Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2009, 14:07   #1

Fiat 500 - no more Mr.Kent

Well, have always been a Mr.Kent. Drivin to work every 8:30 in my non-descript Santro. Exchanging polite nods in the elevator with people you think stay in the same building as you. The 'suit' peels off a bit only when I swing my car into the parking slot in a half audacious flip-the-bitch (well, almost one !).

The 500 changes everything!!

It starts with the key! the key is a foldable key You push the button and the key pops out !

Double takes, guy in Beemer slowing down & letting you overtake and following you, peeks inside the car, kids letting go of their game and rushing to see what-the-H-is-this? Guys in the big red BEST buses peeping in through your sun -roof!

The I-phone is no bling, this car is definitely one - with a capital B ! If you don't believe me, ask the guy who spent hours wiping out drool off the windscreen this morning.

The 500, drives like a dream.

Flooring the pedal, pushes you back into your seat. Sitting inside you wouldn't guess that she runs on a one-three multijet ! (though the clatter is a little pronounced when you are outside, but I guess it is got to do with the fact that she has run over 50k as a press car). The gear shift is just-right, fits snugly into your hands. And ya, the steering can be set electronically into the City mode for smooth, easy weaving in-and-out of traffic or the Highway mode for a little more feedback. While you are at-it, she hugs the road with both hands and corners like she's on rails!

The car is a two-door model, with the front seats foldable to allow entry into back seat. At last count about 5 kids clambered into the back (along with an assortment of crickets bats and stumps) for the joy ride last evening. It is a small car - in case you decide to use the back seats for any of the "traditional" back-seat activities, you will surely invent a new contorted position. (Vatsyayana - add one more to your list please)

Using Audio controls on the steering, you wonder, how didja get along in life without this? Hey, didja say you like song no. 35, lemme flip through to that - and ya, don't sweat, carry on with filing your nails.

While I could talk about quite pedestrian features like height adjust seats, digital fuel meter, on-board computer, service reminder, temperature display, date-time display, electric ORVM and the really cool (and drool) circular instrument cluster, the warning alarms in case you have not buckled up. What I really need to tell you about is - Blue & Me - which allows you to sync your Blue-tooth enabled phone with the car and read SMSes, scroll through the phone book and make your phone calls on the go.

This car is definitely 'toys-for-the-boys' ! Its a shame that it retails at over one-and-a-half million bucks (and that's ex-showroom) - which makes it as affordable as a trophy wife, the only difference being that fueling up with diesel is cheaper than not-so-occasional diamonds you need to buy for her.

After some real struggle with morality and fighting off the desire to run away with the car, the 500 has been returned today.

The suits come back on, the Santro seals my facelessness, what remains is the lingering memory of the thrust pushing me back into the seats when I floored the 500, the wide eyed smile of the girl near the mall her lips silently mouthing WOW !
Old 28th February 2009, 17:52   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You've obviously been 500-smitten! Do you work as an automotive journalist to have received the 500 press car?

Pictures speak a thousand words. More so when they are of a crowd-puller such as the 500.
Old 28th February 2009, 17:59   #3
BHPian

Your write up is very good. I am impressed with the narration and the command you have on the flow.
Old 28th February 2009, 19:23   #4
BHPian

that was one tight and clean writeup there kaushikz! really got a feel of your experience! must have been something! =) btw where are the pics?!?! you just have to post them as well!
Old 28th February 2009, 19:30   #5
rippergeo

Great write up. It really makes one understand the "point" of this car. I finally get it! Pity about the price though!

Old 28th February 2009, 20:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

That was a very good writeup about the 500; pics would make it great!
Old 28th February 2009, 21:12   #7
BANNED

Pics, OTR, dealer experience, freebies, after market accessories, colour?

Oh duh!!! Missed this part:-

Quote:
After some real struggle with morality and fighting off the desire to run away with the car, the 500 has been returned today.
Old 28th February 2009, 21:25   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

One hell of a first post after almost 3 years!!

Really liked your style of writing!
Old 1st March 2009, 13:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

I guess that's what I call a great review.

You get to know the "soul" of the car. You know what it was like to be driving one.

Everything else (the facts) is up there to check, just Google.

P.S. If it was with you for review purposes, you must have written a detailed one elsewhere. Where?
Old 9th March 2009, 18:00   #10

Apologise for the delay. Am trying to wrangle the grainy pictures clicked on my cousin's mobile when we borrowed the car from a friend who borrowed the car for the week-end from the powers-that-be. And no, while I'd love to be an auto journo, have to make to do with my kent style 9-9 desk job elsewhere. Thanks for your comments guys. Appreciated.
Old 9th March 2009, 18:28   #11
BHPian

Awesome experience there, Kaushik. It is indeed a dream machine. Better do fast work with that mobile!!!
Old 9th March 2009, 18:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

I have been seeing a white 500 almost everyday now. It really is a drool machine. Liked your style of writing too.
Old 9th March 2009, 20:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant review... straight from the heart and its no surprising that a little Fiat can do this to you.
Old 9th March 2009, 20:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

That is definitely one awesome car. Even though the BMW Mini is much more of a driver's car, the 500 is much more oomph and drool
Old 9th March 2009, 21:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Very nicely written. Even the other one you have written in another thread is a beautiful description. Guess your writting skill are immaculate
Well only if 500 was in a normal hatchback price!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks