difference of about 90k on the on-road price between Kerala and Karnataka. I was ready to face the cops in Bangalore with the tips I got from team-bhp .
With due respect, Team-bhp does not encourage tax evasion especially since you plan to use the vehicle full time on Bangalore roads. Yes, the LTT is excessive over here. Our tips are meant for visitors or people who have recently arrived
Old 12th February 2009, 22:35   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
With due respect, Team-bhp does not encourage tax evasion especially since you plan to use the vehicle full time on Bangalore roads. Yes, the LTT is excessive over here. Our tips are meant for visitors or people who have recently arrived
Ajmat,
Thank you for your advice, I do not have any plans to use the vehicle only in bangalore. I am planning to relocate to cochin soon, so to avoid the NOC and re-registration formalities I decided to go like this. Moreover it is our hard earned money which is going to these politicians pocket, which atleast I don't want.
Old 12th February 2009, 22:42   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Congrats! Lovely color and pic.

Hope you have used a relay for your new bulbs.

About ICE ! when do we see you there?
Thanks for the comment. Yes I have used Roots relay for the bulbs. About ICE, I am still in search of a good configuration(under my budget).
Old 12th February 2009, 23:25   #9
BHPian

Congrats, for a super bull.

From childhood, i am passionate about it.

Even after so many years of presence & niggling issues, this is the only car in which heart rules over brain.

Enjoy the bull fight!
Old 13th February 2009, 00:10   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Congratulations man.

I am glad that you were persistent with going to Tata about the color you want. Dealers want a quick buck and don't have the patience to go out of their way for a customer. They would prefer to sell you what is in stock.

Looks like they were outright lying to you that Tata refused to take the order.
Old 13th February 2009, 00:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats man! Happy driving in one of the best vehicles ever made by Indians

Even I've been dreaming of owning one since 1999
Old 13th February 2009, 00:27   #12
BHPian

Congrats on the buy.Just keep spare fuse's and you will be good to go hehe.
Enjoy your brand new car....
Old 13th February 2009, 08:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

congrats on your acquisition of new bull:-)

nice color choice and pic...
Old 13th February 2009, 09:01   #14
BHPian

Ths Tata Safari has always been one of my favourite. Nice pic!

Love the car since the first time i saw it (dont remember when)
Old 13th February 2009, 22:42   #15
BHPian

When I read the thread title, I thought it was a Lamborghini Murcielago you were talking about !!!

Anyway congrats on your purchase.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks